ADVERTISEMENT

Tuesday Night

Matt Steinbrink

Head Coach
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2002
Getting fun isn't it? First off, I just want to thank everyone for being patient with me. I know it gets crazy. With working about 55 hours a week plus trying to spend some time with my son, etc., it can become a lot. So I appreciate the patience.

Like I said, early part of the week would get crazy. That is what is happening. We should expect a decision from Hurley sometime within the next 24 hours. It could happen while I am typing this.

Here is where I think we are with this. As I reported, an offer was extended. I said weeks ago that the budget would be right at 3 + 1 for the staff. With Hurley, they seemed to juice his salary slightly. In that range, a lot of it is schematics. Regardless, a very strong offer was made. We knew that. I was told Hurley's side came back and asked for a very high number. Pitt then basically said sorry but this is the offer, take it or leave it. So that is where we are at - with the 3.2.

The vast majority of people still think Hurley will go to UConn. However, Pitt could still be a dark horse in this. This would be the scenario. It is very possible that Pitt has not been the preferred destination, but they are the best offer. So now we get into an interesting scenario. Let's say UConn is 2.5 and staff budget is a little lower. Rhode Island is up to almost 2. Now, does he come back to Pitt and say, "so about that offer you made.." I doubt it but it is possible. I would be shocked if UConn can present a better offer. It still can come down to fit and family preference. Money is not everything. We just don't know how far apart the offers are. Still think he ends up at UConn but this search is so crazy that nothing would surprise me.

Which brings us to the other options. Right now, that seems to be one guy. We have been over this and I apologize if you do not realize who 1A is right now. The momentum has swayed here with 1A, but there is a lot involved with that. Could it be the Hurley situation? Could it be details that came up last minute? Could it be a combination of both? All possible. I still contend that this is a scenario where they are still working on two possibilities. Not that is a surprise. They should be, along with others. There needs to be backup plans. With that being said, it is not that easy when agents, boosters, etc. are involved. To juggle multiple scenarios. That is what we have here, and the situations are fluid of course.

I am pretty sure that the Hurley side leaked the offer, as we are like two days late from the presentation of the offer. It just happens to be leaked right before his meeting with Rhode Island. That is the side I am on. We shall see. This is common practice, but usually not the offer part and details.

I notice a lot of people are excited about the offer. In my mind, it was a no brainer really. It just shows that she has the budget to work with and that Pitt is finally open to sitting at the big table. Now, we are still far from that because they need to close on one of these.

I keep hearing Musselman's name brought up and I don't see it. From what I have heard, he is basically positioning himself for one of the main Pac 12 jobs (UCLA, Arizona, USC).

Still think this is a two man race. Obviously she has others in mind but those names are not as clear right now. With that kind of budget, you can actually poach high major coaches from a lot of other schools. Or at least try.

Let's see where we are at tomorrow at this time. I think we will see the first domino well before then.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News