ADVERTISEMENT

USA manager Emma Hayes and captain Lindsey Horan speak ahead of Saturday's Olympic gold medal match against Brazil.

Please, can this federation be as bold on the men's side as they were on the women's side with bringing Hayes in.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Please, can this federation be as bold on the men's side as they were on the women's side with bringing Hayes in.
Our federation landing Hayes was similar to Pitt Soccer landing Randy and Jay. She dropped in our laps and like Pitt, US Soccer couldnt mess it up. The only difference is the USWNT might be the best job in the world. But yeah I totally agree with you.

Hayes to the womens game is like Pep or Klopp in the mens game.

Rough half. Having a hard time dictating tempo. Lucky to be 0-0.

Rough half. Having a hard time dictating tempo. Lucky to be 0-0.

Not a good half.

By the way, I went back at halftime and looked at the offsides they called on Smith when she had the potential for a breakaway and the announcers both agreed that the whistle came too soon because it was close, and I disagree. It wasn't particularly close at all. She was clearly onside.

You can see how important Lavelle is to this team, she pulls the strings

What a brilliant decision to not play the ball by the one US player and Swanson in the onside position just ran right onto it.
For sure. We were just talking about that because my daughters think Sophia can be selfish at times. So for her to peel off that ball, we wondered if she knew she was off or if Swanson called her off the ball. Then we wondered if smith impacted the play at all from the offside position.

Question for y’all…as Swanson ran in on goal, Smith was running with her and was making herself available for the pass. Did she ever get herself back onside and if she didn’t, could the VAR officials deem her as impacting the play and waive off the goal because the keeper and defenders had to account for her?

Question for y’all…as Swanson ran in on goal, Smith was running with her and was making herself available for the pass. Did she ever get herself back onside and if she didn’t, could the VAR officials deem her as impacting the play and waive off the goal because the keeper and defenders had to account for her?

I was wondering the same thing. I'd have to see it again, and I'm sure at some point I will, but I think she did get back onside during the run.

For sure. We were just talking about that because my daughters think Sophia can be selfish at times. So for her to peel off that ball, we wondered if she knew she was off or if Swanson called her off the ball. Then we wondered if smith impacted the play at all from the offside position.

I think 2 things may have factored into the decision to let it stand. That ball was played into acres of space with no Brazilian in sight and Smith peeled off immediately.

Not in this clip but I’ve now watched others and toggled the video. Smith never impacted the play at any point from the pass to the goal, so good call not to wave off the goal. I’m only posting this clip below because I liked it. Lol.

Emma Hayes interview with Mike Tirico was a tear jerker. Mike asked why she said she wanted to win this for America. And she said “I love America because it made me”, as she fought back tears.

Awesome.

Our federation landing Hayes was similar to Pitt Soccer landing Randy and Jay. She dropped in our laps and like Pitt, US Soccer couldnt mess it up. The only difference is the USWNT might be the best job in the world. But yeah I totally agree with you.

Hayes to the womens game is like Pep or Klopp in the mens game.
Except that she came a lot cheaper than either of them.

Wonderful to see the girls singing. We know a certain someone would not have...

This new gen is very likeable. I mean the old gen was but there were a few who...well...

USA...USA!
Girma and Smith didn’t sing in the past. But what would you do it you were a young player on a team with strong personalities who didn’t? So it was nice to see this now that the negative element has been removed.

Interestingly, I found a clip on YouTube from 2012 with a younger Rapinoe singing during the gold medal ceremony. But then, her influence grew and we didn’t find our way back on the gold medal stand again in the Olympics. Coincidence?

And to hear a Brit, the leader of this group, profess a love for this country…well maybe that kind of positivity is contagious.

Not in this clip but I’ve now watched others and toggled the video. Smith never impacted the play at any point from the pass to the goal, so good call not to wave off the goal. I’m only posting this clip below because I liked it. Lol.

Plus you can see there that Smith did peel back and get behind the ball, so she got herself back onside pretty quickly.

Take a look at every goal the U.S. women's national team scored in the women's soccer tournament at the 2024 Paris Olympics.

Click on "Watch on YouTube":

USA's Emma Hayes and Lindsay Horan speak after they beat Brazil 1-0 at the Parc des Princes to win Olympic gold.

Reactions: Allan McMurray
Can the federation please ask Emma to do double duty?

Also I noticed the question from yahoo sports to Horan. Wow, is it possible this team is in a better place now that some of the old guard is gone? I took her answer as some or most of this team were kinda miserable with a few of the old guard there.

It sure seems it.

Can the federation please ask Emma to do double duty?

Also I noticed the question from yahoo sports to Horan. Wow, is it possible this team is in a better place now that some of the old guard is gone? I took her answer as some or most of this team were kinda miserable with a few of the old guard there.

It sure seems it.
Maybe. Not sure I want to pile on or not. That core still won a WC together so it’s probably best to give them their due and move on. What went on in that locker room though was pretty well known in certain circles.

But it’s been talked about a lot. Emma wanted to make things fun again. That was well documented. And Vlatko was very well regarded as a players coach who was too easy on the team. So if it wasn’t fun, then yeah we can connect the dots perhaps.

What a fun run this was for the USWNT. More than the soccer, it was just good to have a likable group of players who love America and don’t want to be activists. Smith, Rodman and Swanson have a chance to be as dynamic of a trio in the attack as we have ever had — and that is saying something.

We also need to acknowledge Alyssa Naeher. She seems to make every difficult save and has done so for years. She basically won them the 2019 World Cup when everyone was questioning her ability. You can also say that she won them this Gold Medal with be timely saves.

What a fun run this was for the USWNT. More than the soccer, it was just good to have a likable group of players who love America and don’t want to be activists. Smith, Rodman and Swanson have a chance to be as dynamic of a trio in the attack as we have ever had — and that is saying something.

We also need to acknowledge Alyssa Naeher. She seems to make every difficult save and has done so for years. She basically won them the 2019 World Cup when everyone was questioning her ability. You can also say that she won them this Gold Medal with be timely saves.
Naeher really is the total package. I don’t see a downside to her game, on and off the field. I hesitate to say that she is better than Hope Solo, but…

Naeher really is the total package. I don’t see a downside to her game, on and off the field. I hesitate to say that she is better than Hope Solo, but…
Agreed. I would say Solo technically was better and probably carried more presence on the field, but I don’t know that I have ever seen a female keeper with instincts and reflexes like Naeher.

Agreed. I would say Solo technically was better and probably carried more presence on the field, but I don’t know that I have ever seen a female keeper with instincts and reflexes like Naeher.
Clearly a better person than Solo. And maybe a better leader in the locker room. But you’re spot on with Solo as an organizer and pretense on the field. She was tough.

Reactions: JD1976

Reactions: JD1976
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT