ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer visit - Chase Johnson

I watched his tape last night, looked like a great verticle, and nice looking stroke from 3.
Had a concussion

Reactions: Ronnyp91
Originally from West Virginia, class of 2017, but it doesn’t look we had too much interest under the old staff. Top-100 stretch 4 with the ability to rebound when healthy, but had a couple concussions and some health setbacks. Can’t help but think that the resources that would be available to him here at Pitt and UPMC would be a huge help to him and his recovery - the concussion folks at UPMC sports medicine are incredible, speaking from first hand experience.

But, with something like what he’s dealt with, it’s hard to say one way or another whether he’s still the same player. I’d sure rather we find that out with him in a Pitt uniform.

#85 2017 recruit. From WV. Picked Florida over WVU, VT, Tennessee. 6'9 PF 205 pounds (needs to add weight). Redshirted last year due to concussions. Couldnt get off the bench this season. Played only 12 minutes all season.

He could be a complete bust but with a kid ranked that high with those offers, I think you offer him. We need big bodies.

His parents were Poca Dots.

#85 2017 recruit. From WV. Picked Florida over WVU, VT, Tennessee. 6'9 PF 205 pounds (needs to add weight). Redshirted last year due to concussions. Couldnt get off the bench this season. Played only 12 minutes all season.

He could be a complete bust but with a kid ranked that high with those offers, I think you offer him. We need big bodies.

His parents were Poca Dots.

He had a concussion this season as well so injuries are definitely in play here.

But with the number of scholarships we will have, adding a talented player like this is a no brainer to me. Sure there is some risk of him never reaching his potential but it is a risk worth taking in my opinion.

Reactions: jctrack
His style of play would mesh very well here with the freshmen.

Last edited:
His style of play would mesh very well here with the freshmen.

Ryan Luther-like?

I like this guy because of how many scholaships we have to give...and I believe this kid would be eligible in mid-December and would only be a Freshman still. That tweet said he has 3 1/2 years left. With most Top 150 guys already signed/committed, it would be tough to get a kid this highly rated.

Last edited:
Nothing like Luther other than checking the same census box.

Johnson is springy and a much better athlete.

Ryan Luther-like?

I like this guy because of how many scholaships we have to give...and I believe this kid would be eligible in mid-December and would only be a Freshman still. That tweet said he has 3 1/2 years left. With most Top 150 guys already signed/committed, it would be tough to get a kid this highly rated.

http://www.gatorsports.com/2018/12/johnson-to-transfer-from-florida/

Excerpt:
Johnson, plagued with concussions the past two years, scored 23 points and had 12 rebounds in six total games. The Ripley, W.Va., native appeared in the first four games of the 2017-18 season before missing the remainder of the year under concussion protocol and was granted a medical redshirt. Johnson appeared in two games this season, but suffered another concussion in November.

If he's immediately available for some reason it would be 3.5 years.
Very good athlete but don't know about his toughness right now.Huggy wanted him to prep a year then other power 5's offered and he went to Florida.At the last minute Huggs offered without the prep but he turned him down.In my opinion he's worth a chance.bwdik

If he's immediately available for some reason it would be 3.5 years.

I would guess that people are assuming that he's going to get a second medical redshirt for this year which will allow him a sixth year. And while it seems like that may be a realistic assumption to make, it also still is an assumption because the NCAA wouldn't make a decision on something like that until after this season is over. There is no way that they have already told him that he qualifies for a sixth year, because that isn't how the process works.

However, IF he gets the second medical redshirt, then 3-1/2 years would seem to be right. Neither last season nor this one would count towards his four years. He'd have to sit out the first semester next year due to the transfer which would leave him with 3-1/2 years to play when he becomes eligible in December.

Reactions: levance2
His age and physical maturation plus exposure to this level - 2 years would be better, no? Hedge against continued health issue I'm thinking. Should be able to recruit a replacement. But if he would come with 3 plus, why not. Wishy washy post. Sorry.

Reactions: TreesHero
I would guess that people are assuming that he's going to get a second medical redshirt for this year which will allow him a sixth year. And while it seems like that may be a realistic assumption to make, it also still is an assumption because the NCAA wouldn't make a decision on something like that until after this season is over. There is no way that they have already told him that he qualifies for a sixth year, because that isn't how the process works.

However, IF he gets the second medical redshirt, then 3-1/2 years would seem to be right. Neither last season nor this one would count towards his four years. He'd have to sit out the first semester next year due to the transfer which would leave him with 3-1/2 years to play when he becomes eligible in December.
I am not assuming that at all. Him playing the second half of next year plus 2 more would be more than fine with me.

Reactions: jctrack
I am not assuming that at all. Him playing the second half of next year plus 2 more would be more than fine with me.

Amen! By the time he'd ever see the court, he'd have at least 2.5 years of college level training and skills development (when not limited by concussions). Over the years, we've seen plenty of 3rd year Pitt players (juniors or redshirt sophs) outplay 5-star freshmen.

I was referring to the people who think that he's going to get 3-1/2 years. Which apparently isn't you. Which means I wasn't referring to you.

I was referring to the people who think that he's going to get 3-1/2 years. Which apparently isn't you. Which means I wasn't referring to you.
And I just said that I wasn't assuming that, which just means I wasn't assuming that, which never mentioned you, which means I wasn't referring to you.

Get healthy, add some muscle, and take a flyer. It's hard to teach 6'9", but if you can get the health in a good spot, and get him physically ready might work out. I defer to a coaching staff - if they wanted him on an official visit, they must see something in his skill set that would fit the direction they want the program to go.

ADVERTISEMENT