ADVERTISEMENT

To all my WVU friends who frequent this forum...

HailtoPitt

Board of Trustee
Jun 18, 2001
carlton-banks-fresh-prince-bel-air-trollface-troll-face.gif

There is some context that I am clearly missing as I have no idea what this is about. Care to fill me in?

If my theory of why this is happening is true (all a big bluff) or the two schools do jump, WVU will certainly be worse off regardless of the outcome.

Makes me want to ask the Dude if he still thinks the ACC will get pillaged by the Big12.

The Big Ten WILL offer ACC schools so we are going to have to get through that but you better believe there will be plenty of FSU/Clem or UVa/UNC or other ACC combo to B10 rumors
I'm sure everyone will jump at a chance to be put through the financial hell of what MD went through. Quality post.

I'm sure everyone will jump at a chance to be put through the financial hell of what MD went through. Quality post.
Maryland put themselves in financial hell as an acc member and needed big 10 to get out of it. They got a loan to get out of debt.

Getting out of the acc and into the big ten was their only option. Big ten paid out 54m to each school last year, acc paid out 30m.

Maryland put themselves in financial hell as an acc member and needed big 10 to get out of it. They got a loan to get out of debt.

Getting out of the acc and into the big ten was their only option. Big ten paid out 54m to each school last year, acc paid out 30m.
Did Maryland receive the full 54 million? I thought they were still on a partial payment plan for several year yet to come.

Pete Thamel mentioned in last night’s podcast that the Emmert/NCAA hoops contract and the ACC/ESPN deal are the two worst contracts in all of sports....not just college sports.

I wouldn’t be surprised if ACC puts full court press on UT and OU as well. This is not a welcome development for ACC members either. ND isn’t joining and the more powerful B1G will start staring at ACC.

Pete Thamel mentioned in last night’s podcast that the Emmert/NCAA hoops contract and the ACC/ESPN deal are the two worst contracts in all of sports....not just college sports.

I wouldn’t be surprised if ACC puts full court press on UT and OU as well. This is not a welcome development for ACC members either. ND isn’t joining and the more powerful B1G will start staring at ACC.
Whatever. The Big10 trying luring UVA and UNC the last go round. I'm sure that they will try again. But neither moves the needle like the TX and OU. Also, I'm not sold on ND not finally joining a conference. They may end up in the Big 10...who knows?

24 hours ago, Texas could never accept a situation where they aren't the alpha dog of a conference. Today, they are sitting in the sixth row on the SEC bus counting telephone poles staring out the side window. It seems that things do change literally overnight

What’s to stop the ACC from going after Ohio State and Michigan? If you snag these 2, then the ACC immediately leap frogs the Big 10. Let the top tier teams in the conference keep a little extra $ from the new massive contract. Then you tell ND to either get all in or get out.

Did Maryland receive the full 54 million? I thought they were still on a partial payment plan for several year yet to come.
I believe 20-21 was the first year of full payments for them and Rutgers.

EDIT: now i saw an article that rutgers isnt getting full share until 2027. i have no clue how accurate or outdated these articles are.. i know both needed loans from the big 10 and will probably be paying them back for awhile.

An original article said that both would be receiving full shares in the 20/21 academic year but as we all know, these deals can change..

Last edited:
Reactions: RaleighPittFan
I believe 20-21 was the first year of full payments for them and Rutgers.

EDIT: now i saw an article that rutgers isnt getting full share until 2027. i have no clue how accurate or outdated these articles are.. i know both needed loans from the big 10 and will probably be paying them back for awhile.

An original article said that both would be receiving full shares in the 20/21 academic year but as we all know, these deals can change..
MD lost several years of "full shares" for either conference. That's money they'll never get back. Yes, they'll do much better with a full share -- and they get their conference loans paid off -- but they paid a huge price for that.

You and The DUDE can discuss it on the hoopie board.

Bottom line: the hoopies better pray someone throws them a life preserver as a charity case. Because the issue is about what financial value a program can bring to a conference in terms of TV market share and financial value. And in your case? Little if anything. This has to be a RECIPROCALLY BENEFICIAL arrangement.

Reactions: Hardslider21

That first ACC deal was so so bad. Maybe the worst ever in TV sports history. Half the blame was Swofford's for not going to market on it and just believing the ESPN deal was fair and half was bad timing as rights deals exploded like a year or 2 later. Pitt is in the ACC because of that deal but the problem is that deal is the basis for all deals since. A couple million more per for adding Pitt and Syr. Another $1 million or so for adding ND hoops and a few ND road games. Another couple million more for the ACCN. On the open market, the ACC is worth substantially more than the B12 and P12 and really not THAT much less than the Big Ten but they're getting slaughtered because of timing

You and The DUDE can discuss it on the hoopie board.

Bottom line: the hoopies better pray someone throws them a life preserver as a charity case. Because the issue is about what financial value a program can bring to a conference in terms of TV market share and financial value. And in your case? Little if anything. This has to be a RECIPROCALLY BENEFICIAL arrangement.
No need to get contentious with me. Perhaps you should direct your beef to Pete Thamel.

The ACC's problem?? Too many schools like Wake, Duke, BC, and yes, Miami and Pitt. The B1G has Northwestern, the SEC Vandy, but that is only of 14. The ACC has 5 of 14. Sure, three of them are in bigger markets, but they really aren't college markets.

Reactions: WVUinColumbus
The ACC's problem?? Too many schools like Wake, Duke, BC, and yes, Miami and Pitt. The B1G has Northwestern, the SEC Vandy, but that is only of 14. The ACC has 5 of 14. Sure, three of them are in bigger markets, but they really aren't college markets.
Duke brings an elite brand with their basketball program. BC, Miami, and Pitt bring large metro markets. The same could be said for NW and Vandy. WF is the 1 team that offers nothing of value.

Last edited:
Duke brings an elite brand with their basketball program. BC, Miami, and Pitt bring large metro markets. The same could be said for NW and Vandy. WF offers nothing of value.
That is literally the point Recruits was making. 5 teams in the ACC vs 1 team each in the SEC and B10.

That is literally the point Recruits was making. 5 teams in the ACC vs 1 team each in the SEC and B10.
The ACC (and all current members) will be fine. Take a look at a demographic map. More population currently (and still growing) in the ACC footprint than any other conference in college sports. That will pay big dividends over time.

I would also include Syracuse in that list as well due to dependence on NYC market.

WF is the only team mentioned in the thread that offers nothing to their conference.

I will agree they bring the absolute least, but really what does Vandy or Northwestern bring the SEC/B10 other than a high GPA? Yes they sit in big TV markets but do they actually BRING them? Vandy shares their market with Tennessee. Northwestern shares theirs with Notre Dame and Illinois. Are they really that much more valuable to their conferences than Wake? Only in tradition and that is why Wake is in the ACC.

Honestly, Pitt is lucky that these Conference & TV executives thought we brought the Pgh market, because we share this market with 3 other teams. Penn St/WVU/Notre Dame and you can even make a case that we share it with Ohio State.

Reactions: singregardless
No need to get contentious with me. Perhaps you should direct your beef to Pete Thamel.

This is the jabroni who was on here a couple years ago bragging about his PT business in Columbus. Guess what clown? Lots of hoopies will need some sort of PT from the whiplash this is going to cause them. Maybe you can offer a special discount!

You need to toss the Cuse & GT into that group....and maybe UVA.

I will agree they bring the absolute least, but really what does Vandy or Northwestern bring the SEC/B10 other than a high GPA? Yes they sit in big TV markets but do they actually BRING them? Vandy shares their market with Tennessee. Northwestern shares theirs with Notre Dame and Illinois. Are they really that much more valuable to their conferences than Wake? Only in tradition and that is why Wake is in the ACC.

Honestly, Pitt is lucky that these Conference & TV executives thought we brought the Pgh market, because we share this market with 3 other teams. Penn St/WVU/Notre Dame and you can even make a case that we share it with Ohio State.
Really? LOL! Northwestern won the B1G West FB division 2 out of the last 3 seasons. Speaks VOLUMES about the caliber and competence of competition in the B1G, doesn't it?

It's no longer about TV market share. While it helps, this time around it's about streaming viewership. In that way, it's big names and big time programs playing big time games. You can be in a small market and be an outlier geographically, but if you are a consistent program and generate buzz on a national level, you'll have a place. Networks and online streamers want marquee match-ups each week. To do this you need marquee teams and interesting personalities. We're seeing the formation of a new NCAA semi-pro football league and it's all about eyeballs. Narduzzi needs to go full WWE heel for the press. Heather needs to be his Vince McMahon. Pitt needs to milk every last bit of nostalgia it has via uniforms, alums, media, etc. Now is the time to create bulletin board material. If there was ever a time for Pitt to go all-in, now is it as CFB has returned to the Wild West and we are fighting for survival. We need to embrace the "Super Weapon" moniker and take out Clemson and UNC this year and then continue to back it up. We need to schedule hard out of conference games against the SEC and B1G and find ways to win. This is ultimately becoming pure entertainment, not amateur collegiate athletics and the sooner we get buy-in on that mindset, the better chances we'll have to not be relegated when this all sorts itself out.

Reactions: WVUinColumbus
Not saying teams will leave the ACC for the B10 but they will a million percent be offered
Yeah. So what? We heard how the Big12 was coming to purge the ACC for years. You'd have to assume that they tried when they were looking to expand a few years ago. Bigger payouts and nobody flinched. There's a lot more to this than just football money.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT