ADVERTISEMENT

TV for first 4 games announced

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Aug 31 vs Kent State - noon on ESPNU
Sep 7 @ Cincy - noon on ESPN or ESPN2
Sep 14 vs WVU - 3:30 on ESPN or ESPN2 (surprising since Nutting has a game at 6:40l
Sep 21 vs YSU - 3:30 on ACCNX

Can we go 3-0 vs Ohio?

Pirates are away on 8/31. Should have that Kent State game at night. I know playing at noon gets Pitt on ESPN U and tv money but it sucks. I don’t mind noon kickoffs in the fall, but those late August / early September noon games are a bitch with the heat.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
Pirates are away on 8/31. Should have that Kent State game at night. I know playing at noon gets Pitt on ESPN U and tv money but it sucks. I don’t mind noon kickoffs in the fall, but those late August / early September noon games are a bitch with the heat.

And its guaranteed to be 88 degrees and straight sun that day. ESPNU has become the lowest of the ESPN channels so its not a big surprise that Pitt couldn't land on ACCN. Kinda goes to show what we are thought of since the 3:30 and 7PM games are Syr/Ohio and GT/Georgia State. ESPN felt those games are better than Pitt/Kent.

Also surprised that ACCN is putting Cal, Stan, SMU on ACCNX instead of doing an ACCN quadruple-header. Every other conference plays 11AM games. Seems like a no-brainer to do 11, 2:30, 6, 9:30 games or stick with noon and do 12, 3:30, 7, 10:30. I was looking forward to the late-night Cal/Stan/SMU games since I'm usually at Pitt games or youth sports all day.

And its guaranteed to be 88 degrees and straight sun that day. ESPNU has become the lowest of the ESPN channels so its not a big surprise that Pitt couldn't land on ACCN. Kinda goes to show what we are thought of since the 3:30 and 7PM games are Syr/Ohio and GT/Georgia State. ESPN felt those games are better than Pitt/Kent.

Also surprised that ACCN is putting Cal, Stan, SMU on ACCNX instead of doing an ACCN quadruple-header. Every other conference plays 11AM games. Seems like a no-brainer to do 11, 2:30, 6, 9:30 games or stick with noon and do 12, 3:30, 7, 10:30. I was looking forward to the late-night Cal/Stan/SMU games since I'm usually at Pitt games or youth sports all day.
I’d guess 80-90% of the people that intentionally turn on ESPNU to watch Kent State at Pitt also live close enough to drive in for the day / night to watch it live if they care to do so. Nice for Pitt fans in Eastern PA or out of state I guess. It is also marginally good for visibility that general football fans and media that would flip through noon games and see Pitt. But I remember playing them for a night opener when Josh Cribbs was their QB and it was great.

Not too bad. That game against YSU should be a noon kickoff as well. Hate to waste a full day to watch Pitt beat up on a cupcake.

Not too bad. That game against YSU should be a noon kickoff as well. Hate to waste a full day to watch Pitt beat up on a cupcake.

3:30 isnt the best because it does kill your whole day but nothing is worse than noon. Kids cant go to noon games because every youth sporting event in America is scheduled between 9 and noon on Saturdays. Sometimes I wonder what they do in the south and midwest. Do they do youth sports on Sundays instead?

Actually the CW games are the last picks. Now there are some rules about which teams they can get stuck with each week, but ESPNU comes before the CW.

Not really. After ACC Network, the CW gets their pick and you rarely see an ACC game fall to ESPNU but in this case, there's no ACC games on CW in Week 1 because Washington State and Oregon State play at 6 and 9:30.

Not really. After ACC Network, the CW gets their pick and you rarely see an ACC game fall to ESPNU but in this case, there's no ACC games on CW in Week 1 because Washington State and Oregon State play at 6 and 9:30.

Yes, really.

The CW games are the old Raycom games. Raycom got their picks after ESPN and the ACC Network picked their games. The ACC contract with ESPN says how many games each season will be on ABC, ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU. It also says how many games will be on the ACC Network. The Raycom/CW games (and the streaming only games) are the leftovers after ESPN and the ACC Network have picked their games for the week.

Not only is an ESPNU game higher on the "pecking order" than a CW game, it's also higher than an ACC Network game. Now of course since ESPN also owns a part of the ACC Network, they work together to plan out which games make best sense on which channels. But those games are ALL selected before the CW gets it's games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT