ADVERTISEMENT

This is gold Jerry! I am telling you gold!!!

The feud between Madden and DK and Madden gets kicked off the Sunday Nite Sports Show.

I stopped listening to his show a long time ago. It’s not that I don’t find it entertaining because I always have. I just don’t find the Steelers and Penguins entertaining and that’s what he talks about. I also stopped following Madden on Twitter because the drum he beats on Juju, Narduzzi, Watt, etc got too old and tiresome.

that said, I stumbled upon the DK feud origins on Twitter so I tuned into his show over a month ago around the time it happened to hear Madden’s side of it. Madden said then that DK had too much power over the Channel 11 show and that he didn’t want Madden on it any longer….and this was inevitable.

I stopped listening to his show a long time ago. It’s not that I don’t find it entertaining because I always have. I just don’t find the Steelers and Penguins entertaining and that’s what he talks about. I also stopped following Madden on Twitter because the drum he beats on Juju, Narduzzi, Watt, etc got too old and tiresome.

that said, I stumbled upon the DK feud origins on Twitter so I tuned into his show over a month ago around the time it happened to hear Madden’s side of it. Madden said then that DK had too much power over the Channel 11 show and that he didn’t want Madden on it any longer….and this was inevitable.
Yeah, pretty much why I stopped listening, of course I do find the Penguins entertaining and wonder how on god's green earth anyone would hate on hockey while liking that abortion known as "soccer" ;) . But MM has even become more wrestling heel, more mean, and more repetitive and predictable on his rants for his personal targets.

I think that is probably what happened here, MM seems to take a schtik and it becomes personal. His berating DK over the Pirates became mean spirited. Madden seems angry and lonely and it really comes out in his shows. Plus he has a relatively 13 year old's taste in music.

Yeah, pretty much why I stopped listening, of course I do find the Penguins entertaining and wonder how on god's green earth anyone would hate on hockey while liking that abortion known as "soccer" ;) . But MM has even become more wrestling heel, more mean, and more repetitive and predictable on his rants for his personal targets.

I think that is probably what happened here, MM seems to take a schtik and it becomes personal. His berating DK over the Pirates became mean spirited. Madden seems angry and lonely and it really comes out in his shows. Plus he has a relatively 13 year old's taste in music.
Even when I enjoyed Madden, I hated when he would rip his competition by name. Back in the day, he did it to Scott Paulson when Paulson was absolutely dreadful doing sports radio. Then he did it to Stan Savran when they completed. Now they are civil because they work for the same employer. And of course Madden rips every other print columnist and on- air personality. I find this all unprofessional. He’s not a pro wrestler…which is another thing he likes that 13 year olds like. Despite all of this, I always found him funny and quick witted. I listened to him for over 20 years. But this heel persona is way over the top.

i think the difference here is that MM plays the role of a jerk on the radio, whereas DK is an actual piece of crap jerk in real life. I do find MM entertaining when I listen, but I do find myself tuning out at times when he is talking Penguins in like July. And I am a Pens fan, just don't need 365-day talk about them. Also, MM has been a Pitt supporter most of his career, even when he fairly criticized them at times, but last couple years he has really turned vicious against Pitt and that also makes me choose to listen less,

also, i never liked when MM used to have DK on all the time / let him guest host to prop up DK's website. now that DK is gone, I wish MM would quit propping up Crawley. If I could erase 3 people from the Pittsburgh media it would be Crawley, Dunlap, DK.

This sounds like the intellectual equivalent of daytime soaps for people with a Y chromosome.

MM is set up pretty nicely for Steeler fodder for the next couple of years. He's even soured on his buddy Ben... Madden's rants on the Pirates seem to me like removing an anthill with a flame thrower. Overkill. Most fans are savvy enough to realize the Nutting Con and take the Bucco suckups like Joh Taylor with a grain of salt.

Madden might do well to talk about the future of his beloved Penguins, who may end up marching down the same path as the Steelers when it comes time to part ways with their mega stars.

also, i never liked when MM used to have DK on all the time / let him guest host to prop up DK's website. now that DK is gone, I wish MM would quit propping up Crawley. If I could erase 3 people from the Pittsburgh media it would be Crawley, Dunlap, DK.

Dunlap at least is fair with Pitt. Madden & Benz on their podcast are ridiculous. But really, the whole lot of Pittsburgh media are a joke and love to take cheap shots. Mark Kaboly and Ed Bouchette do it all the time, but god-forbid they do any criticism or investigative reporting on their Steeler beat. Total fanboys (really fan old men) for the Stillers.

But back to DK, I don't like Madden but agree with him calling out DK for the mysterious 180 turn from "our team not his" to Beat em bucs over the course of the past year or so.

Reactions: 303vND and Tucker99
Dunlap at least is fair with Pitt. Madden & Benz on their podcast are ridiculous. But really, the whole lot of Pittsburgh media are a joke and love to take cheap shots. Mark Kaboly and Ed Bouchette do it all the time, but god-forbid they do any criticism or investigative reporting on their Steeler beat. Total fanboys (really fan old men) for the Stillers.

But back to DK, I don't like Madden but agree with him calling out DK for the mysterious 180 turn from "our team not his" to Beat em bucs over the course of the past year or so.
There aren't any consequences to taking the occasional cheap shot at Pitt. Same can't be said for the Steelers. I thought Kaboly's article sounded pretty critical this morning. Maybe it's a question of "degree." I think you can be critical without being a jerk. Perhaps that's the difference.

Mark Madden will die someday with very few friends but he won’t care.

DK was at his best when he was a writer only. Research his obituary piece he did in Chuck Knoll as an example of great writing. Today DK is just like so many other media types who came from print background. They need loud, angry schtick to create buzz and eyeballs.

Madden is the worst and yet he has strong ratings. Perhaps he and DK should be the opening bout of a mixed martial arts event. I would pay to see that

What happened with Madden and DK? What caused the falling out?
They had several twitter fights. I'm sure someone has all of the screen shots.

Madden is a clown at this point. It's hard to take him seriously when he is always attacking people. He makes it personal with so many players (Steelers) and legitimately thinks Benz and STEIGERWALD are professionals. John Steigerwald is a dinosaur in the sports world and should not have a platform of any kind.

DK's situation was weird with the Pirates, but whatever. Does anyone really care about the team anyway? He had a ton of problems managing his website and burned a lot of bridges with some quality people, but all of that seems to have settled. At one time he was the best sports writer in Pittsburgh, just a bit too much now promoting the site. I suppose that's what he has to do in order to continue to grow it.

Reactions: bobfree
DK has to cheer for the Pirates to sell new subscriptions to his service. With the Pirates being terrible and the Steelers now looking to be as bad, subscribers will be canceling left and right. He has to come up with a new ploy. Gushing over the Pirates farm system could work for him.

Even when I enjoyed Madden, I hated when he would rip his competition by name. Back in the day, he did it to Scott Paulson when Paulson was absolutely dreadful doing sports radio. Then he did it to Stan Savran when they completed. Now they are civil because they work for the same employer. And of course Madden rips every other print columnist and on- air personality. I find this all unprofessional. He’s not a pro wrestler…which is another thing he likes that 13 year olds like. Despite all of this, I always found him funny and quick witted. I listened to him for over 20 years. But this heel persona is way over the top.
I stopped listening to Madden years ago because his shtick got old. Him playing the "heel" know it all just got hard to listen to. As far as sports knowledge, he couldn't get into Stan's area code. I grew up listening to Savran and to this day is the most knowledgeable host in the city.

DK has to cheer for the Pirates to sell new subscriptions to his service. With the Pirates being terrible and the Steelers now looking to be as bad, subscribers will be canceling left and right. He has to come up with a new ploy. Gushing over the Pirates farm system could work for him.
His site was awful for the 9 months I was a member a year or 2 ago. Always went down and he would either claim it wasn't down or keep claiming they're gonna have a brand new site soon. When the new site finally was launched it sucked too. And still had lots of technical issues. A lot of hype for a bad product. Plus so many of his employees kept resigning. Not normal. And the last straw for me was the "This is our team" nonsense he spewed and then a few months later interviewed Nutting and didn't ask him 1 tough question and that "Our team" BS was never heard from again. That's when I had enough of him. He's also extremely arrogant and never ever thinks he's wrong about anything. I don't miss being a member at all.

His site was awful for the 9 months I was a member a year or 2 ago. Always went down and he would either claim it wasn't down or keep claiming they're gonna have a brand new site soon. When the new site finally was launched it sucked too. And still had lots of technical issues. A lot of hype for a bad product. Plus so many of his employees kept resigning. Not normal. And the last straw for me was the "This is our team" nonsense he spewed and then a few months later interviewed Nutting and didn't ask him 1 tough question and that "Our team" BS was never heard from again. That's when I had enough of him. He's also extremely arrogant and never ever thinks he's wrong about anything. I don't miss being a member at all.
The Athletic, if you are going to have a subscription site, is the site to go to for sports.

After trying to listen to Filaponi, his anti Pitt rants made me change to Madden for that time slot. I don't listen much but when driving in car.

The Athletic, if you are going to have a subscription site, is the site to go to for sports.
Is it any good because guys like Kaboly and Rossi weren't good at the Trib and Yohe was alright. Bouchette lost touch while at the PG and hearing his interviews, he is still out of touch with the modern game.

Reactions: 303vND
Is it any good because guys like Kaboly and Rossi weren't good at the Trib and Yohe was alright. Bouchette lost touch while at the PG and hearing his interviews, he is still out of touch with the modern game.

I get it for college football since Mandel & Staples are there. Bouchette is a fan-old man (can't call him a fanboy anymore) of the Stillers and offers nothing of value, same with Kaboly.

Forde is okay at SI, one of the few free ones left out there. But some of his takes are pretty bad, had three SEC teams in his recent playoff prediction including Arkansas. Another of the SEC cheerleaders

I get it for college football since Mandel & Staples are there. Bouchette is a fan-old man (can't call him a fanboy anymore) of the Stillers and offers nothing of value, same with Kaboly.

Forde is okay at SI, one of the few free ones left out there. But some of his takes are pretty bad, had three SEC teams in his recent playoff prediction including Arkansas. Another of the SEC cheerleaders
Those are some pretty strong national writers. I just wasn't impressed with the Athletic Pittsburgh staff.

Mark Madden will die someday with very few friends but he won’t care.

DK was at his best when he was a writer only. Research his obituary piece he did in Chuck Knoll as an example of great writing. Today DK is just like so many other media types who came from print background. They need loud, angry schtick to create buzz and eyeballs.

Madden is the worst and yet he has strong ratings. Perhaps he and DK should be the opening bout of a mixed martial arts event. I would pay to see that
Chuck Noll

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT