ADVERTISEMENT

This week's game will be one the 5 most important Pitt has played at Heinz Field

UPitt '89

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Mar 14, 2002
In no particular order... the 5 most important Pitt football games at Heinz Field....

1. 2009 - 45-44 loss to Cincinnati in defacto BE championship game
2. 2013 - 41-13 loss to FSU in first ever ACC game (and first ever Jameis Winston game)
3. 2016 - 42-39 win against PSU in first game in rivalry in 16 years.
4. 2010 - 35-10 loss against WVU that effectively got Dave Wannstedt fired.

5. 2018 - VT. This week.

It depends on whether Pitt beats WF the following week... if we win, and lose to WF and Miami it means nothing. We have a long way to go...

The Pitt fsu game was of little importance but of great celebration. Nowhere near the top 5

The Miami game....when wannstedt invited every living football alum back, when the game was on national TV with Pitt ready to make a statement and move forward.....

That game was of critical importance for Pitt and well......

we pitted big time.

Reactions: FurioGiunta
Wasn't there a game at Heinz (not Cincy) where Pitt could have won and went to the Orange Bowl? Might have been Miami.

2003 with Wlat.

I'd also put the 2005 opener with ND on that list, and 2002 with WVU. Both pretty hyped games.

That was it. I remember the oranges ready to be thrown. I hope they were at least consumed.

I think the loss against Cincy is #1 and this loss to Miami is #2. They actually had a great bowl result tied into them.

The win against VT was #3, and of course I was at a wedding reception atop Mt. Washington.

I think we as Pitt fans are going to look back at the Georgia Tech game this year as one of the most critical in Heinz field history.

Lose that game, coming after a blowout to penn state, and the season likely unravels and pitt wins 3 maybe 4 games.

Instead, pitt bows their neck and knocks off Georgia Tech. They also come from behind to beat Syracuse and Duke as well as play Notre Dame tougher than anyone expected and kick Virginia's ass in the 2nd half.

It is looking quite likely that pitt will take a major step forward this year and make it to the ACC championship.

That Georgia Tech game was the lynchpin.

I think we as Pitt fans are going to look back at the Georgia Tech game this year as one of the most critical in Heinz field history.

Lose that game, coming after a blowout to penn state, and the season likely unravels and pitt wins 3 maybe 4 games.

Instead, pitt bows their neck and knocks off Georgia Tech. They also come from behind to beat Syracuse and Duke as well as play Notre Dame tougher than anyone expected and kick Virginia's ass in the 2nd half.

It is looking quite likely that pitt will take a major step forward this year and make it to the ACC championship.

That Georgia Tech game was the lynchpin.
Agree. Possibly Cuse as well depending on how they finish.

I frankly remain astonished we've won more than twice given the combo of mostly bad defense and always poor passing. So i expect the clock to strike midnight any time. But it hasn't yet.

Reactions: Las Panteras
ADVERTISEMENT