ADVERTISEMENT

This is why they need to change the NCAA football playoff immediately...

YourPittDanceTeam

Sophomore
Dec 8, 2010
A champion should never be determined by a group of coaches or sports writers, look at the following nonsense...
- Tennessee defeated Alabama on the field and finds themselves ranked 2 spots behind Alabama in the latest AFCA Poll.
- Oregon State defeated Oregon on the field and finds themselves ranked one spot behind Oregon on the same Poll.
They also made sure to keep Ohio State and Alabama in a position that makes it possible for one of the "blue bloods" to slide into one of the four playoff spots.
Increase the number of teams that qualify NOW, not in a couple of years.

Reactions: SteelerPittFan87
A champion should never be determined by a group of coaches or sports writers, look at the following nonsense...
- Tennessee defeated Alabama on the field and finds themselves ranked 2 spots behind Alabama in the latest AFCA Poll.
- Oregon State defeated Oregon on the field and finds themselves ranked one spot behind Oregon on the same Poll.
They also made sure to keep Ohio State and Alabama in a position that makes it possible for one of the "blue bloods" to slide into one of the four playoff spots.
Neither the coaches nor writers musings have anything to do with who gets in the playoffs.

Reactions: ThePanthers
Neither the coaches nor writers musings have anything to do with who gets in the playoffs.
If you believe that then you are a fool. They just had one of the committee members on tv this week. When describing their thought process he used the words "Polls and Rankings" when it comes to discussing the teams under consideration. Those were his words, not mine.

They are trying to change it now. But unfortunately there are contracts and other logistics they have to work through that make it difficult. Will most likely be 2024.

All of this is subjective.

Oregon State - I get the beef on that one a little more, although I would still argue Oregon probably has the better resume. (wins over Utah & UCLA) Utah beat Oregon State soundly, btw.

As for Tennessee, a last minute head to head win doesn't hold up very well when you just got trucked by South Carolina by a score of 63-38 a week earlier.

I agree that head to head should always be the determining factor.

USC is ranked 4th. They lost to Utah. They should be behind Utah. Utah lost to Florida, so they should be behind Florida. Florida lost to Vanderbilt so they should be behind them. Vanderbilt lost to Wake Forest, so they should be behind them. Wake lost to Duke, so they should behind them. And we beat Duke, so Duke should be behind us.

And behold, we are ranked number four and making the playoff!

Head to head rules!

Reactions: USN_Panther
The voting system never made sense to me either. It's water cooler talk, it never determines a true champion.

All of this is subjective.

Oregon State - I get the beef on that one a little more, although I would still argue Oregon probably has the better resume. (wins over Utah & UCLA) Utah beat Oregon State soundly, btw.

As for Tennessee, a last minute head to head win doesn't hold up very well when you just got trucked by South Carolina by a score of 63-38 a week earlier.
..AND that is the problem with the current process, it is ALL subjective. Whether you or I like it or not, if Team A beats Team B in a head to head game, Team A should be considered the better team. Using your logic, the Houston Astros should not be considered World Series Champions because most people would say that the NY Yankees are the better team on paper.

You absolutely have to use head to head. If not, then why even play the games on the field???

The NCAA needs to implement a mathematical equation to determine the rankings. It needs to include negative values for playing an OOC schedule like Michigan and reward teams who play other P5 teams OOC.

I agree your main point of needing to take the subjective nonsense out of the equation. Rewarding teams who are willing to play legitimate teams OOC can rid the parade of crap games that so many play.

Reactions: YourPittDanceTeam
Well, the polls are just that. A poll. And who in their right mind thinks that a Tennessee team without Hooker is better than Alabama? I'd argue that Tenn is rated a little too high right now.

You do have a point about Oregon/Oregon State.

Including subjective polls as even a 1% part of a “playoff” renders it ridiculous from the beginning. Think about it; the opinion of Ron Cook, Penn State Denier, helps to determine playoff composition. That’s the most idiotic thing in the world. Until they are unwilling to cut the shackles of media involvement, don’t bother calling it a playoff and just go back to anointing #1 as the arbitrary “champion”. It’s one reason (besides Pitt being nowhere near it) I rarely watch a moment of the “playoffs”.

still shake my head that the next logical step, an 8 team playoff, was completely skipped over.
12 teams is better. Did they ever say whether conference champions are guaranteed a playoff spot? If so, will they get the higher seed even if they have a worse record?

12 teams is better. Did they ever say whether conference champions are guaranteed a playoff spot? If so, will they get the higher seed even if they have a worse record?
it's not, you bring in bye's now and it is not better than simply going to 8 teams...

it will bring in more money, that's the only way it's better. the 9th-12th seed will have no business whatsoever being involved in a national championship. You are going to have 4 loss teams in the SEC now in the playoffs.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
it's not, you bring in bye's now and it is not better than simply going to 8 teams...

it will bring in more money, that's the only way it's better. the 9th-12th seed will have no business whatsoever being involved in a national championship. You are going to have 4 loss teams in the SEC now in the playoffs.

I actually think this is a year where those teams could make some noise.

I get your point in general, though. That said, it might be the case where the recruiting evens out a bit once more teams have a realistic shot at playing for a championship. So it could help bring some parity.

Beyond that, I also think the more the merrier just because it creates more games people actually care about. These bowl games might have never been incredibly meaningful, but they've inarguably gotten about ten notches worse in the last five years or so. Not sure if it's right or wrong, so many guys with even a remote chance of getting drafted think they're above them.

I'm sure the blue bloods will find another box of votes in the middle of the night to add to their tally

I like bye weeks, particularly for college football. It rewards the top teams and gives incentive for going undefeated, but the bye week could also open some teams up to upsets. There's always the idea of keeping momentum going versus having the week off. Until they messed it up, the NFL had the best playoffs in sports.

For fun using the AP top 25, we'd be possibly looking at:

1. Georgia
2. Michigan
3. TCU
4. USC

5. Ohio State vs. 12. Utah
6. Alabama vs. 11. LSU
7. Tennessee vs. 10. Clemson
8. Penn State vs. 9. Washington

This is a good field and without a truly dominant team this year, you could see some upsets. On top of that, there could be upwards of 20 teams with something to play for over the last couple of weeks as opposed to now where there are only 6 teams in contention if there is a massive upset in championship week.

I am fine with 12 teams. And I think 12 teams are fair. I thought it would aid competitive balance, then they through in the NIL shenanigans and the Big 10 and SEC keeps poaching.

But no one can argue: All P5 Conference champs. Best Group of 6. +6 At large teams, capping 3 of the "at large" to one conference (meaning they can get 4 in).

What's the complaint about this? With schools like Houston, UCF and Cinci joining the Big 12, there is less G5 debate.

You got to give access to all 5 P5 conferences to make them relevant.

In saying this for this year: Assuming no upsets in conference Champs:

1) SEC CHamp Georgia
2) B1G Champ Michigan
3) Big 12 Champ TCU
4) Pac 12 Champ USC
These get the byes:
5) ACC Champ Clemson
6) Best of Group 5 Tulane

At Large:
7) tOSU B1G (2)
8) Alabama SEC (2)
9) Tennessee SEC (3)
10) Penn State B1G (3)
11) Washington Pac 12 (2)
12) LSU SEC (4)

You may not like this......there are debates, but there are 68 bids for NCAA Basketball and still are debates.

But hard to feel slighted.

Now I don't know how the CFP rankings will come out, will FSU get a boost up? How far will LSU be punished after the A&M loss. And obviously what happens then if Utah beats USC? Or KState vs TCU.

Well, the polls are just that. A poll. And who in their right mind thinks that a Tennessee team without Hooker is better than Alabama? I'd argue that Tenn is rated a little too high right now.

You do have a point about Oregon/Oregon State.
Whether Hooker is playing or not should not matter. That is bringing in another new level of subjectivity into the equation. Did Pitt get the benefit of the doubt by the pollsters when they lost in OT, on the last play of the game, with their 3rd string QB playing? No, they did not and they shouldn't have either.
The only thing that should matter in determining who the better team is what happened when they played head to head (if possible) all other variables should not matter.

The NCAA needs to implement a mathematical equation to determine the rankings. It needs to include negative values for playing an OOC schedule like Michigan and reward teams who play other P5 teams OOC.

I agree your main point of needing to take the subjective nonsense out of the equation. Rewarding teams who are willing to play legitimate teams OOC can rid the parade of crap games that so many play.

Aren't things like mathematical equations and negative values for an OOC like Michigan's and rewarding teams for playing P5 teams in the OOC completely subjective? I mean how much are you rewarding someone? How much are you taking away from someone else?

If you want to remove all the subjectivity then there is one, and only one, way to do it. Who won the most games? Who won the second most? And so on. Records, and absolutely nothing else. You went 10-2 in the SEC while I went 11-1 in the MAC? Your subjective nonsense does not matter, I am obviously better, because 11 is greater than 10.

Of course that would be a completely moronic way to do it. Unless you are going to have everyone play a full round robin there is ALWAYS going to be subjectivity to the process.

Exactly. There is no method that does not involve subjectivity. Look at the NCAA basketball tournament. 68 teams make the tournament, and the decisions are based on criteria that have been deemed important by the committee which makes the decisions. Last year, Pitt beat NC. Does that mean Pitt was better than NC and should have made the tournament? Of course not.
Aren't things like mathematical equations and negative values for an OOC like Michigan's and rewarding teams for playing P5 teams in the OOC completely subjective? I mean how much are you rewarding someone? How much are you taking away from someone else?

If you want to remove all the subjectivity then there is one, and only one, way to do it. Who won the most games? Who won the second most? And so on. Records, and absolutely nothing else. You went 10-2 in the SEC while I went 11-1 in the MAC? Your subjective nonsense does not matter, I am obviously better, because 11 is greater than 10.

Of course that would be a completely moronic way to do it. Unless you are going to have everyone play a full round robin there is ALWAYS going to be subjectivity to the process

Of course that would be a completely moronic way to do it. Unless you are going to have everyone play a full round robin there is ALWAYS going to be subjectivity to the process.
AND this is why the entire playoff needs to be corrected ASAP. Why is it that you would automatically assume that a 10-2 SEC team is "obviously better" then a 11-1 MAC team???
If you want to determine your National Champion based upon people's opinions then leave the playoffs the way they are now. If you want it to be decided on the field, where it is done, then the system needs changed.
Why is it that there is four levels of NCAA football and the FBS is the only one who does not have a real fair and open tournament to determine its champion? Consider the following...
- NCAA D-3 has a tournament that involves 32 teams.
- NCAA D-2 has a tournament that involves 28 teams.
- NCAA FCS has a tournament that involves 24 teams.
- NCAA FBS has a tournament that involved 4 teams..
The so-called leaders of NCAA FBS football state that they are watching out for the athletes. They play 12 games, plus conference championship games and then bowl games. Then they add to that these athletes have "finals" to worry about as well. HUH???
Don't those football players at the other 3 levels spend the same amount of time on their sport and their education as well???
It is all about the money and as long as everyone one continues to cater to the Power 5 conferences and their media deals, the sport will continue to self-destruct.

Last edited:
Why is it that you would automatically assume that a 10-2 SEC team is "obviously better" then a 11-1 MAC team???

Because I watch a lot of college football and I understand the game.

OK, now it's your turn. What could possibly make you think that an 11-1 MAC team would be better than a 10-2 SEC team?

College football, the only sport in America where people get pissed off when better teams make the playoffs at the expense of teams that are not as good.

still shake my head that the next logical step, an 8 team playoff, was completely skipped over.
I agree with you. They could do something like the 5 conference champs get an automatic bid, the highest ranked non P5 team gets an automatic bid, and 2 more teams are picked by the committee.
Eight is not to big, but it’s big enough that everyone who deserves a chance is in.

The dumbest idea in these playoffs is the playoff has to have the 4 or 12 SUBJECTIVE BEST teams, the ones you all think could beat everyone, so when one of those teams loses a couple games you want them in anyways, even if the teams they lost to are the other choices. To me that's STUPID, maybe you're really the best, but you should still be punished for losing actual games. Or this dumb idea, say a team goes 12-1 and wins the conference championship, but in that game loses their star QB, some might want to remove them because they need to play the backup, when they deserve it just for winning that game alone.

ADVERTISEMENT