ADVERTISEMENT

Towson Game & Oth ... err ... well ... umm ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
It was too nice of a night at the Pete tonight not to comment!

The Panthers weren't the best team tonight. (Neither team earned that title, really) They certainly didn't play very good offense, nor did Towson. Certainly neither team shot it well.

But the Panthers came out victorious this day because they were the noticeably tougher team. And considering that Towson isn't a little softie, that's no small feat.

Perhaps, after all, defense and rebounding really do matter!

Because they were tougher, the Panthers played much more confidently in the final five minutes, and because of both factors, we only allowed 4 points in the final 5 1/2 minutes.

And when Kham Davis hit the three, and one, with three and a half minutes, I said to my neighbor, "We are going to win this!" I haven't said that down the stretch in too many close games over the last few years.

Before the season started, I counted this as a loss. Even four hours ago, I thought it would be. Sure glad to be wrong.

Before the season started, I figured we'd win either 7 or 8 OOC games. Glad it was the latter.

Nice win gentlemen!

The Panthers weren't the best team tonight. (Neither team earned that title, really) They certainly didn't play very good offense, nor did Towson. Certainly neither team shot it well.

But the Panthers came out victorious this day because they were the noticeably tougher team. And considering that Towson isn't a little softie, that's no small feat.

Because they were tougher, the Panthers played much more confidently in the final five minutes, and because of both factors, we only allowed 4 points in the final 5 1/2 minutes.

And when Kham Davis hit the three, and one, with three and a half minutes, I said to my neighbor, "We are going to win this!" I haven't said that down the stretch in too many close games over the last few years.

Before the season started, I counted this as a loss. Even four hours ago, I thought it would be. Sure glad to be wrong.

Before the season started, I figured we'd win either 7 or 8 OOC games. Glad it was the latter.

Nice win gentlemen!
Think Kene’s minutes will be taken by the Frosh bigs? Peace can’t even catch, though he had 3 blocks in the first half. Brown has some game. Not ACC level game yet.

I remember his first layup in the opener getting thrown. He’s come a long way since then.
I've been waiting a long time (actually since the human dunking machine Eric Mobley) for Pitt to finally find a big who understands that if nobody is around, a clean dunk is always the best shot. Watching today, I think Brown gets it.

I've been waiting a long time (actually since the human dunking machine Eric Mobley) for Pitt to finally find a big who understands that if nobody is around, a clean dunk is always the best shot. Watching today, I think Brown gets it.
Glad to see he is not just a perimeter big.

Nice win gentlemen!
Good to see

Reactions: Cavalier Panther

Nice win gentlemen!
I'm starting to think that the reason Stallings has had modest success is his philosophy. When you live by the jump shot you die by the jump shot. And lord knows that every team is bound to have poor shooting nights several times per year.

If you or anyone heard Stallings on the way home, he told Hillgrove that the performance was not real good tonight. But then he had to correct himself. He said the defense and rebounding was good, but it was the offensive things that weren't (turnovers and shooting). This is quite a contrast from Dixon. In fact it's the exact opposite. Rebounding is always the first stat Dixon looks at in the post game score sheet. So when Dixon had modest talent and shots weren't dropping, he still found his teams competing in games.

I'm starting to think that the reason Stallings has had modest success is his philosophy. When you live by the jump shot you die by the jump shot. And lord knows that every team is bound to have poor shooting nights several times per year.

If you or anyone heard Stallings on the way home, he told Hillgrove that the performance was not real good tonight. But then he had to correct himself. He said the defense and rebounding was good, but it was the offensive things that weren't (turnovers and shooting). This is quite a contrast from Dixon. In fact it's the exact opposite. Rebounding is always the first stat Dixon looks at in the post game score sheet. So when Dixon had modest talent and shots weren't dropping, he still found his teams competing in games.
I heard the same thing. I think what he’s saying is, defense and rebounding should always be there(desire/effort driven). Offense(skill, execution, accuracy) is the variable that will vary like tonight.
They won because they hit shots; Carr’s big drive and dish to Millie, Kham’s 4, and Carr’s 3 when it counted and Towson didn’t.

I honestly think Pitt fans think Stallings teaches his teams to not care about defending and rebounding because he doesn’t talk about it endlessly like our last coach.

Nice win gentlemen!
Regarding the Dribbles....just do them.

I honestly think Pitt fans think Stallings teaches his teams to not care about defending and rebounding because he doesn’t talk about it endlessly like our last coach.

No, it’s because we aren’t good at them. Our defense is rated 154 and our rebounding is rated 234/284. Talking about it more or less doesn’t make the results any different. Our offense rating is actually worse than our defense right now, and he talks about that all the time.

Defense and rebounding. Defense and rebounding. That's what won this game last night. We may not be very good at it, but we actually played defense and rebounded at times and enough to win. When you do that, you almost always give yourself a chance to win against anyone.

No, it’s because we aren’t good at them. Our defense is rated 154 and our rebounding is rated 234/284. Talking about it more or less doesn’t make the results any different. Our offense rating is actually worse than our defense right now, and he talks about that all the time.
Maybe that's because Pitt has to be playing the most inexperienced team in the country (D1, D2,D3 etc) . This isnt the Fab Five or Kentucky's one and done type of class !

Marcus Carr near the end of the game was very encouraging. He was quiet-but not in a bad way- for most of the night. But he stepped up to make a big three and some great, great passes. His dish to Milligan was a thing of beauty. I hate to say it, but that play made me nervous. First I was so excited that he made such a great pass, then i was so scared becuase he was passing it to Milligan and i was afraid Milligan would mess it up. I’m not proud of that thought, but i wasn’t the only guy in the arena that was afraid Milligan wouldn’t execute.

I thought the crowd was very enthusiastic and actually pretty loud at times.

I’m surprised brown isnt getting more love. I dont know where yinz get your plus/minus stats, but browns plus minus had to be yuge (yuge!) last night. The team was noticeably better in the first half when he was in the game instead of peace

The turnovers are outrageous, but i’m Still kind of optimistic that over time, these mistakes will go away. Carr had 7 turnovers, and most of them were of the ghastly variety. There were a lot of ill advised passes, and one really perplexing turnover during an inbounds play late in the game while Towson was pressing. I think over time they will go away. But until they go away, things could get really ugly.

Kham Davis’s rebound at the end of the game was a quick reminder that it helps to have a 6’10” wingspan. I’m not sure a lot of other guards get that rebound.

Towson was a really big, mature team. They looked like an old school big east team.

JWF may win a game on his own in the ACC but he is going to cost them some opportunities, too.

What is most encouraging is that this team really didn’t play all that well but still beat a halfway decent team. If the turnovers are trimmed from a historically awful level to just bad, they will be alright. I am officially predicting 3 wins for the super panthers in the acc.

Reactions: FireballZ
Marcus Carr near the end of the game was very encouraging. He was quiet-but not in a bad way- for most of the night. But he stepped up to make a big three and some great, great passes. His dish to Milligan was a thing of beauty. I hate to say it, but that play made me nervous. First I was so excited that he made such a great pass, then i was so scared becuase he was passing it to Milligan and i was afraid Milligan would mess it up. I’m not proud of that thought, but i wasn’t the only guy in the arena that was afraid Milligan wouldn’t execute.

I thought the crowd was very enthusiastic and actually pretty loud at times.

I’m surprised brown isnt getting more love. I dont know where yinz get your plus/minus stats, but browns plus minus had to be yuge (yuge!) last night. The team was noticeably better in the first half when he was in the game instead of peace

The turnovers are outrageous, but i’m Still kind of optimistic that over time, these mistakes will go away. Carr had 7 turnovers, and most of them were of the ghastly variety. There were a lot of ill advised passes, and one really perplexing turnover during an inbounds play late in the game while Towson was pressing. I think over time they will go away. But until they go away, things could get really ugly.

Kham Davis’s rebound at the end of the game was a quick reminder that it helps to have a 6’10” wingspan. I’m not sure a lot of other guards get that rebound.

Towson was a really big, mature team. They looked like an old school big east team.

JWF may win a game on his own in the ACC but he is going to cost them some opportunities, too.

What is most encouraging is that this team really didn’t play all that well but still beat a halfway decent team. If the turnovers are trimmed from a historically awful level to just bad, they will be alright. I am officially predicting 3 wins for the super panthers in the acc.
Milligan has played less minutes and has not been particularly well in the 1st half of games. He has picked it up late in games. Maybe he is still nursing the hamstring injury.

Kam Davis had made some very big plays that were the difference between victory and defeat in several games.

Brown looked much better down low than shooting the 3s that he did in previous games, (I know he has a reputation as a shooter)

Frame needs to be less carless with the ball and convert a higher percentage of his layups.

The team seems to have good chemistry. The freshmen are all showing flashes.

Last edited:
DT, you certainly have earned Dribbler Emeritus status. Dribble away when you wish!
DT puts a lot of thought and heart into the dribbles with one thought in mind, and that's to provide good insight and fun reading for the fans on this board. DT is as honest of a person we'll ever have as a fan on these boards and he does not deserve some of the crap people give him. His dribbles are missed by those of us that really care about Pitt hoops. I could never write down all the good and positive things about DT. Come and visit me (back row of section 125) before a game sometime and I'll talk all night long about him.

Brown is going to be a beast one he fills out some. I love how he dunks when he gets the opportunity, but he just isn't strong enough to finish through contact yet. He just bounces off of stronger big men right now. Peace and Terrell as 1-2 punch inside in 2-3 years could be really, really good if they can keep developing.

I heard the same thing. I think what he’s saying is, defense and rebounding should always be there(desire/effort driven). Offense(skill, execution, accuracy) is the variable that will vary like tonight.
They won because they hit shots; Carr’s big drive and dish to Millie, Kham’s 4, and Carr’s 3 when it counted and Towson didn’t.

I do think that is part of it.

Reactions: gary2
Brown is going to be a beast one he fills out some. I love how he dunks when he gets the opportunity, but he just isn't strong enough to finish through contact yet. He just bounces off of stronger big men right now. Peace and Terrell as 1-2 punch inside in 2-3 years could be really, really good if they can keep developing.

-I said this before. If Brown plays anywhere near consistently as what he did against Towson, we have something to look forward to. But I dont expect it.

-We beat Towson with 21 turnovers. Thats a positive and extreme negative for a young team.

-If anyone wants to look at a positive, we are 7-1 in our last 8.

-The college basketball field is insane weak this year.

-12-30 is the best slate of games maybe all season. If you like college basketball, this is the day to watch. And this is going to tell us to a degree who is real or a pretender. Nova at Butler, ASU at Arizona, A&M vs Bama, OU with Young vs TCU, FSU vs Duke, Miami at Pitt, just a great day with many interesting games. Shall little ASU beat Arizona and they arent ranked #1, their is something wrong in this world with bias. If OU smokes undefeated TCU, which I think they will, they should vault to Top 5, or Top 3.

It’s insane weak BECAUSE OF AAU and will continue to get weaker. Just my opinion. Nothing is taught. Kids aren’t taught the value of being coachable. Unselfishness is unrewarded. If you don’t like your playing time, you just quit and go to another team.

Nice win gentlemen!

Dixon coaches defense and rebounding. Those 2 things dont take nights off. He understands that. If you defend and rebound, you are in every game. If you can score at all, you have a chance to win. Dixon's problem was he never had enough offense to win in March when the level of play was amped up just a bit.

Dixon coaches defense and rebounding. Those 2 things dont take nights off. He understands that. If you defend and rebound, you are in every game. If you can score at all, you have a chance to win. Dixon's problem was he never had enough offense to win in March when the level of play was amped up just a bit.

-The 2003 and 2009 teams were good enough for a Final 4. The 2004 team was borderline. If TCU beats OU, Ill be on the Dixon train that his team is legit. TCU still hasnt played a game outside Texas yet and wont until January.... Im also expecting OU and Young is going to blow TCU's doors off in 6 days. We'll see...

-And Im begging for TCU to be in the same bracket as ASU. That game is going to be a laugher in the NCAA Tournament from what Ive seen so far. No hate toward Dixon or the Frogs, but call me skeptical they are actually good. They can prove it in Big 12 play. Next 5 games include 2 vs Oklahoma, Kansas, Baylor, and at Texas. We will see if TCU is for real or not real soon, and I dont care much either way whether they are, but Im interested to see if they get their ass beat or not vs real teams. Dixon gamed the rpi to a perfect T. I wish Pitt football would take a look in the mirror.

TCU still hasnt played a game outside Texas yet and wont until January

The odd thing about that is that no one expected a small town in Florida to secede from the state so that it could become a part of Texas, and then even after that happened it still took everyone by surprise when the Staples Center in LA did the same thing. I mean who would have thought that the home of the Lakers, the Clippers and the Kings would become a part of Texas? Probably had something to do with the state income tax, I would imagine.

You know, when you continue to get so many easily verifiable facts wrong it really does blow whatever meager credibility you have away.

The odd thing about that is that no one expected a small town in Florida to secede from the state so that it could become a part of Texas, and then even after that happened it still took everyone by surprise when the Staples Center in LA did the same thing. I mean who would have thought that the home of the Lakers, the Clippers and the Kings would become a part of Texas? Probably had something to do with the state income tax, I would imagine.

You know, when you continue to get so many easily verifiable facts wrong it really does blow whatever meager credibility you have away.

-So you took TCU based off pomeroy? Ill take OU and ASU over TCU and Arizona on the road. On the road. Time to find out who is real and fake... Im taking teams that are going on the road, again. Maybe that wake up call when ASU blew Kansas doors off on the road wasnt enough....

I bet some Oklahoma at 75-1 yesterday, I think there’s some value there and believe them capable of a deep run. They have the star in Young and the great coach in Kruger.

Arizona struggled early in the season, but I like how I see them progressing over the last couple weeks and ultimately they will be better than ASU by the end of the year.

-Arizona is undefeated with Alkins back. ASU doesnt have Lawrence, yet, their top recruit, and they have 2 freshmen that are all conference worthy already.

-OU is going to wax TCU imo. The Pac has been getting slammed in the press. Yet, they have 2 wins against Kansas, a win vs Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Kentucky, etcc..

-Still think ASU is underrated at 3rd....And with Alkins, Arizona wont lose much the rest of year. Taking both to go deep in the NCAA's, along with Oklahoma. All 3 have true firepower. If ASU is making 3's, no one in the country is beating them.

It's interesting because Stallings actually plays a more modern style of basketball that's more in line with how the game is trending. The philosophy is actually pretty sound.

But, when you're coaching at a non-traditional power P5 school and refuse to get your hands dirty, what kind of recruit that you build your program's philosophy around do you think will fall through the cracks more often, a great shooter or a great rebounder?

Probably the rebounder. It's why I thought Pitt needed to go back to grinding and playing a Tony Bennett style of basketball in order to succeed -- that's where the inefficiencies are.

It's worth noting that Stallings' defenses at Vanderbilt were pretty much around the same level as Pitt's, and in some cases better than Pitt's defenses, especially in recent years. Dixon's defenses were pretty leaky towards the end of his tenure at Pitt, and he's always been a guy whose offenses were more effective than his defenses. Stallings' defense at Pitt last year and his defense at Pitt this year are, by a healthy margin, the worst defenses he's put on the floor. Dixon's defenses started to be a bit up and down starting in 2011-12. His 2011-12 and 2014-15 defenses were brutal.

Stallings' defenses are interesting, as they tend to have a very high block%, an extremely low turnover%, an up-and-down rebounding rate, and a solid eFG% against.

Dixon's on the other hand, tended to have low block%, extremely low turnover%, a solid rebounding rate, and the eFG was a little more volatile.

Stallings seems to be a guy whose team rebounding is predicated on having players who are good rebounders, whereas Dixon's teams would crash the glass -- which, again, is a concept that's sort of fading away as the game progresses (but, again, I think that's what you need to do at a place like Pitt).

Last edited:
Reactions: FireballZ
-So you took TCU based off pomeroy? Ill take OU and ASU over TCU and Arizona on the road. On the road. Time to find out who is real and fake... Im taking teams that are going on the road, again. Maybe that wake up call when ASU blew Kansas doors off on the road wasnt enough....

This is the most fitting reply you could have made to Joe’s post. :eek:

I think Okie wins easily, but I think Zona may beat ASU at home even though ASU has had a super season so far.

As has been noted, this post is so far removed from what I posted that I feel that I need to spell things out for you, using as many small words as I can.

Your comment, which I quoted, was that TCU has not played a game outside Texas and will not play a game outside of Texas until January. My post was merely to point out to you that TCU played in a tournament earlier this year where they played two games, against New Mexico and St. Bonaventure, in Florida, and then they played a game against Nevada at the Staples Center, which the last time I checked was not in Texas but was in Los Angeles. So not only has TCU played games outside of Texas, they have played three of them.

You would think that someone who wants to use a "fact" as a damning piece of evidence in an argument would actually take the time to learn what the facts actually are.

As has been noted, this post is so far removed from what I posted that I feel that I need to spell things out for you, using as many small words as I can.

Your comment, which I quoted, was that TCU has not played a game outside Texas and will not play a game outside of Texas until January. My post was merely to point out to you that TCU played in a tournament earlier this year where they played two games, against New Mexico and St. Bonaventure, in Florida, and then they played a game against Nevada at the Staples Center, which the last time I checked was not in Texas but was in Los Angeles. So not only has TCU played games outside of Texas, they have played three of them.

You would think that someone who wants to use a "fact" as a damning piece of evidence in an argument would actually take the time to learn what the facts actually are.

-No P5 teams.

-No P5 teams.

If you keep moving the goalposts eventually you can find a way that your obviously wrong statement turns out to be correct.

The funny thing is that two of those teams are clearly better than us at this point, but it would have made their record look better if they played us instead of, say, Nevada, according to you.

But no one who understands college basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT