ADVERTISEMENT

USC gives up 21 unanswered points

Chairman Moe

All Conference
Nov 4, 2003
Just around the corner from Paradise
I tuned in midway through the 2nd qtr. USC led 17-3. Current score @ 9:00 mark of 3rd qtr is Utah 24-17.

Kinda conflicted; I've never cared for Utah after the way they trounced us @ Fiesta Bowl. Never cared for USC, either. But should Utah hold on, it will definitely open the door for the Buckeyes or Crimson Tide.

A Utah win will add to the nerves TCU must be feeling. A CFP with UGA, Michigan, OSU, and Alabama ... meh

I tuned in midway through the 2nd qtr. USC led 17-3. Current score @ 9:00 mark of 3rd qtr is Utah 24-17.

Kinda conflicted; I've never cared for Utah after the way they trounced us @ Fiesta Bowl. Never cared for USC, either. But should Utah hold on, it will definitely open the door for the Buckeyes or Crimson Tide.

A Utah win will add to the nerves TCU must be feeling. A CFP with UGA, Michigan, OSU, and Alabama ... meh
Exactly the opposite, a Utah win is a giant relief for TCU.

USC is in with a win, out with a loss, and a USC loss puts OSU in the playoffs pretty much automatically. If USC wins 3 berths are decided and the only question is if the 4th team is OSU or TCU, and most people believe that TCU would be out with a loss tomorrow.

If Utah holds on all of a sudden TCU’s only competition is a 2 loss Alabama team, even if they lose a close one to Kansas St tomorrow TCU would almost certainly get the bid.

Other than Ohio St no one is rooting harder for Utah than TCU.

Exactly the opposite, a Utah win is a giant relief for TCU.

USC is in with a win, out with a loss, and a USC loss puts OSU in the playoffs pretty much automatically. If USC wins 3 berths are decided and the only question is if the 4th team is OSU or TCU, and most people believe that TCU would be out with a loss tomorrow.

If Utah holds on all of a sudden TCU’s only competition is a 2 loss Alabama team, even if they lose a close one to Kansas St tomorrow TCU would almost certainly get the bid.

Other than Ohio St no one is rooting harder for Utah than TCU.
Makes sense. I hadn't thought about TCU being a "lock". I hope so. I'm getting tired of seeing the same teams (OSU/Bama) year after year.

Addison: 3 catches, 13 yards so far.

Makes sense. I hadn't thought about TCU being a "lock". I hope so. I'm getting tired of seeing the same teams (OSU/Bama) year after year.
The only bad thing is a Utah win (slightly) opens the door for Alabama, would be a long shot but if TCU would get blown out tomorrow there would be a lot of pressure to elevate Alabama over them.

Utah is a good and very physical football team. I am not surprised they are giving SC fits for a 2nd time. I hope Lincoln Riley gets what he deserves.

The only bad thing is a Utah win (slightly) opens the door for Alabama, would be a long shot but if TCU would get blown out tomorrow there would be a lot of pressure to elevate Alabama over them.
TCU is in. They have already beaten KSU. Alabama has 2 losses and doesn't really have a signature win.

TCU is in. They have already beaten KSU. Alabama has 2 losses and doesn't really have a signature win.
Correct, would take a truly embarrassing loss tomorrow to get replaced by Alabama.

However if USC comes back to win tonight TCU almost certainly needs to beat KSU or they’re facing getting displaced by Ohio St. Not saying this opinion is unanimous, but it is certainly the majority.

Correct, would take a truly embarrassing loss tomorrow to get replaced by Alabama.

However if USC comes back to win tonight TCU almost certainly needs to beat KSU or they’re facing getting displaced by Ohio St. Not saying this opinion is unanimous, but it is certainly the majority.
That would be a shame if that were to happen. TCU has beaten everybody on their scheudle and already beaten KSU. When there is nothing to gain in a conference championship game as it relates to the playoffs, and everything to lose, something is wrong.

That would be a shame if that were to happen. TCU has beaten everybody on their scheudle and already beaten KSU. When there is nothing to gain in a conference championship game as it relates to the playoffs, and everything to lose, something is wrong.
For sure. Whereas USC will now have lost to Utah twice.

On a different topic, Caleb Williams looks good but tonight's effort certainly can't be helping his Heisman hopes

On a different topic, Caleb Williams looks good but tonight's effort certainly can't be helping his Heisman hopes
Almost seems like its going to someone by default this year. I think he's still probably the favorite to win it.

I think he still wins relatively easily, was actually about a 1/20 favorite coming into tonight.

I’ve only been casually watching, but I believe Williams has been playing banged up throughout the night. Might’ve played a part in this second half onslaught by the Utes.

Weak group of candidates
Agreed, Stroud had a really good shot until the Michigan game. Unlike some recent years there aren’t really any defensive candidates out there and the other top candidates (Stroud, Maye) had ugly losses in their final game.

giphy.gif

If the Utes draw the pedophiles in the rose bowl, they will physically beat the snot out of them. That will be priceless, even if they don't win on the scoreboard. I expect Utah to win tho, as physical teams usually beat the perennially soft peds.

If I recall, Whittingham was Urban Meyer's defensive coach when we played them in the Fiesta Bowl many moons ago
Yup, those two are reminiscing on the postgame show right now. The type of stability they’ve had over the years is pretty impressive.

Reactions: TD_6082
With respect to the playoffs, looks like TCU is playing for 1 thing tomorrow, position

Win, be ranked 3rd and play Michigan. Lose, be ranked 4 and play UGA.

Only thing wrong with that 2nd scenario is it would then mean an OSU-Mich rematch after they just played. Will the committee make sure they’re ranked to avoid that rematch right off the bat?

With respect to the playoffs, looks like TCU is playing for 1 thing tomorrow, position

Win, be ranked 3rd and play Michigan. Lose, be ranked 4 and play UGA.

Only thing wrong with that 2nd scenario is it would then mean an OSU-Mich rematch after they just played. Will the committee make sure they’re ranked to avoid that rematch right off the bat?
The Committee has got to be pulling for "chalk" on Saturday's games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT