ADVERTISEMENT

Tshiebwe to WVU

4upmc

Junior
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2017
No surprise with the pick. Wish his so called guardian would have gave Pitt a chance. With that being said he will thrive in the WVU system. Best rebounder in the country and no one plays harder.

Reactions: Mtman 69
It was a dogfight with KY. I doubt WV wins many of those battles, but in the end I think it was all about the relationship Huggs built with the kid since 2016. And Oscar fits perfectly with the style of play that WV runs with his length, aggressiveness and energy level. Oscar will be able to play PF (WV already has two very talented 5's) which should help him get ready for the League. I also think the FBI investigation has to help programs like WV and Pitt since it will scare off a lot of the money that flowed through AAU handlers.

So the kid must have passed on the bigger pay check. Kentucky has more to give than the hillbillies

7 years of trash Basketball is tough to overcome.. 2019 Recruiting looks like a Bust for Capel. 2018 was helped by Kids that reclassified who weren’t priority for the Big Boys..

Capel is looking like the Black Kevin Stallings..
I’m guilty myself of being a pessimist... but the man hasn’t even coached a game here yet. We’ll see.

It was a dogfight with KY. I doubt WV wins many of those battles, but in the end I think it was all about the relationship Huggs built with the kid since 2016. And Oscar fits perfectly with the style of play that WV runs with his length, aggressiveness and energy level. Oscar will be able to play PF (WV already has two very talented 5's) which should help him get ready for the League. I also think the FBI investigation has to help programs like WV and Pitt since it will scare off a lot of the money that flowed through AAU handlers.

Are you being serious???

$$$$$$$

No it is not helping Pitt. We just lost a kid to Miami, who is one of their biggest targets, Louisville is cleaning up. It doesn't matter.

Are you being serious???

$$$$$$$

If it was about money he’d be headed to UK. Huggs was in this kid long before anyone knew who he was. Oscar said he wants someone to push him everyday in practice to get better. And he’ll get exactly that with Huggs. Most importantly I just think Oscar felt most comfortable with Huggs. I just wish Sags would stick around after this year so the two could play together.

Reactions: cabe23
No surprise with the pick. Wish his so called guardian would have gave Pitt a chance. With that being said he will thrive in the WVU system. Best rebounder in the country and no one plays harder.

Tip your hat to Huggy..

Get out of here. Dude brings West African kids to Mercer County then Morgantown for free? There's big money in this. He and Tshiebwe are getting something. And credit to them and to WVU.

Oscar first attended Mountain Mission Academy in Gundy, Virginia. Huggs first saw him when he recruited Maciej Bender. That was over 3 years ago. That is when Huggs first started to recruit Oscar. Oscar decided to transfer for his junior and senior season. WVU had nothing to do with his choice. Huggs continued his recruitment and Oscar did not blow up until this past summer. Other big time schools got in very late. But the relationships had already been built. His brother is playing basketball in Ravenswood, WV. Given the FBI investigation, you'd have to be pretty stupid to start throwing money around. As Huggs has always said, he doesn't know how coaches can coach a kid if the kid has something on the coach that can get him fired. And given Huggs' style, I am sure he ticks off a lot of his players from time to time. Lastly, this is only WVU's second 5 star recruit in 11 years. If Huggs were somehow paying players you'd think his recruiting would be much better. We have averaged a 6th place finish in Big 12 recruiting over the past 5 years or so.

Oscar first attended Mountain Mission Academy in Gundy, Virginia. Huggs first saw him when he recruited Maciej Bender. That was over 3 years ago. That is when Huggs first started to recruit Oscar. Oscar decided to transfer for his junior and senior season. WVU had nothing to do with his choice. Huggs continued his recruitment and Oscar did not blow up until this past summer. Other big time schools got in very late. But the relationships had already been built. His brother is playing basketball in Ravenswood, WV. Given the FBI investigation, you'd have to be pretty stupid to start throwing money around. As Huggs has always said, he doesn't know how coaches can coach a kid if the kid has something on the coach that can get him fired. And given Huggs' style, I am sure he ticks off a lot of his players from time to time. Lastly, this is only WVU's second 5 star recruit in 11 years. If Huggs were somehow paying players you'd think his recruiting would be much better. We have averaged a 6th place finish in Big 12 recruiting over the past 5 years or so.
Thanks for joining the discussion. I know Oscar’s 1st HS HC very well and Majiec stayed at my house in AZ for two weeks this past Summer. I’m pretty familiar with how “The Game” works so let’s just leave it right there please and not make the WVU staff out to be the next coming of Tim Tebow. Congrats on picking up Oscar. He’s a monster. I’m also a big Huggs fan. Good guy. Great coach. That being said I’m hoping Jeff Capel and our Boyz pull the upset this year against ya’ll. H2P!

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Thanks for joining the discussion. I know Oscar’s 1st HS HC very well and Majiec stayed at my house in AZ for two weeks this past Summer. I’m pretty familiar with how “The Game” works so let’s just leave it right there please and not make the WVU staff out to be the next coming of Tim Tebow. Congrats on picking up Oscar. He’s a monster. I’m also a big Huggs fan. Good guy. Great coach. That being said I’m hoping Jeff Capel and our Boyz pull the upset this year against ya’ll. H2P!

If you know the story, then you know no money was involved from West Virginia. You don’t average sixth place recruiting in the big 12 if you are cheating.

We have a lot of new players and while we’re optimistic no one knows for sure how this team will gel. In a guard oriented game, losing two starting guards is hard to overcome. Should be a good game.

Of course the money doesn't come directly from West Virginia, that's what bag men are for.

You do if your campus is located in Morgantown.

Lol. I’m sure West Virginia has far more money than Kentucky has ever had. Nice try. Have you ever been to Waco, Stillwater, Lawrence, Norman, Ames, Manhattan or Lubbock? Not exactly what I would call wonderful places to visit. So your Morgantown argument doesn’t carry much weight.

You don’t average sixth place recruiting in the big 12 if you are cheating.

Just out of curiosity, why would you think this has to be true? It's not like he said that West Virginia is the only school in the Big 12 that is cheating. If all the schools in the Big 12 are cheating then what, exactly, would we expect West Virginia's recruiting to look like versus their conference brethren?

Reactions: Chescat
I really don't care if Huggy cheats or not I just want to know what he's offering !Come on Big Z tell us Huggy won't send a guy to put a horsehead in your bed if you tell.

Just out of curiosity, why would you think this has to be true? It's not like he said that West Virginia is the only school in the Big 12 that is cheating. If all the schools in the Big 12 are cheating then what, exactly, would we expect West Virginia's recruiting to look like versus their conference brethren?

You're making a huge assumption that all Big 12 schools cheat. Do all ACC teams cheat? I have seen more evidence of ACC manipulation (UL for example) including grades (UNC) than I have in the Big 12. As I tried to point out, if WVU is paying players money and we are mainly getting 3 star recruits with perhaps 1 4 star a year, we are getting very little for our money. Moreover, who says we are recruiting the same player as other Big 12 schools. I would argue that due to our location, we have little recruiting overlap with most other Big 12 schools. Lastly, as I pointed out Morgantown can't be the reason for us losing recruits when there is recruiting overlap in the Big 12 since most schools are not located in great metropolitan locations.

Huggs has relied heaving on getting on underrated players early and building relationships. Konate was not a highly touted recruit. I think WVU was Carter's only major offer. Huggs started on Oscar 3 years ago and was his first offer. The roster is littered with 3 star recruits and you don't pay money to get those since there are so many. Huggs does a masterful job of finding underrated kids that fit into what he is trying to do. That is why although our recruiting is very middling in the Big 12, we overachieve. I believe we got Oscar because he is a very good, deeply religious kid that appreciated the early offer and all the attention WVU gave to him and he stayed loyal.

If the shoe were on the other foot and Capel got a big time player, I think you would defend him against charges of paying players even though he had some history at OU.

Get out of here. Dude brings West African kids to Mercer County then Morgantown for free? There's big money in this. He and Tshiebwe are getting something. And credit to them and to WVU.

That is what I mean, it is highest bidder. Nothing to do with recruiting.

And no credit to them, this low morale guy is taking advantage of these kids. Thinks he cares if WVU is the best for Oscar??? Of course he doesnt. He just wants paid, and bring the next pay day to his house.

You're making a huge assumption that all Big 12 schools cheat

I am making no such assumption at all. I am merely asking a question. You said that the fact that WVU ranks 6th in recruiting is proof that they aren't cheating, because if they were cheating they would obviously rank higher. I tried, in kind of a polite way, to point out how moronic a statement that is. If everyone in the B12 were cheating then why, exactly, should we expect WVU to finish 6th, or anything else, in recruiting? If eight schools in the B12, including West Virginia, were cheating then why, exactly, should we expect West Virginia to finish 6th, or anything else, in recruiting?

The fact that West Virginia finished 6th in recruiting tells us nothing, literally nothing at all, about whether they are cheating or not. Especially if we don't know who or how many of the other schools are also cheating.

Reactions: centerave
Lol. I’m sure West Virginia has far more money than Kentucky has ever had. Nice try. Have you ever been to Waco, Stillwater, Lawrence, Norman, Ames, Manhattan or Lubbock? Not exactly what I would call wonderful places to visit. So your Morgantown argument doesn’t carry much weight.
Lawrence is actually lovely

That is what I mean, it is highest bidder. Nothing to do with recruiting.

And no credit to them, this low morale guy is taking advantage of these kids. Thinks he cares if WVU is the best for Oscar??? Of course he doesnt. He just wants paid, and bring the next pay day to his house.
Very well said Stache,Huggy is the scum of the earth and shouldn't be allowed to coach at any level!

I am making no such assumption at all. I am merely asking a question. You said that the fact that WVU ranks 6th in recruiting is proof that they aren't cheating, because if they were cheating they would obviously rank higher. I tried, in kind of a polite way, to point out how moronic a statement that is. If everyone in the B12 were cheating then why, exactly, should we expect WVU to finish 6th, or anything else, in recruiting? If eight schools in the B12, including West Virginia, were cheating then why, exactly, should we expect West Virginia to finish 6th, or anything else, in recruiting?

The fact that West Virginia finished 6th in recruiting tells us nothing, literally nothing at all, about whether they are cheating or not. Especially if we don't know who or how many of the other schools are also cheating.

As I stated, West Virginia rarely recruits against other big 12 schools. Yet we are still finish middle of the pack regarding recruiting. And you seem to ignore that the majority of our recruits are three star players. Hardly the talent requiring payment. Again, if West Virginia were cheating you would expect to see many more four and five star players on the roster. Since 2015, we have signed 18 players, 4 of which were 4 stars. Not the results you’d get if you were paying players.

Lawrence is actually lovely

You and I must have a different opinion of what is lovely. I’ve been to Lawrence several times. But it is KU, and Lawrence is illrelevant when it comes to basketball recruiting. UT and TCU are the only urban schools in the Big 12.

If you were debating this on an actual WVU message board you likely would find more people willing to agree with you.

In this case, a handler was calling the shots. Where there's handlers there is usually money. That's regardless of the level of school or recruit.

As I stated, West Virginia rarely recruits against other big 12 schools. Yet we are still finish middle of the pack regarding recruiting. And you seem to ignore that the majority of our recruits are three star players. Hardly the talent requiring payment. Again, if West Virginia were cheating you would expect to see many more four and five star players on the roster. Since 2015, we have signed 18 players, 4 of which were 4 stars. Not the results you’d get if you were paying players.

You and I must have a different opinion of what is lovely. I’ve been to Lawrence several times. But it is KU, and Lawrence is illrelevant when it comes to basketball recruiting. UT and TCU are the only urban schools in the Big 12.
Lawrence is a nice college town like chapel hill.

What does urban have to do with anything?

And you've proven to be extremely naive at best and more likely walk through the take me home mountain momma glasses singing country roads full tilt.

Did you really just say WVU has far more money than Kentucky has ever had? You've really got to clarify that statement, because as far as basketball money, it's not even close. UK is like #4 in basketball revenue where WVU isn't even in the top 25. If you want to talk overall, you'd be wrong there too. UK is in the top 15...WVU no where to be found, according to this
https://www.nationofblue.com/how-mu...-kentucky-athletics-earn-and-spend-last-year/

Good point!

Did you really just say WVU has far more money than Kentucky has ever had? You've really got to clarify that statement, because as far as basketball money, it's not even close. UK is like #4 in basketball revenue where WVU isn't even in the top 25. If you want to talk overall, you'd be wrong there too. UK is in the top 15...WVU no where to be found, according to this
https://www.nationofblue.com/how-mu...-kentucky-athletics-earn-and-spend-last-year/

I was being factitious. I clearly was making the point that if money were the issue, WVU could not compete with UK.

I was being factitious. I clearly was making the point that if money were the issue, WVU could not compete with UK.
That's what I thought, but had to be sure because you continue the stance that WVU doesn't throw $ at a player. Just because you don't have more or offered the most doesn't mean you didn't offer any...

ADVERTISEMENT