ADVERTISEMENT

Unheralded Play of the Game/Attendance Next Week

Oct 25, 2021
I really thought Simon getting down there and breaking that ball up along the sideline on the last drive was a hell of a play. He played that ball better than some of our DB's. Narduzzi mentioned the outside backers having a tough game (I noticed Bengali more than him), but that prevented what would given them a first down inside the red zone and put them in business. Helluva play, honestly. The throw was where it needed to be; the ball awareness was just fantastic.

Combining two things into one thread here, but...

Attendance predictions for next week, anyone? I say about 55k of which maybe 6,000 - 7,500 are Tennessee fans. Not exactly how well they travel, but I assume it will be decent enough. They said on the FAN last night it will be the farthest an SEC team has ever traveled for a "pre-conference-play" game. Not entirely sure how to interpret that (non-conference or non-conference only before you've began conference play?). Didn't Mizzou go to BC last year? I would think that is a greater distance.

Last edited:
Supposed to be a scorcher. I would be surprised if we got 60, but it's possible. I think Tennessee would need to bring at least 10k for that to be the case, though.

I know its early but 10 day forecast doesn't look too bad

I think they bring a big crowd. Chance to travel somewhere different. We brought a big crowd there.

Yeah, and they should be poised to have a nice season (in addition to some NIL buzz going on with their program). I'll be curious to see their contingent. North to South always seems like it attracts a better traveling crowd than the opposite, but it's not like this is a cold weather game. Will they be able to cross the MDL without spontaneously combusting? We shall see.

I really thought Simon getting down there and breaking that ball up along the sideline on the last drive was a hell of a play. He played that ball better than some of our DB's. Narduzzi mentioned the outside backers having a tough game (I noticed Bengali more than him), but that prevented what would given them a first down inside the red zone and put them in business. Helluva play, honestly. The throw was where it needed to be; the ball awareness was just fantastic.

Attendance predictions for next week, anyone? I say about 55k of which maybe 6,000 - 7,500 are Tennessee fans. Not exactly how well they travel, but I assume it will be decent enough. They said on the FAN last night it will be the farthest an SEC team has ever traveled for a "pre-conference-play" game. Not entirely sure how to interpret that (non-conference or non-conference only before you've began conference play?). Didn't Mizzou go to BC last year? I would think that is a greater distance.
Tennessee has traveled to Notre Dame and UCLA. Georgia traveled to Boulder to play Colorado in 2010.

LSU and Alabama both played at Notre Dame and Alabama and Auburn have played at Penn State. All longer trips than Tennessee to Pittsburgh.

Tennessee has traveled to Notre Dame and UCLA. Georgia traveled to Boulder to play Colorado in 2010.

LSU and Alabama both played at Notre Dame and Alabama and Auburn have played at Penn State. All longer trips than Tennessee to Pittsburgh.

Very weird that they would say that, then. It didn't sound right to me, either, considering that TN to PA isn't all that distant.

If someone is a Pitt fan and capable of getting to the game, then they need to show up. Make it an event like other big-time schools. Tailgate beforehand and get loud when TN is on offense. WV had some false starts at important points in the game. Our players and recruits take notice.

If every game was something close to last night, we would recruit in the top 25 with little problem. What a showing.

For unheralded play of the game I do like the Simon call, that was a good tip. The Marquise Williams forced fumble was another great play. Kind of way off the board, but VanDer Harr getting the punt out from the end zone, to about the 50, no return, I thought was huge early. We dodged a lot of bullets not to be down 7-0 early, and scoring first helped - even with a field goal.

Jaden Bradley also just seems to be super physical blocking. Noticed him all night, on the Izzy Td, I think one of the long Hammond runs too.

Reactions: #99HUGHgreen
For unheralded play of the game I do like the Simon call, that was a good tip. The Marquise Williams forced fumble was another great play. Kind of way off the board, but VanDer Harr getting the punt out from the end zone, to about the 50, no return, I thought was huge early. We dodged a lot of bullets not to be down 7-0 early, and scoring first helped - even with a field goal.

Jaden Bradley also just seems to be super physical blocking. Noticed him all night, on the Izzy Td, I think one of the long Hammond runs too.

At the game, I thought that receiver on the Williams play took a terrible angle and should have went outside. But after watching the replay, Williams really blew up that blocker and forced him back in. It was very big to get the ball right back after that fumble we had.

Supposed to be a scorcher. I would be surprised if we got 60, but it's possible. I think Tennessee would need to bring at least 10k for that to be the case, though.
They will. Tennessee travels well and this isn't that bad of a trip for them.

I think UT will travel well.

The novelty of them Johnny Majors Classic.

The fact that Pitt was well represented at their place, just last year.

And, the fact that Pitt beat them at home just last year.

Finally, it's the last scheduled game in the series.

Reactions: Atlanta Panther
Tennessee might bring as many fans as WVU. Major SEC fanbases like them travel extremely well and this is a big game for them considering we’re going to be a top 15 team (hopefully).

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
I think one of the most important hidden play was the fluke tipped pass at the nearing the end of the half. If Pitt can intercept or even knock the ball down - I believe we score at least a field goal to go into the half with momentum.

Tennessee traveled to Oregon during Sergeant Carter's first year.

I also remember Coach O in the Rose Bowl talking about some "sissy blue shirts" as his Tigers lost to UCLA.

We just had the largest, and arguably the loudest, crowd to ever attend a sporting event in this city. Attendance, attendance, attendance! It's what's on the brain right now.
I understand. It was a big deal but it was also a huge game to the fans and it proves that Pitt can draw big numbers for big games. It's just time to put these discussions to bed because it gets tiring to hear about how many did or didn't show up and then the arguments over whether it was disappointing or exceptional and what it means. I know we can't pretend it's 109k every week but we all know Pitt is different.

I understand. It was a big deal but it was also a huge game to the fans and it proves that Pitt can draw big numbers for big games. It's just time to put these discussions to bed because it gets tiring to hear about how many did or didn't show up and then the arguments over whether it was disappointing or exceptional and what it means. I know we can't pretend it's 109k every week but we all know Pitt is different.

I'm not coming at it from the place you're projecting, though. I know what Pitt is and isn't; I've been going to the games long enough. I'm not an opposing fan lording attendance over anyone. I'm just genuinely curious what the atmosphere is going to be like next week.

I agree that other fan bases bragging about it gets old, but this isn't that.

I can't guarantee that I won't get on Pitt fans about it from time to time, though, cause I do think it's BS how few show up for certain games.

I'm not coming at it from the place you're projecting, though. I know what Pitt is and isn't; I've been going to the games long enough. I'm not an opposing fan lording attendance over anyone. I'm just genuinely curious what the atmosphere is going to be like next week.

I can't guarantee that I won't get on Pitt fans about it from time to time, though, cause I do think it's BS how few show up for certain games.
It's not a state school fan base. You're not wrong about the wavering support but I really think Pittsburgh is a bit more of a finicky fan base and teams that aren't performing suffer. Heck, even the Steelers had disappointing attendance figures last year compared to the rest of the league. The Pirates probably over perform that notion but they also do a pretty decent job with the side-show. Fireworks and all. Most people are invested in multiple games on a fall weekend, as fans, and they're not spending money on a team that has a reputation for "Pitting". Last night was really encouraging but I don't think there are any conclusions you can draw about what happens next weekend unless the place ends up being full.

Very weird that they would say that, then. It didn't sound right to me, either, considering that TN to PA isn't all that distant.

Well consider the source. It was Billy H who said it, and Billy is not exactly known for getting all the facts right. As soon as I heard him say it I started rattling off in my head a list of games that didn't line up with his "facts".

checking out a number of message boards (Clemson, Va Tech, UNC, national college boards) pretty much unanimous comments of how loud and great the atmosphere was and Pitt really represented the ACC well.

I have never seen positive comments on Pitt's attendance like this in my lifetime so it was refreshing.
Pitt may not have one of the huge, elite level student sections, but it is right there in the next tier in terms of energy and noise they bring on a weekly basis. Even though we don't fill the stadium, the atmosphere at games (especially big games) is terrific for Pitt. The Panther Pit is a huge part of this and they were electric on Thursday.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty

No reason not to show up for an SEC opponent and a good one at that. Who knows when you’ll see another SEC school play here so I’m hoping we have a near sell out. At least 60k anyway

How many students live in Oakland these days? 10,000 students at a Pitt game is impressive as far as I’m concerned.
Pitt may not have one of the huge, elite level student sections, but it is right there in the next tier in terms of energy and noise they bring on a weekly basis. Even though we don't fill the stadium, the atmosphere at games (especially big games) is terrific for Pitt. The Panther Pit is a huge part of this and they were electric on Thursday.

UT also play at Syracuse probably 15 years ago now.

I made it a point off attending the Tennessee game over the WVU due to sheer enjoyment of the experience; I don’t mind mingling with other teams fans and enjoy road games, but vulgarity and belligerents aren’t for me. Hope it’s a 60k plus crowd like Clemson and a good game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT