ADVERTISEMENT

UCF has a path

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Its not likely but not impossible

1. Northwestern wins Big Ten Championship. Mich/OSU would have 2 losses. However, this is the most unlikely of all the things that has to happen.

2. Oklahoma has to lose in Morgantown or vs Texas in Arlington.

3. Alabama wins SEC Championship. UGa and LSU would have 2 losses.

4. Washington State has to lose vs Washington or Utah.

Would a 12-0 UCF team really get left out in favor of a 2-loss Big Ten or SEC team? Would we see a Bama/LSU snoozer in the Cotton Bowl? I'd rather watch the Dollar General Bowl than that.

Last edited:
The AAC and others might as well create their own playoffs because they never had a chance at this one. If you are not in a P5 league or ND you have zero chance regardless of how good you are.

1. Northwestern wins Big Ten Championship. Mich/OSU would have 2 losses. However, this is the most unlikely of all the things that has to happen.

Would a 12-0 UCF team really get left out in favor of a 2-loss Big Ten or SEC team? Would we see a Bama/LSU snoozer in the Cotton Bowl? I'd rather watch the Dollar General Bowl than that.

Most years I would agree, but this year I am not so sure. Other than Bama all teams have their warts. I was more impressed by UCF than anyone we played this year and that includes a team that looks to end up in the top 4.
Because they beat us when we stunk doesn’t make them great.

There is a reason they are at 11 in the rankings

If their path came to fruition, then Pitt will have played 3/4 of the teams in the playoff.

Seriously what is with your love affair with UCF? They are a good team not a great team. They are lucky they played Pitt when they did because I don't give them better than 50/50 vs Pitt today. Hell as bad as Pitt was early in this season, if it was for refs Pitt would have been in striking distance when we played.

Here is a list of current teams that would beat UCF 8 times or more out of 10.

ACC
Clemson

SEC.
Bama
Georgia
LSU

Big 12
Texas
OU
WVU

Big 10
Mich
OSU

PAC12
Washington St

Independent
ND
Don't laugh Army would run all over them

Again these are teams that if they played each other in a 10 game series the teams I mentioned would win at least 8 of them. If I was to list schools who would win 5 to 7 I would be listing probably another 15 more teams. They are a good team, probably ranked a top 15 team but they are not a top 10 let alone a top 4 team.

Three more scenarios........and Pitt is playing Alabama

Why did you stop there?

Let’s be realistic
3 spots are filled
Alabama, notre dame and Clemson are locks ,

Only way Clemson misses is by losing both to usc and Pitt.

Then you gave Michigan, Oklahoma, and Georgia vying for the 4th spot.

Only if Ohio state beats Michigan do they miss... and then they still might.

If Georgia upsets bama they are in.

Wash state and LSU both in before ucf.

Let this fantasy die

It's a shame that Wash St got jobbed by the refs against USC. They should have 0 losses.

Remember everyone being excited about Washington a few years ago and then they ran in to the Alabama train. Yea, since then if you aren't a blue blood your not welcome in.

Last edited:
Reactions: freddietee511

Since college football is not a real sport and it's about TV ratings and who travels well, I'd think UCF would be more interesting than seeing 2 loss teams trying to avoid a 3rd loss. I'd be more hyped to watch to see how they do? UCF BEATING Auburn last year was the only bowl game I watched all the way through because of precisely everyone saying they can't compete.

[QUOTE="Sean Miller Fan, post: 2495042, member: 704"]Its not likely but not impossible

Would a 12-0 UCF team really get left out in favor of a 2-loss Big Ten or SEC team? Would we see a Bama/LSU snoozer in the Cotton Bowl? I'd rather watch the Dollar General Bowl than that.[/QUOTE]

"Its not likely but not impossible"

That the earth is flat.

Reactions: paulbl99
UCF should be in the hunt to play for the National Championship, best team we played this year.

Not any good, really?

There are about 5 teams that would get a nod before UCF is even part of the conversation for the CFP as a top 4 team. Some of those teams would have 2 losses and they'd all be better than UCF. I agree....those teams that aren't in the P5 should construct their own playoff system. This one isn't for them.

Let’s be realistic
3 spots are filled
Alabama, notre dame and Clemson are locks ,

Only way Clemson misses is by losing both to usc and Pitt.

Then you gave Michigan, Oklahoma, and Georgia vying for the 4th spot.

Only if Ohio state beats Michigan do they miss... and then they still might.

If Georgia upsets bama they are in.

Wash state and LSU both in before ucf.

Let this fantasy die

I would argue that if Clemson loses to Pitt in the ACC championship game, then they are out. Doesn't mean UCF is in though...

I think 1 loss gets them in.
But we’ll see

It would depend on what else happens....but I would think OU would pass them assuming they win out. OU has to play WVU at Morgantown and most likely Texas again. Two additional quality wins would give them a better portfolio than Clemson.

UCF dreamers don't realize just how many teams they have to pass up. It's not going to happen.

UCF has almost no chance to get in, the path doesn’t exist.

If you think it does you can get 500-1 minimum odds on them to win the title, I’m sure some places have it higher.

2017 UFC > 2018 UCF by a wide margin.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
I don't think Clemson gets in if they lose to Pitt unless ND or Michigan or Ohlahoma lose.

For those saying UCF is not very good you’re simply incorrect. To win 24 in a row against soup cans is impressive let alone other CFB teams. Their not making the playoffs and the caliber of team they are do not have to be synonymous.

For those saying UCF is not very good you’re simply incorrect. To win 24 in a row against soup cans is impressive let alone other CFB teams. Their not making the playoffs and the caliber of team they are do not have to be synonymous.

The wins they had last year are absolutely immaterial to the discussion of them getting in this season.

They were way, way better last year and it’s not even that close. I’m not even sure they’re the best team outside the P5 right now.

The wins they had last year are absolutely immaterial to the discussion of them getting in this season.

They were way, way better last year and it’s not even that close. I’m not even sure they’re the best team outside the P5 right now.

This is utterly insupportable. I cannot even fathom what you think you're using to justify this. We've played 10 games and a whopping 2 of them were close, with only 1 being REALLY close. That's to a Memphis team that has been in and out of the Top 25 for the past 3 years.

We just played a 9-1 Top 25 team and ran them off the field.

I guess I don't have to remind you that we also ran the ACC Coastal champs off the field. That's NOT a slight on Pitt but rather a commentary on UCF's team and talent.

The only reason our scores aren't more gaudy is because Heupel has a fundamental different take on running up the score than Frost had. As we saw last night, he's 100% content to run the ball and chew clock with a lead. We could have hung 50 last night but it doesn't matter to CJH.

This is utterly insupportable. I cannot even fathom what you think you're using to justify this. We've played 10 games and a whopping 2 of them were close, with only 1 being REALLY close. That's to a Memphis team that has been in and out of the Top 25 for the past 3 years.

I guess I don't have to remind you that we also ran the ACC Coastal champs off the field. That's NOT a slight on Pitt but rather a commentary on UCF's team and talent.

The only reason our scores aren't more gaudy is because Heupel has a fundamental different take on running up the score than Frost had. As we saw last night, he's 100% content to run the ball and chew clock with a lead. We could have hung 50 last night but it doesn't matter to CJH.
You aren’t good enough.
Accept this

There are about 5 teams that would get a nod before UCF is even part of the conversation for the CFP as a top 4 team. Some of those teams would have 2 losses and they'd all be better than UCF. I agree....those teams that aren't in the P5 should construct their own playoff system. This one isn't for them.

OK, who gets to play Bama as the #4 seed if these are the available teams?

12-0 UCF
11-2 Mich
11-2 OSU
11-2 UGa
10-2 LSU
11-2 WVU
11-2 OU
11-2 WSU

Do we get a Bama rematch? What could be more thrilling than a Bama/LSU Cotton Bowl?

Memphis, USF, and Navy are bad this year.

You guys were very lucky to win the Memphis game and struggled mightily with Navy.

Obviously as a fan you’ve watched them the past 2 seasons. There is no way you can say that this years team is anywhere near as good as last years edition. It’s not even comparable.

Actually Northwestern Winning the BIG is not at all unlikely. Especially if tOSU knocks off Michigan. tOSU sucks.

Reactions: Jakey_John
OK, who gets to play Bama as the #4 seed if these are the available teams?

12-0 UCF
11-2 Mich
11-2 OSU
11-2 UGa
10-2 LSU
11-2 WVU
11-2 OU
11-2 WSU

Do we get a Bama rematch? What could be more thrilling than a Bama/LSU Cotton Bowl?

I'd say Mich. is most likely, then OSU and possibly LSU or OU. But definitely not UCF.

8112187011-steep-trail-wooden-ladder-mountain-hiking.jpg

It's an easy path to the CFP for UCF.

Last edited:
It's not about being good enough- they are blackballed from competing.

@ADavidHaleJoint
·
5h

In the playoff era, there have been 16 teams that entered bowls with a record of 6-1 or better vs. 7+ win opponents. 15 of those teams made the playoff. The one that didn’t? UCF last year. If UCF wins out, they’ll be 6-0 vs 7+ win teams this year, too.

You aren’t good enough.
Accept this

Reactions: Pitt79
It's not about being good enough- they are blackballed from competing.

@ADavidHaleJoint
·
5h

In the playoff era, there have been 16 teams that entered bowls with a record of 6-1 or better vs. 7+ win opponents. 15 of those teams made the playoff. The one that didn’t? UCF last year. If UCF wins out, they’ll be 6-0 vs 7+ win teams this year, too.

Some of those 7 win teams are having down seasons this year, their conference as a whole was lousy this season. When Temple (maybe Houston) is the 2nd best team in your conference there’s not much you can say.

Had it been an 8 team playoff last year I think UCF would’ve belonged. This season I don’t think they are one of the best 20 teams in the country.

Some of those 7 win teams are having down seasons this year, their conference as a whole was lousy this season. When Temple (maybe Houston) is the 2nd best team in your conference there’s not much you can say.

Had it been an 8 team playoff last year I think UCF would’ve belonged. This season I don’t think they are one of the best 20 teams in the country.
I usually agree w/ a lot of your takes, but UCF not a top 20 team? That is stupefying...although, you've been very consistent in your pessimistic view of them all year. Doesn't feel very subjective to me. I'm guessing they cost you some coin in the past and you're holding a grudge ;)

Wins over teams with 7+ victories:

Clemson, 7 Bama, 5 UGA, 5 ND, 4 UCF, 4 Mich, 3 Ohio St, 1 Okla, 1

Wins vs. 7-win P5 teams:

Clemson, 6 Bama, 4 UGA, 4 ND, 4 Mich, 3 UCF, 1 Ohio St, 1 Okla, 0

If we are going to criticize their schedule; everyone else's should be as well. They should have been in the mix last year as well as this year.

Based purely on opinion and bias against non-power 5 teams. UCF beat Auburn, which beat Bama,

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT