ADVERTISEMENT

Up next: at Lehigh

_DBHoops

Scholarship
Feb 17, 2021
They do a better job reading our board than we do! :p:cool:

The Pitt forum seems to imply they will have multiple starters back for the Lehigh dual, at full strength they are a far different team than last weekend.....

125 L3
133 P3
141 Going to guess Matthews still out L3
149 Lehigh needs this one, If Kemmerer goes could be tough, if not LU should win, Pitt weakness L3
157 Cleary transfer from The OSU will win unless Humphreys wrestles, guessing Humphreys won't….P3
165 Wentzel Ranked as high as #2 in some polls but usually wins lower scoring matches P3
174 Logan and Kernan both listed as honorable mention by Flo, hoping Logan wrestles aggressively L3
184 Tossup, could be swing match, guessing P3
197 Appears Bonnacorsi will be back, like JT Davis potential but P4
285 L4

Goes on to say he/she expects 149 and 184 to decide the dual. I don't disagree with much! They are strongest at 25, 57 and HWT and really solid at 133 and 165.

Live on Flo, anyone up to start a gofundme for persp? ;)

They do a better job reading our board than we do! :p:cool:

Goes on to say he/she expects 149 and 184 to decide the dual. I don't disagree with much! They are strongest at 25, 57 and HWT and really solid at 133 and 165.

Live on Flo, anyone up to start a gofundme for persp? ;)
Let's just say that Flo is now available to me 😉

• Haha
Reactions: lucac and _DBHoops
Will Luke be ready to go on Sunday? I didn’t see it but it sounded like he was out cold at the Clarion open. Hopefully we don’t see that lingering

Reactions: gull point
thoughts on the eve of Lehigh:

FWIW Wrestlestat now lists some returning starters for us: Cole and Nino listed in their projected lineups but no Kemerer or Harvey. No idea how the site works but I figure when it changes mid-week like that, there's a reason?

125 - Jaret Lane is a monster, would love to be proven wrong but realistically just not giving up bonus would be great 😬 he pinned Camacho in the first period last year, has never wrestled Curry.

133 - Hines is tough, always like to see him do well but he's just 2-2 this year. Decision for Pitt.

141 - Matthews rides some nearfall to the major

149 - No set starter for either team, if Kemerer can't go then Lehigh is favored here--but this has been a messy weight for them this year too. Decision Lehigh.

157 - Big opportunity for Cleary against a top 10-15 wrestler. Elijah only gave up bonus once last year (8-0 loss to #1 Deakin). Decision Lehigh

165 - Jake beat his opponent Meyer 7-1 two years ago, then his backup 1-0 last year. Meyer again this year; he is wrestling well so far this year and Jake has been maybe a little underwhelming. This is probably a tight one, decision Pitt

174 - Hunter Kernan puts his 7-0 record on the line trying to collect his first win over an NCAA qualifier. Who knows

184 - unsure on starter here for Pitt but I think either one gets it done, with bonus for Harvey. Lehigh's starter moved up three weight classes this year and is struggling. Go figure!

197 - Nino's back. Touchdown Panthers and we miss the extra point

285 - I think this looks a lot like Slinger's loss to Nick Feldman. 12-4 major?

Gonna need a bunch of guys to take care of business in this one. Should be a fun rivalry dual.

Reactions: Ryno53
thoughts on the eve of Lehigh:

FWIW Wrestlestat now lists some returning starters for us: Cole and Nino listed in their projected lineups but no Kemerer or Harvey. No idea how the site works but I figure when it changes mid-week like that, there's a reason?

125 - Jaret Lane is a monster, would love to be proven wrong but realistically just not giving up bonus would be great 😬 he pinned Camacho in the first period last year, has never wrestled Curry.

133 - Hines is tough, always like to see him do well but he's just 2-2 this year. Decision for Pitt.

141 - Matthews rides some nearfall to the major

149 - No set starter for either team, if Kemerer can't go then Lehigh is favored here--but this has been a messy weight for them this year too. Decision Lehigh.

157 - Big opportunity for Cleary against a top 10-15 wrestler. Elijah only gave up bonus once last year (8-0 loss to #1 Deakin). Decision Lehigh

165 - Jake beat his opponent Meyer 7-1 two years ago, then his backup 1-0 last year. Meyer again this year; he is wrestling well so far this year and Jake has been maybe a little underwhelming. This is probably a tight one, decision Pitt

174 - Hunter Kernan puts his 7-0 record on the line trying to collect his first win over an NCAA qualifier. Who knows

184 - unsure on starter here for Pitt but I think either one gets it done, with bonus for Harvey. Lehigh's starter moved up three weight classes this year and is struggling. Go figure!

197 - Nino's back. Touchdown Panthers and we miss the extra point

285 - I think this looks a lot like Slinger's loss to Nick Feldman. 12-4 major?

Gonna need a bunch of guys to take care of business in this one. Should be a fun rivalry dual.
Thanks for this!

Why is everything on Flo now? I used to watch quite a few on ACC digital network. This is frustrating.

Lehigh is hosting so it’s on their network. Never heard of this before but other option is in the service electrical network

Conference and home duals will still be on ACC/ESPN/etc, I think.

Camacho gets the nod, I figured they would give Curry a shot since CC got pinned last year. But he wrestles well and does not give up bonus against a top 10-15 guy!

Reactions: Chaos
Kemerer falls 15-5.

To win the dual we need to be tied or ahead going into the last two matches, that does not seem likely.

An upset at 157 could really flip the momentum!

Cleary goes underneath Humphreys to start the second and we don't see his face until the start of the third. 1-0 Humphreys with rt locked. 2-0 final.

16-3 Lehigh and Jake will need to wrestle well to win next.

Saw something about halfway through the first period of the Harvey match that I hadn't seen from a Pitt wrestler all night: a sense of urgency to get the first takedown.

Edit: guess it's kinda hard to get the first takedown when you're on your belly five seconds into the match as has happened multiple times today.

Good thing Cole, Harvey and Nono returned or we might have been shut out. Long ride home tonight.

Sounds like I should be grateful that it wasn't on ACC network. Did Wetzel lose too?

Wentzel better find some offense cause everyone knows about his top game from last season so most won’t go down.

Terse post-match comments from HCKG:
"Lehigh wrestled well. We did not," Pitt head coach Keith Gavin said. "We have to be ready for every match. We weren't ready today. That's on me. It's a bit of a wake-up call that we need to work on some things in practice. We look forward to having the opportunity to compete again tomorrow."

Reactions: Pitt_97
Terse post-match comments from HCKG:
Spot on from coach. He has been excellent since coming here and this was honestly the only time I can remember seeing a performance like this. All programs have moments like this hopefully this will be the defining moment on the season that we can look back on and remember “that Lehigh match was the low point of the season and the team really turned it on afterwards”

He was winning by 1, he was pinned but that rarely gets called, they called it cause it was in Lehigh’s home gym. Wentzel is there all the time

When Wentzel is riding, many times he’s flat on his back and a ref could call it that quick if he wanted to. I’ve seen Wentzel nearly get called for defensive pin a handful of times.

The call on Micky wasn't good. I just watched the replay again on Flo. Not a fall.

We still wrestled poorly.

Reactions: Silkky1982
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT