ADVERTISEMENT

To all my WVU friends who frequent this forum...

I don’t think the ACC acts unless it gets poached too. WVU doesn’t add enough, alone, to make it worthwhile.
In your defense, it is not so much about cable programming (aka "eyeballs")....but streaming opportunities. WVU has an engaged fanbase in all sports, moreso than many ACC schools including yours truly. So I am making a case for you.....

Reactions: WVUinColumbus
In your defense, it is not so much about cable programming (aka "eyeballs")....but streaming opportunities. WVU has an engaged fanbase in all sports, moreso than many ACC schools including yours truly. So I am making a case for you.....

I unfortunately agree. These TV guys know viewing is moving more to a (for lack of a better way of saying) "pay per view model" . I think WVU has more people willing to pay for a game/package of games than Pitt does. I think they have it more then a lot of teams in the ACC. Pitt benefited by the old method of "what market are you in despite that you don't own the market".

This is not the NFL where the Steelers have the Pittsburgh market, The Jaguars have the Jacksonville market, Chiefs have KC etc. Colleges in big cities are a mixed bag. Go to DC there are so many transplants it is impossible to venture what college owns that market. Boston is a mixture of BC and ND with a whole lot of not caring about college sports at all. Here in Pittsburgh 4 teams own a slice of this market despite what some Pitt fans want to believe and again a whole lot of not caring about college sports. This stuff is so obvious I can't believe people are arguing it.

I unfortunately agree. These TV guys know viewing is moving more to a (for lack of a better way of saying) "pay per view model" . I think WVU has more people willing to pay for a game/package of games than Pitt does. I think they have it more then a lot of teams in the ACC. Pitt benefited by the old method of "what market are you in despite that you don't own the market".

This is not the NFL where the Steelers have the Pittsburgh market, The Jaguars have the Jacksonville market, Chiefs have KC etc. Colleges in big cities are a mixed bag. Go to DC there are so many transplants it is impossible to venture what college owns that market. Boston is a mixture of BC and ND with a whole lot of not caring about college sports at all. Here in Pittsburgh 4 teams own a slice of this market despite what some Pitt fans want to believe and again a whole lot of not caring about college sports. This stuff is so obvious I can't believe people are arguing it.
I mean, I work from home the past couple of day, have the radio on, the Fan here in Pittsburgh, 24/7 sports talk radio.....and this is going down...it is huge sports news and....well little attention has been paid to it. Steelers, Pens schedule and expansion draft, Steelers camp, Pirates draft and trade deadline. College sports just doesn't move the needle here. Nor most major pro cities.

Reactions: Mikefln
One thing, and would like to get WVUinColumbus's take on this, the Big Ten no longer has Jim Delany driving the bus. We think these things drive themselves, but we saw the incompetency of Larry Scott in the Pac 12, now look at them. Bob Bowlsby was hailed as a visionary, but his conference is about to become Gabriels Discount store. John Swofford made the initial big baller move in all of this, and well we saw first hand how behind the ACC was with broadcasting rights.

So it is no slam dunk that the Big 10 under the new guy (forget his name) will act like it did under Jim Delany.

Reactions: TIGER-PAUL
One thing, and would like to get WVUinColumbus's take on this, the Big Ten no longer has Jim Delany driving the bus. We think these things drive themselves, but we saw the incompetency of Larry Scott in the Pac 12, now look at them. Bob Bowlsby was hailed as a visionary, but his conference is about to become Gabriels Discount store. John Swofford made the initial big baller move in all of this, and well we saw first hand how behind the ACC was with broadcasting rights.

So it is no slam dunk that the Big 10 under the new guy (forget his name) will act like it did under Jim Delany.
You’re exactly right. No guarantee that Warren is as capable as Delaney. I do think Gene Smith will be the guy to lead the way.....if he’s not trying to get TOSU in SEC, which is highly doubtful but not completely out of question.

The reason I make that very last comment is because I really think conference format is on very borrowed time. Like just a few years. I’m most certainly in the minority.

Just too many changes (NIL, pandemic deficits, etc) that make too much sense from a massive brand/school perspective.

I mean, I work from home the past couple of day, have the radio on, the Fan here in Pittsburgh, 24/7 sports talk radio.....and this is going down...it is huge sports news and....well little attention has been paid to it. Steelers, Pens schedule and expansion draft, Steelers camp, Pirates draft and trade deadline. College sports just doesn't move the needle here. Nor most major pro cities.

As a person who from 2012 to 2016 worked almost everyday in Columbus/Dayton/Cincy/Northern KY, it is the opposite. 70% of sports radio in all those towns was Ohio State 30% pro.

Actually, the TV people are probably cutting costs because they shot their wad on the NFL. You'd have to think that's what is making this happen. The PAC12 is in danger of getting a terrible TV deal, too.

Reactions: Mikefln
If people think this is just about OU/Texas to the SEC you may be sadly mistaken. The SEC won't stop there, all the power schools are going to be fair game
Great. They can all join together and create a new super elite set of four or five teams that rise above the other SEC teams. Then all the other conferences can refuse to play them. And Texas can remain a 7-6 team in perpetuity.

And then college football can return to student athletes at the schools who can now again value academics over athletics.

guys, honestly if your rubbing it in to the wvu people , that is weak .

That makes Pitt fans look dumb.
because WVU is a good university.

Last edited:
guys, honestly if your rubbing it in to the wvu people , that is weak .

That makes Pitt fans look dumb.
because WVU is a good university.
Just stop with that WVU nonsense! Do you want to see weak?
1428680956-screen-shot-2015-04-10-at-114855-am.png

ap_c01_flag_22_burning_morgantown_1842789.jpg

800.jpg

As a person who from 2012 to 2016 worked almost everyday in Columbus/Dayton/Cincy/Northern KY, it is the opposite. 70% of sports radio in all those towns was Ohio State 30% pro.
Exactly. I lived in Morgantown...it was maybe 80-20 college. Also in South Carolina (Greenville) it was the same way.

