ADVERTISEMENT

Tweet about ND and Oregon to Big Ten

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001

This guy runs a Maryland site and broke the Md to Big Ten story so it could be something or not. It would seem to make some sense. Get USC and UCLA, put pressure on ND. Then get them and add 1 more???

The good news if this is true is that it would mean the Big Ten and SEC added 5 teams who are not Clemson, FSU, Miami, or UNC, all of whom are major brands so maybe there is something to the grant of rights.

Werewolf's comment yesterday:
They might want just Oregon if Notre Dame accepts an invite and circle back to both Oregon and Washington if Notre Dame does not accept.
Basically, "You can come in, but your ugly friend has to wait outside until we see where we're at on capacity."

You are all witnesses to greatness and stuff.

Reactions: USN_Panther
Great article. I have said before that a GOR would get negotiated down but as this article indicates, the risk you take of losing in court may be too great. Lets say FSU and Clemson leave and they lose in court, their $100 million/year TV check goes to the ACC until 2036. It might just be too big of a risk to take which is why you see the Big Ten going after West Coast teams instead of Florida teams. Miami and FSU bring as much to the Big Ten as USC and UCLA when you factor in less travel and Florida recruiting vs SEC

Great article. I have said before that a GOR would get negotiated down but as this article indicates, the risk you take of losing in court may be too great. Lets say FSU and Clemson leave and they lose in court, their $100 million/year TV check goes to the ACC until 2036. It might just be too big of a risk to take which is why you see the Big Ten going after West Coast teams instead of Florida teams. Miami and FSU bring as much to the Big Ten as USC and UCLA when you factor in less travel and Florida recruiting vs SEC
Not only that but the ACC brings a lot of stability and comfort tonight only the current members with their grant and rights but two new members that they may pluck out of the big 12 or pack 10

Not only that but the ACC brings a lot of stability and comfort tonight only the current members with their grant and rights but two new members that they may pluck out of the big 12 or pack 10
Keep telling yourself this. Clemson and FSU are gone. It will be announced soon.

Reactions: rrdd2021
Most ND forum posters I read actually prefer joining the ACC over the big ten if they had to join a conference. They see much more of commonality with the ACC schools and don’t want to be associated with the big 10. If nd goes to ACC there isn’t much difference with big 10 on field products. They have larger alumni base being state diploma factories but that’s it

Nope they're going there. Sooner rather than later imo.

Within weeks or days Clemson and FSU will announce they are joining the SEC. Maybe Miami too who knows. The ACC is finished.
I don’t think it’s a done deal that those ACC schools are going to SEC.

In fact, I think it makes sense for both parties (those ACC schools and the B1G) for them to be in the B1G.

They WILL make more money in B1G versus SEC and the B1G could use the recruiting footprint down South.

Not many people are saying those schools go to B1G before SEC. I am.

Dan Wetzel, on his most recent podcast, said that USC to B1G was vital “in case Ohio State had any sort of wandering eye”. He said that the addition of USC likely allays that fear for other B1G schools.

Most ND forum posters I read actually prefer joining the ACC over the big ten if they had to join a conference. They see much more of commonality with the ACC schools and don’t want to be associated with the big 10. If nd goes to ACC there isn’t much difference with big 10 on field products. They have larger alumni base being state diploma factories but that’s it
LOL. That’s complete and utter horse$hit.

In fact, I think it makes sense for both parties (those ACC schools and the B1G) for them to be in the B1G.

They WILL make more money in B1G versus SEC and the B1G could use the recruiting footprint down South.

Dan Wetzel, on his most recent podcast, said that USC to B1G was vital “in case Ohio State had any sort of wandering eye”. He said that the addition of USC likely allays that fear for other B1G scschools
The Big Ten would want to be in the south but those schools would prefer the SEC. They'd go to the Big Ten if the SEC doesn't offer but if you're the SEC, can you afford to have the Big Ten in the south. Its really an interesting dance. The SEC doesn't want them as they dont bring new markets and takes recruits away from their schools but they dont want the Big Ten to have them either. The Big Ten wants them but doesn't want the SEC to get them because it makes recruiting down there tougher. So, in a weird way, its almost best if the Big Ten and SEC leave those teams alone and let them do their thing in a lesser league.

The Big Ten would want to be in the south but those schools would prefer the SEC. They'd go to the Big Ten if the SEC doesn't offer but if you're the SEC, can you afford to have the Big Ten in the south. Its really an interesting dance. The SEC doesn't want them as they dont bring new markets and takes recruits away from their schools but they dont want the Big Ten to have them either. The Big Ten wants them but doesn't want the SEC to get them because it makes recruiting down there tougher. So, in a weird way, its almost best if the Big Ten and SEC leave those teams alone and let them do their thing in a lesser league.
Ha! You wish.

So you’re arguing that they’ll just leave them alone as opposed to trying to get ahead of the other and be proactive.

You either really starve for positive affirmation or you’re delusional.

Ha! You wish.

So you’re arguing that they’ll just leave them alone as opposed to trying to get ahead of the other and be proactive.

You either really starve for positive affirmation or you’re delusional.
No, I don't think that but I could see it happening. More than anything is the GOR issue. Remember The Dude and the army of WV expansionistas saying the Big 12 was the greatest thing ever and are going to add every team because it signed a GOR. Well, they were half right because the GOR did prevent teams from leaving sooner

Reactions: Section 509
No, I don't think that but I could see it happening. More than anything is the GOR issue. Remember The Dude and the army of WV expansionistas saying the Big 12 was the greatest thing ever and are going to add every team because it signed a GOR. Well, they were half right because the GOR did prevent teams from leaving sooner
They were/are idiots laughed at by the fan base.

Notre Dame and the Big 10 are just working out the details of how scheduling would work within the conference. Notre Dame has to have three common opponents every year such as USC. The Big 10 will try and accommodate. Other wise the deal is done. This is going to happen very quickly. Then the Big will invite Oregon to make it 18 teams or invite an additional 2 teams to make it 20. They will be bigger than the SEC. The SEC will move to add teams also but the ACC GOR will cause some issues because it would end up in court.

and you can count on Oregon getting in to the Big 10 because if Phil Knight

Notre Dame and the Big 10 are just working out the details of how scheduling would work within the conference. Notre Dame has to have three common opponents every year such as USC. The Big 10 will try and accommodate. Other wise the deal is done. This is going to happen very quickly. Then the Big will invite Oregon to make it 18 teams or invite an additional 2 teams to make it 20. They will be bigger than the SEC. The SEC will move to add teams also but the ACC GOR will cause some issues because it would end up in court.

That seems to be what’s happening, but you got inside info or something?

My guess is that Notre Dame has no leverage at this point and the Big 10 might tell them that if you don’t jump on board now then our media package will be negotiated and finalized by August and then it’s too late. The television package for the big 10 was supposed to be announced several months back but was delayed. All due to the USC discussion. The ACC is probably putting a proposal together for Notre Dame to remain independent but with some strict language and a big payday provided that the ESPN deal for the ACC could some how get negotiated upward.

There is also some discussion about ACC money distribution being tweaked to the point that a Clemson might get more money than say Wake. Not sure about that but again, it’s about who moves the needle

This guy runs a Maryland site and broke the Md to Big Ten story so it could be something or not. It would seem to make some sense. Get USC and UCLA, put pressure on ND. Then get them and add 1 more???

The good news if this is true is that it would mean the Big Ten and SEC added 5 teams who are not Clemson, FSU, Miami, or UNC, all of whom are major brands so maybe there is something to the grant of rights.
I had confidence that Diane C would fall madly in love with me. But she didn’t.
Some guy, somewhere said something about somebody isn’t solid.
If ND goes it will be for money.
If Oregon goes, it will be because of Nike money.
Every move is about money.

i assumed the GOR could be broken in a heatbeat with a few good lawyers and a conference checkbook but maybe im under estimating this contract..

i assumed the GOR could be broken in a heatbeat with a few good lawyers and a conference checkbook but maybe im under estimating this contract..
I've always underestimated it. It could be broken but there is such massive risk in losing in court, you wonder.

Lets say FSU and Clemson want to go to the Big Ten. Their $100 million/year payout would have to be paid to the ACC. Could they work out a deal where say, they agree to pay the ACC half of their Big Ten revenue until 2036? I'd expect it to get worked out something like that.

My guess is that Notre Dame has no leverage at this point and the Big 10 might tell them that if you don’t jump on board now then our media package will be negotiated and finalized by August and then it’s too late. The television package for the big 10 was supposed to be announced several months back but was delayed. All due to the USC discussion. The ACC is probably putting a proposal together for Notre Dame to remain independent but with some strict language and a big payday provided that the ESPN deal for the ACC could some how get negotiated upward.

There is also some discussion about ACC money distribution being tweaked to the point that a Clemson might get more money than say Wake. Not sure about that but again, it’s about who moves the needle
And I wouldn’t be surprised if the new B1G contract and addition of ND is announced the week of the ND opener in Columbus.

Makes too much sense.

And I wouldn’t be surprised if the new B1G contract and addition of ND is announced the week of the ND opener in Columbus.

Makes too much sense.
Not really. Too much distraction. That game is big enough and doesn't need that. This stuff happens over the summer for a reason. If it happens, I'd expect it to done this month, maybe this week.

Only because he pumps money into Oregon football, not because of any Nike influence. Nike is 75% owned by shareholders other than Phil Knight. These folks don't care about Oregon football.

When all this shakes out at Pitt is left out in basically a tier 2 conference it’s going to feel like a pro sports team leaving for another city. What’s the point in putting money into a product if it’s reduced to FCS level? Really depressing.

Reactions: mas1021
Lets say FSU and Clemson want to go to the Big Ten. Their $100 million/year payout would have to be paid to the ACC. Could they work out a deal where say, they agree to pay the ACC half of their Big Ten revenue until 2036? I'd expect it to get worked out something like that.

That isn't how it would work, and I'm not sure why anyone would even think that.

If FSU and Clemson go to the Big Ten (and the grant of rights is upheld) there is no $100 million per year from the Big Ten, because FSU and Clemson won't be a part of the Big Ten television package. FSU and Clemson games will still be showed according to the ACC television contract, and FSU and Clemson would be paid by the ACC for those rights, just like they are now.

The grant of rights doesn't say "you can go elsewhere but we get all your money", the grant of rights says "we own all your television rights and they are a part of our contract, even if you leave". If you don't believe me, read the document for yourself.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
That isn't how it would work, and I'm not sure why anyone would even think that.

If FSU and Clemson go to the Big Ten (and the grant of rights is upheld) there is no $100 million per year from the Big Ten, because FSU and Clemson won't be a part of the Big Ten television package. FSU and Clemson games will still be showed according to the ACC television contract, and FSU and Clemson would be paid by the ACC for those rights, just like they are now.

The grant of rights doesn't say "you can go elsewhere but we get all your money", the grant of rights says "we own all your television rights and they are a part of our contract, even if you leave". If you don't believe me, read the document for yourself.
That's what I always thought but I've seen it explained another way recently.

Super Conferences are coming and will be set up like the NFL, with divisions and playoffs and giant payoffs. Take any scenario that you want. Money and TV are the final goals of all of these schools. Sooner than later probably. All the agreements will be nullified or set aside. Opening up the floodgates with transfers, NIL and pay for play will end athletics as we have known them forever. I look for a convention of all the Presidents and ADS with TV execs to work out details. Then of course once again. the cream will continue to flow to the top like it does today in all pro sports, money will continue to flow in the same direction. Major League and Minor Leagues will be the way it will end up.

Super Conferences are coming and will be set up like the NFL, with divisions and playoffs and giant payoffs. Take any scenario that you want. Money and TV are the final goals of all of these schools. Sooner than later probably. All the agreements will be nullified or set aside. Opening up the floodgates with transfers, NIL and pay for play will end athletics as we have known them forever. I look for a convention of all the Presidents and ADS with TV execs to work out details. Then of course once again. the cream will continue to flow to the top like it does today in all pro sports, money will continue to flow in the same direction. Major League and Minor Leagues will be the way it will end up.
Yea, I mean I see it like this

Big Ten East
PSU
Rutgers
Maryland
FSU
Miami

Big Ten Central
OSU
Michigan
MSU
Indiana
Purdue

Big Ten West
ND
USC
Stanford
Oregon
Nebraska

Big Ten North
Ill
NW
Min
Iowa
Wisky

Play every team in your division and 3 teams from each other division for 13 conference games.

I had confidence that Diane C would fall madly in love with me. But she didn’t.
Some guy, somewhere said something about somebody isn’t solid.
If ND goes it will be for money.
If Oregon goes, it will be because of Nike money.
Every move is about money.
This is such a dumb post I don't even know what to write about it. Please take a hiatus from here. Thanks.

Dan Wetzel, on his most recent podcast, said that USC to B1G was vital “in case Ohio State had any sort of wandering eye”. He said that the addition of USC likely allays that fear for other B1G schools.
I do a lot of work with a firm in Powell Ohio. They’re all OSU graduates, they will never leave the B1G. They were a charter school and the top dog in the conference.
The new media deal is expected to net each school $107M about $15M more the the SEC deal.
Add in that they absolutely love beating Michigan on a annual basis

I do a lot of work with a firm in Powell Ohio. They’re all OSU graduates, they will never leave the B1G. They were a charter school and the top dog in the conference.
The new media deal is expected to net each school $107M about $15M more the the SEC deal.
Add in that they absolutely love beating Michigan on a annual basis
I live in Powell. I am friends with many boosters and a colleague of mine is an influential donor (his family is “old money”).

I completely concede that it was “not likely” but the B1G had to absolutely respond with a big acquisition. USC absolutely meets that.

This is best case scenario for Ohio State. BTW, they absolutely will be voting for a playoff that includes the SEC. They don’t care if other conferences are in their playoff but the SEC and Ohio St (B1G) WILL be playing in some sort of playoff together…even if it’s a championship game after their respective “conference playoffs”.

Despite all of the money that B1G makes (and they WILL make more money than SEC), they have 1.5 programs that can compete with SEC. TOSU and USC…..and that includes ND when/if they join.

The domination will continue for the SEC and there’s nothing the B1G can do about it…..and my buddys know this.

What firm? It’s nearly a certainty that I know someone. Been here 20 years.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT