ADVERTISEMENT

This team has the look of an NCAAT team

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
I've gone to the 1st/2nd Rounds almost every year since Dixon left so I've gotten to see a lot of those teams up close. This team has the "look" of one of those 10/11/12 seed type teams. Not to say they will make it but they have a lot of necessary pieces.

1. A big guy - Fede isnt great but he is serviceable. Can play D adequately, rebound, adequately, and can catch and dunk. You dont need Bill Walton but you arent getting an at-large bid with Rozelle Nix or Terrelle Brown. Fede is a good enough big.

2. A point guard - Nelly isnt a true point but he is growing into the ACC and has made winning plays at a lower level. You dont need your PG to be an All-American but if you can score a little, create a little, and keep TO's down, you have a chance. Nelly can be this.

3. 1 or 2 guys who can get buckets - This is Burton and Hinson. Burton is really becoming a star. Reminds me of Lamar Patterson with his "old man" game. Not really a shooter, not super quick, but understands how to score using every YMCA move in the book. Hinson also is a guy who can go off and get you 20. If these guys are scoring, we're hard to beat

4. A shooter - Need a guy who can stretch the D and get you 3 or 4 3s efficiently. Greg Elliot can do this.

5. Team defense - this is the major concern. We are not good defensively but way better than we were in November when we looked like the worst defensive Pitt team I've ever seen. If we dont make the NCAAT, it will be because of defense.

6. Bench - also a concern. Nike and Jorge can give minutes on the perimeter but after that, Guillermo isnt ready for extended minutes at the 5. And it appears Hugley and Santos are done. Without Hugley, Jeffress, and Dior, we only have 9 scholarship players, which is also why I think its possible Dior's "redshirt" gets taken off if we lose another guy or 2 and have a chance at the NCAAT. I think its essentially a "conditional" one season suspension disguised as a redshirt.

Reactions: chirurgo
A lot of words for what most of us think excerpt your recent posts how this team is still way on the outside. Hopefully you have changed douchebag I mean SNF

Reactions: FireballZ
A lot of words for what most of us think excerpt your recent posts how this team is still way on the outside. Hopefully you have changed douchebag I mean SNF

The team is still further out than I would have thought after beating UNC because of a really bad NET but I'm saying based on "look," they look like a team you'd see in that 10-12 range. Inotherwords, they do have the necessary pieces. Just comes down to winning enough games.

Interestingly they have 3 quad 1 wins right now, which is tied 10th in nation with Ohio state, Gonzaga and Bama. The others who have more are Houston, Zona, UConn, Kansas, Purdue, and Miami. 23 teams have 2 quad 1 wins. Tomorrow against UVA is huge. Win that and can make a solid case. They have avoided the dreaded quad 4 loss in recent years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT