ADVERTISEMENT

To all my WVU friends who frequent this forum...

It's no longer about TV market share. While it helps, this time around it's about streaming viewership. In that way, it's big names and big time programs playing big time games. You can be in a small market and be an outlier geographically, but if you are a consistent program and generate buzz on a national level, you'll have a place. Networks and online streamers want marquee match-ups each week. To do this you need marquee teams and interesting personalities. We're seeing the formation of a new NCAA semi-pro football league and it's all about eyeballs. Narduzzi needs to go full WWE heel for the press. Heather needs to be his Vince McMahon. Pitt needs to milk every last bit of nostalgia it has via uniforms, alums, media, etc. Now is the time to create bulletin board material. If there was ever a time for Pitt to go all-in, now is it as CFB has returned to the Wild West and we are fighting for survival. We need to embrace the "Super Weapon" moniker and take out Clemson and UNC this year and then continue to back it up. We need to schedule hard out of conference games against the SEC and B1G and find ways to win. This is ultimately becoming pure entertainment, not amateur collegiate athletics and the sooner we get buy-in on that mindset, the better chances we'll have to not be relegated when this all sorts itself out.
Pitt fans were streaming to see games long before it was "the next new thing". Call me crazy but it's going to be a while before the balance tips that way.

Duke brings an elite brand with their basketball program. BC, Miami, and Pitt bring large metro markets. The same could be said for NW and Vandy. WF is the 1 team that offers nothing of value.
Yeah but football drives the boat...and Boston and Pittsburgh are not really college markets (like NYC and Philly aren't) and Miami probably shares. I am talking when the big boys decide to go all in with the chips at the table, I am not sure these schools have the chips.

It's no longer about TV market share. While it helps, this time around it's about streaming viewership. In that way, it's big names and big time programs playing big time games. You can be in a small market and be an outlier geographically, but if you are a consistent program and generate buzz on a national level, you'll have a place. Networks and online streamers want marquee match-ups each week. To do this you need marquee teams and interesting personalities. We're seeing the formation of a new NCAA semi-pro football league and it's all about eyeballs. Narduzzi needs to go full WWE heel for the press. Heather needs to be his Vince McMahon. Pitt needs to milk every last bit of nostalgia it has via uniforms, alums, media, etc. Now is the time to create bulletin board material. If there was ever a time for Pitt to go all-in, now is it as CFB has returned to the Wild West and we are fighting for survival. We need to embrace the "Super Weapon" moniker and take out Clemson and UNC this year and then continue to back it up. We need to schedule hard out of conference games against the SEC and B1G and find ways to win. This is ultimately becoming pure entertainment, not amateur collegiate athletics and the sooner we get buy-in on that mindset, the better chances we'll have to not be relegated when this all sorts itself out.
Again, we look at "population" in analysis, but let's be real. There are more WVU fans than there are Pitt fans. So when streaming becomes the thing....viewers, potential hits. the 35K die hard Pitt fans and the 200K die hard WVU fans who do you think gets the nod?

The Big Ten WILL offer ACC schools so we are going to have to get through that but you better believe there will be plenty of FSU/Clem or UVa/UNC or other ACC combo to B10 rumors
When you factor in how strong the Pitt Mens Soccer and Womens Volleyball teams are.. there is nothing to worry about.

Reactions: Phillypanther2
This is the jabroni who was on here a couple years ago bragging about his PT business in Columbus. Guess what clown? Lots of hoopies will need some sort of PT from the whiplash this is going to cause them. Maybe you can offer a special discount!
He's also the idiot who called me a liar when I said that I went to a UVA football game in the 80s, because he didn't know anything about UVA's band.

Idiot is about the nicest thing I can call him.

Well, it’s certainly obvious there are several hoopie fans on this site. ;) They would really be best served just coming “out of the closet” and admitting it instead of trying to be “clever” and continuing to make fools of themselves.

But if the hoopies are so in demand as compared to Pitt and Syracuse, why didn’t the ACC invite them in 2013? 🤷‍♂ The hoopies would’ve given their left nut (or maybe the left and right?) to have been invited in 2013 (or anytime since for that matter). So one of the hoopie advocates needs to explain that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gary77
Well, it’s certainly obvious there are several hoopie fans on this site. ;) They would really be best served just coming “out of the closet” and admitting it instead of trying to be “clever” and continuing to make fools of themselves.

But if the hoopies are so in demand as compared to Pitt and Syracuse, why didn’t the ACC invite them in 2013? 🤷‍♂ The hoopies would’ve given their left nut (or maybe the left and right?) to have been invited in 2013 (or anytime since for that matter). So one of the hoopie advocates needs to explain that.
I don’t need to explain it to you. Any rational and knowledgeable fan of any team understands the differences in realignment targets a decade ago versus now. It’s literally listed in this thread about 5-10 posts above this.

I don’t think you’re seeking information in your posts. You’re seeking affirmation.

I wouldn't be gloating. Pitt could be in this same position down the line one day.
I wonder what would be more attractive to megaconferences:

New Volleyball arena and indoor track + half-empty no atmosphere HF

Or

A new 45K seat SMF Stadium plus keeping those programs in the FH

Again, we look at "population" in analysis, but let's be real. There are more WVU fans than there are Pitt fans. So when streaming becomes the thing....viewers, potential hits. the 35K die hard Pitt fans and the 200K die hard WVU fans who do you think gets the nod?
That isnt true. WVU has more diehard fans, sure, but they have almost 0 "casual fans." If you're WVU, you're all in. You watch all the games, go to road games, bowl games, wear WVU gear everyday, etc.

I have no idea on numbers here but if WVU has 200K diehard fans and 50K casual fans, Pitt might have 100K diehard fans but 300K-500K casual fans simply due to the population and alumni differences. The conferences and networks know this and aren't stupid. Pitt's problem is they have been mediocre in both sports for so long that they cant "monetize" their casual fanbase. I have seen Pitt basketball play at MSG and DC and Pitt fans took those arenas over. That's what happens when you're good.

Really? LOL! Northwestern won the B1G West FB division 2 out of the last 3 seasons. Speaks VOLUMES about the caliber and competence of competition in the B1G, doesn't it?
I think. what it speaks volumes is that it's no longer 1970s and 1980s Northwestern.

What’s to stop the ACC from going after Ohio State and Michigan? If you snag these 2, then the ACC immediately leap frogs the Big 10. Let the top tier teams in the conference keep a little extra $ from the new massive contract. Then you tell ND to either get all in or get out.
And maybe after the ACC adds Ohio State, Michigan, and Notre Dame, we can go after Alabama and LSU. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: bdur76
200K die hard WVU fans? Where have they been hiding?

That isnt true. WVU has more diehard fans, sure, but they have almost 0 "casual fans." If you're WVU, you're all in. You watch all the games, go to road games, bowl games, wear WVU gear everyday, etc.

I have no idea on numbers here but if WVU has 200K diehard fans and 50K casual fans, Pitt might have 100K diehard fans but 300K-500K casual fans simply due to the population and alumni differences. The conferences and networks know this and aren't stupid. Pitt's problem is they have been mediocre in both sports for so long that they cant "monetize" their casual fanbase. I have seen Pitt basketball play at MSG and DC and Pitt fans took those arenas over. That's what happens when you're good.

Pitt doesn't have 100k diehards. Attendance shows that. 50k is more accurate. As far as casual fans, that is hard to gauge the actual number, but yes I will give Pitt the edge here.

The questions becomes at what number does having more casual fans overtakes another schools die hards. I doubt anyone on this board could answer that.

With 200K die hard fans, they should have been a shoo-in.

Perhaps I’m mistaken, but are you stating that WVU has 250k fans total? And that Pitt has upwards of 600k?

Truly. I’m not being snarky. I don’t understand your post.

A simple google search shows WV has a population of 1.7 million people. I would wager 200K sounds right for them.
Which is approximately the same population as the Pittsburgh metropolitan area, so how would that break down to just 35K die hard fans for Pitt?

Which is approximately the same population as the Pittsburgh metropolitan area, so how would that break down to just 35K die hard fans for Pitt?
A) attendance tells us what our die hard number is. B) WV has the whole state of WV minus a small pocket for Marshall. Pitt splits their population with PSU/ND/WV and even Ohio State. Plus the Steelers. Have you not paid attention the last 30 years?

A simple google search shows WV has a population of 1.7 million people. I would wager 200K sounds right for them.
Allegheny County has almost as many people as the state of West Virginia. But how many people are Pitt fans? Even casual fans? I am an avid Pitt fan. But no one in my family is even a casual fan. We have family and friends who are season ticket holders and avid Steelers fans, who have never stepped inside of Heinz to watch a Pitt game. I mean don't feel bad they aren't Penn State fans or any college football fans.

I have friends, Pitt grads, who are 10 times Steelers fans than they are Pitt. Pitt grads. Because in their lifetimes, they saw the Steelers be great, many times and Pitt be essentially a .500 program for 40 years. So.....it is not just endemic to Pitt, but you grow up in a big pro town, and make no mistake Pittsburgh is about as pro centric as any......college sports is just a rung above high school, and in some cases not even that high.

Smaller and private institutions within P5 leagues. Am I missing any?

Stanford
Southern Cal
Baylor
TCU
Northwestern
Vanderbilt
Boston College
Syracuse
Pitt
Duke
Wake Forest
Miami

+ Notre Dame

Reactions: HailToPitt725
If the mountainqueers were so great why didn't the ACC, big or the SEC go after them and all
their fans.
I guess the ACC big and the SEC were the stupid ones. Thankfully ollie luck sold a
bill of goods to the big 12 to take the mountainqueers in.

So this is real now. It is really happening. Oklahoma and Texas both skipped out on the Big 12 Conf call. So this is happening and likely as soon as next year.

This is from the number 1 voice of college football. And thankfully, not an ESPN talking head line Paul Thornbaum.
I wonder who they’re going to go after. Cincinnati, Memphis, and/or UCF seem like the obvious choices. Maybe they look west and look at BYU, Boise State, or someone else. Also, I wonder if the remaining Texas schools would block Houston or SMU?

To my WV friends and family, I hope you land in a great spot and I hope it’s the ACC.
Screw the ACC. Have no interest in those Tobacco Road schools and Virginia. Hope it ends up being some conglomerate (not a conference) of schools that includes Pitt, VPI and WVU. Again, I’m only talking football (not all sports).

Edit: NCSU is NOT a Tobacco Road school to me. They have some of the absolute best fans and they had a blast in Morgantown a couple of years ago. We need to schedule them in Raleigh since they got screwed due to the hurricane....kinda like Pitt got screwed in hoops by not hosting us for 2nd game (Covid).

The Big Ten WILL offer ACC schools so we are going to have to get through that but you better believe there will be plenty of FSU/Clem or UVa/UNC or other ACC combo to B10 rumors
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😂 "we"

#TBTHoopie

"Hey, let's invite this school to join the ACC!"

GTFOH

Are you posting drunk? This statement would make sense if so.
The big 10 gave Maryland a very front loaded deal when they joined. This isn’t an opinion. Maryland was deep in debt, had to get out of acc so they joined big 10 and were given a front loaded deal.

Link below. I’d expect an apology but joeyCovid, you are a clown so I’m sure you’ll change the subject or backtrack.

The University of Maryland received a revenue share of $26.1 million from the Big Ten in the 2018 fiscal year, far lower than its peers in the conference. However, UMD received a loan of about $31 million from the Big Ten, which, when combined with the revenue share, makes it the highest-grossing school in the conference

Last edited:
The big 10 gave Maryland a very front loaded deal when they joined. This isn’t an opinion. Maryland was deep in debt, had to get out of acc so they joined big 10 and were given a front loaded deal.

Link below. I’d expect an apology but joeyCovid, you are a clown so I’m sure you’ll change the subject or backtrack.

The University of Maryland received a revenue share of $26.1 million from the Big Ten in the 2018 fiscal year, far lower than its peers in the conference. However, UMD received a loan of about $31 million from the Big Ten, which, when combined with the revenue share, makes it the highest-grossing school in the conference

How does one get a loan to get out of debt? 😆

Reactions: TempleBAPittMPA
Pitt doesn't have 100k diehards. Attendance shows that. 50k is more accurate. As far as casual fans, that is hard to gauge the actual number, but yes I will give Pitt the edge here.

The questions becomes at what number does having more casual fans overtakes another schools die hards. I doubt anyone on this board could answer that.
The 2nd paragraph is why schools like Pitt, BC, and Rutgers get invited to conferences over WVU. Those types of schools dont have the diehards of a WVU, heck maybe not even an East Carolina but they are in such populated areas that when they are on TV, the thought is more people will tune in. These casual fans may not really care much who wins but its noon on a Saturday and they arent doing anything else so they'll flip on the game.

As for the number of diehard fans Pitt or WVU have, I dont know. 100K is probably too many.

How does one get a loan to get out of debt? 😆
I love making you look dumb. Here is yet another link and summary. Please keep this going, I can bust you up all night.

Maryland president Wallace Loh has formed a commission to try to find areas where Maryland's athletics budget issues can be fixed. The department is $83 million in debt, according to a report.

Big 10 is not standing pat if Texas and Oklahoma joins the SEC. They'll add a couple (Colorado and Virginia) makes the most sense. ACC will add a couple of schools and I wouldn't be shocked if the schools are WVU and Cincy. So before you start mocking WVU fans there's a good chance we'll be conference mates very soon.

Screw the ACC. Have no interest in those Tobacco Road schools and Virginia. Hope it ends up being some conglomerate (not a conference) of schools that includes Pitt, VPI and WVU. Again, I’m only talking football (not all sports).

Edit: NCSU is NOT a Tobacco Road school to me. They have some of the absolute best fans and they had a blast in Morgantown a couple of years ago. We need to schedule them in Raleigh since they got screwed due to the hurricane....kinda like Pitt got screwed in hoops by not hosting us for 2nd game (Covid).
Correct: NC State is the "ag" school that UNC and Duke thumb their noses at. This video by the legend Hayes Parmar sums it up (well the end of it). Its more of an SEC-ish fanbase

Reactions: WVUinColumbus
ADVERTISEMENT