ADVERTISEMENT

TOS is reporting Paris Ford

giphy.gif

Reactions: e-fresh
After watching clips and following this kid for 2 years I sure hope that he lives up to the hype. Hope to see him on the field Sept. 2.

I just hope he's been certified hernia-free.

Speaking of following athletes for years and ended up being let downs. I remember hoping that Notre Dame wouldn't step in and steal Hamlin. Hard to predict injuries. Ford looks like a different type of athlete though. Looks like a ballhawk that will change games when he gets his hands on the ball.

Reactions: PHEONIX4
Unless he can make a real difference on defense, which at this point is very very unlikely, I'd give him some reps at slot WR and see if he can change a game.

Unless he can make a real difference on defense, which at this point is very very unlikely, I'd give him some reps at slot WR and see if he can change a game.
And with whitehead out for 3 games, added to the fact that picking up the playbook in a week or two's time to play safety would be incredibly hard, I definitely think they should get him involved on offense. I think the only question should be, try him out against ysu or do what we did last year in the opener before the psu game?

you can put him in on a pass package even with little knowledge of the play book. I agree, asking him to start on base is asking too much. but you can put him in on a dime/nickel package and rely on his athletic ability on some of these packages and lets face it, with ok state and Sandusky U, we shouldn't be in our base too much, especially against the cowboys..

you can put him in on a pass package even with little knowledge of the play book. I agree, asking him to start on base is asking too much. but you can put him in on a dime/nickel package and rely on his athletic ability on some of these packages and lets face it, with ok state and Sandusky U, we shouldn't be in our base too much, especially against the cowboys..
Even in nickel or dime you have understand all the covered schemes. It not any easier then regular packages. It a huge liability to throw a guy who is not 100 percent sure of what he doing. A blown assignment in the secondary can be an easy 6 points. It not like other positions were for example a de out of position may turn a 3 yard gain into a 10 yard game.

He won't be able to practice in full pads until next Tuesday. Assuming the don't taper off he will have probably 4 practices in full pad in camp. Another two in game week. So you asking a true freshmen contribute after maybe 8 or 10 full pad practices to play against a top 25 team in Penn state. It hard enough for a kid who been in practice and going to meetings all preseason. I just think expecting him to contribute early outside of special teams is expecting to much.

Even in nickel or dime you have understand all the covered schemes. It not any easier then regular packages. It a huge liability to throw a guy who is not 100 percent sure of what he doing. A blown assignment in the secondary can be an easy 6 points. It not like other positions were for example a de out of position may turn a 3 yard gain into a 10 yard game.

He won't be able to practice in full pads until next Tuesday. Assuming the don't taper off he will have probably 4 practices in full pad in camp. Another two in game week. So you asking a true freshmen contribute after maybe 8 or 10 full pad practices to play against a top 25 team in Penn state. It hard enough for a kid who been in practice and going to meetings all preseason. I just think expecting him to contribute early outside of special teams is expecting to much.

Bottom line is coaches will do what is best for the team. If Ford is ready to be an asset immediately they will play him early. If not, and they don't feel playing him will add anything early in the season; then, they will not play him early. Once he is the best option at a starting or backup position he will play, not before.

Reactions: d4steel
More important than him playing this year is he is officially on the team. Had he went Juco or prep he would have been a FA again and Pitt would have had to keep recruiting him because you can guarantee other teams would.

Exactly, Revamped. Get him here! You never know what could happen with one more year "on the market", if you will.

If he plays this year, great, that means he's really good to pick things up so fast. If he redshirts, who cares?

More important than him playing this year is he is officially on the team. Had he went Juco or prep he would have been a FA again and Pitt would have had to keep recruiting him because you can guarantee other teams would.

Great point. Though he might not be ready for the first few games, he could contribute during ACC play; or he could redshirt. Either way he is at Pitt and in the fold for the future.

Pitt gave up something like 350 passing yards a game and let Syracuse hang 61 on them last year and you are worried about a 4 star supposed stud struggling with coverage schemes and being out of position for big plays because he is rusty and not up to speed on the playbook....uh, ok.

Is this legit? He's definitely cleared? And, if so, why in the hell wouldn't he play this season? He'll get a week of camp in, practice week before Youngstown, PSU, etc. By the third or fourth game, provided he's a gifted talent, why wouldn't he be part of the rotation? No need to RS a talent like this dude. He's probably gonna leave his after four years whether he RS or does not. I don't see him as a 5 year guy.

Is eligible.

Can anyone close to program confirm?
Are you going by ACCpittpanthers post? He also claimed on July 30 that he was cleared and ready to go. He keeps claiming it the case so I would not put any weight into it. All the tweets from practice didn't include it so I doubt it true.

Reactions: Jpripper88
Pitt gave up something like 350 passing yards a game and let Syracuse hang 61 on them last year and you are worried about a 4 star supposed stud struggling with coverage schemes and being out of position for big plays because he is rusty and not up to speed on the playbook....uh, ok.

Couldn't have said it any better. Not to point out and pick on some of the players who graduated from last year's team; but there were several times where a receiver was simply running free behind the safety. Put Ford back there and treat the position like a center-fielder in baseball. Control the field and force the QB to check down to shorter throws vs. having free runners standing in the end zone waving their hands at the QB.

Are you going by ACCpittpanthers post? He also claimed on July 30 that he was cleared and ready to go. He keeps claiming it the case so I would not put any weight into it. All the tweets from practice didn't include it so I doubt it true.

My thoughts as well. Until an official statement is made by the university/Peak/etc. I'll curb my enthusiasm, while remaining optimistic that the news is true.

he is either eligible or not. there is no gray area. why are people saying he is eligible when clearly he is not. if he was, we would ALL know. everyone one of us would know. this isn't something some of us would eventually find out thru whispers at the water cooler. HE IS OR HE ISN'T. If someone says he is, and he isn't, that person needs punched in the junk.

It would be like reporting that someone is dead. I mean, a person is either dead, or alive. you cant say someone is dead if they are alive. if you did that, it would be false. new rule. no one is allowed to say Ford is eligible unless he is actually eligible.

Sources I have talked to and those very well connected say he is indeed a go but he can't be officially part of the roster until a few times are done but the main issue of his eligibility for the 2017 season has been determined and he is eligible as per TOS but won't be official until all things are official through the NCAA and University.

Sources I have talked to and those very well connected say he is indeed a go but he can't be officially part of the roster until a few times are done but the main issue of his eligibility for the 2017 season has been determined and he is eligible as per TOS but won't be official until all things are official through the NCAA and University.
soooo unofficially it's official that he may be eligible but it's not yet official?

After watching clips and following this kid for 2 years I sure hope that he lives up to the hype. Hope to see him on the field Sept. 2.
He's way behind. Bigger deal
he needs to redshirt. He has zero practice reps 2 weeks before game 1. He is way behind. No sense wasting a year of eligibility to play a few reps in specialty packages on offense., which is all he will be able to learn at this point.

For once we aren't so thin at any position that we need to force anyone into action.

Reactions: CbgPanther
Yes, he's behind and its highly unlikely he will provide substantial or possibly any impact against PSU or OSU. But lets not get carried away, he's not going to RS if he's eligible to play. It's just NOT going to happen.

Matthews missed a lot of camp too and I wouldn't RS him this season either.
hmmm, if he is playing behind Weah and not in contention for that other WR spot, I would. Obviously depends on injuries but if Weah is healthy all year, hell yeah I'd redshirt him.

Don't think they will though, Sherman was quoted as saying he wants 6-7 WRs playing. I don't even think we have that many WRs on our roster. Coaches always exaggerate this crap though.

You RS him, no question. As talented (physically) as he is, it's doubtful he will be up to speed mentally to be an asset early in the season. Then does it make sense for him to play after riding the pine through the first couple of games?

His best football is ahead of him and this year has been pointed at as a rebuild...why waste eligibility on our prized recruit?

This obsession with RS positions outside of DL and OL and QB is weird to me. Let these dudes get reps.

París Ford plays and possibly starts against Ped State. Kid is a specimen and can line up and take their best WR out of the game having a huge impact. Ped State may likely not test him anyway if he takes out their number one.

This obsession with RS positions outside of DL and OL and QB is weird to me. Let these dudes get reps.
I agree. why are we worried about 2022. for all we know, we got aliens and/or asteroids ending our existence. Stephen Hawking is predicting intelligent alien beings destroying humanity, you think you are smarter than him.

How red would are faces be if we redshirt him and all of a sudden in june of 2022, the mothership comes down and green men start annihilating us. could you imagine the embarrassment on our faces?

París Ford plays and possibly starts against Ped State. Kid is a specimen and can line up and take their best WR out of the game having a huge impact. Ped State may likely not test him anyway if he takes out their number one.
Right! He doesn't need to know what he's doing out there, because he's a great athlete. I think you're on to something.

Never mind those pesky little details of understanding the playbook, the coverages, the switches, the responsibilities of the position that seem to get in the way. You know, the minor little things that have kept a whole bunch of our next great things sidelined for their freshman year.

Ford may not redshirt, but we are no longer in a position depth wise to have to play a true freshman who has had zero college practice reps 2 weeks fro the first game of the season.

ADVERTISEMENT