ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Louisville/Rest of season.

cpc247

Redshirt
Jun 26, 2013
Man, nice to win that game. Period. Don't care about looks at the end of the day win. 3-0

Now on to the good stuff and the petty stuff.

The Good:
#1. This defense is awesome it is the best "Pitt thing" I've watched from the team since probably Shady.

#2.Jones, Kancey, Weaver are just WOW! -The other guys are really really good too, but these guys just jump off the screen.

#3. I loved Avonte Maddox and his competitive spirit. Jason Pinnock is that with size. Pinnock may have the hardest job in college football and has played amazing. If you think he will not get "burnt" this season then you have no clue what he is responsible for. Young talented CB's please watch this guy play football.

#4. Kenny Pickett is much improved. He is a way better athlete than he is "allowed" to showcase (probably because of what is backing him up). Really happy to see him finding his way.

#5. It's hard to not leave Addison of this list. As a freshman he has been fantastic. I don't think I can say he is Tyler Boyd (freshman), but I can say that he stick out like TB did.
#5A. Izzy provides me with a lot of excitement at the RB position. I think it's pretty clear everyone else is 2nd place once he can pass block at the college level.

The Petty:
#1. Can we please stop "spreading the football around". KP(throwing & running), Izzy(4.8ypc), AJ.Davis (4.2 ypc)Addison(best hands on team), Turner (should be used at RB instead of V.Davis as pass catcher out of the back field & Mack (biggest proven deep threat) are the only players that have proven they provide anything consistently. I know I know what about V. Davis and his 3.7 yards per carry, not hating on him I just think he fills a role and that role should be taken by turner for this season. He will get better and be a good player for us later on.

#2. Damar....great player, great IQ, NO top end speed. Hate to say it, but it will be interesting to see how much Brandon Hill progresses by game 7/8. Would love to see Damar come play for us again next year. He reminds me of Ray Vinapol so much. Great player not a top draft pick athletically. He is the target of a lot of deep balls (thank #2 above that a lot of those throws don't get made accurately).

#3. Coach Whip....Come on man. It's clear we can run the ball from under center. Why would we go away from that completely when in the redzone. Sometimes it doesn't matter if they "know" the play. If our guys are better at a skill set and we execute.... do it until they prove it can be stopped. The swing passes and difficult over the middle passing concepts aren't resulting in points. If we are relying on the "wild panther" play calling to score each time we enter the red-zone.....well good luck...

Special "good" ...The players on this roster. They play their tails off. 1st string - 5th string...they play 100%.

As a long time Pitt fan... really proud of this team....really like the coaching staff....I just would like to see some common sense in the red-zone/running game so this offense can put teams away and contribute to getting the national recognition this team deserves.

If we want to compete with the top of the ACC....we won't have the luxury of field goals.

H2P...Most optimistic i've been in a while for Pitt football.
Send some feedback on how you see this season/team.

For the love of god, please dont’ let us line up and run in a fullback, under center formation when the actual defenses come calling. That will be an absolute disaster.

Man, nice to win that game. Period. Don't care about looks at the end of the day win. 3-0

The Good:
#1. This defense is awesome it is the best "Pitt thing" I've watched from the team since probably Shady.

#2.Jones, Kancey, Weaver are just WOW! -The other guys are really really good too, but these guys just jump off the screen.

#3. I loved Avonte Maddox and his competitive spirit. Jason Pinnock is that with size. Pinnock may have the hardest job in college football and has played amazing. If you think he will not get "burnt" this season then you have no clue what he is responsible for. Young talented CB's please watch this guy play football.

#4. Kenny Pickett is much improved. He is a way better athlete than he is "allowed" to showcase (probably because of what is backing him up). Really happy to see him finding his way.

#5. It's hard to not leave Addison of this list. As a freshman he has been fantastic. I don't think I can say he is Tyler Boyd (freshman), but I can say that he stick out like TB did.
#5A. Izzy provides me with a lot of excitement at the RB position. I think it's pretty clear everyone else is 2nd place once he can pass block at the college level.

The Petty:
#1. Can we please stop "spreading the football around". KP(throwing & running), Izzy(4.8ypc), AJ.Davis (4.2 ypc)Addison(best hands on team), Turner (should be used at RB instead of V.Davis as pass catcher out of the back field & Mack (biggest proven deep threat) are the only players that have proven they provide anything consistently. I know I know what about V. Davis and his 3.7 yards per carry, not hating on him I just think he fills a role and that role should be taken by turner for this season. He will get better and be a good player for us later on.

#2. Damar....great player, great IQ, NO top end speed. Hate to say it, but it will be interesting to see how much Brandon Hill progresses by game 7/8. Would love to see Damar come play for us again next year. He reminds me of Ray Vinapol so much. Great player not a top draft pick athletically. He is the target of a lot of deep balls (thank #2 above that a lot of those throws don't get made accurately).

#3. Coach Whip....Come on man. It's clear we can run the ball from under center. Why would we go away from that completely when in the redzone. Sometimes it doesn't matter if they "know" the play. If our guys are better at a skill set and we execute.... do it until they prove it can be stopped. The swing passes and difficult over the middle passing concepts aren't resulting in points. If we are relying on the "wild panther" play calling to score each time we enter the red-zone.....well good luck...

Special "good" ...The players on this roster. They play their tails off. 1st string - 5th string...they play 100%.

As a long time Pitt fan... really proud of this team....really like the coaching staff....I just would like to see some common sense in the red-zone/running game so this offense can put teams away and contribute to getting the national recognition this team deserves.

If we want to compete with the top of the ACC....we won't have the luxury of field goals.

Great post.
Pickett is playing at B+ level. If he stays healthy and takes it up a notch then special season.
He has to throw the ball away more if for no other reason than to stay healthy. We are not deep at the QB position.
Whipple defies logic sometimes. It is as if he predetermined a play being used by a certain time and he's gonna use it no matter what. I prefer having my OC upstairs where HE can see the game.

Time to run the ball. When you run your QB doesn't get hit (unless he's your best runner), you suck up db backs and linebackers and perhaps most importantly for this team, we are assured of not dropping a pass if we aren't throwing it.

The Good:

The Petty:

Liked the Damar/Ray Vinapol comparison. I’d throw-in a Tommy Flynn mention, too: players who may not have the absolutely greatest physical tools, but they provide the smarts and stability that good secondaries need.

ADVERTISEMENT