ADVERTISEMENT

UNC Game In Chapel Hill & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** This was one great game in Capel Hill, don’t you think?

** I’ll bet the folks wearing Carolina Blue really have had their share of Jeff Capel.

** Twenty eight years ago, he hit a legendary three point runner buzzer beater to tie the Heels. And now he’s gone into the Dean Dome and won three straight times, including 5 of his last 6 against UNC overall .

** A little less than a year ago, most Pitt fans had their share of Jeff Capel.

** About 10 months later, it feels more like we just can’t get enough.

** I’m not going to suggest that Capel made any stellar decisions to get the best of Hubert Davis this night. But what is becoming clearer and clearer is how much Capel has his men believing in each other and believing in themselves.

** There were plenty of things the Panthers didn’t do well tonight that will often cost a team a game. They gave up offensive rebounds, had a couple of untimely late turnovers, and missed front ends of one on ones.

** They also ran some fairly awful looking offensive sets, the most ugly being the ghost pass out of the zoom screen. That’s kind of tough to do.

** But they did even more things to win it of course, most notably by defending Carolina when it was needed most. And that’s not to say that the Panthers didn’t defend pretty well all game long.

** Against Wake, the Panthers were letting it fly freely from three to get a win. Today, it was a triumph via the grind. Coming away victorious in two totally different games within eight days of each other is a mark of the well prepared team and a well coached team.

** Even more than that, the Panthers look like a really confident team. And confident teams are typically really good teams.

** It’s almost fascinating how our players are seemingly drawing straws to learn who is going to be the offensive star every different night. How many Pitt fans would have called this as a win if they would have known that Blake Hinson would score just two or Greg Elliot would hit just one three?

** But no problem, as this was Nelly’s night, Nike actually made a huge impact on the glass, and Fede defended Bacot as well as anyone can.

** Don’t you just love it that the guy who was 10-43 from three in his previous 9 games was 5-6 today? Those are the kind of results teams get when they have a coach who believes in them through their tough times and their mistakes so much so that they never lose a belief in themselves.

** Still, there’s no doubt that Jamarius will always draw the straw that stirs the drink. What fascinated me about Burton is that he didn’t have a single assist after chalking up 32 of them in his last 4 games. So, it should be fairly obvious that he's not selfish. Instead, it was fairly obvious to Jamarius that they way we needed to score today was beating the Heels one on one.

** And down one, Jamarius had absolutely no doubt what he needed to. With that he found his way to the line and the Panthers find themselves at 9-3 in the ACC.

** On the other end, Carolina finds themselves tied for fifth in the conference. Despite all their talent, often they don’t look like a confident team. And there were many times during this game when they looked like they were poised to stretch it out against us, but they just failed to hit one more needed shot and make one more needed play.

** Of course, our Panthers had a little to do with that too.

** Perhaps now, we can relax a little bit and take our mind off the fact that bracketologists far and wide have us sitting nervously among the last four in.

** Instead, maybe we fans should confidently believe that we are a legit NCAA Tournament Team. Why not? Our Coach and players obviously do.

** Right about now, I’m guessing our players are getting ready to board a plane at Horace Williams Airport for what I’m sure will be an incredibly fun flight home. I hope so, because they deserve it.

** I can only wonder if the Panthers keep this road winning streak going against North Carolina if they will need to change the name to Jeff Capel Airport. Naa …

** Congrats to our Team and Staff on a great win tonight!

I love your comment "Capel Hill"!!

I had to go back and edit my "Moe-observations" post to include how well Federico Squared played D vs Bacot

There weren't many points scored in what is usually a game that has a final score in the high '70's/low '80's

Pitt is now 11-2 when leading at the half, and UNC is under .500 when they are behind. Who's the better team? No doubt, Pitt

** I’ll bet the folks wearing Carolina Blue really have had their share of Jeff Capel.

** Twenty eight years ago, he hit a legendary three point runner buzzer beater to tie the Heels. And now he’s gone into the Dean Dome and won three straight times, including 5 of his last 6 against UNC overall .

** I’m not going to suggest that Capel made any stellar decisions to get the best of Hubert Davis this night. But what is becoming clearer and clearer is how much Capel has his men believing in each other and believing in themselves.

** There were plenty of things the Panthers didn’t do well tonight that will often cost a team a game. They gave up offensive rebounds, had a couple of untimely late turnovers, and missed front ends of one on ones.

** They also ran some fairly awful looking offensive sets, the most ugly being the ghost pass out of the zoom screen. That’s kind of tough to do.

** But they did even more things to win it of course, most notably by defending Carolina when it was needed most. And that’s not to say that the Panthers didn’t defend pretty well all game long.

** Against Wake, the Panthers were letting it fly freely from three to get a win. Today, it was a triumph via the grind. Coming away victorious in two totally different games within eight days of each other is a mark of the well prepared team and a well coached team.

** Even more than that, the Panthers look like a really confident team. And confident teams are typically really good teams.

** It’s almost fascinating how our players are seemingly drawing straws to learn who is going to be the offensive star every different night. How many Pitt fans would have called this as a win if they would have known that Blake Hinson would score just two or Greg Elliot would hit just one three?

** But no problem, as this was Nelly’s night, Nike actually made a huge impact on the glass, and Fede defended Bacot as well as anyone can.

** Don’t you just love it that the guy who was 10-43 from three in his previous 9 games was 5-6 today? Those are the kind of results teams get when they have a coach who believes in them through their tough times and their mistakes so much so that they never lose a belief in themselves.

** Still, there’s no doubt that Jamarius will always draw the straw that stirs the drink. What fascinated me about Burton is that he didn’t have a single assist after chalking up 32 of them in his last 4 games. So, it should be fairly obvious that he's not selfish. Instead, it was fairly obvious to Jamarius that they way we needed to score today was beating the Heels one on one.

** And down one, Jamarius had absolutely no doubt what he needed to. With that he found his way to the line and the Panthers find themselves at 9-3 in the ACC.

** On the other end, Carolina finds themselves tied for fifth in the conference. Despite all their talent, often they don’t look like a confident team. And there were many times during this game when they looked like they were poised to stretch it out against us, but they just failed to hit one more needed shot and make one more needed play.

** Perhaps now, we can relax a little bit and take our mind off the fact that bracketologists far and wide have us sitting nervously among the last four in.

** Instead, maybe we fans should confidently believe that we are a legit NCAA Tournament Team. Why not? Our Coach and players obviously do.

** Right about now, I’m guessing our players are getting ready to board a plane at Horace Williams Airport for what I’m sure will be an incredibly fun flight home. I hope so, because they deserve it.

** I can only wonder if the Panthers keep this road winning streak going against North Carolina if they will need to change the name to Jeff Capel Airport. Naa …

Get someone to make some Capel Hill shirts. That's great. 3 in a row there.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
I think now we can turn the page on the NCAAT and start concentrating on the next goal of winning the conference as that is within reach since Clemson is struggling with players out now and we have the tiebreaker with UVA. Our schedule does not have an unwinnable game left on it. Many should be definite Ws if we continue our current play.
I never once felt we were out of it. My son and I heard Bonner say Pitt was in danger zone 2x down just 5 points. I turned to my son and said I am not worried because we have too much experience and we have handled this type of situation all year because we dont get rattled. We then proceeded to go on a nice run via Nelly and take the lead.

-Capel Hill………I like it.

-Coaching is much more than X and O’s and Jeff has this team playing hard and well.

-This team can win in many ways. Going into tonight, I knew they would defend JB tougher (and they did). I thought Hinson and Elliott could have big games. Well, I was happily wrong there.

-Nelly was huge, Fede was super solid and Nike had so big, well needed plays.

-UNC has some studs, but they don’t play very smart and take a bunch of really bad shots. I still would not count them out for making an NCAA run, but they miss Manek big time right now.

-I thought that this was one of our best defensive performances of the year. We did a really solid job on Bacot and other than Love hitting a few long 3’s and Nance making some shots early, we played a well above average defensive game.

-Unfortunately, I don’t think we can relax too much with the brackets. The numbers just don’t favor us and it really seems like many really focus on these numbers. While I think we will make it, I am still nervous about what happens down the stretch. With who we have left, we have many more chances for a bad loss than a good win.

DT,

I thought Coach Jeff made a few key coaching decisions that Hubert didn’t respond to well…

1, double team Bacot every time he got the ball in the post…it befuddled him and though he drew fouls, he traveled at times, and looked uncomfortable.

2. Letting JB hold the ball until the last moment possible—we knew he’d drive into the lane and by Carolina not coming out and forcing him to move sooner or keep him out of the paint was huge IMHO.

3. Kept Nelly in the game even as “fouls” were accumulating.

4. Kept on BELIEVING!!!

Hail to PITT!
-al-

--Unfortunately, I don’t think we can relax too much with the brackets. The numbers just don’t favor us and it really seems like many really focus on these numbers. While I think we will make it, I am still nervous about what happens down the stretch. With who we have left, we have many more chances for a bad loss than a good win.
I totally agree with your last sentence. That said, I think we have a decent enough resume with our good wins to date to overcome one more bad loss

I had to do something I never do after this game....go to the opponent's board and see what they're saying. I read a couple of comments about how much more talented UNC players are than Pitt's players. Maybe so. But Pitt is a better TEAM than UNC. That's all that matters. TEAMS win games. UNC isn't much of a team right now. Pitt is.

Reactions: gary2
-Capel Hill………I like it.

-Coaching is much more than X and O’s and Jeff has this team playing hard and well.

-This team can win in many ways. Going into tonight, I knew they would defend JB tougher (and they did). I thought Hinson and Elliott could have big games. Well, I was happily wrong there.

-Nelly was huge, Fede was super solid and Nike had so big, well needed plays.

-UNC has some studs, but they don’t play very smart and take a bunch of really bad shots. I still would not count them out for making an NCAA run, but they miss Manek big time right now.

-I thought that this was one of our best defensive performances of the year. We did a really solid job on Bacot and other than Love hitting a few long 3’s and Nance making some shots early, we played a well above average defensive game.

-Unfortunately, I don’t think we can relax too much with the brackets. The numbers just don’t favor us and it really seems like many really focus on these numbers. While I think we will make it, I am still nervous about what happens down the stretch. With who we have left, we have many more chances for a bad loss than a good win.

John, I agree we can't relax on this one. There is still a lot of work to do and we have to continue to take these games one at a time and focus on defeating the team we're playing, not looking at numbers, brackets, and what "pundits" are saying. There are indications that this team could be an NCAAT team if we take care of business in February and early March. Next up: L'Ville. Let's beat them again.

Reactions: jctrack
I remarked before this 3 game stretch about how unique this team was because they just find ways to win basketball games. They muck it up, they finesse their way, they defend their way, they make 18 3’s their way, grind an offense in the post with a guard to a win.

Because of the multitude of ways this team can adapt to a game, I’m prefacing this again barring injury or a bad whistle because knock on wood, they have the ability to go deeper in the tournament than every team we’ve had since 2011. Of course that could mean they miss half of those 18 made 3’s and lose the game, but the multiple ways to win gives them a unique ability we haven’t seen from a Panthers team while I’ve been alive to advance. We’ll see how that plays out in a single elimination largely luck tomorrow, thank god.

Beyond the exciting win, this is one of the few games since the Pitt/Big East glory days that had that type of feel. In the Big East days, the other team usually had one great player you could not stand, one player who was a villain, and often one star player that you completely respected and liked. The intensity of this game, to include the running battle of Davis vs. Nelly added to the enjoyment.

Hard to criticize Federico with the way he plays defense, but he needs to stop the ticky-tack fouls on the already unstoppable layups. He has had a few of those the last couple games. When he is off the court, not enough beef for the larger post players. With that being sad, we still had a lead at the half, using Santos and the twins for extended minutes. That has been a surprising component of a lot of wins, but could be one of those NCAA lost laments.

After the time out before Pitt's last possession the TV showed Burton. He seemed to have that Fields like demeanor of enjoying the moment knowing the ball was going to be in his hands and he was going to win it. Most of us certainly had little doubt he would make both free throws.

Beyond the exciting win, this is one of the few games since the Pitt/Big East glory days that had that type of feel. In the Big East days, the other team usually had one great player you could not stand, one player who was a villain, and often one star player that you completely respected and liked. The intensity of this game, to include the running battle of Davis vs. Nelly added to the enjoyment.

Hard to criticize Federico with the way he plays defense, but he needs to stop the ticky-tack fouls on the already unstoppable layups. He has had a few of those the last couple games. When he is off the court, not enough beef for the larger post players. With that being sad, we still had a lead at the half, using Santos and the twins for extended minutes. That has been a surprising component of a lot of wins, but could be one of those NCAA lost laments.

After the time out before Pitt's last possession the TV showed Burton. He seemed to have that Fields like demeanor of enjoying the moment knowing the ball was going to be in his hands and he was going to win it. Most of us certainly had little doubt he would make both free throws.
Nice thoughts. This did indeed have the feel of a Big East Rock Fight!

Reactions: jctrack and rrig5

Agreed, Fede needs to stop the dumb fouls so we don’t have to see the Diaz Graham’s for ANY sort of extended time please.

Reactions: cabe23
Great thoughts as always

I do have a question for the board - the 4th foul on Nelly , the offensive one -
I can’t say I have seen an offensive foul called on a player pulling up in the lane and getting hit from behind before .
Any explanation ?

Agreed, Fede needs to stop the dumb fouls so we don’t have to see the Diaz Graham’s for ANY sort of extended time please.
I’ll double agree with Sam and you on Fede’s fouls. Burton is the unquestioned MVP of this team but I’ll put Fede right behind him as 2nd MVP. His defense is so critical for this team, can’t afford to not have him on the court for long stretches.

His defense was great yesterday except for not knowing when to concede a 2-pt bucket. Had to be at least 3 times yesterday he fouled what was going to be a sure basket, turning a 2- into a 3-pt play and putting himself in foul trouble. A lot of that is just natural reaction. But I noticed the complete opposite from Bacot. Had to similarly be about 3 times where Fede got the ball underneath off a pass or rebound and Bacot was right there to contest but was smart enough to just lay back and concede the 2 without picking up a foul and ‘and-one’ opportunity.

I’ll double agree with Sam and you on Fede’s fouls. Burton is the unquestioned MVP of this team but I’ll put Fede right behind him as 2nd MVP. His defense is so critical for this team, can’t afford to not have him on the court for long stretches.

His defense was great yesterday except for not knowing when to concede a 2-pt bucket. Had to be at least 3 times yesterday he fouled what was going to be a sure basket, turning a 2- into a 3-pt play and putting himself in foul trouble. A lot of that is just natural reaction. But I noticed the complete opposite from Bacot. Had to similarly be about 3 times where Fede got the ball underneath off a pass or rebound and Bacot was right there to contest but was smart enough to just lay back and concede the 2 without picking up a foul and ‘and-one’ opportunity.
Difference between a rookie and a vet

Great thoughts as always

I do have a question for the board - the 4th foul on Nelly , the offensive one -
I can’t say I have seen an offensive foul called on a player pulling up in the lane and getting hit from behind before .
Any explanation ?
That was my reaction at first as well, how do you get an offensive foul by contacting someone behind you. But after seeing the replay I agreed with it, looked like an intentional move/jump backwards by Cummings initiating the contact with Davis.

I had to do something I never do after this game....go to the opponent's board and see what they're saying. I read a couple of comments about how much more talented UNC players are than Pitt's players. Maybe so. But Pitt is a better TEAM than UNC. That's all that matters. TEAMS win games. UNC isn't much of a team right now. Pitt is.
This may be the game that lights UNCs fire. They look largely disinterested. Maybe they’re satisfied with last season. Maybe they’re disappointed that they’ll never be in the NBA. Who knows.

Reactions: Duneaux Harm
This may be the game that lights UNCs fire. They look largely disinterested. Maybe they’re satisfied with last season. Maybe they’re disappointed that they’ll never be in the NBA. Who knows.
UNC didn’t at all look disinterested to me yesterday but, yeah, this ctlight their fire.

Imagine if we have to play UNC a third time in the ACC tourney.

Reactions: jctrack

Yes very true, if he's going to foul then he also needs to make absolutely certain the player doesn't score too. Send a message! Overall really have enjoyed watching Fede.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
Great thoughts as always

Any explanation ?
Davis is an Academy Award winner at flopping. He did it several times in the game.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
That was my reaction at first as well, how do you get an offensive foul by contacting someone behind you. But after seeing the replay I agreed with it, looked like an intentional move/jump backwards by Cummings initiating the contact with Davis.
It is also his move in he lane being 6 foot and all

Honestly, now watching Pitt versus UNC twice, I am not convinced UNC was "way" more talented than Pitt. It is certainly true at the forward positions, but I would argue Burton is more physical than any of their guards, Sibande is just as athletic if not possessing superior athleticism. Nelly handles the ball pretty well. And Elliott is a better pure shooter than anyone they have.

Reactions: rockypanther
I loved how right before the inbounds play, the camera cut to Burton who had walked out of the huddle and was strutting across the court bopping his head with an almost cocky type of look on his face. He knew the ball was coming to him and he knew he was going to win it. Drew the foul and nailed both free throws. Great win.

What is it with you and the twins. You’ve been taking a shot at them in most threads. Out of place untimely drivel. Don’t understand the timing of your remarks. Yeah they need to mature but I haven’t seen them out of position when called upon.

Honestly, now watching Pitt versus UNC twice, I am not convinced UNC was "way" more talented than Pitt. It is certainly true at the forward positions, but I would argue Burton is more physical than any of their guards, Sibande is just as athletic if not possessing superior athleticism. Nelly handles the ball pretty well. And Elliott is a better pure shooter than anyone they have.
Leaky Black is terrible.

I loved how right before the inbounds play, the camera cut to Burton who had walked out of the huddle and was strutting across the court bopping his head with an almost cocky type of look on his face. He knew the ball was coming to him and he knew he was going to win it. Drew the foul and nailed both free throws. Great win.
Thought the exact same thing!

What is it with you and the twins. You’ve been taking a shot at them in most threads. Out of place untimely drivel. Don’t understand the timing of your remarks. Yeah they need to mature but I haven’t seen them out of position when called upon.
Huh? Fede is much better than them and the one almost cost them the game last night. Theyre simply not ready to play at this level. If they play any extended time we’re in trouble.

None of that is untrue or a shot. My god this is a message board to discuss the team, good bad or indifferent. Stop being so soft and thinking everything is a shot if you don’t think someone is Kareem yet

Huh? Fede is much better than them and the one almost cost them the game last night. Theyre simply not ready to play at this level. If they play any extended time we’re in trouble.

None of that is untrue or a shot. My god this is a message board to discuss the team, good bad or indifferent. Stop being so soft and thinking everything is a shot if you don’t think someone is Kareem yet
The funny thing about the twins is they can barely stand up through contact. They’re like a stack of jenga blocks falling over if they get breathed on. It’s hilarious.

The funny thing about the twins is they can barely stand up through contact. They’re like a stack of jenga blocks falling over if they get breathed on. It’s hilarious.
Right. A game like last night with Bacot where they would get and were getting abused is not a game for them. It’s not taking a shot at them to say that

What a great team win !

Who had Pitt winning this game with Hinson scoring 2 pts and Elliot 5 pts .

Until Nelly’s 9 point outburst this game was getting away from the Panthers . I don’t want the offense to revolve around him , but when he’s on he needs to shoot the ball .

I prefer JCs attitude over JDs in not negatively reacting to missed shots , as long as they’re good shots let the shooters keep shooting .

This was a Big East game and I was expecting a punch or an elbow to be thrown.

Burton would’ve been a perfect fit on any of those great BE teams , what a great season he is having .

It amazes me how this Pitt team which is composed of players programs like UNC , Virginia , Duke or even Miami would never recruit is 9-3 with 5 ACC road wins .

If it wasn’t for Clemsons Brownell JC right now would be the ACC coach of year and a candidate for national coach of the year . What a year he is having when his future as Pitts head man was perilously close to being over . Great job JC my hats off to you and your staff .

No one’s smiling more than Heather , now she doesn’t have to find buyout money !

This is a NCAA team with enough offense and defense to win a few tournament games !

Reactions: Pittisit4me
I won’t say to many bad things about the twins other than we need Fede on the court more than them. The twins aren’t physically ready yet but they more than put in the effort when they’re on the court. In years to come, hopefully they’ll mature physically and become key contributors.

The thing that cracks me up about the twins though is their reaction when getting called for a foul. All the Pitt players as well as most on other teams give it the ole arms extended ‘what, me, I didn’t touch him’ reaction. But the twins put both hands up to cover their mouth, then the bewildered OMG. And then you see the reply and wonder how they can react like they did nothing wrong.

Again, most players do the same thing, I just find the twins reaction a little more hilarious.

Reactions: rrig5
I won’t say to many bad things about the twins other than we need Fede on the court more than them. The twins aren’t physically ready yet but they more than put in the effort when they’re on the court. In years to come, hopefully they’ll mature physically and become key contributors.

The thing that cracks me up about the twins though is their reaction when getting called for a foul. All the Pitt players as well as most on other teams give it the ole arms extended ‘what, me, I didn’t touch him’ reaction. But the twins put both hands up to cover their mouth, then the bewildered OMG. And then you see the reply and wonder how they can react like they did nothing wrong.

Again, most players do the same thing, I just find the twins reaction a little more hilarious.
They’re definitely characters

The twins aren’t physically ready right now , but give them time and they will be very valuable to Pitts future .

This season will make them realize what needs to be done to play the way they want too and they’re hard workers , it might take them 2 yrs to gain the necessary strength , but they’ll get there .

Last edited:
Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Capel Hill, I love it. Less noticed but equally impressive was the merging of drawing straws and the straw that stirs the drink.

Dribbles often seems more creative after an away game. Not having to drive home and more time to sit and ponder with a good beer or two is the reason, I suppose.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT