ADVERTISEMENT

USA Vball

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
Who’s watching? How’s it looking?

I watched the men pummel the Pols in the 3rd set…they absolutely destroyed them to go up 2-1. Then I had to walk away from the match and found out later they lost. What the heck happened?

What’s going on on the women’s side?

Who’s watching? How’s it looking?

I watched the men pummel the Pols in the 3rd set…they absolutely destroyed them to go up 2-1. Then I had to walk away from the match and found out later they lost. What the heck happened?

What’s going on on the women’s side?
Women play the favorite, Brazil, this morning at 10:00 am ET. This is a Semifinal match, winner plays for Gold and the loser plays for Bronze.

I'm about to turn it on...

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Jordan Larson has done a ton for US Women's Volleyball and I respect her for that, but she should never ever ever see the court for this team over Skinner/Plummer. You cannot have an OH who can't hit

US up 17-10 in Set 3 and Brazil bringing in old Pitt foe Julia Bergmann

Jordan Larson has done a ton for US Women's Volleyball and I respect her for that, but she should never ever ever see the court for this team over Skinner/Plummer. You cannot have an OH who can't hit

every time i see her name, i can only hear it in chalmers' voice.

giphy.webp

What a match! I think it was the best volleyball match I ever have seen.

What a win!

And, why can NBC have the best announcers in the world, starting with the incomparable Paul Sunderland, for volleyball and the crap announcers they have on other sports (Rowdy Gaines, take a bow). I have little doubt that Sunderland selects the commentators and they are so in sync with him. The only thing that could make it better is an overview from Bob Costas.

Reactions: HOF Coach
What a match! I think it was the best volleyball match I ever have seen.

What a win!

And, why can NBC have the best announcers in the world, starting with the incomparable Paul Sunderland, for volleyball and the crap announcers they have on other sports (Rowdy Gaines, take a bow). I have little doubt that Sunderland selects the commentators and they are so in sync with him. The only thing that could make it better is an overview from Bob Costas.
I am glad you pointed out how in sync that Paul and Salima Rockwell are when calling these high level matches.

Listening to them discuss strategies and tactics, while still doing play-by-play announcing and color commentary, is next level broadcasting.

Can't wait to hear them again on Sunday!

PS: For those who may not know, Salima is the current head volleyball coach for Notre Dame.

Reactions: mike412
USA goes for the Gold on Sunday, 7:00 am ET vs the winner of Turkey vs Italy.
Thank you for this. I don’t know why but the ESPN app, which is my go to, doesn’t update schedules for Volleyball. It does for soccer. So annoying.

US womens soccer Gold Sat 11am
US Womens Vball Gold Sun 7am

I’ll be watching. I love AM sports. The Saturday game might be grilling time of day. But the Sunday game is definitely breakfast and coffee time. I sometimes like to do an English breakfast when watching EPL matches. I might have to do Italian breakfast on Sunday with some Italian roast coffee or espresso, with Italy being the opponent. Italians aren’t known for their breakfasts though. If Turkey had won, things would have been interesting. Lol.

I have watched most of the US men's and women's games and several others.

I think the women have been fortunate. Setting has been very hot and cold. When it's on, the US is just a force. They've also only used the middles sparingly. That surprised me because Brazil was blocking everything for a while and there wasn't anything to the middles to try to mix things up. That will be something to watch in the final.

The men just got unlucky against Poland. Couple of rally's go the other way, they're playing for gold. Up two sets on Italy and leading in the third.

Italy has the best professional volleyball league in the world…and it showed. With a combination of homegrown professional Italian players and a few foreign players made eligible to play for Italy, they dominated the Americans in every aspect of the match. Not surprising they lost only one set the entire tournament.

• Wow
Reactions: Fk_Pitt and jctrack
Italy has the best professional volleyball league in the world…and it showed. With a combination of homegrown professional Italian players and a few foreign players made eligible to play for Italy, they dominated the Americans in every aspect of the match. Not surprising they lost only one set the entire tournament.
I know ZERO about volleyball but do know a spanking when I see one. That was an old behind the wood shed whuppin.

It doesn't help when USA has only one strategy and that's to go and just try to hit rocket shots to win. That said, you should probably try to close a block on an opposite that's hitting nearly 0.500 midway through the match and pass the ball a bit more effectively.

It doesn't help when USA has only one strategy and that's to go and just try to hit rocket shots to win. That said, you should probably try to close a block on an opposite that's hitting nearly 0.500 midway through the match and pass the ball a bit more effectively.
The USA passing and setting was really poor. How many times did the setter set the ball so poorly that the hitter just had to dink it over? Or the initial pass was so poor that the only thing the recipient could do was try to keep it in play? We had a very low percentage of points where there was a real chance for a kill on the third touch.

I can’t blame Kiraly for that because in other matches we looked like a well-coached machine: Dig, set, spike. The Italians never let us get in that rhythm.

I thought the semifinal match against Brazil was the best women’s volleyball match I had ever seen. But, that Italian team was the best women’s team I have ever seen and they were light years better than the US.

Reactions: pittdan77
The USA passing and setting was really poor. How many times did the setter set the ball so poorly that the hitter just had to dink it over? Or the initial pass was so poor that the only thing the recipient could do was try to keep it in play? We had a very low percentage of points where there was a real chance for a kill on the third touch.

I can’t blame Kiraly for that because in other matches we looked like a well-coached machine: Dig, set, spike. The Italians never let us get in that rhythm.

I thought the semifinal match against Brazil was the best women’s volleyball match I had ever seen. But, that Italian team was the best women’s team I have ever seen and they were light years better than the US.
Setting was a problem for most of the tournament. US does a pretty good job generating offense with bad sets and out of system sets (it's an emphasis all the way down to the club level) so it's minimized but a lot of teams were able to put up big blocking numbers against the US because there wasn't much tempo to the offense because of the setting issues. Can't be predictable against good defensive teams.

Reactions: jctrack
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT