ADVERTISEMENT

Three Pitt Commits in Televised All-Star Volleyball Tomorrow

mike412

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Santa Monica, CA
Or today for those of you in the East. 4pm on ESPU.

Olivia Babcock and Blaire Bayless will be
playing for Team Phantom and Torrey Stafford will be playing for Team Speed.

That’s 3 out of 27 players. Quite an impressive testament to this recruiting class, and it should be a good recruiting tool for Fisher in the future.

A good chance to see Pitt’s future outside hitters.

That’s 3 out of 27 players. Quite an impressive testament to this recruiting class, and it should be a good recruiting tool for Fisher in the future.

Fisher is one of the greats for sure.

Wow, Babcock has been a dominant blocker, really changing the match

Just referred to Babcock Stafford battle in set 2. Both girls looking great. Fish has a lot to work with.

Reactions: HOF Coach
Announcer just said, "This is turning into a Babcock vs Stafford match up. "

H2P!

Reactions: Chaos
Speed takes set 2. In each set, Phantom had multiple set points and not able to convert.

Bayless with 2 consecutive kills to win Set 3 for Phantom and extend the match!

Fish has some potential superstars in this All-American game.

He's gotta have a big grin on his face. Bayless' serve is lethal. And Torrey comes with airline miles, how high she gets off the floor.

Babock looks every bit the basketball player - big bodied & moves well.

Babcock with the block to win Set 4!

We're going to Set 5...

What a great interview with Stafford after the match!

Panthers fans...you are going to love her!

Torrey's a lock for that Captain's 'C' once Fairbanks moves on. Such a good teammate.

Blaire's jump serve is something we haven't seen since Jessica Wynn was on the back line.

So excited to cheer Olivia, Torrey, and Blaire this upcoming season!

The volleytalk board thread on the match is super high on the PItt trio .

One regular thinks with these 3 added to what Pitt has coming back - Pitt is with Texas , Nebraska, and Stanford as the top 4 teams next season.

Stafford was the match MVP.

I remember someone on this Board saying that he saw Stafford play as a junior in HS and that she can “jump out of the gym” and is going to be great. Not that I’m bragging….

The only time she wasn’t dominant was a stretch in the third set where she was fatigued.

I assume she won the MVP.

I remember someone on this Board saying that he saw Stafford play as a junior in HS and that she can “jump out of the gym” and is going to be great. Not that I’m bragging….

The only time she wasn’t dominant was a stretch in the third set where she was fatigued.

I assume she won the MVP.
Stafford was named MVP.

Thanks for giving us a heads-up about this All-American game being broadcasted on ESPNU.

Reactions: vantheman1976
What an outstanding trio of talent.....impossible not to be excited about Pitt's future. That was thoroughly enjoyable to watch!
This was a funny post from volley talk

Can someone give me a quick recap. Who were the 6 best players on the floor? Who underperformed? Who can get me a bottle of champagne?

Response:
The best six included:
Torrey Stafford
T.S.
Stafford, Torrey
#4 on Speed
The Pitt Commit at OH
Ms. Stafford

• Love
Reactions: Chaos and HOF Coach
Stafford sort of reminds me of Jordan Thompson from Univ of Cincinnati a few years back who could jump out of the gym.

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
It’s hard after watching that match not to be excited about the future of Pitt volleyball.

Tory Stafford won the MVP. The vote could not have been close. Early in the match, she was defeating one on one blocks with ease. Later they tried to double her at every opportunity. She was able to split the block so score pretty consistently. She scored from the left side, ftom the right side and from the back row. Her ability to hit ftom the back row is a big positive as that has been lacking in the offense.

Olivia Babcock had a few kills but she had double digit blocks. She will be Pitt’s next Serena Gray — a middle blocker who scores on a high percentage of her hitting attempts.

Blaire Bayless hardly played in the first set, but she got more PT as the match went on. She was the most effective server on the Phantoms. She has a hard low serve that dips suddenly. She had 3 or 4 nice runs serving. She also had consecutive kills from the right side to win the third set for her team. They didn’t set her that much but she was effective when they did.

Nebraska actually had 5 players in the match. I assume they are giving a lot of half scholarships. It’s one of the cheapest state schools to attend as an out of state student, and they recruited players from Michigan, North Carolina, South Dakota and Colorado. Louisville had one player and she looked like a younger clone of one of the seniors they are losing.

Lots of talk on the volley talk forum about where the OH who entered the portal from Florida will go. None of it mentioned Pitt.

Last edited:
It’s hard after watching that match not to be excited about the future of Pitt volleyball.

Tory Stafford won the MVP. The vote could not have been close. Early in the match, she was defeating one on one blocks with ease. Later they tried to double her at every opportunity. She was able to split the block so score pretty consistently. She scored from the left side, ftom the right side and from the back row. Her ability to hit ftom the back row is a big positive as that has been lacking in the offense.

Olivia Babcock had a few kills but she had double digit blocks. She will be Pitt’s next Serena Gray — a middle blocker who scores on a high percentage of her hitting attempts.

Blaire Bayless hardly played in the first set, but she got more PT as the match went on. She was the most effective server on the Phantoms. She has a hard low serve that dips suddenly. She had 3 or 4 nice runs serving. She also had consecutive kills from the right side to win the third set for her team. They didn’t set her that much but she was effective when they did.

Nebraska actually had 5 players in the match. I assume they are giving a lot of half scholarships. It’s one of the cheapest state schools to attend as an out of state student, and they recruited players from Michigan, North Carolina, South Dakota and Colorado. Louisville had one player and she looked like a younger clone of one of the seniors they are losing.

Lots of talk on the volley talk forum about where the OH who entered the portal from Florida will go. None of it mentioned Pitt.
You must be referring to Merritt Beason the OH/RS from Florida. She is transferring to Nebraska in January.

Reactions: singregardless
Pitt listed her as a RS. Did she actually play MB in this match?

I assume they are giving a lot of half scholarships.

Volleyball is a head count sport, which means that you can only have 12 players on scholarship whether they are all on full rides or they are all only getting $1. So they can't give, say, 24 half scholarships, or 18 two thirds scholarships.

The other head count sports are football, men's and women's basketball, women's gymnastics and women's tennis.

Reactions: levance2
Volleyball is a head count sport, which means that you can only have 12 players on scholarship whether they are all on full rides or they are all only getting $1. So they can't give, say, 24 half scholarships, or 18 two thirds scholarships.

The other head count sports are football, men's and women's basketball, women's gymnastics and women's tennis.
I didn’t know that - thanks. So, for next season presume these players are definitely toward that 12:
Fairbanks
VG
Dalton
Jepsen
Klika
Flood
Stafford
Babcock
Bayless
Tautua’a (other incoming frosh)

Questions:
Griffin
Akeo

Assuming Nwokolo is not using last year and Posada either transfers or not on scholarship.

My guess is Akeo and or Griffin are not on scholarship next season as we bring in one or two transfers.

This was a funny post from volley talk

Can someone give me a quick recap. Who were the 6 best players on the floor? Who underperformed? Who can get me a bottle of champagne?

Response:
The best six included:
Torrey Stafford
T.S.
Stafford, Torrey
#4 on Speed
The Pitt Commit at OH
Ms. Stafford
Murray was very good also. Thought her, Babcock and Stanford were the three best.

Murray was very good also. Thought her, Babcock and Stanford were the three best.
I thought Murray was the most “polished” player. I don’t think her upside is as high as some of the other players because they simply are more athletic than she is. She can only dream of ever being able to jump like Stafford, for example.

Someone asked if Babcock played MB in the match. I guess my answer would be yes and no.
Her team had another MB who was also listed at 6’4 and was, shall we say, much wider than Babcock. She stayed in the middle when she was in the front rotation, and was subbed out when she was in the back.

She and Babcock tried to double the hitter on the other team, but when they went up together it usually was Babcock who got credit for the block —at least from the announcers. She got up faster than the wider player and is so tall and jumps so well that she often was able to make the block on the other side of the net without committing a net violation. From what they reported of Fisher’s comments, he sees her as a MB. In the match, all of her kills came as an OH because she never lined up in the middle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT