ADVERTISEMENT

Top realistic coaching options for Pitt

HailtoPitt

Board of Trustee
Jun 18, 2001
I'd say the most realistic scenario is no head coaching change, but a new OC.

However, if PN does get the boot, who would you make an offer to who might actually accept the job?

How about Luke Fickell.

Marcus Freeman - Cincy
Fickell isn’t taking the job and Freeman is a big reason Fickell is having so much success.

However, if PN does get the boot, who would you make an offer to who might actually accept the job?

How about Luke Fickell.
I’d like Fickell because HC experience but he already turned down MSU & has 4 kids I believe? May not want to move.

Skywalker doesn’t want the job ... but he’s a real joker these days anyway.

Reactions: BVGPitt
My hope would be for an offensive guy. Tony Elliott from Clemson? Not sure about Lance Leipold from Buffalo.

How about Luke Fickell.

Luke Fickell is not coming to Pitt. I'm sure Lyke will reach out to him being they both were at Ohio State. However most people, including Fickell himself view Pitt as a lateral move from Cincinnati. He knows he's in line to get a much bigger job in the near future...

Luke Fickell is not coming to Pitt. I'm sure Lyke will reach out to him being they both were at Ohio State. However most people, including Fickell himself view Pitt as a lateral move from Cincinnati. He knows he's in line to get a much bigger job in the near future...

You're probably right. Pretty sad when Pitt is close toma lateral move vs Cincy.

They are ranked #9 in the country and have had a good established program for about 15 years. They are clearly ahead of us.

Not much doubt about that, however:

I really believe there are coaches that have been successful below P5 that want to achieve at the highest level that may be too impatient to wait for their preferred “dream job”. These guys may be approachable if you are able to make enough of a financial commitment to pull them from the good jobs they have now. Maybe they move on after a few years when a better job comes along, but they will leave the program in a much better place. Specifically the guys I’m referring to are:

Luke Fickell
Bryan Harsin
Josh Heupel

I think even the most ardent Pitt fans would admit the programs these guys are at have been superior to Pitt in recent years, but where they are now their chances of making the playoffs are limited. More than anything great coaches are alpha dogs and want to compete against the best competition because they think they can beat them. This crap people always say about looking for the easiest path is nonsense.

Obviously it would take a ton of money to get any of these guys and they would leave quickly if they had success, but isn’t that preferable to the idiot we have now?

Obviously it would take a ton of money to get any of these guys and they would leave quickly if they had success, but isn’t that preferable to the idiot we have now?

I just don't get the fear of being a stepping stone that some people have. Scenario time. Pitt hires the 2021 version of 1973 Johnny Majors (not Johnny Majors II, obviously). In four years New Johnny Majors takes Pitt to, well, let's not even say a national championship, but how about to a season where we go 11-1 or 10-2 and then win the ACC championship and play in and win a New Year's Six Bowl game. And then New Johnny Majors decides to take over for the retiring Nick Saban at Alabama.

Is there any Pitt fan that doesn't sign up for that in a heartbeat? Anyone? You'd have to be a moron to think that that wouldn't be a not a good thing, a GREAT thing for Pitt football. From a guy who used us as a stepping stone.

Just like Johnny Majors did.

I really believe there are coaches that have been successful below P5 that want to achieve at the highest level that may be too impatient to wait for their preferred “dream job”. These guys may be approachable if you are able to make enough of a financial commitment to pull them from the good jobs they have now. Maybe they move on after a few years when a better job comes along, but they will leave the program in a much better place. Specifically the guys I’m referring to are:

Luke Fickell
Bryan Harsin
Josh Heupel

I think even the most ardent Pitt fans would admit the programs these guys are at have been superior to Pitt in recent years, but where they are now their chances of making the playoffs are limited. More than anything great coaches are alpha dogs and want to compete against the best competition because they think they can beat them. This crap people always say about looking for the easiest path is nonsense.

Fickell turned down MSU, so I don’t see him as a possibility. Harsin is definitely worth checking in on. I’m not a huge Heupel fan.

Luke Fickell
Bryan Harsin
Josh Heupel

Bryan Harsin is worth a phone call. Besides, his wife is pretty hot too (added bonus)...

1f9357e7e1e0316e68973075b6e8d424.jpg-nggid048932-ngg0dyn-1200x1200x100-00f0w010c010r110f110r010t010.jpg

Bryan Harsin is worth a phone call. Besides, his wife is pretty hot too (added bonus)...

1f9357e7e1e0316e68973075b6e8d424.jpg-nggid048932-ngg0dyn-1200x1200x100-00f0w010c010r110f110r010t010.jpg

Living in a MWC city I’ve seen and heard of her before, always thought she had kind of the slutty biker chick thing going for her. Boise St does pretty well in recruiting to be sure, but Harsin is a good coach as well.

One reason Fickell might have turned down MSU was because of the timing. Just a bad time to be hiring, and a lot of coaches wouldn’t have jumped so late.

But I agree that MSU and Pitt don’t add anything for him. He’s already on a rocket ship to a big time job. At this point Pitt and MSU can only hurt that.

I just don't get the fear of being a stepping stone that some people have. Scenario time. Pitt hires the 2021 version of 1973 Johnny Majors (not Johnny Majors II, obviously). In four years New Johnny Majors takes Pitt to, well, let's not even say a national championship, but how about to a season where we go 11-1 or 10-2 and then win the ACC championship and play in and win a New Year's Six Bowl game. And then New Johnny Majors decides to take over for the retiring Nick Saban at Alabama.

Is there any Pitt fan that doesn't sign up for that in a heartbeat? Anyone? You'd have to be a moron to think that that wouldn't be a not a good thing, a GREAT thing for Pitt football. From a guy who used us as a stepping stone.

Just like Johnny Majors did.

Absolutely!

The only problem is it isn't realistic. It simply isn't possible to recruit well enough at Pitt to get that done.

Absolutely!

The only problem is it isn't realistic. It simply isn't possible to recruit well enough at Pitt to get that done.
Totally agree with TD6082, Majors 1 brought in about 90 recruits his first year which built the foundation for the 4 year run. HCPN doesn’t bring in enough high profile 4 and 5 star recruits to obtain double digit wins per year and I doubt any of the named possible replacements would solve that problem. When the time comes, Joe Rudolph OC Wis., might be a name to consider but in the near future there will undoubtedly be better programs seeking his employment.

Reactions: columbus mike
Fickell turned down MSU, so I don’t see him as a possibility. Harsin is definitely worth checking in on. I’m not a huge Heupel fan.
Some of these guys listed are at programs that are the big fish in a small pond. Pitt is a small fish in a big pond. Those guys should not leave a guaranteed thing.

Here's my take being realistic, right now. Try to save to the season. The remains of the season should be what saves/fires Narduzzi. Clemson is a loss, the rest of the games define whether the team totally quits or not.
First off, fire Whipple today, or least take the keys away from him...today. Let one of the offensive position coaches take over.
If the team wins or at least is competitive, we know the OC is the problem, if the team lays an egg and just quits, the HC is the problem and should be fired at the end of the season.

Second, unless Pickett is 100%, I start Beville and let him play the entire game. Let him loosen up even if he stumbles a bit. If they don’t he’s going to transfer in my opinion. If Pickett then turns pro, what do we have left? The depth will be gone at QB.

Luke Fickell (Cincy)
Bill Clark (UAB)
Jamey Chadwell (CC)
Jeff Monken (Army)
Billy Napier (Louisiana)

I can't believe some people want to bring in more Big10 guys. LOOK SOUTH! Either someone off the staff of Clemson, or one of the SEC powerhouses, or a very successful head coach from a southern G5 school. We need someone who can recruit in our league's geographic footprint. Hell, even as an independent, our two most successful coaches, Majors, and Sherrill, were SEC guys. Catch a clue please. Big 10 ball doesn't work in the ACC, and you're not going to be able to recruit Great Lakes talent to play in a league located along the Atlantic coast.

It simply isn't possible to recruit well enough at Pitt to get that done.

Of course it is, with the right coach. I mean it's certainly not likely, but it absolutely is possible. Do you seriously think that a 10-2 season is impossible for Pitt, playing in the Coastal Division of the ACC, no matter who the coach is?

I guess given that you think that way it now becomes easier to see why you think that Dave Wannstedt was a great coach. When all you aspire to is mediocrity someone who gets you to just a little bit better than mediocre must seem like a god.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Marcus Freeman - Cincy
Fickell isn’t taking the job and Freeman is a big reason Fickell is having so much success.

He may end up being a good HC, but he's the DC at Cincy working under a defensive HC. His first head job should be in the MAC, not at Pitt.

I would prefer to stay away from DCs and want someone who has been an HC. Preferably offensive side of the ball.

He may end up being a good HC, but he's the DC at Cincy working under a defensive HC. His first head job should be in the MAC, not at Pitt.

I would prefer to stay away from DCs and want someone who has been an HC. Preferably offensive side of the ball.
You are either head coach material or you’re not. It doesn’t matter what side of the ball you come from and it doesn’t matter if you have head coaching experience or not. Freeman checks all the boxes and it could happen.

If there is a coaching change, at least interview Will Healy. I doubt Luke Fickell would be interested in Pitt

You are either head coach material or you’re not. It doesn’t matter what side of the ball you come from and it doesn’t matter if you have head coaching experience or not. Freeman checks all the boxes and it could happen.

I just think he's too risky of a hire to make after eating a fairly big contract buyout. He's a high risk, high reward hire.

l would first go after Heupel(even though he's a jagoff), Harsin and maybe even Mclewain. Then the group of Napier, Chadwell, etc..

If you were going to bring in a "defensive guy" then I think it's extremely important to ask him about his offensive philosophy in the interview, and you need to get the correct answer. If he give you a Narduzzi-like answer of I want to run a pro-style offense were we emphasize running the ball to try to control the clock and the game or some such then you run away from that guy as far and as fast as you can.

On the other hand, if he says something like I want to go out and find the best young offensive mind that I can to be my offensive coordinator and then for the most part I'm going to get out of his way and let him do his thing, and I'd like some assurances from you that I am going to have the kind of budget for assistants to make that happen, then that's the kind of guy that you might want to hire.

If you were going to bring in a "defensive guy" then I think it's extremely important to ask him about his offensive philosophy in the interview, and you need to get the correct answer. If he give you a Narduzzi-like answer of I want to run a pro-style offense were we emphasize running the ball to try to control the clock and the game or some such then you run away from that guy as far and as fast as you can.

On the other hand, if he says something like I want to go out and find the best young offensive mind that I can to be my offensive coordinator and then for the most part I'm going to get out of his way and let him do his thing, and I'd like some assurances from you that I am going to have the kind of budget for assistants to make that happen, then that's the kind of guy that you might want to hire.
You are right and a good coach would already realize this. Good young assistants want to work under a good head coach so they can win and advance their career.

If there is a coaching change, at least interview Will Healy. I doubt Luke Fickell would be interested in Pitt

I doubt he would be either, but that’s what AD’s are supposed to do. Schmooze the guy, pay him a little more than market value, sell him on the job.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT