ADVERTISEMENT

This is why Berhalter needs to go

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
I dont want to hear anyone say this World Cup was a success. The team, the most talented in US history, accomplished the bare minimum expectation....get out of the group. We did the same thing in 02 (and did a round better), 10, and 14. 1994 we qualified as a 3rd place team in a 24 team tournament so that doesn't count the same. But the point is, we've had teams that did this.

The team is young, yea yea yea, but lets be realistic. We were 2nd to Canada in qualifying, qualified on the last day despite this being the worst Mexico and CONCACAF has been in quite awhile, scored 3 goals in 4 World Cup games, and only won 1.

Bethalter gets a C for this cycle. That's not good enough. We are hosting in 2026 when all these guys will be in their prime. The USSF has to go out and PAY for the best coach available. They can afford to pay for anyone. Jose Mourinho, Roberto Martinez (though his star his tarnished), Joachim Low, etc.

The job is attractive. People like living in the US. The team is good. We can be really good in 2026. High level Euro managers would be very interested. And we have to find a coach who is able to generate goals without a true #9 because we arent going to have one in 2026. Reyna, Weah, and Aaronson have to be on the field together. We need a coach who can figure out how to do this.

I dont want to hear anyone say this World Cup was a success. The team, the most talented in US history, accomplished the bare minimum expectation....get out of the group. We did the same thing in 02 (and did a round better), 10, and 14. 1994 we qualified as a 3rd place team in a 24 team tournament so that doesn't count the same. But the point is, we've had teams that did this.

The team is young, yea yea yea, but lets be realistic. We were 2nd to Canada in qualifying, qualified on the last day despite this being the worst Mexico and CONCACAF has been in quite awhile, scored 3 goals in 4 World Cup games, and only won 1.

Bethalter gets a C for this cycle. That's not good enough. We are hosting in 2026 when all these guys will be in their prime. The USSF has to go out and PAY for the best coach available. They can afford to pay for anyone. Jose Mourinho, Roberto Martinez (though his star his tarnished), Joachim Low, etc.

The job is attractive. People like living in the US. The team is good. We can be really good in 2026. High level Euro managers would be very interested. And we have to find a coach who is able to generate goals without a true #9 because we arent going to have one in 2026. Reyna, Weah, and Aaronson have to be on the field together. We need a coach who can figure out how to do this.
Berhalter did a good job recruiting Musah, Pepi and Dest. He was useful. But yeah we need to go big. You’re not going to do better than Carlo Ancelotti and if that’s what Canada does, look out.

I’d love to see Jose Mourinho because he’s my guy. I’m not sure he’d be good for American soccer though. Do we want a guy who prefers parking the bus? Is that what US Soccer needs? Maybe we do? He won’t come anyway if we can’t get him an African #9 though (that’s his thing) and I’m not sure Haji is what Jose would be looking for. He would be determined to make Dike the next Drogba though. Lol.

Martinez stinks. No thanks. But I agree with your line of thinking. Heck Belgium is already talking about going out and getting pochettino. But if I’m him, I’m not going there. He can do better.

Last edited:
Berhalter did a good job recruiting Musah, Pepi and Dest. He was useful. But yeah we need to go big. You’re not going to do better than Carlo Ancelotti and if that’s what Canada does, look out.

I’d love to see Jose Mourinho because he’s my guy. I’m not sure he’d be good for American soccer though. Do we want a guy who prefers parking the bus? Is that what US Soccer needs? Maybe we do? He won’t come anyway if we can’t get him an African #9 though (that’s his thing) and I’m not sure Haji is what Jose would be looking for. He would be determined to make Dike the next Drogba though. Lol.

Martinez stinks. No thanks. But I agree with your line of thinking. Heck Belgium is already talking about going out and getting poncettino. But if I’m him, I’m not going there. He can do better.

The USSF has to view this as a Top 5 job right now given the circumstances and go pay someone

Reactions: jctrack
Yeah well sadly they’re paying Rapinoe now so times might be a bit tough.

They still have more money than God. Perhaps if they spent some of that money on things like, I dont know, not having U10 players pay to play soccer, they would have a better case vs the USWNT.....but they just have so much money.

They still have more money than God. Perhaps if they spent some of that money on things like, I dont know, not having U10 players pay to play soccer, they would have a better case vs the USWNT.....but they just have so much money.
Here’s a good thread.

We were 2nd to Canada in qualifying, qualified on the last day despite this being the worst Mexico and CONCACAF has been in quite awhile

This is absolutely not correct. We did not finish in 2nd to Canada. We finished in 3rd, on goal difference alone, tied on points with Costa Rica. Mexico and Canada actually ended up tied for 1st on points, with Canada having the much better goal differential.

In any event, he's got to go.

Reactions: PeetWeet2
I’m not going to knock Berhalter. His job was to get us qualified and he did. He also won nations league and gold cup. One can say concacaf was down but scoreboard is scoreboard.

But I will say this. I find it odd that our last coach tried to navigate away from MLS and get more players playing in Europe. And that’s what happened. We got more players in Europe and then the coach got fired and replaced with a guy from MLS. Weird.

Reactions: 121rum
But I will say this. I find it odd that our last coach tried to navigate away from MLS and get more players playing in Europe. And that’s what happened. We got more players in Europe and then the coach got fired and replaced with a guy from MLS. Weird.

If you remember that our current coach's brother was one of the people who decided who to hire as coach it makes a lot more sense.

I’m not going to knock Berhalter. His job was to get us qualified and he did. He also won nations league and gold cup. One can say concacaf was down but scoreboard is scoreboard.

I dont think Berhalter is a bad coach or anything. He was a nice, safe choice. He met the minimum expectations. It wasnt a failure or anything. He was basically Pat Narduzzi. But we are hosting and these guys will be in our prime. We need a world class, big time, big name manager.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt

This is such crap though. Look at this. Does anyone watch that game and think the US needed to make an adjustment? So the Netherlands scored goals by getting into the wide areas and crossing the ball which is something every team does in every game. Are we supposed to believe that Netherlands plays with two wing backs whose fundamental job description is to provide the width in the attack down the flanks and we didn’t expect that? Gregg might not be the best tactician in the world and maybe he didn’t identify a tactical switch that propelled the US to victory. But if I’m Netherlands I’m not thumping my chest. All 3 goals were fundamental breakdowns by individual US players in the moment. When do you ever see Adams do what he did in that 1st goal? Dest lost his mark on the 2nd, and the 3rd goal was the worst demonstration of passing off marks that I have ever seen by professionals. And honestly I blame tired legs for that. The legs feed the wolf and when you have tired legs your decision making is poor. I was surprised Robinson was still in the game at that point. He was injured and he was exhausted. We could probably blame Gregg for not subbing him out earlier. Maybe if Scally was in there the goal doesn’t happen. So as what happened all tourney, Gregg didn’t get his substitutions right. But let’s not pretend the USA was overwhelmed by Netherlands attacking the flanks. That’s horse shit.

I think it was criminal to bring Ferreira instead of Pefok. I still don't understand though what he is trying to do with the 9 position.

I personally think he should be canned like tuna.

• Haha

This is such crap though. Look at this. Does anyone watch that game and think the US needed to make an adjustment? So the Netherlands scored goals by getting into the wide areas and crossing the ball which is something every team does in every game. Are we supposed to believe that Netherlands plays with two wing backs whose fundamental job description is to provide the width in the attack down the flanks and we didn’t expect that? Gregg might not be the best tactician in the world and maybe he didn’t identify a tactical switch that propelled the US to victory. But if I’m Netherlands I’m not thumping my chest. All 3 goals were fundamental breakdowns by individual US players in the moment. When do you ever see Adams do what he did in that 1st goal? Dest lost his mark on the 2nd, and the 3rd goal was the worst demonstration of passing off marks that I have ever seen by professionals. And honestly I blame tired legs for that. The legs feed the wolf and when you have tired legs your decision making is poor. I was surprised Robinson was still in the game at that point. He was injured and he was exhausted. We could probably blame Gregg for not subbing him out earlier. Maybe if Scally was in there the goal doesn’t happen. So as what happened all tourney, Gregg didn’t get his substitutions right. But let’s not pretend the USA was overwhelmed by Netherlands attacking the flanks. That’s horse shit.

I was impressed with the D and effort, save the few brain farts vs the Netherlands.

For 2026, it looks like we have are set everywhere but CB and striker. I am assuming CB options will emerge. A top striker may not. If not, we will need to adopt different tactics than throwing crosses into the box against two world class defenders.

One option is to utilize the tactics of 21/22 City. We have players with speed, smarts, toughness, who can dribble, pass, and win the ball back quickly. Hoping their shots improve. Some are young enough, there is not reason they won’t.

Need to get smarter about taking breaks to pass around the outside before attacking, and then attack in numbers. What I don’t know is if the super quick thinking and coordination can be developed within a national team structure.

A second is to counter-attack. This also requires excellent coordination, but on the defensive side of the ball. Since we lack an elite target man, the counter-attack would need to be group effort.

Not sure which strategy, or a mix of both will be needed so whoever we hire should have a plan for doing both.

What we don’t need to consider is player development. That is the job of the players and their clubs.

I was impressed with the D and effort, save the few brain farts vs the Netherlands.

For 2026, it looks like we have are set everywhere but CB and striker. I am assuming CB options will emerge. A top striker may not. If not, we will need to adopt different tactics than throwing crosses into the box against two world class defenders.

One option is to utilize the tactics of 21/22 City. We have players with speed, smarts, toughness, who can dribble, pass, and win the ball back quickly. Hoping their shots improve. Some are young enough, there is not reason they won’t.

Need to get smarter about taking breaks to pass around the outside before attacking, and then attack in numbers. What I don’t know is if the super quick thinking and coordination can be developed within a national team structure.

A second is to counter-attack. This also requires excellent coordination, but on the defensive side of the ball. Since we lack an elite target man, the counter-attack would need to be group effort.

Not sure which strategy, or a mix of both will be needed so whoever we hire should have a plan for doing both.

What we don’t need to consider is player development. That is the job of the players and their clubs.
I saw someone on twitter say that Reyna is going to be the next Kevin DeBruyne by 2026. Now, that’s a stretch. You can’t compare someone to the player regarded as the best midfielder in the world. But it did have me thinking that Reyna is the ax factor for this team and it would be a failure, at least in my eyes, if Pulisic is still regarded as the teams best attacking threat. Pulisic’s career might have stalled at Chelsea and while I don’t think he’s hit his ceiling, I do think he’s pretty close. Reyna on the other hand is the next star and hasn’t even scraped the surface of what he can be. He’s the one to watch. I’m hoping he’s the face of the team in 4 years.

Btw, there are pictures of Pepi in a Netherlands jersey all over the internet. I’m hoping he just lost a bet or something and is not bitter about his World Cup snub.

The most talented in history. LMAO.

Today’s social media hype machine does not make these players the most talented in U.S. History.

The weaknesses were pretty obvious throughout all four matches.

But most importantly, compared to the rest if the world, we just aren’t that good.

And the English players were right when they referred to us as Athletic.

What that means is we have to run around twice as much to get a goal compared to other teams and then we are wiped out.

3G should probably go but 2026 only has the advantage of home turf maybe getting us into the final 8. Pulisic is perhaps the most over rated soccer player we have ever had. He had a billion chances and finished just once.

The most talented in history. LMAO.

Today’s social media hype machine does not make these players the most talented in U.S. History.

The weaknesses were pretty obvious throughout all four matches.

But most importantly, compared to the rest if the world, we just aren’t that good.

And the English players were right when they referred to us as Athletic.

What that means is we have to run around twice as much to get a goal compared to other teams and then we are wiped out.

3G should probably go but 2026 only has the advantage of home turf maybe getting us into the final 8. Pulisic is perhaps the most over rated soccer player we have ever had. He had a billion chances and finished just once.
What previous team comes close to the is one? Forget social media, look at the clubs these guys are playing for. Use the eye test. Use fancy stats. I am disappointed and not thrilled with the coach, but this team hat both heart and talent. Actually controlled the ball. Wasn’t overmatched and hoping to get lucky.

I saw someone on twitter say that Reyna is going to be the next Kevin DeBruyne by 2026. Now, that’s a stretch. You can’t compare someone to the player regarded as the best midfielder in the world. But it did have me thinking that Reyna is the ax factor for this team and it would be a failure, at least in my eyes, if Pulisic is still regarded as the teams best attacking threat. Pulisic’s career might have stalled at Chelsea and while I don’t think he’s hit his ceiling, I do think he’s pretty close. Reyna on the other hand is the next star and hasn’t even scraped the surface of what he can be. He’s the one to watch. I’m hoping he’s the face of the team in 4 years.

Btw, there are pictures of Pepi in a Netherlands jersey all over the internet. I’m hoping he just lost a bet or something and is not bitter about his World Cup snub.
I too am excited about Reyna. Really can’t fathom why he wasn’t playing a lot more, right now.

What previous team comes close to the is one? Forget social media, look at the clubs these guys are playing for. Use the eye test. Use fancy stats. I am disappointed and not thrilled with the coach, but this team hat both heart and talent. Actually controlled the ball. Wasn’t overmatched and hoping to get lucky.

Even the former USMNT players turned analysts say its the most talented teams. 9 of our 11 starters start in the biggest leagues in the world. No other team comes close to that. The fact we struggled to qualify with that and only won 1 game and scored 3 goals in 4 games are evidence he needs to go. And Im sick of hearing lists of American names to replace them. These guys are coached by Europeans. Who is the best coach available that you can get? Where he was born shouldn't even be factored in. We host in 2026 and its a great job. We should be competing with England, Germany, France, etc for coaches. Would England hire Jim Curtin from Philly? NOOOOO. So he shouldn't be considered.

Oh boy. 2002 clearly. Tell you what forget the stats. Watch the Amazon prime documentary on the Mexico rivalry and simply watch the ability of the players to make space.

This team does not have that ability and basically couldn‘t even do the basics against the Dutch. Those were the easiest goals a squad could ever get.

Oh boy. 2002 clearly. Tell you what forget the stats. Watch the Amazon prime documentary on the Mexico rivalry and simply watch the ability of the players to make space.

This team does not have that ability and basically couldn‘t even do the basics against the Dutch. Those were the easiest goals a squad could ever get.

Come on. That was an MLS All-Star team who lucked out and got in the host's group instead of one of the other Top 8 seeds. This allowed them to draw the seeded team (South Korea). They did beat what was supposed to be a really good Portugal team but on the last matchday, they were "crashing out" (and I hate this overused soccer term) down 3-0 to Poland but then South Korea scored in the 70th minute and held on vs Portugal to get the USA through.

Nice win over Mexico but that's an unbelievably great draw in a Round of 16. I didn't watch the Germany game because I taped while I was at work and found out who won.

Please please please make this happen. Lol. Imagine Mourinho in the media hyping the 2026 World Cup for 4 years.

• Love
Reactions: PeetWeet2
I could care less. I want wins and entertainment. The guy is like a WWE Manager off the field and a winning manager on it. I’ll take that.

He would certainly be entertaining, and he could coach circles around the current guy, so yeah, sign me up.

Plus four years of reading SMF complaining that we only beat Costa Rica 1-0 will be priceless.

• Love
Guessing Pulisic wouldn’t agree with Twellman

Blahahahahaha! Yeah ok. Pep, ladies and gentlemen. Geezus.

Blahahahahaha! Yeah ok. Pep, ladies and gentlemen. Geezus.

Who hasn't shown interest in him?

Even if it were remotely possible he wouldn't come until two years from now when his City contract runs out, if he decides he doesn't want to be there anymore. And US Soccer isn't waiting two years to hire a new coach. Hell, they might screw this up and not hire a new coach at all.

Who hasn't shown interest in him?

Even if it were remotely possible he wouldn't come until two years from now when his City contract runs out, if he decides he doesn't want to be there anymore. And US Soccer isn't waiting two years to hire a new coach. Hell, they might screw this up and not hire a new coach at all.
I do think they talked to Pep years ago. The thing is, as great as he is, I’m not so sure he’s be good for us. His brand of football would take too long to master for an international team, and we don’t have the talent to do it.

I do think they talked to Pep years ago. The thing is, as great as he is, I’m not so sure he’s be good for us. His brand of football would take too long to master for an international team, and we don’t have the talent to do it.

Honestly, I don't think that Marsch would work for similar reasons. He'd have to completely change the way that his team plays, and if he's going to do that why would you want him? You can't get a national team that you only get to see and practice with once every couple of months to play that all attacking, all the time, style that he wants to play. You'd run the guys who aren't used to playing that way into the ground.

This is nuts. I can’t believe a head coach put this out there.

How dare he say that about Pulisic. Lol. Geez I wonder who he was talking about?
Apparently it was Gio. It’s all over twitter. For whatever reason Gio’s effort in training and in that friendly against the club team was not good.

This looks like Gregg floating this out there because of the criticism he got for not playing Gio.

Apparently it was Gio. It’s all over twitter. For whatever reason Gio’s effort in training and in that friendly against the club team was not good.

This looks like Gregg floating this out there because of the criticism he got for not playing Gio.
So what player will trust him on anything again?

Simple fact. US needs a world class coach. Period. Berhalter isn’t who you trust to win the big one. US soccer from top to bottom has coaching issues. Youth boys and girls and men’s for certain.

Simple fact. US needs a world class coach. Period. Berhalter isn’t who you trust to win the big one. US soccer from top to bottom has coaching issues. Youth boys and girls and men’s for certain.
And on the womens side they let bullies run the locker room.

ADVERTISEMENT