H.Hasselbech - visited 3/14
T,Cherry
S.Kaiser
J.Anderson - visited twice in 2022
A.Erby - visited in 2022
T.Jackson - visited in 2022

Last edited:
Reactions: singregardless
Like so much in regards to recruiting, the portal impacts this greatly. With Pitt now firmly embedded with the rep that we will go to the portal to find and automatically anoint our starting QB for each coming year, it’s bound to have some impact on recruiting high school QBs.

Reactions: gary2
Like so much in regards to recruiting, the portal impacts this greatly. With Pitt now firmly embedded with the rep that we will go to the portal to find and automatically anoint our starting QB for each coming year, it’s bound to have some impact on recruiting high school QBs.
Absolutely

I don’t see Pitt being an outlier, positively or negatively.

There’s not a school out there who isn’t trying to improve any position, and especially QB, with recruitment - either through high school or transfer portal.

Reactions: Parkview57
Absolutely
It’s another reason it dismayed me that Duz steadfastly would not remove Slovis even for one play when he was dooming us mid season with his awful performances. It screamed of a Faustian deal made with Slovis in the off-season that Duz would never, ever lift him. The problem is that high school guys watching that will realize that the fix is going to be in with QBs at Pitt in the same way pretty much every season. So if I’m such a kid, what is the appeal in choosing us when it seems clear I’d never get a snap at all short of the transfer guy who was handed the job getting knocked completely out the game?

At the same time I definitely get it that this is how mid tier teams like us are going to find many of our starting players going forward, increasingly so. The side effect is going to be in the difficulty of getting really desirable high school guys at these positions. More than ever, the game changer type high school recruits are going to commit exclusively to top tier teams even if they know they might never get a shot at them, and we’ll get our chance at them “on the way down” as it were. It is what it is and we’re actually doing it better than many, but it certainly has made following recruiting very strange.

I don't know, Kenny Pickett isn't that distant of a memory yet. Seems to me there should still be some credit on that card what with him having started as a freshman.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
I don't know, Kenny Pickett isn't that distant of a memory yet. Seems to me there should still be some credit on that card what with him having started as a freshman.
For sure, grizzled fans like me will be happy to give that credit, but to 17 year old kids that’s already ancient history.

For sure, grizzled fans like me will be happy to give that credit, but to 17 year old kids that’s already ancient history.
It's not, especially when the recruiter points out he's a homegrown 1st round draftee who just happens to be starting in the NFL.

I think there is an alternate dimension where Ben Dinucci's helmet doesn't pop off vs. Syracuse, Pickett doesn't burn his redshirt, and in turn doesn't start the Miami game. Then Pickett ends up transferring after his sophomore year when the big name transfer of the year commits to be the starter his junior year and there is no playing time in sight.

Until his injury, the coaching staff was Max Browne, ride or die that year, even when it was apparent his lack of mobility was a liability behind what was a relatively awful offensive line(and they showed the same stubbornness in not pulling Slovis vs. Georgia Tech, when it was very apparent that was not his day).

That said, if Christian Veilleux continues to impress the staff, that could break the cycle of bringing in a Senior transfer every year to start since they already have a "transfer in waiting" on the roster.

Narduzzi seems caught in the cache 22 that he's terrified of starting someone with no game experience; but none of his recruited quarterbacks have significant game experience because of his unwillingness to start a QB with limited experience.

At some point you have to do what other schools do and play guys that have learned and developed in your offensive system over a couple of years and live with the growing pains of getting acclimated to game action(lack of continuity at the offensive coordinator position might be in part why this hasn't happened).

I sincerely hope in a year or two we aren't regretting watching Yarnell carve up defenses for another program.

I think there is an alternate dimension where Ben Dinucci's helmet doesn't pop off vs. Syracuse, Pickett doesn't burn his redshirt, and in turn doesn't start the Miami game. Then Pickett ends up transferring after his sophomore year when the big name transfer of the year commits to be the starter his junior year and there is no playing time in sight.

Until his injury, the coaching staff was Max Browne, ride or die that year, even when it was apparent his lack of mobility was a liability behind what was a relatively awful offensive line(and they showed the same stubbornness in not pulling Slovis vs. Georgia Tech, when it was very apparent that was not his day).

That said, if Christian Veilleux continues to impress the staff, that could break the cycle of bringing in a Senior transfer every year to start since they already have a "transfer in waiting" on the roster.

Narduzzi seems caught in the cache 22 that he's terrified of starting someone with no game experience; but none of his recruited quarterbacks have significant game experience because of his unwillingness to start a QB with limited experience.

At some point you have to do what other schools do and play guys that have learned and developed in your offensive system over a couple of years and live with the growing pains of getting acclimated to game action(lack of continuity at the offensive coordinator position might be in part why this hasn't happened).

I sincerely hope in a year or two we aren't regretting watching Yarnell carve up defenses for another program.
Good post. Many (including myself) didn’t remember Duz had already committed to the transfer strategy for his starting QB all the way back with Browne (and really, Peterman before that). As I mentioned above we’re actually doing somewhat better than others relying on transfers and ultimately most only care about what the scoreboard says when all is said and done… but referring back to the OT it certainly has made the dynamic of following recruiting, especially QB recruiting, much different. I can’t imagine Pitt would ever expect to get a Marino or Rutherford or Palko commitment out of high school ever again…

Reactions: cdheller76
Good post. Many (including myself) didn’t remember Duz had already committed to the transfer strategy for his starting QB all the way back with Browne (and really, Peterman before that). As I mentioned above we’re actually doing somewhat better than others relying on transfers and ultimately most only care about what the scoreboard says when all is said and done… but referring back to the OT it certainly has made the dynamic of following recruiting, especially QB recruiting, much different. I can’t imagine Pitt would ever expect to get a Marino or Rutherford or Palko commitment out of high school ever again…
Minchey?

Right, Narduzzi isn’t committed to Senior transfers, he’s just trying to get talent where he can. Jurkovec was because they were moving on from Slovis. If Minchey stayed they still bring in Jurkovec. No coach is going to camp with just Yarnell and a true freshman. But when Minchey jumped they took Veilleux also.

I don’t think that’s it.

They’ve just missed at QB recruiting.

It’s not like a bunch of these guys they “refuse” to play have gone on and become superstars at other places.
I was at OU-Texas last year. Beville shouldn’t be starting anywhere.

I don’t see Pitt being an outlier, positively or negatively.

There’s not a school out there who isn’t trying to improve any position, and especially QB, with recruitment - either through high school or transfer portal.

I think Pitt probably could be an outlier for transfer QBs that have started under Narduzzi.

One look at the QB room when he got here should tell you why he went to transfers.

I actually love the concept of taking transfer portal QBs over high school guys. We pretty much never get freshmen QBs that can start on day 1. Why not take proven, experienced QBs while rolling the dice on high-upside developmental freshmen QBs? Since the latter rarely work out, we're always prepared with a starter. But if the freshman works out, we have lightening in a bottle.

We're basically hedging every year. I think it's genius.

Reactions: FireballZ
I think they'll continue to recruit HS guys. There will be QBs who will stick around if given the chance. Nate would be welcome at a lot of interest in smaller schools.

I actually love the concept of taking transfer portal QBs over high school guys. We pretty much never get freshmen QBs that can start on day 1. Why not take proven, experienced QBs while rolling the dice on high-upside developmental freshmen QBs? Since the latter rarely work out, we're always prepared with a starter. But if the freshman works out, we have lightening in a bottle.

We're basically hedging every year. I think it's genius.

I guess that can work.

But would you say the QB position has looked like the work of a genius under Narduzzi?

I haven’t seen many raw, sky is the limit type HS QB recruits, or much evidence of developing those guys if they are being landed.

And the transfer QBs have largely been misses. I wouldn’t even call them low ceiling, but steady players. Mostly outright misses.

I guess that can work.

But would you say the QB position has looked like the work of a genius under Narduzzi?

I haven’t seen many raw, sky is the limit type HS QB recruits, or much evidence of developing those guys if they are being landed.

And the transfer QBs have largely been misses. I wouldn’t even call them low ceiling, but steady players. Mostly outright misses.

I would say the QB position has been the work of genius under Narduzzi.

You have to grade Pitt on a curve. We're not a modern power, our local recruiting base is pretty poor (and on top of that we go against several of CFB's best teams for guys who are local), and up until recently we were probably below average in resources.

And despite that, what did we get at QB?
- Nate Peterman 2016 averaging 10+ AY/A (elite number)
- Kenny Pickett 2021 (Heisman finalist)
- Nate Peterman (2015); Kenny Pickett (2020); and Kendon Slovis (2022) top 50 season

In 8 years we got 2 really elite QB seasons, 3 average seasons, 1 below average season, and 2 bad seasons (Max Browne and 2018 Kenny). This staff proved it could win with "average" or even below average QB play. They really only stunk it up once, when the QB room was completely dire.

So I think their approach has paid off. Sure, I think we expected more from Kenny in 2020 and Slovis in 2022, but generally you have to admit they succeeded at the hardest position. And for a program as uninspiring as Pitt has often been in the last 30 years, that deserves a lot of praise.

Reactions: gary2
I would say the QB position has been the work of genius under Narduzzi.

You have to grade Pitt on a curve. We're not a modern power, our local recruiting base is pretty poor (and on top of that we go against several of CFB's best teams for guys who are local), and up until recently we were probably below average in resources.

And despite that, what did we get at QB?
- Nate Peterman 2016 averaging 10+ AY/A (elite number)
- Kenny Pickett 2021 (Heisman finalist)
- Nate Peterman (2015); Kenny Pickett (2020); and Kendon Slovis (2022) top 50 season

In 8 years we got 2 really elite QB seasons, 3 average seasons, 1 below average season, and 2 bad seasons (Max Browne and 2018 Kenny). This staff proved it could win with "average" or even below average QB play. They really only stunk it up once, when the QB room was completely dire.

So I think their approach has paid off. Sure, I think we expected more from Kenny in 2020 and Slovis in 2022, but generally you have to admit they succeeded at the hardest position. And for a program as uninspiring as Pitt has often been in the last 30 years, that deserves a lot of praise.

So in 8 years there has been 2 years of even above average QB play, one of which needed a COVID extension season to have?

So you think the default state of QB play is average to below, and it takes even a genius to get that?

C.Smith - visited 3/21
H.Hasselbech - visited 3/14
T,Cherry
S.Kaiser
J.Anderson - visited twice in 2022
A.Erby - visited in 2022
T.Jackson - visited in 2022
The hard cold reality of it is, Pitt could have just about any QB they want play for the program and I am including those top QB's on any college team.
Ultimately, this all comes down to which football program can offer the most money to the QB they want, high school or proven college QB. It is no longer about the program's history, it's head coach, it's OC, it's about the MONEY. Which program can put together the best NIL deal for that player? If Pitt or any other school wanted to, all they need to do is find a couple of donors with deep pockets and they can buy a team that competes for the national championship each year. Look at what USC did in football this year.

So in 8 years there has been 2 years of even above average QB play, one of which needed a COVID extension season to have?

So you think the default state of QB play is average to below, and it takes even a genius to get that?

For the last time, Kenny wasn't back only because of a COVID year. Pickett was eligible for a redshirt. The team could have petitioned for a redshirt year and been granted one. They simply didn't have to because the COVID year was automatic and not discretionary.

Yes I think the default state of the QB room, for a program that has been average to below average for the past 40 years, is average. Don't think that's revolutionary.

For the last time, Kenny wasn't back only because of a COVID year. Pickett was eligible for a redshirt. The team could have petitioned for a redshirt year and been granted one. They simply didn't have to because the COVID year was automatic and not discretionary.

Yes I think the default state of the QB room, for a program that has been average to below average for the past 40 years, is average. Don't think that's revolutionary.
The default argument with Pickett always reverts to Covid year whenever they have nothing else to argue about. I'm not sure what Covid year even means, and why people continue to bring it up. He was recruited by Pitt, developed by Pitt, and played for Pitt.... under the exact same rules as everyone playing football during that time.

The QB room when Duzz got here was Chad Voytik (who couldn't start at Ark St.) and Adam Bertke (who went to D2 Findlay). That's on the floor bad, horrendous, and every other synonym you can come up with.

But that’s what you said the QB room has been under Narduzzi.

If the default state is average QB play, and the QB play has been average to below average 75% of the time, according to you.

Where is the genius?

But that’s what you said the QB room has been under Narduzzi.

If the default state is average QB play, and the QB play has been average to below average 75% of the time, according to you.

Where is the genius?

The genius is having top-10 seasons (one top-2 season) 25% of the time from underrecruited nobodies while still managing good production in most other years. That was my point with this hedging strategy.

Yes, we only had 2 elite seasons in the last 8. That's 2 more than Pitt had in like 40 years before Narduzzi. Stop complaining.

Nate has some talent, but he played less than a season of hs ball. If he's tearing it up somewhere other than Pitt, is most likely sub p5.

The genius is having top-10 seasons (one top-2 season) 25% of the time from underrecruited nobodies while still managing good production in most other years. That was my point with this hedging strategy.

Yes, we only had 2 elite seasons in the last 8. That's 2 more than Pitt had in like 40 years before Narduzzi. Stop complaining.

What Hedging strategy?

It’s simply not true that the staff is taking a bunch of raw, high upside guys, and then taking experienced, maybe lower ceiling but high floor transfers to balance that out.

I also don’t think it takes a ton of genius to have average to bad QB play 75% of the time at Pitt.

The hard cold reality of it is, Pitt could have just about any QB they want play for the program and I am including those top QB's on any college team.
Ultimately, this all comes down to which football program can offer the most money to the QB they want, high school or proven college QB. It is no longer about the program's history, it's head coach, it's OC, it's about the MONEY. Which program can put together the best NIL deal for that player? If Pitt or any other school wanted to, all they need to do is find a couple of donors with deep pockets and they can buy a team that competes for the national championship each year. Look at what USC did in football this year.
Hasselbeck is a talented QB and his family does not need money. It is more about fit and who can develop him the best in their case.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT