ADVERTISEMENT

UNC Game & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** From time to time, I find myself getting into minor quarrels with my fellow posters because of my defense of College Basketball referees.

** A big reason for this defense was a common practice of rewatching most Panther hoops games, and often realizing that critical calls that sometimes looked wrong in the heat of the Pete tended to look a little more right in retrospect.

** In the heat of the Pete today, there were more than a few calls which raised my ire. Still, on this day, I’m looking forward to rewatching the contest to obtain my usual better disposition about the officials.

** But that’s just a side effect actually. The main point is that I’m really just looking forward to just rewatching the game. This was a game that I think most Panther fans should want to watch more than once.

** Sure, had not referees A.J. Desai and Bert Smith rewatched the next to last inbounds play and realized that Tommy Morrisey got it wrong, I might have left the Pete with a totally different disposition about rewatching the game. But they got it right, and UNC didn’t get one last chance.

** Therefore I was able to retain my disposition that the better team won. The Panthers were the better team.

** The Panthers didn’t outshoot the Tar Heels. They just outplayed them. We were the more physical team and were the tougher team too.

** Granted, it took the Panthers a little bit of time to realize they were the better team. In the first few minutes, we looked a little intimidated by UNC’s size and strength.

** Because of that, it’s possible one can site the turning point of the game at the 15:34 mark of the first half when Jamarius took a nice feed from Nike a drove the lane to score among the tall Tar Heel trees.

** It was the first time we were able to see that not only were the Panthers the better team, but Jamarius was the best player on the court.

** This moment marked the first of over a dozen times he took the ball successfully, and actually quite brilliantly, into lane.

** I’m not sure I can remember a game when we have watched a Panther guard who out muscled a bigger opponent like Burton did today. And I’m not sure I can remember a game when we have watched a Panther guard who drove into the lane as fearlessly as Burton did today.

** Because this wasn’t a game when Jamarius was hitting deep bombs, some might not instantly recognize this game among the very few of the best ever (if not even THE best ever) offensive Panther games at the Pete. But it should be.

** This is something I can’t wait to watch several more times starting at the conclusion of Tony’s exhibition.

** Unfortunately, while rewatching Jamarius make magic in the lane, we will have to watch the rest of the Panthers miss a whole bunch of threes for much of the game.

** I’m not sure I thought many, if any, of the threes were bad ones to take. Most were good open shots that have been going down of late.

** Because of this, midway through the second frame, it looked like this might not be the Panthers day despite Jamarius’ magic.

** Then one of Blake’s triples finally fell and we outscored UNC 30-19 the rest of the way.

** Those last 11 minutes were as much fun I’ve had at the Pitt Hoops game since … well it been a while. Maybe since the Panthers beat Virginia in OT in 2017. Not only do I remember that one well, I remember how much I enjoyed rewatching it too.

** Still, with just over a minute to go, the Panthers needed a hero, and Blake was happy to step forward, when most probably thought to look for Burton in the lane. Shooting is confidence, and despite his previous misses, Hinson obviously never lost his.

** The only other single shout out I wanted to add to this game was mention of Nike’s critical 24 minutes. He brought energy, lots of defense, and even some much needed offense too.

** So here it is – one day before the end of 2022, and the Panthers are 3-0 and in second place in the ACC. Like most fans, I’m starting to become pretty optimistic about where this season could go. After all, the Panther prospects look better for this season than I ever thought they would be in September, let alone after our tough trip to Brooklyn.

** But I’ll hold back any predictions or proclamations at this time. We’ve all learned our lessons about that. Instead, I’ll just enjoy another viewing of this wonderful effort today. It’s great to want to do that again!

** Happy New Year to my fellow Pitt Hoops fans!

I really really want to get on board but in my darkest moments I just wonder why. Good chance we have a myriad of transfers next year and so any improvements will be fleeting to this year, which may be good enough. Perhaps I am also allowing watching a “fake” football team play in our bowl game to influence these feelings.

I suspect that I will become pleasantly happy here in the next weeks but right now it’s an eeyore kind of day. Lol.

What ticked me off was that my new UNC buddy from my neighborhood congratulated me before I could send a Hail to Effing Pitt text message to him after he win.

Just a few points:
1) DT, you are absolutely correct and spot on about the Panthers finally realizing they were the better team today. Once they continue to realize they are the better team, no matter who they play, they will win more. It's all about confidence and it's in your head. They made UNC realize that Pitt was the better team, too.
2) I saw when the Pitt defense stepped up and gave us an energy boost late in the first half. It resulted in our offense scoring and closing the gap going into the second half. When Pitt plays high energy, hands in your face defense, good things happen on offense.
3) The rebounding effort in the second half was another catalyst for their comeback and finally the win. Defense and rebounding always seem to be what propels Pitt to be competitive in most of their games. Now it's propelling us to wins.

Reactions: Pav9870
** From time to time, I find myself getting into minor quarrels with my fellow posters because of my defense of College Basketball referees.

** A big reason for this defense was a common practice of rewatching most Panther hoops games, often more than once, where I typically realized that critical calls that sometimes looked wrong in the heat of the Pete tended to look a little more right in retrospect.

** In the heat of the Pete today, there were more than a few calls which raised my ire. Still, on this day, I’m looking forward to rewatching the contest to obtain my usual better disposition about the officials.

** But that’s just a side effect actually. The main point is that I’m really just looking forward to just rewatching the game. This was a game that I think most Panther fans should want to watch more than once.

** Sure, had not referees A.J. Desai and Bert Smith rewatched the next to last inbounds play and realized that Tommy Morrisey got it wrong, I might have left the Pete with a totally different disposition about rewatching the game. But they got it right, and UNC didn’t get one last chance.

** Therefore I was able to retain my disposition that he better team won. The Panthers were the better team.

** The Panthers didn’t outshoot the Tar Heels. They just outplayed them. They were the more physical team and were the tougher team too.

** Granted, it took the Panthers a little bit of time to realize they were the better team. In the first few minutes, we looked a little intimidated by UNC’s size and strength.

** Because of that, it’s possible one can site the turning point of the game at the 15:34 mark of the first half when Jamarius took a nice feed from Nike a drove the lane to score among the tall Tar Heel trees.

** It was the first time we were able to see that not only were the Panthers the better team, but Jamarius was the best player on the court.

** This moment marked the first of over a dozen times he took the ball successfully, and actually quite brilliantly, into lane.

** I’m not sure I can remember a game when we have watched a Panther guard who out muscled a bigger opponent like Burton did today. And I’m not sure I can remember a game when we have watched a Panther guard who drove into the lane as fearlessly as Burton did today.

** Because this wasn’t a game when Jamarius was hitting deep bombs, some might not instantly recognize this game among the very few of the best ever (if not even THE best ever) offensive Panther games at the Pete. But it should be.

** This is something I can’t wait to watch several more times starting at the conclusion of Tony’s exhibition.

** Unfortunately, while rewatching Jamarius make magic in the lane, we will have to watch the rest of the Panthers miss a whole bunch of threes for much of the game.

** I’m not sure I thought many, if any, of the threes were bad ones to take. Most were good open shots that have been going down of late.

** Because of this, midway through the second frame, it looked like this might not be the Panthers day despite Jamarius’ magic.

** Then finally, one of Blake’s triples finally fell and we outscored UNC 30-19 the rest of the way.

** Those last 11 minutes were as much fun I’ve had at the Pitt Hoops game since … well it been a while. Maybe since the Panthers beat Virginia in OT in 2017. Not only do I remember that one well, I remember how much I enjoyed rewatching it too.

** Still, with just over a minute to go, the Panthers still needed a hero, and Blake was happy to step forward, when most probably thought to look for Burton in the lane. Shooting is confidence, and despite of his previous misses, Hinson obviously never lost his.

** The only other single shout out I wanted to add to this game was mention of Nike’s critical 24 minutes. He brought energy, lots of defense, and even some much needed offense too.

** So here it is – one day before the end of 2022, and the Panthers are 3-0 and in second place in the ACC. Like most fans, I’m starting to become pretty optimistic about where this season could go. After all, the Panther prospects look better for this season than I ever thought they would be in September, let alone after our tough trip to Brooklyn.

** But I hold back any predictions or proclamations at this time. We’ve all learned our lessons about that. Instead, I’ll just enjoy another viewing of this wonderful effort today. It’s great to want to do that again!

Happy new year DT and all Pitt fans. Let’s win a football game!

Burton is one tough dude in the lane .

Pitt won despite shooting horribly from three , imagine had they had an average day shooting the ball .

What appeared to being another lost season is turning into a fun season, but a little tough on the ticker !

Glad Fede’s 2 missed bunnies didn’t come back to haunt them . His D was outstanding .

Happy New Year to all .

Just a few points:
1) DT, you are absolutely correct and spot on about the Panthers finally realizing they were the better team today. Once they continue to realize they are the better team, no matter who they play, they will win more. It's all about confidence and it's in your head. They made UNC realize that Pitt was the better team, too.
2) I saw when the Pitt defense stepped up and gave us an energy boost late in the first half. It resulted in our offense scoring and closing the gap going into the second half. When Pitt plays high energy, hands in your face defense, good things happen on offense.
3) The rebounding effort in the second half was another catalyst for their comeback and finally the win. Defense and rebounding always seem to be what propels Pitt to be competitive in most of their games. Now it's propelling us to wins.
They did ok on defense all games long. UNC can score but as the game went on the Panthers stood pretty tall in the post. Fede did really well all things considered.

Pitt won despite shooting horribly from three , imagine had they had an average day shooting the ball .

What appeared to being another lost season is turning into a fun season, but a little tough on the ticker !

Glad Fede’s 2 missed bunnies didn’t come back to haunt them . His D was outstanding .

Happy New Year to all .
He’ll make those bunnies as the season progresses I think. He improves with every moment of experience and each drink of confidence.

Thanks again for the post DT. Just to show my age the player I liken Burton to, Walt Frazier from the
good Knick teams way back in the 1970’s.

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn

** A big reason for this defense was a common practice of rewatching most Panther hoops games, often I realized that critical calls that sometimes looked wrong in the heat of the Pete tended to look a little more right in retrospect.

** Therefore I was able to retain my disposition that the better team won. The Panthers were the better team.

** The Panthers didn’t outshoot the Tar Heels. They just outplayed them. We were the more physical team and were the tougher team too.

** Then one of Blake’s triples finally fell and we outscored UNC 30-19 the rest of the way.

** Still, with just over a minute to go, the Panthers needed a hero, and Blake was happy to step forward, when most probably thought to look for Burton in the lane. Shooting is confidence, and despite his previous misses, Hinson obviously never lost his.

** But I’ll hold back any predictions or proclamations at this time. We’ve all learned our lessons about that. Instead, I’ll just enjoy another viewing of this wonderful effort today. It’s great to want to do that again!

Someone absolutely has to tell Fede that when he gets the ball at the rim nothing but an outright dunk will do. he turned 8 points off 4 dunks into 0 points off blocks. We really needed those points.

Someone absolutely has to tell Fede that when he gets the ball at the rim nothing but an outright dunk will do. he turned 8 points off 4 dunks into 0 points off blocks. We really needed those points.
I think he’ll get it. You could see his confidence grow during this game and I think it will continue to grow as this season progresses.

DT…great thoughts on our daily double WW…

Wathcing from afar, I thought a lot of our three attempts were rushed, and didn’t need to b.

Much like the cereal bowl, ref’s were poor for both teams (yes, you’re right the times when they went to replay, they got it right).

Hail to PITT!
-al-

I forgot what it was like having gameday traffic. I left my suburban abode at 10:20, had a quick stop at Chik Fil A (very quick, no more than 10 minutes), and didn't get to my seat until 1:00 left on the pregame clock. Traffic did seem excessive, was wondering if the Pens were playing or something else going on. Not sure Pitt anticipated such a big crowd as they had minimal ticket takers available. Some of those guys must have missed the 1st Half.

Late in the first half today the guy who was sitting behind me (who had to move at the beginning of the second half because the people who actually had those tickets showed up) kept complaining about how Carolina was getting all the calls and the refs were really screwing Pitt.

At the time the team fouls were Carolina - 6, Pitt - 1 (iirc the half ended 7-2).

I mean imagine what the fouls would have been had the refs not been cheating for North Carolina. Probably something like 14 to -2.

I forgot what it was like having gameday traffic. I left my suburban abode at 10:20, had a quick stop at Chik Fil A (very quick, no more than 10 minutes), and didn't get to my seat until 1:00 left on the pregame clock. Traffic did seem excessive, was wondering if the Pens were playing or something else going on. Not sure Pitt anticipated such a big crowd as they had minimal ticket takers available. Some of those guys must have missed the 1st Half.

At halftime I went up to go to the bathroom. The lines at the concession stands were so long and moving so slowly that it wouldn't surprise me if people were still standing in them well into the second half. I don't know if that was a staffing thing or what, but I can't imagine being so desperate for Petersen Events Center snacks that you'd miss that much game time.

Late in the first half today the guy who was sitting behind me (who had to move at the beginning of the second half because the people who actually had those tickets showed up) kept complaining about how Carolina was getting all the calls and the refs were really screwing Pitt.

At the time the team fouls were Carolina - 6, Pitt - 1 (iirc the half ended 7-2).

I mean imagine what the fouls would have been had the refs not been cheating for North Carolina. Probably something like 14 to -2.
Everyone knows that the ACC refs hate Pitt!

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan

** A big reason for this defense was a common practice of rewatching most Panther hoops games, often I realized that critical calls that sometimes looked wrong in the heat of the Pete tended to look a little more right in retrospect.

These were he best dribbles I have read in like 8 years DT.

At halftime I went up to go to the bathroom. The lines at the concession stands were so long and moving so slowly that it wouldn't surprise me if people were still standing in them well into the second half. I don't know if that was a staffing thing or what, but I can't imagine being so desperate for Petersen Events Center snacks that you'd miss that much game time.

Yea me too but I saw the line and decided I didn't have to go that bad.

Yea me too but I saw the line and decided I didn't have to go that bad.

I actually didn't go to the restroom closest to my seat, because of how long the line was, but I walked down to the one in the corner above the Pitt bench (like behind maybe section 105 or something) and pretty much walked right in. That's how I saw how long the concession lines were at several different locations.

Happy New Year's Eve Eve to all Pitt fans. 2-0 - defeated two ranked teams in BB and FB. When did that last happen on the same day?

DT, I am sure that your "Dribbles" are a lot more fun to write after a big win than after a minor fail. Fun team to watch regardless of who will be here next year. The beauty of the portal is being able to find the right guys who will play together as a team. The 2022-2023 version of Pitt Men's BB looks like a group who WANTS to play as a TEAM. Best of luck and continued success to them going forward!

H2P!

Today was a lot of fun.

Decided to go to the game even though I had to be back in Bethlehem by 7:30 pm to take my oldest out to dinner for her 22nd birthday.

Came into town on Thursday night, met my good friend, Ron, at the Monkey Bar off of 51 and watched the NFL and bowl games.

Got up early to make a trip to Pamela’s, my first about 6 years. It was outstanding and never disappoints.

Then went to the game where we had a better crowd than I anticipated and hung around in the first half. I felt good about this game all week and still felt good at halftime.

Game got to 9 and I started to get a little nervous, but quickly we cut it to 4 with a 3 by Blake and a 2 by JB. Once Nelly took it at Love and then dished to Cummings, I was pretty confident we could pull it out.

Blake was big down the stretch and JB was just a complete stud going 14-17 from the field.

Hopped into the car and listened to the football game on the way home. Knew all along that we had a good shot to beat UCLA even with some of our guys out. We are just tougher and have more heart than most teams and while DTR is a great offensive weapon, he does have a propensity to turn the ball over. So, once UCLA scored and he head-butted Marquis, I knew his time would come and that we would end up the victors.

Game ended, got home about an hour after the game ended and then had a great dinner at a really great Italian restaurant in Easton, PA.

All in all, it was a great day to be a Panther!

Upon my first rewatch, I need to offer an apology to Tommy Morrisey. It was actually A.J. Desai who incorrectly called the final inbounds play incorrectly, But A.J. corrected his own mistake on replay. But Tommy still screwed up calling two and ones on what should have been floor fouls.

And Jamarius is even better the second time around.

I think he’ll get it. You could see his confidence grow during this game and I think it will continue to grow as this season progresses.
You could tell when he started to feel more confident. While he didn’t do much on O, he played a great game on D.

Today was a lot of fun.

Decided to go to the game even though I had to be back in Bethlehem by 7:30 pm to take my oldest out to dinner for her 22nd birthday.

Came into town on Thursday night, met my good friend, Ron, at the Monkey Bar off of 51 and watched the NFL and bowl games.

Got up early to make a trip to Pamela’s, my first about 6 years. It was outstanding and never disappoints.

Then went to the game where we had a better crowd than I anticipated and hung around in the first half. I felt good about this game all week and still felt good at halftime.

Game got to 9 and I started to get a little nervous, but quickly we cut it to 4 with a 3 by Blake and a 2 by JB. Once Nelly took it at Love and then dished to Cummings, I was pretty confident we could pull it out.

Blake was big down the stretch and JB was just a complete stud going 14-17 from the field.

Hopped into the car and listened to the football game on the way home. Knew all along that we had a good shot to beat UCLA even with some of our guys out. We are just tougher and have more heart than most teams and while DTR is a great offensive weapon, he does have a propensity to turn the ball over. So, once UCLA scored and he head-butted Marquis, I knew his time would come and that we would end up the victors.

Game ended, got home about an hour after the game ended and then had a great dinner at a really great Italian restaurant in Easton, PA.

All in all, it was a great day to be a Panther!

Great day indeed! Can't believe you met Sarber at the Monkey Bar! LOL. Ronnie and I bought six packs for a party there is 1985.

Great day indeed! Can't believe you met Sarber at the Monkey Bar! LOL. Ronnie and I bought six packs for a party there is 1985.
And while today was a great day for Pitt, it was not for Ron and his family.

Ron came to the game with Bert and I, but mid way through the first half, Ron’s wife called to say that her mother was not doing well. Ron left with the score around 30-24 and got to the hospital to see his mother-in-law die.

Great day for all the Panther lovers, but prayers go out to Ron, Lisa and family!

And while today was a great day for Pitt, it was not for Ron and his family.

Ron came to the game with Bert and I, but mid way through the first half, Ron’s wife called to say that her mother was not doing well. Ron left with the score around 30-24 and got to the hospital to see his mother-in-law die.

Great day for all the Panther lovers, but prayers go out to Ron, Lisa and family!

Please give my sympathies and my good thoughts to my old friend and his family.

The parking situation has been a fiasco all season. They implemented an electronic ticket only “system” at the BST lot that entails a guy standing there checking the ticket on your phone, then manually attaching a sticker to the ticket he prints out from the machine. The lines have backed up and tied up traffic in the exhibition games. With this game they just shut down that lot because they would have tied up traffic all over Oakland, so they sent us all to the OC lot, tying that one up. Thanks Heather.

** Happy New Year to my fellow Pitt Hoops fan

Happy New Year to all .
I wonder if the bad three point shooting and Burton tearing them up inside are related. Pitt legitimately has three 3-point threats for the first time that I can remember. I think Carolina was worried about that and they didn’t collapse when Burton drove.

ADVERTISEMENT