ADVERTISEMENT

This won’t be popular...I’m not renewing next year

H2P 2003

Sophomore
Sep 9, 2018
I’ve had tickets every year since the Todd graham year. I didn’t really think it get to this point, but my seats in the upper level bumped up to 190 next year, and frankly for me it no longer makes sense to but the tickets.

At this point, I will either look at downgrading seats, or moving to just buying off stub hub. Nearly 30 dollars a ticket with the availability on the secondary market and the schedule is just not worth it.

I’ve had tickets every year since the Todd graham year. I didn’t really think it get to this point, but my seats in the upper level bumped up to 190 next year, and frankly for me it no longer makes sense to but the tickets.

At this point, I will either look at downgrading seats, or moving to just buying off stub hub. Nearly 30 dollars a ticket with the availability on the secondary market and the schedule is just not worth it.

$30 bucks for 4 hours of entertainment... really the best deal in town and not knowing your financial situation...

One should buy season tickets to support the program. If your goal is to see games at the least possible cost, then I guess you're making a wise decision. $190 for a season of college football is quite affordable compared to many other programs.

$30 bucks for 4 hours of entertainment... really the best deal in town and not knowing your financial situation...

My financial situation is ok, but justifying spending an extra 20 dollars a game for really no reason doesn’t make sense for me to pay that amount.

The tickets are a great deal. UCF, Boston College, Miami-fl at home is a nice line-up too. And hopefully Ohio and Delaware are the auto-wins people have been asking for.

You're right - it isn't popular.

If this is too expensive for you (which it may be), than that's fine. However if you're complaining about the cost vs. the state of the program, you're being counter productive.

You're right - it isn't popular.

If this is too expensive for you (which it may be), than that's fine. However if you're complaining about the cost vs. the state of the program, you're being counter productive.

In my situation, saving a couple dollars can help. Really doesn’t have anything to do with the state of the program.

Like I said, I’ve had them the last 8 years, and I hate to give them up, but I can’t justify paying probably 100% more for the tickets than if I buy them through secondary markets.

Reactions: pitt-girl
I guess living in the pro world, the last thing that would keep me from going to the Pitt game is the cost. I mean, okay, that is a bit arrogant I guess, but compared with other sports in town, concerts, etc.....Pitt football is a bargain. Even at 8 yards total passing.

Reactions: BPKY and ratking17
I don’t want to go too far down this road, but I am sick of boomers constantly insulting the younger generations. Millennials have been dealt a pretty crappy hand between student debt, inflation, and completely stagnated wages.
atta boy, go victim, its all the rage..

inflation?...haha, that's rich. might want to take a look at the inflation rate for the last ten years or so and compare it to the heyday of the boomers you mention...

I don’t want to go too far down this road, but I am sick of boomers constantly insulting the younger generations. Millennials have been dealt a pretty crappy hand between student debt, inflation, and completely stagnated wages.

So? I heard the same thing from the survivors of the Great Depression and World War II when I was a young man. I complained about long commutes and leaving my hometown to get a job, the steel mills were shutting down, gas lines, Vietnam War and the draft, political corruption (Watergate), the energy crisis, etc...

You know what they told me??? They told me to quit complaining and suck it up... Their life was much more difficult... They were right, so I did...

Tickets definitely can be gotten for very little on the Slack Market. But part of the idea is to support the program. Having said that, I'll easily agree that shouldn't ONLY be the idea, and many years the school doesn't seem to deserve the support.

But think of it as an investment... that the long awaited breakthru year will come (someday) and then the tickets thereafter will be in demand suddenly, but you'll have inside track to retain your good seats. Or a wager of sorts... the same thing above happens, but you don't actually care as much about going, BUT you can suddenly sell those seats for big $ and cash in. I know multiple folks with Steeler tickets who never go, they just sell them for profit.

More sentimentally, keeping them also to have the consistency of the same seats around the same folks every year. (I guess you don't like your seatmates? Or vice versa?). In our section we never knew each other in year one of Heinz, we were seated together randomly, and could certainly move (and some have, moving up to the club over the years). But the core of us have stayed in the same seats 17 years (yikes) now, and it's like we're kinda family at this point. Tailgate or meet up at restaurants ahead of games and after. Some of us now go to hoops games together too.

I guess my point is that you might not get a winner every year (or maybe any years) and maybe it's possible to save a few bucks some years vs others but is it worth breaking up the family...

Tickets definitely can be gotten for very little on the Slack Market. But part of the idea is to support the program. Having said that, I'll easily agree that shouldn't ONLY be the idea, and many years the school doesn't seem to deserve the support.

But think of it as an investment... that the long awaited breakthru year will come (someday) and then the tickets thereafter will be in demand suddenly, but you'll have inside track to retain your good seats. Or a wager of sorts... the same thing above happens, but you don't actually care as much about going, BUT you can s suddenly sell those seats for big $ and cash in.

More sentimentality also to have the consistency of the same seats around the same folks (I guess you don't like your seatmates? Or vice versa?). In our section we never knew each other in year one, were seated together randomly, could certainly move (and some have, moving up to the club over the years). But the core of us have stayed in the same seats 17 years (yikes) now, and it's like we're kinda family at this point. Tailgate or meet up at restaurants ahead of games and after. Some of us now go to hoops games together too.

I guess my point is that you might not get a winner every year (or maybe any years) and maybe it's possible to save a few bucks some years vs others but is it worth breaking up the family...

I’m on the fence. I’ll honestly probably buy them when the tax return comes in February. I’m not worried about the winner or loser aspect so much.

The other problem is my job requires me to work every third Saturday, and getting those days off, even months in advance is a bear. Without knowing the ACC schedule, that could block off at east two games I can go to.

Last edited:
Buying season tickets is a personal decision.

So why are you making your decision public?

I honestly don't understand your motivation for doing this.

Did you think that people here who don't even know you really care one way or the other?

I'm baffled by this posting.

Last edited:
The poor Millennials. They have lived off the backs of the American soldiers and contributed virtually nothing to out country. Bunch of whiny babies.

Did you think that people here who don't even know you really cares one way or the other?

You cared enough to respond....

I guess living in the pro world, the last thing that would keep me from going to the Pitt game is the cost. I mean, okay, that is a bit arrogant I guess, but compared with other sports in town, concerts, etc.....Pitt football is a bargain. Even at 8 yards total passing.
Look at it this way—if you break down the ticket price by cost per completed pass, it’s one of the most expensive tickets in college football.

A bunch of grumpy old men who put their lifes on the line for you.
tenor.gif

I am not going to criticize the OP from a financial point of view. I do wish we as pitt fans could treat each other better and be a bit more empathetic. While I continue to believe pitt should increase ticket prices as they are so cheap compared to their peers, if the OP cant afford them he cant afford them. I wish I could support the team at the sun bowl but its outside my price range.

Yep. Don’t forget you have no pension to look forward to and your 401K plan is probably your only savings account. When I was in college a year’s tuition including room and board was less than $6000. Minimum wage was $3.35 Today’s tuition has quadrupled. The minimum wage?

A bunch of grumpy old men who put their lifes on the line for you.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Reactions: H2P-2007

Or you could opt for the PITT Ticket Financing Program specially designed for the Millennial college football fan.
PITT offers a No Money Down program, imagine that No Money Down TIcket Purchase Program to qualified buyers, with 5 and 10 year financing options at a very attractive interest rate of 5.999999999999999%.
Imagine a No Money Down PITT ticket program financing offer Unbelievable.
This is definitely the way to go and is similar to tuition financing programs that have worked out well for millennials.
To take advantage of the unbelievable PITT Football TIcket Financing Offer call 1800 PITT LOL.
If you call within the next 24 hours the interest rate is reduced to 5.8888999% for qualified buyers only.
So hurry to get this great rate.
This offer is to good to pass up and will expire maybe?

Last edited:
Yep. Don’t forget you have no pension to look forward to and your 401K plan is probably your only savings account. When I was in college a year’s tuition including room and board was less than $6000. Minimum wage was $3.35 Today’s tuition has quadrupled. The minimum wage?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Yep.

I always go back to my grandfathers. Both raised families with 3 children, both had houses/cars etc, both put their kids through college, one bought a beer distributor working.

They did it as a milkman and mailman....simply put, you can’t do that anymore. When my mom went to a state school on the 70’s I think everything cost maybe 2k a year? Now.....

If your only intention is to go to a few games, then you’re definitely doing the right thing financially.

But keep in mind that your buying tickets on the secondary internet market - or from a street scalper - does nothing to support the program.

I’m not gonna lecture you....do what you think you gotta do.

In Liue of the PITT Ticket FInancing Program:

Use your head to free up some funds to buy PITT Football Season tickets.
Most of us do this all the time to balance the ins and outs of personal finances.

Buy a few less cases of Craft Beer and you could fund your season ticket purchase.

Or get a holiday job for a few months at your favorite retailer and make a few extra bucks to purchase your season tickets.

Volunteer for some overtime.

Skip a trip to the bar a few times which would help free up money for season tickets.

Eliminate one concert or show maybe two? more money for season tickets.

Go light on Christmas presents people will understand you're trying to buy season tickets.

If you look at other things you spend money on like your internet, rent, food, liquor, clothes, TV, cable, cell plans, etc they all go up every year.

I bet you don't find a place to post complaints about those increases and if you do you still pay the bills.

One of our millennial kids is working 60+ hours a week to increase his annual y/e end bonus so he can afford home improvements and things like PITT tickets.

The other gets premium pay after so many base hours. He's maxing out his premium pay to increase his disposable income by volunteering to work weekends. He also operates a small business from his home. More money to improve his home, and buy PITT season tickets.

I haven't heard them complain about PITT ticket prices and I doubt they will.

You get the idea????????????

Last edited:
Reactions: Pitt5593
I bet you I can find tickets online to any of those games for 20 dollars or less.
I for one can understand this. I had 4 tickets for years in section 523 row E. I cut down to 3 tickets this past year and still paid the same amount I did the year before forn4 tickets the prior year. I check stub hub often during the season and find tickets around me for $6, also I forget if it was GT or Cuse this past year I believe it was Cuse for homecoming that I found tickets, row A in the new section below the scoreboard for $9 for that game. If I wasn't attached to my seats and formed a relationship with the group of people around me after so many years I would consider going that route as well right now. Now shame in it, least you are still going to show up at games, and when the team begins to win more and so forth can easily pick up the season tickets again. I purchase my tickets from another fan who gets 3 sets of season tickets for his family (his kids went to Pitt) and I was even offered two seats and a parking pass in the lower bowl near him, I refused though as stated before the people around me, I have isle seats and I am the last row before the rows of seats start going upwards, so the walk way is right behind my bleachers. I understand many want you to give your money to the university but as long as you show up and buying merchandise and so forth... with the price tickets are on stub hub and such, the freedom of sitting different places and where you please each game is appealing.

Reactions: fairgambit

Hey guys look at me look at me

Reactions: BuffetParrothead

Did you think that people here who don't even know you really cares one way or the other?

Seriously. Freaking drama queen. Might as well post this on Facebook to have your friends ask if you are ok.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT