ADVERTISEMENT

USFL a ratings success?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001

Did better than the EPL, MLS, and I'd assume NHL regular season. Still cant understand how people can screw up a spring football league. Americans love football and there has to be a place for a well-run spring league.

Did better than the EPL, MLS, and I'd assume NHL regular season. Still cant understand how people can screw up a spring football league. Americans love football and there has to be a place for a well-run spring league.
That kinda supports my viewing habits. I’ll watch a USFL game before I watch an MLS, NHL or MLB game. I think football, and to a lesser extent NBA, are viewed as a national brand whereas every other league is more of a regional broadcast that only home fans watch.

USFL might be successful long-term if it tries to stay in it's lane. Function as a minor league in the way that the Korn Ferry tour is for the PGA (much lesser talent with the small chance of a path to the NFL). Works out pretty well for the Busch series with NASCAR. I think moving to their respective cities in season two might be a mistake given they were able to keep expenses down in season one.

All that said, I'll never watch it over anything else. Spring football sounds nice but for me, football season is football season and I have no desire to watch it at another time.

I suppose in relative terms?

The USFL will make itself relevant when they lure kids out of CFB who can't enter the draft, yet.

Yes. But given they likely won't ever be able to compete with NIL, they are going to have to rely on lesser talent.

Reactions: pittdan77

I've been watching it, just because it's football, I can watch oddball stuff like spring football without having rooting interest, just because it's different, I like different just for being different, I was a fan of arena football for years, sorry that went away, I used to attend MINOR LEAGUE arena football in Baltimore with about 2K others back around 2010 BECAUSE IT WAS FUN. BUT YOU? I'm sure you didn't watch any of the USFL , right? I mean it's not the highest level, so why are you even discussing it?

Reactions: pittdan77
Imagine Addison went to the Maulers next season instead of USC…
The USFL paid their players $45K for the season as a base and there was a bonus for each game won by their team. Nobody is getting rich.

I suppose in relative terms?

The USFL will make itself relevant when they lure kids out of CFB who can't enter the draft, yet.
Why is that? I mean do you even know those players, like say a star sophomore from Bama? And I'm sure they won't Texas high school NIL probably pays more than USFL :)

One thing about USFL "beating" MLS and EPL is this, USFL is 40 football games spread over 10 weeks, in that amount of time, how many soccer games are broadcast? Probably more than 40 per week, Football fans who want to see football have limited options, you can watch soccer every day of the week if you want to.

NHL averages almost 18k fans a game for 40 home games for 1 team.
What is the average attendance of USFL ? 18 total
What does that matter for TV ratings? Its a TV league. They pay their players close to $0 and have close to 0 fans in attendance.

Sure they can pay players $0. Players will still play if they think they are chasing an NFL Dream still. last year the TSL (The Spring League) literally paid $0 and still had players for a 6 team league. USFL paid $45K+bonuses for winning games, that is actually not bad for 3-4 months work.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT