ADVERTISEMENT

Tiger King and Ozark

When your protagonist is "suspected" in the disappearance of her first husband with speculation that she fed his body to a tiger....you're really reaching for a "good guy"!
She decries the supposed scumbags for exploiting the animals while doing exactly the same thing herself! Quite the accomplishment!
I’m laughing out loud. You really can’t make this stuff up!

Reactions: FreeportPanther
Yeah. I watched the whole thing yesterday morning. It was like a car accident, I couldn’t look away and watched the whole thing in one sit down. There was no animal abuse that I recall. But I feel abused personally. And I feel dirty now that I watched it. It’s unbelievable how members of our human race can be so different from us. It’s like they are a different species.
True story.

We took the girls to the local firehall carnival when they were younger. It wasn't real busy yet, but mom's spidy senses started tweaking out over the young man who was running one of the rides they got on. I did not get anything off of him, he wasn't too gross or perving the kids or anything, but she was still talking about him when we got home later.

Less than a month later story breaks about some wife in the community next to us who had some simple minded step out boyfriend shoot and kill her husband (no one special per se, but had a reputation as a good guy in his community) out in their barn.
Step out boyfriend - the dude from the firehall carnival.

The wife still does and I used to do direct services with families that are at risk of placement due to abuse, neglect or acting out.

We have a real culture of people like this, most don't end up killing people or putting out hits on people, but the rural areas to the fringes of the suburban areas from all across the country are full of people like this.

Baskin and the Doc are different types, but I worked with and know of a lot of people like the crew Joe had in his zoo.

I refuse to watch Tiger King because I’m tired of so many people talking about it, plus I don’t really care/would rather watch or do other things.

True story.

We took the girls to the local firehall carnival when they were younger. It wasn't real busy yet, but mom's spidy senses started tweaking out over the young man who was running one of the rides they got on. I did not get anything off of him, he wasn't too gross or perving the kids or anything, but she was still talking about him when we got home later.

Less than a month later story breaks about some wife in the community next to us who had some simple minded step out boyfriend shoot and kill her husband (no one special per se, but had a reputation as a good guy in his community) out in their barn.
Step out boyfriend - the dude from the firehall carnival.

The wife still does and I used to do direct services with families that are at risk of placement due to abuse, neglect or acting out.

We have a real culture of people like this, most don't end up killing people or putting out hits on people, but the rural areas to the fringes of the suburban areas from all across the country are full of people like this.

Baskin and the Doc are different types, but I worked with and know of a lot of people like the crew Joe had in his zoo.
It’s why Florida is always in the news. It’s full of these people. Nancy Grace made a career off the state of Florida. A large % of child abductions and freaky other stories originate there. Paul Zeise always tweets about it.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
Ah ... The GOT effect!
Funny. That’s the first thing I thought of too.
But GOT was so good.
Cue @Ski11585 to come in now and tell us how good it was until the show runners jumped the shark midway through the series and pulled further and further away from Martin.

When your protagonist is "suspected" in the disappearance of her first husband with speculation that she fed his body to a tiger....you're really reaching for a "good guy"!
She decries the supposed scumbags for exploiting the animals while doing exactly the same thing herself! Quite the accomplishment!
Actually it’s kind of like Game Of Thrones in that way. I mean one of the characters that people started liking as a protagonist was a guy who was having sex and procreating with his sister and paralyzing young boys by pushing then out a 4 story window.

Actually it’s kind of like Game Of Thrones in that way. I mean one of the characters that people started liking as a protagonist was a guy who was having sex and procreating with his sister and paralyzing young boys by pushing then out a 4 story window.
Perhaps it's time for a "thinning of the herd"?
The Lord works in mysterious ways!

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Keep fighting the powers that be. You show ‘em who’s the boss.
Yeah, I’m being that guy and knew I’d get this comment. I’m probably not like what you might envision me being given that comment though.

Anyway my gf is going to watch it at some point so I’ll peek up and who knows, maybe it’ll draw me in.

Yeah, I’m being that guy and knew I’d get this comment. I’m probably not like what you might envision me being given that comment though.
Anyway my gf is going to watch it at some point so I’ll peek up and who knows, maybe it’ll draw me in.
You'll be fine.
Just keep a barf bag within reach!

Funny. That’s the first thing I thought of too.
But GOT was so good.
Cue @Ski11585 to come in now and tell us how good it was until the show runners jumped the shark midway through the series and pulled further and further away from Martin.

No need. The showrunners themselves basically admitted they were hacks and frauds.

And I challenge anyone to honestly re-watch those last 2-3 seasons and tell me it was well written, quality television. Find me someone who can do that with a straight face and I'll tell you that you've found a great liar.

It doesn't even have anything to do with book content vs. adaptation. it's just a poorly written show by the end that does this for cool shock value and not for logical plot development or themes or anything that, you know, makes actual sense.

Here's a true story that was something similar and not so far away from Pittsburgh. Also shows this weird, bizarre culture and behavior and the dangers of it. Anyone remember this???

https://www.gq.com/story/terry-thompson-ohio-zoo-massacre-chris-heath-gq-february-2012

https://abcnews.go.com/US/zanesvill...luded-18-rare-bengal-tigers/story?id=14767017
Oh yeah, absolutely.
Dude released all his animals. People looking out their back door and see a lion or tiger or bear staring in at them.

Police on safari in the suburbs.

No need. The showrunners themselves basically admitted they were hacks and frauds.

And I challenge anyone to honestly re-watch those last 2-3 seasons and tell me it was well written, quality television. Find me someone who can do that with a straight face and I'll tell you that you've found a great liar.

It doesn't even have anything to do with book content vs. adaptation. it's just a poorly written show by the end that does this for cool shock value and not for logical plot development or themes or anything that, you know, makes actual sense.
I enjoyed season 6-7 a lot. And there was some story telling in seasons 1-5 that I didn’t enjoy. As far as season 8, I just thought it was cool seeing all these characters on screen together who had spent the previous 6-7 seasons in different arcs and/or worlds. That’s part of the thing for me with Marvel as well. You had 20+ movies spanning over 10 years of filmmaking and their characters all coming together on one screen at the end.

I have found myself very critical of films these days and I wish I wasn’t. Rarely do I watch something anymore and thoroughly enjoy it. It sucks for me. But for me, GOT overall was a good experience.

Reactions: Ski11585
I enjoyed season 6-7 a lot. And there was some story telling in seasons 1-5 that I didn’t enjoy. As far as season 8, I just thought it was cool seeing all these characters on screen together who had spent the previous 6-7 seasons in different arcs and/or worlds. That’s part of the thing for me with Marvel as well. You had 20+ movies spanning over 10 years of filmmaking and their characters all coming together on one screen at the end.

I have found myself very critical of films these days and I wish I wasn’t. Rarely do I watch something anymore and thoroughly enjoy it. It sucks for me. But for me, GOT overall was a good experience.

And that's great! As a fantasy and sci fi guy, I love seeing things like Marvel and GOT so popular. I just wish it hadn't taken so long for people to acknowledge that there were a lot of flaws in the writing for GOT. I felt like we went through a 2-3 season stretch where we HAD to praise it because it was "THE THING." Like... stop telling me Tyrion is the bestest and smartest character in the whole world when the writing suggests he's an incompetent moron.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
I never realized that T.I.G.E.R.S. place in Myrtle Beach was a shady cult-type place. I am sure some of you have been there. We haven't but have planned to at some point, at least before this series. We did pay to pet and get out pictures with Tiger cubs at their little Barefoot Landing substation. I didn't feel as bad about that then because they said that all proceeds from that station goes to their worldwide conservation efforts but now I am thinking, yea right.

It has made me think differently of all for-profit zoos. What about Living Treasures? Are those dudes nuts? How about The Wilds in Eastern Ohio? There's a little place called Critter Country near New Stanton. I guess you have to be a couple screws loose to devote your life to dangerous animals.

I never realized that T.I.G.E.R.S. place in Myrtle Beach was a shady cult-type place. I am sure some of you have been there. We haven't but have planned to at some point, at least before this series. We did pay to pet and get out pictures with Tiger cubs at their little Barefoot Landing substation. I didn't feel as bad about that then because they said that all proceeds from that station goes to their worldwide conservation efforts but now I am thinking, yea right.

It has made me think differently of all for-profit zoos. What about Living Treasures? Are those dudes nuts? How about The Wilds in Eastern Ohio? There's a little place called Critter Country near New Stanton. I guess you have to be a couple screws loose to devote your life to dangerous animals.
Gee Myrtle Beach? I wonder if they sell any DVD's there?

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Didn’t watch Tiger King. Find the subject totally repulsive.

Did watch Season 3 of Ozark. Ben was an interesting addition to the cast. Just when you think you can’t get any more whacked up than the existing characters, along comes Ben to raise (or lower) the bar.

What was Helen thinking? Was she not paying attention when Jason Bateman did his magic on the computer to get around the FBI’s red flag on the Cayman Islands bank account and free up the funds in literally 25 seconds?

Didn’t watch Tiger King. Find the subject totally repulsive.

Did watch Season 3 of Ozark. Ben was an interesting addition to the cast. Just when you think you can’t get any more whacked up than the existing characters, along comes Ben to raise (or lower) the bar.

What was Helen thinking? Was she not paying attention when Jason Bateman did his magic on the computer to get around the FBI’s red flag on the Cayman Islands bank account and free up the funds in literally 25 seconds?
Well, there’s 2 things for sure about Ozark season 3. One, it sure ended with a bang.

Two, there will be a season 4.

Reactions: mike412

It was clear that they didn't care what they were doing at that point. They were just mailing it in and waiting to GTF off the show so they could move on to doing the Star Wars movies. Ironically, the last season of GOT was so bad that Disney fired these guys from directing before they even got to begin. Karma.

The wildest thing about GOT was that the show was, by far, the biggest TV series in 10-15 years and then the final season was so terrible it was basically entirely forgotten. I'm not sure I've seen anything like that in popular culture before.

Reactions: Ski11585
The Keepers is good. I just got into it tonight. A nun from Pittsburgh was killed in 1969 in Baltimore. Some real crazy stuff went on, and a cover up within Catholic Church.

i know people who had family members affected by that. crazy stuff.

Honest question - want to watch Tiger King but is there any animal abuse/death shown? I have a real problem not being able to get rid of the images.

Thanks in advance.

yes there is, depending on your viewpoint. wifey won't watch b/c she considers animals in cages being trained to be circus monkeys abuse. it's not outright beatings. but the one guys beats on a tiger after it attacks his foot. stuff like that. cubs being passed around at parties for entertainment.

if you don't like nat'l geo type of videos, then you won't stomach TK.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT