ADVERTISEMENT

TJ D1 QB ruled ineligible???

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Wow, this seems nutty. The kid played at Seton LaSalle as a freshman and was offered a scholarship by Marshall. The family since moved into the TJ school district but despite the family actually moving, was ruled ineligible because they said the transfer was made with athletic intent. These are HIGH SCHOOL players. This kid is what, 15 maybe? We are allowing NCAA athletes to transfer at any time but a kid cant transfer from a Catholic school to a public school?

The only case the WPIAL has here is if the family just got an apartment in TJ but still really lives in Bethel Park. That said, the burden should be on the WPIAL to prove they aren't living in Bethel Park.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
It’ll be overturned once he appeals it to the PIAA. I don’t think there’s been a case that hasn’t been overturned.
That's what I was just about to say. This happens often -- WPIAL says they transferred for athletic intent, then on appeal to PIAA it is reversed.

Last edited:
Wow, this seems nutty. The kid played at Seton LaSalle as a freshman and was offered a scholarship by Marshall. The family since moved into the TJ school district but despite the family actually moving, was ruled ineligible because they said the transfer was made with athletic intent. These are HIGH SCHOOL players. This kid is what, 15 maybe? We are allowing NCAA athletes to transfer at any time but a kid cant transfer from a Catholic school to a public school?

The only case the WPIAL has here is if the family just got an apartment in TJ but still really lives in Bethel Park. That said, the burden should be on the WPIAL to prove they aren't living in Bethel Park.
It’s a bitch when rules people beg for get applied.
It’s a dumb rule anyway.

With as bad as HS football is in this once proud area, you would think they would want to promote better players/teams, not prohibit them from playing.

Reactions: Saboteur II
Hugely ironic that he is leaving one of the worst offenders for athletic recruiting, seton la salle, and now he’s ineligible. Kids transfers to seton every year for sports and are eligible.

i dont go as far with it as you guys and thinking we should have open transfers in high school BUT if you can prove you own or rent in a district, case closed. If you are willing to sign a 1 year lease in an apt in a district so your kid can play a sport in high school (it's freakin weird that a parent would go that far but so be it) then you've proven yourself crazy enough to get the exemption..

It's weird because a decade ago, we had a tight end who him and his dad got a rental in bethel to play at seton (from waynesburg) and he was ruled eligible. It's crazy how the wpial looks the other way with schools like central and seton but dont budge an inch if the player is going to a public school. Kind of Horsesh*t if you ask me.

Last edited:
It's weird because a decade ago, we had a tight end who him and his dad got a rental in bethel to play at seton (from waynesburg) and he was ruled eligible. It's crazy how the wpial looks the other way with schools like central and seton but dont budge an inch if the player is going to a public school. Kind of Horsesh*t if you ask me.
Heck, the kid could have stayed in Waynesburg and gone to Seton. It's not unheard of for athletes to make commutes like that (e. g., the kids from Delaware who go to St. Joseph's Prep). It's actually rather commonplace in places like California (Brice Young is one case that comes to mind).

i dont go as far with it as you guys and thinking we should have open transfers in high school BUT if you can prove you own or rent in a district, case closed. If you are willing to sign a 1 year lease in an apt in a district so your kid can play a sport in high school (it's freakin weird that a parent would go that far but so be it) then you've proven yourself crazy enough to get the exemption..

Yeah if the Wpial turned a blind eye at Central Q Martin and TaMere Robinson would both be there. Both would transfer but they’d be ruled ineligible for playoffs. The wpial doesn’t do anything as long as the transfer is before the sophmore year. Central has a ton of kids transfer out junior year because they know they’ll never see the field. Those kids are never ruled ineligible.

Heck, the kid could have stayed in Waynesburg and gone to Seton. It's not unheard of for athletes to make commutes like that (e. g., the kids from Delaware who go to St. Joseph's Prep). It's actually rather commonplace in places like California (Brice Young is one case that comes to mind).
It’s a miserable commute. I made that drive. Doing it every day to/from high school would be awful

GOOD! I'm already at the point that I like sticking it to "the kids".

ADVERTISEMENT