ADVERTISEMENT

Thug

HailtoPitt

Board of Trustee
Jun 18, 2001
So now this word is not PC to use? PN was criticised for saying that some teams play like thugs? Well excuse me... some teams DO play like thugs. I wasn't aware that this word was racial.

does this mean these guys are racist?

Bone_Thugs-n-Harmony_-_Uni5_The_World%27s_Enemy.jpg

So now this word is not PC to use? PN was criticised for saying that some teams play like thugs? Well excuse me... some teams DO play like thugs. I wasn't aware that this word was racial.

Welcome to the 1990s. I see you've shown your true colors not that you aren't "supporting Bernie."

And by the way... Now football coaches can't say the word thug because it's now considered racial but we can have an NFL team named the Redskins, an actual derogatory word based on race.
There are still high school teams with Redskins and Redmen as nicknames.So it seems only Colleges have taken to the PC movement on that.Still cant understand why Marquette changed from Warriors to Eagles.Warriors seem ok to me.

Reactions: BFo8
Welcome to the 1990s. I see you've shown your true colors not that you aren't "supporting Bernie."

So you believe that the word thug is racial? I don't.

In fact over on the locker room board there is a post about "KKK thugs". I just don't see it.

In fact over on the locker room board there is a post about "KKK thugs". I just don't see it.

I think words change meaning and this one changed years and years ago. This isn't some new thing people are all of a sudden concerned about in 2020.

Reactions: rschaitkin30
I think words change meaning and this one changed years and years ago. This isn't some new thing people are all of a sudden concerned about in 2020.

Words can change meanings and their definitions can broaden and narrow (thanks Pitt linguistics 101), but I see thug as a word being independent of race. In growing up and running into racist people from time to time, they will just use the N word.

The point is that a group of African-American football players took offense, so therefore it seems like a small concession to simply refrain from using it. I mean, I am not a PC person AT ALL, but I do see the players viewpoint, especially when another word could easily be substituted.

Reactions: kyfra
Next, Are Irish people to take offense to fighting Irish? I'm Irish and I couldn't care less

Then you haven't been paying any attention....no Trump Cult45 insult intended.

Honestly, the word I use for the tough guy police officer who plays the jerk because he has a badge on and can get away with physical abuse of others is "Thug" which is to me the true definition, "the gestapo was made up of a bunch of Thugs". These are who was referred to as thugs where I come from....

Reactions: benchwarmer04
Honestly, the word I use for the tough guy police officer who plays the jerk because he has a badge on and can get away with physical abuse of others is "Thug" which is to me the true definition, "the gestapo was made up of a bunch of Thugs". These are who was referred to as thugs where I come from....

You must be racist. :rolleyes:

was changed b/c it was felt that it characterized native americans as war-like people. NA's thought it was disrespectful if memory serves.
I get that.Maybe I missed it but I never saw in any of there logos or mascots depicting a native American when they were the Warriors.Unlike St Johns or Miami of Ohio and so on.

Reactions: pitt90seven
You must be racist. :rolleyes:
Not true. You two obviously are not black men being called thugs. Especially if the reason is your clothes or appearance. Just because you do not believe the word thug can be offensive, it does not mean the word is not offensive to others. If you cannot see or understand that concept, I feel bad for you.

Reactions: PittInMissouri
It's not necessarily for you to understand. If someone tells you they are offended by something you said don't try to argue semantics with them to prove you're right; just don't say it anymore.

It's not necessarily for you to understand. If someone tells you they are offended by something you said don't try to argue semantics with them to prove you're right; just don't say it anymore.

My thoughts exactly. A majority of our football team is comprised of African Americans, many of whom find the term offensive -- or so I gather from the statement. What possible benefit would there be in continuing to use it, or calling out those who are offended? It's easy enough to avoid the term.

If you cannot see or understand that concept, I feel bad for you.

When did I say I didn't see this? I have no reason to use the word, especially in publc, but even in general use. I merely meant that in my formative years, in my setting, the word was used to refer to people who were enforcing government directives and doing so in ways that easily led to physically harming people. Thus the image that is conjured up in my head at the use of said word is far, far removed from today's connotation of the word.

You personally may or may not use "thug" as a racial slur, or you may willingly play along with it. But, increasingly over the last few decades it was a code word within the conservative movement as a wink and nod, cause there is a line as far as people can actually say things, that is the PC battle.
Electing someone who relentlessly pushes the boundaries further past what was a tenuous status quo got us to this moment where there is now a correction occurring. Obviously Fox News hosts are going to have to find a different whistle now.
Side note. I grew up at a time when calling someone a retard was an accepted and light hearted jab. I still find myself having to pull back when the urge to call someone an fin r----- comes up. Times change. Thats life.

I'm offended by the word offended. Please don't use offended around me. I hear Webster's is putting out a dictionary with words we should no longer use and it changes daily.

It not the word it the context of how you use it. I don't know why it hard for people to understand it. For example if you say a traditional African american hair style such a dreadlocks makes you look like a thug then it is racist. It is stereotyping a person based on a style of hair then it 100% being racist. However if you are using it to describe a behavior such as someone selling drugs or committing a crime it is not racist. The use of the word thug by white people has increasing been used to negatively describe African Americans as criminals simply based on appearances and not actual behavior.

It not the word it the context of how you use it. I don't know why it hard for people to understand it. For example if you say a traditional African american hair style such a dreadlocks makes you look like a thug then it is racist. It is stereotyping a person based on a style of hair then it 100% being racist. However if you are using it to describe a behavior such as someone selling drugs or committing a crime it is not racist. The use of the word thug by white people has increasing been used to negatively describe African Americans as criminals simply based on appearances and not actual behavior.
Maybe he also used the word in the context of hair styles or clothing choices, but I thought he got criticized by players for using it in the context of actual behavior -- in referring to a team with that word based on what he saw of their play on film. Seems like players don't like the usage of it in any context, and he (and everyone) is better off not using it in any context.

ADVERTISEMENT