Here is one giant issue ....I work all over WV, including counties like Wyoming, Mercer , McDowell, many of them don't even have capable internet yet, thats why the state is losing population, so it won't be happening. Half the state doesn't have appropriate internet structure in 2021!

I said this guy was trouble. Ban his ass.

But before that happens, I want him to know that it's OVER for WVU football (and basketball). They are NOT getting into one of the big conferences remaining. The music has stopped and the WVU mascot is standing there with the musket stuck up his ass.
WVU fan here and just curious what you guys think considering some want or think WVU's demise is imminent. But what is wrong with a conf that consists of WVU, Okla St., TCU, Baylor, TT, the Kansas schools and Iowa St. Plus, adding just two run of the mill schools to replace two bluebloods isn't enough, they would have to go to 12 IMO so Hou and CIncy to me, are the obvious to get back to ten. My point is that is a darn good conf. No bluebloods of course but still formidable and still a top notch basketball conf. UT and OU weren't world beaters on the hard wood.

Obviously, if the Big 10 and ACC don't sit still then everything changes but if the ACC expands, who else they gonna invite other than WVU? They took Louisville and their academics are rated worse than ours. Also, it's been said that the ACC did reach out to WVU (before Louisville) but it was too late as we had already accepted the Big 12 invite.

WVU fan here and just curious what you guys think considering some want or think WVU's demise is imminent. But what is wrong with a conf that consists of WVU, Okla St., TCU, Baylor, TT, the Kansas schools and Iowa St. Plus, adding just two run of the mill schools to replace two bluebloods isn't enough, they would have to go to 12 IMO so Hou and CIncy to me, are the obvious to get back to ten. My point is that is a darn good conf. No bluebloods of course but still formidable and still a top notch basketball conf. UT and OU weren't world beaters on the hard wood.

Obviously, if the Big 10 and ACC don't sit still then everything changes but if the ACC expands, who else they gonna invite other than WVU? They took Louisville and their academics are rated worse than ours. Also, it's been said that the ACC did reach out to WVU (before Louisville) but it was too late as we had already accepted the Big 12 invite.
You are right that the ACC took LV with their bad academics but it did pick up KY which is much larger than WV. I think WVU will have to take whatever is given at this point. I would only take WVU into the ACC if they accepted a partial payment for 5-8 yrs.

But what is wrong with a conf that consists of WVU, Okla St., TCU, Baylor, TT, the Kansas schools and Iowa St.

There isn't anything "wrong" with it, it's just a conference that very few people will care about. And it's media rights contracts will reflect that.

That conference would not get much tv revenue, because it would be much less appealing to viewers.

They'll survive with Cincy, Houston but their revenues will be gutted. Totally sucks for schools like WVU, Pitt. Basically powerless in all this. Ruining for me what made cfb unique.

It’s simply too early to project where WVU (or Pitt or any school) could end up. By no means, would I be comfortable getting into ACC right now. You gotta think 2-3 steps forward not at the most recent news. Unless you think the OU/UT move is the only move that will happen.

Good luck with that if you think so.

The tough news is that WVU and Pitt will most likely not benefit from the new structure of college football that will arrive much sooner than many initially thought. Even if they “make the cut” for whatever league is formed (that breaks away from NCAA), it’ll certainly be unequal revenue sharing and lots of losses.

If I’m a Pitt fan, I’m praying that things stay as close to status quo as possible.

It’s simply too early to project where WVU (or Pitt or any school) could end up. By no means, would I be comfortable getting into ACC right now. You gotta think 2-3 steps forward not at the most recent news. Unless you think the OU/UT move is the only move that will happen.

Good luck with that if you think so.

The tough news is that WVU and Pitt will most likely not benefit from the new structure of college football that will arrive much sooner than many initially thought. Even if they “make the cut” for whatever league is formed (that breaks away from NCAA), it’ll certainly be unequal revenue sharing and lots of losses.

If I’m a Pitt fan, I’m praying that things stay as close to status quo as possible.
I can't speak for WVU, but if Pitt is proactive in all this, I think the age of NIL can really play in their favor, regardless of conference.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I can't speak for WVU, but if Pitt is proactive in all this, I think the age of NIL can really play in their favor, regardless of conference.
I’d really be curious to hear your thoughts on why you feel that way because I literally think the opposite. NIL is going to hurt schools like WVU and Pitt immensely. The big boys who have more resources will pull even farther away. NIL is a major reason why the college football inequality will continue to grow.....along with unbalanced TV deals.

With the significant pay difference the SEC is about to create, they’ll be able to have so many more resources to assist recruits with NIL opportunities. It will be a partnership to get kids to the SEC.

I’d really be curious to hear your thoughts on why you feel that way because I literally think the opposite. NIL is going to hurt schools like WVU and Pitt immensely. The big boys who have more resources will pull even farther away. NIL is a major reason why the college football inequality will continue to grow.....along with unbalanced TV deals.

With the significant pay difference the SEC is about to create, they’ll be able to have so many more resources to assist recruits with NIL opportunities. It will be a partnership to get kids to the SEC.
There are a shit-ton of resources and opportunities in a city like Pittsburgh. The success depends on the Pitt boosters and local businesses to make that happen, but there are just a ton of opportunities. Not to mention you basically get to rub shoulders and jump in the same market as professional athletes now.

Seriously, I think a kid like Yogi Roth could have made a really good chunk of change in his college days at Pitt with the NIL.

ADVERTISEMENT