ADVERTISEMENT

Upper deck

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
I counted about half the upper deck on the visitor side towards the end of the 1st quarter. There were a little over 200 people in the first 4-5 sections. I didn't feel like counting the other half of that sideline but it was very similar.

I realize Covid and all that but you CANNOT have 400 people sitting in an upper deck area which seats 15,000 people and better yet, have that be the TV side.

Tarps or no tarps, Pitt should not be attempting to sell all 70K seats. Those 400 people in the upper deck + 100 in the upper deck endzone could easily be relocated.

Really... what does it matter. This program stinks and will stink. It's just a little more smelly when the crowd looks bad.

Reactions: WannyandWalt
I counted about half the upper deck on the visitor side towards the end of the 1st quarter. There were a little over 200 people in the first 4-5 sections. I didn't feel like counting the other half of that sideline but it was very similar.

I realize Covid and all that but you CANNOT have 400 people sitting in an upper deck area which seats 15,000 people and better yet, have that be the TV side.

Tarps or no tarps, Pitt should not be attempting to sell all 70K seats. Those 400 people in the upper deck + 100 in the upper deck endzone could easily be relocated.
Just wondering, were you sitting there with you walkman listening to Styx " Too Much Time On My Hands"?

Why do you care so much? You seriously counted them? :)

Why did you need to start a separate thread for this? Is it easier to keep track of when you need to copy and past a thread to mock Pitt over on BWI?

Tarps or no tarps, you're embarassing.

Reactions: BurghGuy68
Why did you need to start a separate thread for this? Is it easier to keep track of when you need to copy and past a thread to mock Pitt over on BWI?

Tarps or no tarps, you're embarassing.
What's BWI? To me it means Baltimore Washington International Airport, but what do you mean?

Reactions: mas1021
Seems like that's the way it is where the hometown college team shares the stadium with the hometown pro team, Pitt and Miami, who knows and it's getting to be who cares

Seems like that's the way it is where the hometown college team shares the stadium with the hometown pro team, Pitt and Miami, who knows and it's getting to be who cares
Pitt fans should be more concerned with performance that aesthetics. Unfortunately, this fan base can only seem to obsessively churn out thread after thread about uniform colors, tarps, where to build stadiums, how to build stadiums, and what font is the best on the game jerseys.

Reactions: TD_6082
Pitt fans should be more concerned with performance that aesthetics. Unfortunately, this fan base can only seem to obsessively churn out thread after thread about uniform colors, tarps, where to build stadiums, how to build stadiums, and what font is the best on the game jerseys.
That's true, not to mention favorite song, favorite movie, and crap like that

Reactions: pittdan77
That's true, not to mention favorite song, favorite movie, and crap like that
I'm cool with the odd thread like that. Especially when things are slow. You can almost peg when these threads will hit and what will be said. It says a lot about who is posting these threads. This guy claims he sat there and counted people in the upper deck rather than watch the game. There's a "real" fan for you. Hint: He probably didn't even go to the game but he likes to stir the pot.

I'm cool with the odd thread like that. Especially when things are slow. You can almost peg when these threads will hit and what will be said. It says a lot about who is posting these threads. This guy claims he sat there and counted people in the upper deck rather than watch the game. There's a "real" fan for you. Hint: He probably didn't even go to the game but he likes to stir the pot.
Yea, I can see some of that, might as well add political threads

What do you expect when Pitt has given the fans decades of dog crap? It's been over 20 years since Pitt had a 4-0 start. How many other teams can say that?

If they are giving me lower bowl seats for upper deck prices, I’ll move down. I’m on. Kind i in f stinks for the people that paid more to get in the lower bowl though but oh well.

wtf can we do about performance? Newsflash pal, we don’t have control over any of this. I wrote Lyke an email two weeks and her associate AD wrote me back a canned response.

it’s a message board, nothing is off limits.

wtf can we do about performance? Newsflash pal, we don’t have control over any of this. I wrote Lyke an email two weeks and her associate AD wrote me back a canned response.

No no no. Blame the fans. They make those terrible coaching hires.

Literally 2 or 3.

Who? Even Oregon State had been 4-0 over the last 10 years.

And Vanderbilt was 4-0 in 2008.

Indiana... 2020.

Wake Forest... Last weekend.

Heck... Even our friends Temple and Rutgers have done so in the past 10 years.

So really... How can someone blame Pitt fans when they keep getting a box of stale Cracker Jacks with a missing prize.

Last edited:

Probably can't do anything more about performance than we can do to pick the font but talking football is a lot more fun than discussing what color blue the jerseys should be.

Edit: Wait, did you write a letter about tarps to the AD?

Who? Even Oregon State had been 4-0 over the last 10 years.

And Vanderbilt was 4-0 in 2008.

Indiana... 2020.

Wake Forest... Last weekend.

Heck... Even our friends Temple and Rutgers have done so in the past 10 years.

So really... How can someone blame Pitt fans when they keep getting a box of stale Cracker Jacks with a missing prize.

Washington State?

Ok, maybe, Pitt has been the only team to not have a 4-0 start the last 20 years.

It is unbelievable that Pitt can be consistently average to above average just about every season but yet find a way to be the only or one of the only teams in certain win or good start categories. You would think we would be Vanderbilt but nope, we just alternate wins or losses. No good exciting starts. But also no long losing streaks.

Washington State?

Ok, maybe, Pitt has been the only team to not have a 4-0 start the last 20 years.

It is unbelievable that Pitt can be consistently average to above average just about every season but yet find a way to be the only or one of the only teams in certain win or good start categories. You would think we would be Vanderbilt but nope, we just alternate wins or losses. No good exciting starts. But also no long losing streaks.

Nope. Wash At started out 6-0 in 2017. They also finished 11-2 the following year and ranked in the Top 10.

So now I am wondering. Is Pitt in a class by themselves here?

Nope. Wash At started out 6-0 in 2017. They also finished 11-2 the following year and ranked in the Top 10.

So now I am wondering. Is Pitt in a class by themselves here?

I checked and I think the only program to go longer than Pitt at not starting 4-0 is, surprisingly North Carolina.

“4 and 0” start is a pretty selective stat to compare to other programs. You can’t say “even Vanderbilt or Rutgers” because we are still much better overall.

This is another topic where there is truth in both arguments. On one hand, Fan support should be better. We know it’s a big factor. We have had tons of great players come through this program, even in mediocre years.

On the other hand, it has been mediocre football with a lot of disappointments, and lot of competition for entertainment dollars. To me, that is still the bigger part. We need to play nationally relevant games and win. That’s how this dynamic changes.

ADVERTISEMENT