ADVERTISEMENT

Tomlin should sit Kenny

ShipofFools

Freshman
Feb 25, 2021
There is nothing to gain and everything to lose if KP plays this Sunday. I would shut him down the rest of the season if I could. The Steelers should be able to beat the Raiders with Trubisky. The turf will be frozen and one more bounce off the turf of Kenny's noggin so soon and it could put his career at risk. He has started 9 games his rookie year. We saw growth in his progress as an NFL QB. He needs an off season to heal and prepare to be the Steelers QB for the future.

If he does play, I will hope to hell he stays upright and slides if he decides to head downfield.

You can't accurately evaluate a rookie with two concussions and no first team snaps during the off-season or training camp.

But as Tomlin isn't a theoretical mathematician, he'll start the guy for no good reason.

Reactions: ShipofFools
There is nothing to gain and everything to lose if KP plays this Sunday. I would shut him down the rest of the season if I could. The Steelers should be able to beat the Raiders with Trubisky. The turf will be frozen and one more bounce off the turf of Kenny's noggin so soon and it could put his career at risk. He has started 9 games his rookie year. We saw growth in his progress as an NFL QB. He needs an off season to heal and prepare to be the Steelers QB for the future.

If he does play, I will hope to hell he stays upright and slides if he decides to head downfield.
Couldn't disagree more.

These next 3 games are essentially part of the 2023 pre-season. Kenny needs the reps to hit the ground running next season.

Pickett needs to play every game in which he is healthy and cleared to play.

Sitting him out would be a lost opportunity for him to get live reps and get better at reading pro defenses.

Two concussions in like six weeks feels like a lot. I certainly wouldn't play him. Not like we're a playoff team that needs him out there.
Turns out the first "concussion" wasn't one at all. That's why he was already out of protocol on the Tuesday after the game. They took a precaution during the game, but if it was really a concussion - there would be no way he was able to participate in a full practice all week.

And his second one was mild.

Not all concussions are the same.

If the UPMC doctors have cleared him, then he is healthy enough to go.

He needs as many live reps as possible to be able to hit the ground running next season. It makes absolutely ZERO difference if the Steelers were a playoff team or not. These next 3 games are basically the first 3 pre-season games of 2023, as far as the QB position is concerned.

Turns out the first "concussion" wasn't one at all. That's why he was already out of protocol on the Tuesday after the game. They took a precaution during the game, but if it was really a concussion - there would be no way he was able to participate in a full practice all week.

He needs as many live reps as possible to be able to hit the ground running next season. It makes absolutely ZERO difference if the Steelers were a playoff team or not. These next 3 games are basically the first 3 pre-season games of 2023, as far as the QB position is concerned.
Good points.

I’d like to see how his small hands handle the frigid weather. 🫤

• Haha
Reactions: Pitt79

Just not a PR risk I'd be willing to take. Playing one more game or not isn't going to affect him that much in 2023. It's just not. Gonna be a bad look if Crosby and/or Jones bounces his head off the rockhard ground.

Couldn't disagree more.

These next 3 games are essentially part of the 2023 pre-season. Kenny needs the reps to hit the ground running next season.

Sitting him out would be a lost opportunity for him to get live reps and get better at reading pro defenses.
I agree with what you are saying in terms of his pro development. He will not become Joe Montana by playing the last 3 games of the season. His development is not being condensed in a few games.

My concern is with the risk of further injury in games that will not mean anything other than draft position. I hope I am wrong, but I guarantee that if he suffers another head shot the rest of the year, many will question the wisdom of playing him in meaningless end of season games that risk further possible damaging injury.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan1911
If they win the next 3, they have a semi-realistic playoff shot
To do what? Have a semi-realistic chance at a Super Bowl title. What do the playoffs mean in reality unless you are the last man standing? They wouldn't have a home playoff game. I guess beating a few more below .500 teams will gear them up for a playoff run. Plus they couldn't beat the Ravens once without Jackson. What if he returns for the sequel?

Reactions: Chaos and Dan1911
I also believe he shouldn’t play. But I’ve not agreed with basically any of how they’ve handled the QB situation this season. Obviously they think otherwise so we’ll just see how it goes.

If they win the next 3, they have a semi-realistic playoff shot

No, they really don't.

jhR4WB8.jpg

Even if they win their three, the Stillers making the playoffs is about the same odds as hitting an eight or nine team parlay. And how often does that happen?

either that or gain more experience and actually finish a season with his team for the first time in three years...he does not need a season to heal as he is either cleared to play or not...

Reactions: Chaos
No, they really don't.

jhR4WB8.jpg

Even if they win their three, the Stillers making the playoffs is about the same odds as hitting an eight or nine team parlay. And how often does that happen?
I made a post on it after last weekends NFL games. Steelers had a more than semi-realistic chance of making the playoffs had the Chargers not have pulled out that end of game win last week. But with the Chargers winning, chances went down to slim to none.

Not all concussions are the same.....
I been telling anyone who will listen. There is no way KP had a concussion the first time. It was right after the Tua incident and the team wasn't putting him back in there after a seemingly dangerous hit.

There is ZERO chance in today's NFL that a player enters "the protocol" and doesn't even miss a practice if he actually had a concussion

I been telling anyone who will listen. There is no way KP had a concussion the first time. It was right after the Tua incident and the team wasn't putting him back in there after a seemingly dangerous hit.

There is ZERO chance in today's NFL that a player enters "the protocol" and doesn't even miss a practice if he actually had a concussion

That's fair. And I didn't realize it was later deemed to not have been a concussion. But, what's a concussion, really? Isn't the definition fairly ambiguous in and of itself? He still took a shot to the head that day. So, if he takes another, it won't look good.

Reactions: Dewey Eye
Couldn't disagree more.

This!

I agree with what you are saying in terms of his pro development. He will not become Joe Montana by playing the last 3 games of the season. His development is not being condensed in a few games.

My concern is with the risk of further injury in games that will not mean anything other than draft position. I hope I am wrong, but I guarantee that if he suffers another head shot the rest of the year, many will question the wisdom of playing him in meaningless end of season games that risk further possible damaging injury.
You don't draft a QB in the first round and then shut him down if he is cleared to play. That's lunacy.

Every single game the Jaguars played last year was a meaningless game. Should they have shut Trevor Lawrence down?

No. If he is cleared to play, he should play. No ifs, ands, or buts. His risk of a further concussion is no less if it happens in next season's week 1 vs this weekend.

If the UPMC docs clear him, he should play.

Not really, 0.3% chance...

-Steelers must go 3-0
-Chargers, Patriots, Raiders, Jets, Browns, must ALL go 0-3
Not completely true.

- Steelers must go 3-0
- Either the Chargers or Dolphins must go 0-3
- Patriots and Jets must go 1-2 or worse
- Browns and Raiders are irrelevant, if Steelers go 3-0.

Just not a PR risk I'd be willing to take. Playing one more game or not isn't going to affect him that much in 2023. It's just not. Gonna be a bad look if Crosby and/or Jones bounces his head off the rockhard ground.
Is the field heated at all? I don't know?

Anyways, this BS about "shutting people down" to avoid injury is getting out of hand, how about he sit all of next year too? Learn from the bench, so he's healthy for 2024?

Reactions: PANTHERAN
Not completely true.

- Steelers must go 3-0
- Either the Chargers or Dolphins must go 0-3
- Patriots and Jets must go 1-2 or worse
- Browns and Raiders are irrelevant, if Steelers go 3-0.
I don't know? I found a post that showed what I wrote on Twitter, whatever is true, it's still a long shot. But what's the use, this team makes the playoffs it's to earn the right to play the Chiefs, then if you win, travel to Buffalo :)

I don't know? I found a post that showed what I wrote on Twitter, whatever is true, it's still a long shot. But what's the use, this team makes the playoffs it's to earn the right to play the Chiefs, then if you win, travel to Buffalo :)
Browns and Raiders are tied with Steelers at 6-8. Steelers play both. If Steelers go 3-0... both Raiders and Browns are behind Steelers with 9 losses... regardless of their other two games.

A Steelers 3-0 eliminates the Raiders and Browns.

Steelers needs Patriots and Jets to both be 8-9. Therefore, 1-2 or worse for both teams.

Finally... Dolphins and Chargers are 8-6. Steelers need at least ONE of those two to go 0-3. Both would be great, but only need one.

In recent history.... NFL QBs make their greatest jump in their second season as a starter.

Joe Burrow
Jalen Hurts
Josh Allen
Tua Tagovailoa
Trevor Lawrence

All made a substantial jump in their play in their SECOND season as a starter. And it was made possible by having the reps in their FIRST season in order to gain experience and have the pro game "slow down" for them.

Shutting Pickett down for these last 3 games.... if he is cleared by doctors to play .... would be coaching malpractice on Tomlin's part.

Browns and Raiders are tied with Steelers at 6-8. Steelers play both. If Steelers go 3-0... both Raiders and Browns are behind Steelers with 9 losses... regardless of their other two games.

A Steelers 3-0 eliminates the Raiders and Browns.

Steelers needs Patriots and Jets to both be 8-9. Therefore, 1-2 or worse for both teams.

Finally... Dolphins and Chargers are 8-6. Steelers need at least ONE of those two to go 0-3. Both would be great, but only need one.
Yep, that about covers it. If you look at who everyone has left to play, Steelers actually had a decent chance….up until the Chargers won last week. With the Chargers win, they would need the Chargers to lose 2 of their remaining 3 just to tie them. If you’re saying the Chargers need to lose all 3, I guess that means they win any tiebreaker with the Steelers, regardless of what other teams may be involved in the tiebreaker.

In any case, if you look at who the Chargers have left, they ain’t losing 2 let alone 3.

I would put the Steelers chances of winning out at about 8-10%... even before all the other stuff that needs to happen.

Wouldn't a 50/50 outcome happening three times in a row yield a 12.5% probability? Been a while since I've had a stats class, ha. I'd say the Browns and Raiders games are 50/50, with a Jackson-led Baltimore team needing to win the game for playoff purposes being longer odds for us.

Kenny already sat out the Peach Bowl last year. Ain’t that enough sittin’ for ya?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Chaos and Pitt79
Is the field heated at all? I don't know?

Anyways, this BS about "shutting people down" to avoid injury is getting out of hand, how about he sit all of next year too? Learn from the bench, so he's healthy for 2024?
C'mon Pitt79....you know that's not what I meant. You are a good, level headed poster whose opinion I respect. I expected there would be disagreeing opinions on this thread and I understand everyone's view. That's what this forum is about.

In recent history.... NFL QBs make their greatest jump in their second season as a starter.

Joe Burrow
Jalen Hurts
Josh Allen
Tua Tagovailoa
Trevor Lawrence

All made a substantial jump in their play in their SECOND season as a starter. And it was made possible by having the reps in their FIRST season in order to gain experience and have the pro game "slow down" for them.

Shutting Pickett down for these last 3 games.... if he is cleared by doctors to play .... would be coaching malpractice on Tomlin's part.
I realize you disagree with my view. i respect that. I also understand that a doctor's clearance to play should be considered. I hope I am wrong and Kenny plays the last 3 games and makes plays we know he can.

But I also disagree that the last 3 games will somehow advance his progress that will not be a continuation into next year regardless. The QBs you have listed are all examples I have made to others off this board that show his early struggles can go with the territory of future success.

You do however to fail to mention recent other former #1 draft pick QBs that have struggles for one reason or another. Many have had plenty of game experience to craft their progress.

Josh Rosen
Carson Wentz
Marcus Mariota
Jared Goff
Zach Wilson
Sam Darnold
E.J. Manuel
Tim Tebow
Paxton Lynch
Christian Ponder
Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater
Dwayne Haskins
Jake Locker
Blake Bortles
Blaine Gabbert
Sam Bradford
Baker Mayfield

My point is that you seem to feel that these last three games will somehow propel KP to future success that not playing them will stunt his growth. If Kenny becomes the franchise QB we hope he will, I guess we can point to 3 mostly meaningless games against mediocre opponents as the catalyst to his success. Or maybe it's just because he has it to succeed. Hopefully he can avoid more head bumps.

Last edited:
Yep, that about covers it. If you look at who everyone has left to play, Steelers actually had a decent chance….up until the Chargers won last week. With the Chargers win, they would need the Chargers to lose 2 of their remaining 3 just to tie them. If you’re saying the Chargers need to lose all 3, I guess that means they win any tiebreaker with the Steelers, regardless of what other teams may be involved in the tiebreaker.

In any case, if you look at who the Chargers have left, they ain’t losing 2 let alone 3.
You never know. Herbert can get hurt in the 1st quarter this weekend, and then all of a sudden, the Chargers could lose all 3. Stranger things have happened.

Likely? Of course not. But that's why you play it out. Shit happens.

• Haha
Reactions: Chaos and FireballZ
So we should be rooting for the jags or jets tonight for steeler playoff chances?
Jags. Either the Jags or Titans are going to win the South.... and Jags were 6-8 to Jets' 7-7. Both of them being 7-8 now is better for the Steelers than if the Jets would've won.

Now, what is needed:

1. Steelers 3-0
2. Either the Dolphins *OR* Chargers 0-3.
3. Patriots 1-2
4. Non-South winner (between Titans and Jags) must have < 9 wins.
5. Jets 1-1 (Was 1-2 before tonight)

If those 5 things happen.... Probably < 1% chance of that.... the Steelers are in.

Tua literally had brain stem damage and played 2 weeks later very well

Back to the Thread Title, Tomlin should sit the entire team if temps don’t get a good bit better than what they are now. Can you imagine playing tackle football in this

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT