ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts

Oct 25, 2021
- I still contend that Daniel Carter is the second-best non-suspended back on this team. Way better hips/feet and vision than Davis. I don't get it. He also picked up multiple blitzers while blocking.

I also think Hammond would thrive in this offense, so that one stings.

- This d line is awful. We missed a lot of coverage assignments on defense, and that can be fixed. The line, however? YSU hangs 30-something on us if not for some self-induced penalties, what I thought was a fortuitous fumble call, etc. Guys up front just getting their asses kicked. This team would waltz to 9-3 with even last year's very average d line, which is nuts. I think I saw Borders, Matlack, and Donald after the game hula-hooping Cheerios.

- I continue to be confused as to whether or not Gavin Bartholomew is a good inline tight end.

- Shotgun on 4th and a foot is a little disappointing.

- Kenny Johnson returned way too many kicks for my preference. Should have had him fair catching against an FCS team.

- Similarly, why the hell was the entire starting OL in there so long? We left after the pick six and I still hadn't seen a backup play. If either of those tackles go down, good night.

- Our safeties are not playing as well as I had hoped. The linebackers, however, are as good as advertised. Louis, George, and Biles are a hell of a trio. What we do in the ACC will probably depend on how well the linebackers can make up for shoddy d line play.

- Clemson and Miami both look like they would eat our lunch, but my gosh does the rest of this conference suck. Dare I call 8-4 "the bar" right now?

My thoughts, when you play a team that is inferior (FCS) to your team you should win and win big! You shouldn't go into OT (2017, 28-21) to win and you damn sure shouldn't lose (2012, 17-31) to them!

Reactions: pittmeister
- I still contend that Daniel Carter is the second-best non-suspended back on this team. Way better hips/feet and vision than Davis. I don't get it. He also picked up multiple blitzers while blocking.

- This d line is awful. We missed a lot of coverage assignments on defense, and that can be fixed. The line, however? YSU hangs 30-something on us if not for some self-induced penalties, what I thought was a fortuitous fumble call, etc. Guys up front just getting their asses kicked. This team would waltz to 9-3 with even last year's very average d line, which is nuts. I think I saw Borders, Matlack, and Donald after the game hula-hooping Cheerios.

- I continue to be confused as to whether or not Gavin Bartholomew is a good inline tight end.

- Kenny Johnson returned way too many kicks for my preference. Should have had him fair catching against an FCS team.

- Similarly, why the hell was the entire starting OL in there so long? We left after the pick six and I still hadn't seen a backup play. If either of those tackles go down, good night.

- Our safeties are not playing as well as I had hoped. The linebackers, however, are as good as advertised. Louis, George, and Biles are a hell of a trio. What we do in the ACC will probably depend on how well the linebackers can make up for shoddy d line play.

- Clemson and Miami both look like they would eat our lunch, but my gosh does the rest of this conference suck. Dare I call 8-4 "the bar" right now?
You sure are a miserable F@&$. Geez.

I was Waaaay down on Narduzzi and Pitt, like you.

I didn't think Holstein was the right pick at QB.

Thought hiring Kade Bell was a huge reach.

Through 4 games Narduzzi pulled off the first undefeated non conference schedule in history!!

Holstein is a freshmen! The worst part of the team is the defense!

Ya, things will calm down a little, but Christ. I'm not afraid to admit I was totally wrong and couldn't be happier! Win games ! He's done that.

Good for him

Through 4 games Narduzzi pulled off the first undefeated non conference schedule in history!!

Ya, things will calm down a little, but Christ. I'm not afraid to admit I was totally wrong and couldn't be happier! Win games ! He's done that.

Good for him

I mean, they could still finish 6-6. Don't think so, but they could.

However, we've seen a lot of good so far. Far more good than I expected.

We knew the DL was bad. Just accept it, it's not getting fixed. We'll need to score points to win, and thank God it looks like they can.

Enjoy it.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce

Good for him

I'm cautiously optimistic. We're basically striving to have the season WVU did last year. Still not loving what I'm seeing in the trenches.

4-0 and a post that's 90% negative. That's good stuff right there.

"This conference" - as if other conferences not named SEC are any better.

Jesus H. be happy and look at the positives too.

The ACC is equal to the Big Ten?

Even if we said Miami/Clemson and Ohio State/Oregon cancel each other out, the ACC doesn't have a Penn State, Michigan, or a USC.

Last edited:

We knew the DL was bad. Just accept it, it's not getting fixed. We'll need to score points to win, and thank God it looks like they can.

Enjoy it.
Perhaps semantics but I’m not sure the dl is bad as much as it’s young and not quite ready for prime time. I think they’ll get better as the year goes on and assuming they can keep them they’ll be pretty good next year

I do think other than MdMillan the other safety spot has not been as good as advertised. I think Crookins should be getting more PT.

I'm SO glad you posted this so I could be sad for a couple weeks before our next crushing loss.

• Haha
Reactions: pittbb80

Enjoy it.
Yep. Different game now generally speaking in CFB. OC and QB are SO critical. Just looking at scores of winning teams yesterday in the ACC: Clemson 59; UVA 43; Duke 45; SMU 66; Miami 50; UNC scored 50 and LOST. Of course Pitt with 10 TD's.

This is today's CFB. Rule changes favor offense. TV networks LOVE scoring. Fantasy football and gambling help to drive up TV ratings and more points being scored fuels the interest.

The HARDEST positions to recruit successfully and consistently for the vast majority of CFB programs are OL and DL. So putting together an offensive scheme that doesn’t rely as heavily on extreme physicality, or simply overpowering an with line play on both sides of the ball, can keep a lot of programs reasonably competitive.

Will have to see how all of this works out for Pitt. But I can get the sense that Narduzzi is coming to the realization that winning game strictly with the run game and defense is becoming more and more difficult unless you’re a perennial top 10 type program able to recruit Loads of talented lineman on both sides of the ball and then retain them.

Yep. Different game now generally speaking in CFB. OC and QB are SO critical. Just looking at scores of winning teams yesterday in the ACC: Clemson 59; UVA 43; Duke 45; SMU 66; Miami 50; UNC scored 50 and LOST. Of course Pitt with 10 TD's.

This is today's CFB. Rule changes favor offense. TV networks LOVE scoring. Fantasy football and gambling help to drive up TV ratings and more points being scored fuels the interest.

The HARDEST positions to recruit successfully and consistently for the vast majority of CFB programs are OL and DL. So putting together an offensive scheme that doesn’t rely as heavily on extreme physicality, or simply overpowering an with line play on both sides of the ball, can keep a lot of programs reasonably competitive.

Will have to see how all of this works out for Pitt. But I can get the sense that Narduzzi is coming to the realization that winning game strictly with the run game and defense is becoming more and more difficult unless you’re a perennial top 10 type program able to recruit Loads of talented lineman on both sides of the ball and then retain them.

Ultimately, I think you need both. UNC is the poster child for great offenses and piss poor defenses. But I do think offense is much more important. And it's certainly much more fun to watch. Like, we rode the ground game to 6-2 in the ACC in 2018, but there was a very clear line in the sand as to which teams we could beat and which ones would run us off the field. This is much more preferable as a whole.

Just hope these young d linemen stick with Pitt and develop over these next few years. If so, the future is bright.

Ultimately, I think you need both. UNC is the poster child for great offenses and piss poor defenses. But I do think offense is much more important. And it's certainly much more fun to watch. Like, we rode the ground game to 6-2 in the ACC in 2018, but there was a very clear line in the sand as to which teams we could beat and which ones would run us off the field. This is much more preferable as a whole.

Just hope these young d linemen stick with Pitt and develop over these next few years. If so, the future is bright.
So much is year-to-year now. Young OL and DL aren’t as apt to be satisfied with waiting to get on the field. Especially since they have the Portal to use as leverage.

All of these P4 level players want to get to the NFL ASAP. RS’ing or “waiting their turn” doesn’t help them with that. So programs either have to play younger, generally less physically developed linemen, or risk losing them to somewhere who tells them they can play right away.

Programs have to adapt and figure it out. We are seeing college programs hiring GM types now to take some burden off of HC’s regarding roster management (Portal) and financial (NIL) issues facing all college athletics.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT