ADVERTISEMENT

UEFA to invade the USA

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
Why have we not discussed this? I like to think I’m fairly up on all things, and I haven’t heard about this.

evidently starting in 2024, the Champions League winner and 3 other major clubs will come to the US annually for a mini tourney before the season. This will replace the Super Cup, or at least move the UCL winner away from the Super Cup and it will instead put the Europa winner vs the Europa Conference winner.

additionally Greenland is joining Concacaf. I guess UEFA doesn’t want them.

Why have we not discussed this? I like to think I’m fairly up on all things, and I haven’t heard about this.

evidently starting in 2024, the Champions League winner and 3 other major clubs will come to the US annually for a mini tourney before the season. This will replace the Super Cup, or at least move the UCL winner away from the Super Cup and it will instead put the Europa winner vs the Europa Conference winner.

additionally Greenland is joining Concacaf. I guess UEFA doesn’t want them.
Its basically exhibition though so not terribly exciting. If they played the CL Final within 8 hours of here, I'd go.

Greenland to CONCACAF is awesome though. I'd seriously watch like Greenland vs Virgin Islands on ESPN+ or whatever.

• Haha
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Its basically exhibition though so not terribly exciting. If they played the CL Final within 8 hours of here, I'd go.

Greenland to CONCACAF is awesome though. I'd seriously watch like Greenland vs Virgin Islands on ESPN+ or whatever.
Except that it kind of is exciting. The Super Cup is still a trophy that clubs take pride in winning. So while it’s a late August preseason match, it carries more weight than a straight up exhibition. So whatever trophy that accompanies the winner of this new tourney gives this tourney some gravitas. I like it. Charlotte is kinda a second home city for me these days. But I have no interest in squeezing the Chelsea exhibition into my schedule next month. But if it were for a Super Cup equivalent trophy, I was would absolutely go. No question.

As far as Greenland be Virgin Islands, sign me up!!! That could sell out Jerry World.

Except that it kind of is exciting. The Super Cup is still a trophy that clubs take pride in winning. So while it’s a late August preseason match, it carries more weight than a straight up exhibition. So whatever trophy that accompanies the winner of this new tourney gives this tourney some gravitas. I like it. Charlotte is kinda a second home city for me these days. But I have no interest in squeezing the Chelsea exhibition into my schedule next month. But if it were for a Super Cup equivalent trophy, I was would absolutely go. No question.

As far as Greenland be Virgin Islands, sign me up!!! That could sell out Jerry World.
Yea, the Super Cup or the Community Shield or something along those lines is better than an exhibition but doesn't really move the needle. Heck, City vs RM or whatever in July with no 1st teamers moves the needle more. They have to do a better job of bringing meaningful matches here since we export regular season pro games to Europe all the time in the 4 major American sports.

People live in Greenland? Who knew
56,000 people, the size of Lebo and USC combined. And they will have the same 1 FIFA vote as the USA, England, Germany, Brazil, etc. And you wonder why bribes are paid to these countries. There's a few folks in Greenland about to get very rich.

BTW, I guess they wanted to join UEFA but Denmark blocked them since they aren't a sovereign state. But why does the UK have 4 teams? I dont understand FIFA rules. Puerto Rico, Guam, Virgin Islands, etc are US territories but can theoretically make the World Cup. Yet, French Guiana, Martinique, and Guadeloupe cannot.

56,000 people, the size of Lebo and USC combined. And they will have the same 1 FIFA vote as the USA, England, Germany, Brazil, etc. And you wonder why bribes are paid to these countries. There's a few folks in Greenland about to get very rich.

BTW, I guess they wanted to join UEFA but Denmark blocked them since they aren't a sovereign state. But why does the UK have 4 teams? I dont understand FIFA rules. Puerto Rico, Guam, Virgin Islands, etc are US territories but can theoretically make the World Cup. Yet, French Guiana, Martinique, and Guadeloupe cannot.
I guess if Greenland joins Concacaf that ends your desire for the US to buy Greenland so that we can join UEFA.

• Haha
Reactions: Pitt79
I guess if Greenland joins Concacaf that ends your desire for the US to buy Greenland so that we can join UEFA.
Not necessarily. It seems as if Greenland would have been allowed in UEFA if Denmark didn't block them. So if we buy 🇬🇱, we still could make a claim that the USA has territory in the UEFA zone. Honestly though, with or without Greenland, if USA wanted UEFA and UEFA wanted USA, it would happen.

Don't know about the other 2, but French Guiana isn't really a territory of France. It is pretty much part of France, I forget the exact classification. They even use the euro and are part of the EU. France considers it's longest land border the one French Guiana has with Brazil.

Don't know about the other 2, but French Guiana isn't really a territory of France. It is pretty much part of France, I forget the exact classification. They even use the euro and are part of the EU. France considers it's longest land border the one French Guiana has with Brazil.
That stuff is confusing. Curacao is another one. Its an overseas department of the Netherlands but can theoretically qualify for a World Cup.

ADVERTISEMENT