ADVERTISEMENT

This is a bizarre story: Wake Forest assistant

drunk obnoxious guy banging on car windows in NYC at 1am is annoying but def an over reaction to get out and punch the guy. cant imagine this guy not doing a little bit of time in jail. not for life but there has to be some negligent homicide charge that will stick.

sad story

Terrible story. I'm always amazed at how much people underestimate how serious it is hitting someone with a closed fist. Depending on the location and strength of the punch you can kill someone. It's not as rare as people think. I don't think he meant to kill this person so I imagine it will be something closer to manslaughter or a lower degree homicide. But so sad to see one man dead and another throwing his life away for a poor and unnecessary decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: Swervin27
drunk obnoxious guy banging on car windows in NYC at 1am is annoying but def an over reaction to get out and punch the guy. cant imagine this guy not doing a little bit of time in jail. not for life but there has to be some negligent homicide charge that will stick.

sad story
Love your spin. It was after a wedding and he called an Uber and his cell phone died so he didn’t have the Uber car and plate number etc. He was knocking on the windows to see which Uber was his. Come on now. He was dressed in a suit from what I heard. Does that give somebody the right to cold cock you and you end up dying? Tragic? Yes. And, the guy then drives away for like 4 days and gets a lawyer. I would say he is not guilty of murder but certainly reckless endangerment, aggravated assault, and other like charges. He could end up doing some jail time. Another stupid act of somebody flying off the handle.

Love your spin. It was after a wedding and he called an Uber and his cell phone died so he didn’t have the Uber car and plate number etc. He was knocking on the windows to see which Uber was his. Come on now. He was dressed in a suit from what I heard. Does that give somebody the right to cold cock you and you end up dying? Tragic? Yes. And, the guy then drives away for like 4 days and gets a lawyer. I would say he is not guilty of murder but certainly reckless endangerment, aggravated assault, and other like charges. He could end up doing some jail time. Another stupid act of somebody flying off the handle.
I read a news account from the Winston-Salem newspaper that indicated that the dead guy also punched a person in the midst of his drunken banging around on cars. If that's the case, perhaps the assistant coach felt like he needed to step in and defend someone else perhaps?. It's still tragic all the way around, but if the dead guy was actually being an agitator and assaulting others doesn't that change the narrative a bit?

Here's the 2 paragraphs that I read from the W-S newspaper:

Szabo — who received a bachelor's degree from DeVry University in Raleigh in 2009 — was reportedly banging on multiple cars, including Jones’ vehicle, prior to the incident, which happened about 1:15 a.m.

Szabo punched a local person in the face amid the chaos. Jones then allegedly punched Szabo, a Boca Raton, Fla., marketing executive who was in town for his stepsister's wedding.

I read a news account from the Winston-Salem newspaper that indicated that the dead guy also punched a person in the midst of his drunken banging around on cars. If that's the case, perhaps the assistant coach felt like he needed to step in and defend someone else perhaps?. It's still tragic all the way around, but if the dead guy was actually being an agitator and assaulting others doesn't that change the narrative a bit?

Szabo — who received a bachelor's degree from DeVry University in Raleigh in 2009 — was reportedly banging on multiple cars, including Jones’ vehicle, prior to the incident, which happened about 1:15 a.m.

Szabo punched a local person in the face amid the chaos. Jones then allegedly punched Szabo, a Boca Raton, Fla., marketing executive who was in town for his stepsister's wedding.

Not to argue and I am sure it will all come out but here is the newspaper quote.

Police sought a man who was seen on video punching a tourist in Queens early Sunday morning. The head of the victim, Sandor Szabo, "hit the pavement when he fell back and he lost consciousness," New York police said in a statement to USA TODAY Sports.

I agree with all of this. he didn't deserve to die, I'd never try and justify this. my point is, probably best not to get busted up in NYC and start knocking on car windows at 1am.

He was drunk and obnoxious and paid the ultimate price. He didn't deserve to die, I've been drunk and obnoxious before too, most of us have. it's sad..

We Hungarians know all too well the deamon known as alcohol.
I find it difficult to have any sympathies for the deceased.
Those who disagree, have at it. But ask yourselves what lesson a young person should learn from this.
My lesson is that the older you get, your stupid actions carry more serious consequences.
And before any holier than thou amongst you takes umbridge with that, ask how many of the people around Szabo (including friends) were there to help.
The answer is "none".

I agree. When you get too drunk and do stupid things, there are consequences. Unfortunately, in this case, it was death. When this guy already punched out another dude, I find it very hard to blame the guy who killed him.

We Hungarians know all too well the deamon known as alcohol.
I find it difficult to have any sympathies for the deceased.
Those who disagree, have at it. But ask yourselves what lesson a young person should learn from this.
My lesson is that the older you get, your stupid actions carry more serious consequences.
And before any holier than thou amongst you takes umbridge with that, ask how many of the people around Szabo (including friends) were there to help.
The answer is "none".
Not sure where you being Hungarian gives you any extra insight into this.

I agree. When you get too drunk and do stupid things, there are consequences. Unfortunately, in this case, it was death. When this guy already punched out another dude, I find it very hard to blame the guy who killed him.
"This was a tragic accident, and Mr. Jones and his family send their deepest condolences and their thoughts and prayers to the Szabo family," Massena said.

This was no accident. Some guy decided to exit his vehicle and punch out someone for banging on his car window. Unless the deceased threatened the coach, he assaulted the idiot and committed manslaughter (probably - depends on the law).

I'm astonished here. Not just by you, but the overall spin. The guy was an asshat perhaps, but we don't just get to assault someone for being an asshat. More to the story may come out, but the lesson her, again...probably, is to not let you emotions rule you and to stop and thing of the possible ramifications of your actions before you act.

We're becoming a land of arrested development where our impulses rule us.

Oh, and BTW, drunk lives matter.

Reactions: FireballZ
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT