ADVERTISEMENT

Twitter battle about women's BB hire

This does belong on another board!

If the AI robots don't get us first.

Just trying to ring another different alarm bell in an attempt spread panic and spur some to book early for those flights to Mars.

Between Climate Change ( the earth going up in a ball of flames) and AI Robots some will be looking to get off the rock while Mrs Buffett and I head to the warm sands of the beach with will offer plenty of extra room!
LOL!

"it's five o'clock somewhere"

Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

By the way, one of the factors that research believe may factor
The studies show that the pay gap is about 3-8 cents when controlled for careers and work experience. When it is further controlled for specialties ("doctors" instead of breaking down by specialty) and employer (private sector vs. public) type it shrinks to about 3 cents. When it is left broader it grows to about 8 cents. Motherhood and tendency to be less assertive in asking for raises is almost entirely the driving force.

People who quote the $0.77-79 pay gap are unbelievably misinformed.

I assume you mean $.03-.08 per dollar? I would believe that. I haven't heard the $.77-.79 cents, but if you do mean per dollar, there is no way that's true.

I also agree that there are a variety of factors - I know one people are considering right now is that men are more willing to ask for raises than women. Frankly, to me, that's a problem women need to solve themselves.

I'm not saying that there aren't a variety of reasons for the pay gap, just that it DOES exist.

Reactions: Jpripper88
Yes!
Man made global warming or climate change is fake!

But the planet does change constantly due to lots of different factors.

So climate change is real and has been forever for lots of reasons!

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

o_O

A final note--Today I heard an employee of the National Science Foundation lament that women don't make up at least 50% of the Engineering profession despite attempts for a generation or longer to get more women into engineering.

There are many excellent competent women engineers--I have met and worked with quite a few over the years. However, the goal of having ~50% of engineers be women (because they are ~50% of the population) wont happen because most women simply aren't now and won't ever be interested in engineering as a profession. Their natural work/career preferences mostly lie elsewhere. Men and women are by nature different enough that engineering will always have a greater appeal to most men and a lesser appeal to most women---no mater how often we try to deny that reality.

A final note--Today I heard an employee of the National Science Foundation lament that women don't make up at least 50% of the Engineering profession despite attempts for a generation or longer to get more women into engineering.

There are many excellent competent women engineers--I have met and worked with quite a few over the years. However, the goal of having ~50% of engineers be women (because they are ~50% of the population) wont happen because most women simply aren't now and won't ever be interested in engineering as a profession. Their natural work/career preferences mostly lie elsewhere. Men and women are by nature different enough that engineering will always have a greater appeal to most men and a lesser appeal to most women---no mater how often we try to deny that reality.

Here's my question though: you say that men are more interested in engineering and that is "reality." My response is: why? I could argue that this is a case of how we, as a society, raise boys and girls and the types of things we emphasize with each.

Here's my question though: you say that men are more interested in engineering and that is "reality." My response is: why? I could argue that this is a case of how we, as a society, raise boys and girls and the types of things we emphasize with each.
Sure, if you also completely disregard base gender differences that are genetic and not societal. Woman are naturally more nurturing and caring. Men are naturally more analytical and less empathetic. There are no doubt societal norms that further those natural inclinations, but they are based on natural biology.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead

Buffet's 1st statement may either be false, true--or only partially true. It is still a subject of scientific debate as to how much of "global warming" is man made vs resulting from other natural causes. Those on the entirely or mostly man-made side of the argument currently appear to represent a significant majority in the scientific study of climate community. However, it is conceivable they still might eventually be proven to be in error (to a greater or lesser degree) as there remain a few prestigious climate scientist holdouts within that community who continue to disagree with the majority position.

Buffett's second and third statements are valid ones based on the geologic history of the planet.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead

This leads to the perennial "nature" vs "nurture" argument. I am convinced that both play a role in human development. I am also convinced that we have in recent times attempted to disregard the strong influence of the nature component while overemphasizing the nurture component. I don't believe this is an "either-or" issue. I believe that the underlying reality is that some minority of all women are more interested in STEM fields than the majority of women. Likewise, I believe some minority of men are interested in fields than majority of men are not (e.g., fine arts, sociology, nursuing, etc,) while the majority of men are not interested in these fields.

One can argue whether historic societal bias skews professions like engineers or nurses, but other things which are less overt are professions like human resources and social workers, which run heavily female. Jordan Peterson has interesting talks about gender imbalance in the work force.

Uber actually published a paper recently explaining why their pay algorithm which was supposedly bias-proof ended up paying men significantly more than women. tl;dr: men drive faster and are willing to drive in more lucrative hours of the day.

On the other hand and there's always another hand the profession that I'm in media, advertising, and PR is dominated by women.

HR professionals are mostly women, sales and marketing is a area dominated by women so there's lots of areas where women excel and other areas where men dominate.

There are lots of people and posters out there looking to creat a diversity issue, just waiting to be outraged about something/ anything that doesn't exist.
Sad isn't it.

"save a horse ride a cowboy"
Signed: Mrs Buffett
Go CSU Rams & PITT Panthers

Last edited:
Uber actually published a paper recently explaining why their pay algorithm which was supposedly bias-proof ended up paying men significantly more than women. tl;dr: men drive faster and are willing to drive in more lucrative hours of the day.

"Willing to" or "able to" drive those hours? A lot of the pay gap is about women doing unpaid domestic labor, i.e. child rearing, because there are more deadbeat dads than deadbeat moms. Even in two parent families, statistically there are more moms who take longer time off work or stay part time longer to take care of kids while the father returns to work. I don't know how to address it, but it's a real issue, and even exists in European countries that otherwise have better pay parity than the US.

Reactions: rrig5 and Ski11585
"Willing to" or "able to" drive those hours? A lot of the pay gap is about women doing unpaid domestic labor, i.e. child rearing, because there are more deadbeat dads than deadbeat moms. Even in two parent families, statistically there are more moms who take longer time off work or stay part time longer to take care of kids while the father returns to work. I don't know how to address it, but it's a real issue, and even exists in European countries that otherwise have better pay parity than the US.

Go read the study if you actually care why. I did.

Will do. Had just read one on Denmark, a country with very high levels of gender equality generally but still a wage gap for women with children (that didn't effect the pay of men with children), which is why it was fresh in my mind.

Fanbases tend to lag way behind the folks actually doing the hiring today. Exhibit one being the countless Steeler fans who don't just disagree with certain things Mike Tomlin does, as all fans find fault with their coaches, but the countless posts declaring him to be "the worst coach in the league", and only having a job because of diversity concerns. Of course if the Steelers had fired him after last season, he'd have been unemployed for about five minutes, as the owners are way ahead of the fans on these issues.

He'd be hired in 5 minutes because at least a dozen teams have terrible ownership. Still doesn't mean he isn't a baffoon or terrible game day coach.

How is an adult in a 2 parent home staying home by their own choice to raise a family an issue? It is not a thing that needs addressing. If that's what's driving all the wage gap issue it's sillier than I thought. People make choices, and people have to face the consequence of their choices. People want consequence free choices, which is silly and not something that needs a safety net.

Reactions: Jpripper88
How is an adult in a 2 parent home staying home by their own choice to raise a family an issue? It is not a thing that needs addressing. If that's what's driving all the wage gap issue it's sillier than I thought. People make choices, and people have to face the consequence of their choices. People want consequence free choices, which is silly and not something that needs a safety net.

Yep--you are correct. It is only an issue for those with an egalitarian mind set who want equal outcomes vs merely equal opportunity regardless of personal human variations in biology, upbringing, ability, interests, effort and personal life decisions.

You're kidding right? There are a ton of studies proving that the gender pay gap is real.

That is simply not true. There is not a single authentic study that shows such a thing, once you account for differences in jobs and experience. Two people with the same job and the same experience and qualifications are simply not paid differently in the real world.

Think about it rationally. If an employer could hire a women to do the exact same job as a man, to the exact same level of quality, but for lower pay, the employer would do that every single time. Men would be unemployable.

Women on average do make less than men. But that is do to several things from choosing lower paying careers, taking less risks in their career choices, taking more time off from the workforce, working less overtime, and many other socio-economic reasons. But women are not paid less to do the same job as men. That is a myth, completely and totally and continually spreading that myth does far more harm than good in helping advance equality.

That is simply not true. There is not a single authentic study that shows such a thing, once you account for differences in jobs and experience. Two people with the same job and the same experience and qualifications are simply not paid differently in the real world.

Think about it rationally. If an employer could hire a women to do the exact same job as a man, to the exact same level of quality, but for lower pay, the employer would do that every single time. Men would be unemployable.

Women on average do make less than men. But that is do to several things from choosing lower paying careers, taking less risks in their career choices, taking more time off from the workforce, working less overtime, and many other socio-economic reasons. But women are not paid less to do the same job as men. That is a myth, completely and totally and continually spreading that myth does far more harm than good in helping advance equality.
I can tell you that I was accidentally forwarded an email with pay rates of my peers and me. The men with less experience, working in the exact same position, were paid more than the women who had more experience. So it does exist at least in my work place.

Reactions: rrig5
I can tell you that I was accidentally forwarded an email with pay rates of my peers and me. The men with less experience, working in the exact same position, were paid more than the women who had more experience. So it does exist at least in my work place.

Then you work at a crappy company. I know the salaries of all 25 people who work for me at a hospital and gender has zero impact on salary.

I also hate when people complain about single parent households. This was usually a choice you made, you had a kid before getting married and you knew the sperm donor was not going to be around. This is true in most cases. You should have gone to the health dept and got your birth control before sleeping with the deadbeat.

Then you work at a crappy company. I know the salaries of all 25 people who work for me at a hospital and gender has zero impact on salary.

I also hate when people complain about single parent households. This was usually a choice you made, you had a kid before getting married and you knew the sperm donor was not going to be around. This is true in most cases. You should have gone to the health dept and got your birth control before sleeping with the deadbeat.
I didn't say that I worked for a great company-I was just showing an example that it does still exist for those in denial.

This is a profoundly terrible take. Delete your account.

Reactions: rrig5 and Chaos
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT