ADVERTISEMENT

Time of Possesion

I will say this, and Duzz apparently sees it as well because he was dropping F-Bombs, but Bell has to get better with clock management and situational football as it pertains to shortening the game. I get it, he wants to go hurry up all the time but in some of these games you have to limit your opponents possessions. Ask Kevin Gilbride when Buddy punched him in face.

I will say this, and Duzz apparently sees it as well because he was dropping F-Bombs, but Bell has to get better with clock management and situational football as it pertains to shortening the game. I get it, he wants to go hurry up all the time but in some of these games you have to limit your opponents possessions. Ask Kevin Gilbride when Buddy punched him in face.
Especially since the offense was not playing that great last night. No need to go 3 and out after burning 1:30 minutes of clock. Syracuse does not have a very good defense on paper (64) and we struggled. Cal is the best defense we played (45). SMU is ranked as the 25th ranked defense. We have work to do.

Especially since the offense was not playing that great last night. No need to go 3 and out after burning 1:30 minutes of clock. Syracuse does not have a very good defense on paper (64) and we struggled. Cal is the best defense we played (45). SMU is ranked as the 25th ranked defense. We have work to do.
I didn't like running the up tempo in the 3rd quarter. We got a 1st down and still only used 2 minutes and punted it back to them. At that point you're really playing the clock and trying to get out of there with fewer plays/injuries.

It’s hard to get into any Rythm when you’re not on the field that much. I mean Eli was pretty efficient in going 10-15 for just over 200 yards and 2 TDs. They really didn’t need the offense to be great so I do think they offense was a bit more conservative (ie makiig sure they didn’t give cuse momentum through a turnover)

The only beef I think I’d have was they did rush the third down run a bit trying to catch the cuse off guard. Bostik mentioned that on the broadcast.

Reactions: 303vND
I didn't like running the up tempo in the 3rd quarter. We got a 1st down and still only used 2 minutes and punted it back to them. At that point you're really playing the clock and trying to get out of there with fewer plays/injuries.

I think they were just trying to get the offense going. Plus, Syracuse was doing a great job of running down the clock themselves.

It’s hard to get into any Rythm when you’re not on the field that much. I mean Eli was pretty efficient in going 10-15 for just over 200 yards and 2 TDs. They really didn’t need the offense to be great so I do think they offense was a bit more conservative (ie makiig sure they didn’t give cuse momentum through a turnover)

The only beef I think I’d have was they did rush the third down run a bit trying to catch the cuse off guard. Bostik mentioned that on the broadcast.
That's when Narduzzi went crazy on the sideline!

Agree 100 percent on that third down call. I actually commented about that in the game thread last night. The offense had gotten some rhythm going on that drive and rushed that third down for absolutely no reason.

I really think Bell just needs to trust his base scheme more, especially when looking at specific game situations.

Honestly, I am not really complaining. He has been a breath of fresh air and I love watching this style of play. I just hope isn’t doesn’t come back to bite us in the future.

H2P

Another thing that I thought was dumb, and this one was on Narduzzi, was calling a timeout at 2:13 in the first half.

They had two timeouts, and we were at best going to get it at the 20 (I think it ended up being the 16). So if you let it run down to two minutes before the punt, you can run it on 1st down and kind of control whether you want to go for points or milk some clock and go into the locker room with a 24-0 lead. But once you call that timeout there, you're giving them three stoppages (two minute warning + two timeouts). So they could get the ball back with plenty of time left and possibly cut it to 24-7 while getting the ball first in the 2nd half.

As it turned out, they did get the ball back with plenty of time; it's just that our best offense last night was when Syracuse had the ball, and they threw another pick six.

That's when Narduzzi went crazy on the sideline!
Yup. But he was asked a question about this at one of his pressers and he did say he didn’t necessarily have a problem with it because you have to stay true to who you are.

the PIck 6s and time of possession really kind ot screwed up any chance of our offense getting some rhythm going.

NOT THAT IM COMPLAINING

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT