ADVERTISEMENT

This Could Be Fun for The CFPlayoff Committee

PittFamily2

Sophomore
Mar 11, 2018
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...-playoff-committee/ar-BBXOIZU?ocid=spartandhp

1 chaotic scenario that would be a nightmare for the College Football Playoff committee
Michelle R. Martinelli
4 hrs ago

If PITT doesn't get to a great bowl, or as usual they get screwed I turn my attention to other things like Chaos for the CFPlayoff committee.

I want to see the worst, hardest scenario, so when they get down selecting the teams noones happy.

This is a good one!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...-playoff-committee/ar-BBXOIZU?ocid=spartandhp

1 chaotic scenario that would be a nightmare for the College Football Playoff committee
Michelle R. Martinelli
4 hrs ago

If PITT doesn't get to a great bowl, or as usual they get screwed I turn my attention to other things like Chaos for the CFPlayoff committee.

I want to see the worst, hardest scenario, so when they get down selecting the teams noones happy.

This is a good one!
There is no chaos in that scenario.
LSU - Lock
OSU - Lock
Clemson Wins - Lock
Georgia Wins - Lock

Reactions: Ski11585
I'm rooting for chaos myself. I hope Clemson, LSU and OSU all lose. It is certainly possible. Then you have a bunch of one loss teams, including conference champs Georgia, Utah and Oklahoma or Baylor. The only true lock in that scenario would be Georgia. I think it's very possible that the committee would decide to emphasize winning the conference championship game and give the nod to Utah and/or Oklahoma. This is why an 8 team playoff would work much better.

I'm rooting for chaos myself. I hope Clemson, LSU and OSU all lose. It is certainly possible. Then you have a bunch of one loss teams, including conference champs Georgia, Utah and Oklahoma or Baylor. The only true lock in that scenario would be Georgia. I think it's very possible that the committee would decide to emphasize winning the conference championship game and give the nod to Utah and/or Oklahoma. This is why an 8 team playoff would work much better.
There is no chaos scenario. The current system works just fine. If you must, then make it 6 teams and reward the 2 highest seeds with a bye.

OSU and LSU are Locks - LSU went undefeated in the best conference and OSU already smashed Wisky. The rest will sort itself out.

There is no chaos scenario. The current system works just fine. If you must, then make it 6 teams and reward the 2 highest seeds with a bye.

OSU and LSU are Locks - LSU went undefeated in the best conference and OSU already smashed Wisky. The rest will sort itself out.

If LSU wins then there are two one loss conference champs with the committee getting to pick #4. The system does not work fine.

Agree with the notion that LSU and Ohio State are locks. LSU has defeated Florida, Auburn, and Alabama. Ohio has beat Penn State, Wisconsin, and Michigan. Who the hell has Utah beat all year? Answer: Absolutely nobody. So you're at Georgia, LSU, Ohio State, and Clemson in their scenario. Very simple.

And if Clemson would also lose, then I think the fourth spot would be taken from them and given to the winner of Oklahoma and Baylor (you could also argue for Utah, but that's not the way I'd go).

LSU - Lock
OSU - Lock
Clemson Wins - Lock
Georgia Wins - Lock
They said if the undefeated all lose. A lot of scenarios including the same 4 teams getting in. My guess would be Clemson gets ousted and Utah or the OK/ Baylor winner gets in. LSU, tOSU and Georgia stay put.

Baylor and Utah control their own schedules. Play tougher non conference opponents.
No one controls their conference schedule. Everyone controls their OOC schedule, not just Baylor and Utah. And just about everyone can stand to play a tougher OOC schedule, not just Baylor and Utah.

I was thinking while watching this week’s ACC vs B10 matchups in BB. Wouldn’t it be great if they did that in FB. Take one of those early weeks of the season when everyone is playing their ‘necessary’ home game against some nondescript rent-a-win team and change it to an ACC vs B10 (or other P5 conference) challenge week. Sure would be a lot more interesting than the current setup. And it might help to settle some of these end-of-season debates about which team is more deserving of a playoff spot.

Of course, something like the above will never occur, just like the logical expansion to an 8-team playoff hasn’t happened (yet).

Baylor and Utah control their own schedules. Play tougher non conference opponents.

Wait, are you trying to tell me that it's possible to play a better non-conference schedule than Stone Cold Stephen F Austin (3-9), UTSA (4-8) and Rice(3-9)? Someone should alert the Baylor AD!

At least Utah played at BYU, who is decent and a rivalry game.

This woman is an idiot with her scenario, guessing she is no more than a casual fan.

LSU and Ohio St are in no matter what happens, they are both playing for the right to avoid #3 Clemson.

If Clemson somehow loses they drop behind both Utah or Oklahoma if they win, as good as they are playing now Clemson would have the weakest resume of any 1 loss team.

The only way you get any kind of chaos is if Clemson, Oklahoma, and Utah all lose. In that case the committee holds its nose and votes in Baylor as #4 and watches them lose by 30 to either Ohio St or LSU.

Reactions: Ski11585
This woman is an idiot with her scenario, guessing she is no more than a casual fan.

LSU and Ohio St are in no matter what happens, they are both playing for the right to avoid #3 Clemson.

If Clemson somehow loses they drop behind both Utah or Oklahoma if they win, as good as they are playing now Clemson would have the weakest resume of any 1 loss team.

The only way you get any kind of chaos is if Clemson, Oklahoma, and Utah all lose. In that case the committee holds its nose and votes in Baylor as #4 and watches them lose by 30 to either Ohio St or LSU.

They are mostly locks, but the perception would be a committee of people selecting deserving teams from a group of one loss programs. I believe in the past they stressed the need to win one's conference championship game, and it will be interesting if LSU or OSU lost and get in over conference champs with the same record.

I think tOSU, LSU, and Clemson are all locks, even if they lose. I think it would be interesting to see what happens if both Utah & Oklahoma lose. The only nightmare for the committee is having to make a decision on Baylor. There are a boatload of 2 loss teams that would walk the dog on Baylor. I don't even want to think about what one of the Top 3 would do to the Bears.

If Ohio St loses 59-0 to Wiscy they are in the playoff. If LSU loses 59-0 to UGA they are in the playoff. Literally.

LSU - Lock
OSU - Lock
Clemson Wins - Lock
Georgia Wins - Lock
Really? This is why I hate this playoff and CFB in general. This whole idea of picking the 4 "best teams", by calling your optometrist and EYE TESTING, makes it OK, to have these teams LOSE THE ACTUAL FRIGGIN CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES OF THEIR CONFERENCES ON A FIELD, IN AN ACTUAL GAME and then be HANDED WELFARE and given a 2nd chance and vaulted to the Final 4, ahead of teams THAT WON CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES IN AN ACTUAL GAME PLAYED ON A FIELD! It's laughable! And so many of you look at this and think it's the right thing to do! LOL

So if that would happen, you agree that it's right?
Yep. It’s a 4 team playoff (meaning that 4 MUST be selected). Who else gets in over them? Both teams have been dominant pretty much every single week. There is nothing that OU, Baylor, or Utah could do to pass them by. The conference championship game isn’t and shouldn’t be THAT important. Should it be used in event of tiebreaker scenarios? Yeah, I can get behind that.

And another thing...the XII has the only legit conference championship game because it’s the 2 best teams (and ironically, it’s the one league that already settles it on the field in regular season because all teams play each other). Other leagues have CCG based on dumb aspects like geography or legends or leaders (I fully realize the B1G is also based on geography but still felt the need to laugh at this designation) or other trivial reasons. These conferences will experience a notable degree of growth and maturation when they realize that divisions in a conference is dumb and not necessary. Have no problem if you want to schedule according to geography. There’s been CCG where one of the teams was like 8-4 and the other was 12-0 or 11-1. Just dumb. Both teams should be very good to great if the game wants to be taken seriously.

Last edited:
The conference championship game isn’t and shouldn’t be THAT important. Should it be used in event of tiebreaker scenarios? Yeah, I can get behind that.
It should be that important, at the very least if 2 teams have the same record, and one won it's CCG and the other didn't that should be the tie breaker. OR ELSE IT ISN'T EVEN A REAL SPORT, it's devolved into a beauty contest.

What it should be at a minimum is an 8 team playoff, the 5 P5 conference champs, WHOEVER THEY ARE, even if they are an 8-4 team that upset a 12-0 team in the CCG, then the best G5 team, plus pick 2 wild cards among THE LOSERS, meaning the eye test beauty queens who couldn't deliver ON THE FIELD.

Reactions: Chaos and PantherO
What it should be at a minimum is an 8 team playoff, the 5 P5 conference champs, WHOEVER THEY ARE, even if they are an 8-4 team that upset a 12-0 team in the CCG, then the best G5 team, plus pick 2 wild cards among THE LOSERS, meaning the eye test beauty queens who couldn't deliver ON THE FIELD.

I was going to type the exact same thing. But will add I would like to see guidelines for picking the 2 wild cards. Hate the eye test crap.

The team with the most talent or best record doesn't always win the championship. That is what is great about the other sports. I was getting tired of Alabama / Clemson every year. If there is a lot of chaos in the championship games, I wouldn't be surprised if Alabama didn't sneak back in.

Reactions: Pitt79
I was going to type the exact same thing. But will add I would like to see guidelines for picking the 2 wild cards. Hate the eye test crap.

The team with the most talent or best record doesn't always win the championship. That is what is great about the other sports. I was getting tired of Alabama / Clemson every year. If there is a lot of chaos in the championship games, I wouldn't be surprised if Alabama didn't sneak back in.

I keep saying it, many DON'T GET IT, but the truth is...

CHAMPION has nothing to do with BEST TEAM, those two things are mutually exclusive, one has nothing to do with the other.

Sometimes the best team wins the championship, sometimes like Villanova over Georgetown 1985 or NYG over Patriots 2007, some unlikely underdog beats the BEST TEAM and ends up as the legit CHAMPION who won the title on the field.

The way some of these people see it, you could cancel every season and have Alabama vs. Clemson every Labor Day for the championship.

Reactions: Chaos and PantherO
And the truth is, when the so called "undeserving" team rises up and smites the GOLIATH a/k/a "best team", those are the greatest most memorable moments in sports history! Nobody remembers when Alabama met Clemson for the 3rd straight year, but nobody ever forgets when the Jets beat the Colts in Super Bowl III or Valvano's NC State over Houston in 1983 NCAA Hoops.

Reactions: Chaos
I tended to root for calm this year to prevent the small chance of the Nitters slipping in. Now that that is off the table, chaos sounds good
That's always my first concern are the Nitters getting in.
If yes I support any team that will keep them out Go Buckeyes.
Go Michigan
Go Iowa
Go Mich St
Go any ?

Toughest job this year for the committee might actually be the New Years Six spot from the group of five.

Boise will probably beat Hawaii (where Rolovich has done a wonderful job.) Memphis or Cincinnati will win the AAC. Who do you pick then?

I hope the Bearcats aren't penalized by having two losses when that is exactly because they were willing to travel to Columbus to play Ohio State. Boise has no opponent of that quality. I actually hate Cinci as a program, but I don't want the committee to just look at a loss total and make a kneejerk decision.

If UGA wins, then they will have beaten LSU, Auburn, Florida, and ND. Not even a debate. How many different Top 15 teams did Oklahoma and Baylor beat?

Depends on how today plays out. If Oklahoma has only one loss and it's by 7 points to an 8-4 team, they will have a better resume at the bottom than LSU and LSU will have a better one at the top. And depends how the committee views two wins over Baylor and one over Oklahoma State.

Baylor is another story, I don't think their resume would be in Georgia's ball park. At least OU tried a reasonable schedule by having UCLA and Houston plus their nine conference games, Baylor's was a joke.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT