ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT/Berhalter Drama

He issued a statement earlier stating that he was blackmailed in Qatar and went on to come clean about an incident with his wife when they were 18. He said he kicked her in the leg and grew from it.

He issued a statement earlier stating that he was blackmailed in Qatar and went on to come clean about an incident with his wife when they were 18. He said he kicked her in the leg and grew from it.

That incident happened in 1991, so someone has held a grudge against him for a long time.

BTW, that statement leads me to believe that Burp is not going to be coaching the team for their January camp and the two friendlies at the end of it. Which I suppose doesn't mean that he couldn't still have the job long term, I but choose to look at that as a good development.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
BTW, that statement leads me to believe that Burp is not going to be coaching the team for their January camp and the two friendlies at the end of it. Which I suppose doesn't mean that he couldn't still have the job long term, I but choose to look at that as a good development.
I heard a comment from Fabrizio Romano today that wasn’t very noteworthy. He essentially said that right now there are no direct talks between federations and potential managers. Countries like Brazil who are also in the market understand that the coaching market is going to be different in several weeks and that’s when talks will start. Right now the only talk is from agents putting their clients names out there.

I’ll remind anyone reading this who may not know, Fabrizio is the top football insider in Europe. He’s connected and is like Adam Schefter on steroids.

The timing of this is quite obvious that someone is holding a major grudge. Wants to embarrass him and get him far away from US soccer. The timing makes it impossible for US Soccer to ignore with all of the issues in the women’s pro league with abuse allegations, investigations and other issues against women.
I don’t know the full kicking story, but he’s been married to the woman for 25 years. Was that a one time issue, or have there been other issues along the way. Was this a planted story to open an investigation into what might be more issues for 25 years. Or is this really a one time issue and the point is payback to hurt him.
Who knows, but this will potentially guarantee he never coaches for US and might even restrict his other options at the pro level.
I guess we can wait to see who comes to his defense and what the investigation uncovers.

seems like a setup from the Federation to find a “legitimate “ reason to dump him.

Supposedly there’s more fireworks coming today.

Holy shit, it was Claudio. This is Catastrophic, if gio knew anything at all he's likely done with the international team.

Holy shit, it was Claudio. This is Catastrophic, if gio knew anything at all he's likely done with the international team.
Yeah I just saw this on Men In Blazers facebook page. What a sniveling, cheese eating rat face dick Claudio Reyna is.

Im on Derp-a-Derp's side on this topic.

Why? Derp is probably gone anyway, right?

Why don’t some of you wait for the facts before you come to conclusions? He says it was simply kicking her in the leg. Danielle Reyna, who was the wife’s roommate at the time, says it was far more serious.

I don’t know whose telling the truth. I do find it hard to believe that he underwent what he himself refers to as “extensive counseling” over a simple kick. I also think it is clear she has a lot of anger towards him because of the treatment of her son, so her veracity might also be an issue.

I don’t know where the truth lies. I’m going to wait to see what the investigation concludes.

My observation of this Board is that when these stories arise, as they unfortunately do too often, the immediate knee-jerk reaction of far too many here is to blame the woman. No wonder so many women still are afraid to come forward in these situations.

Why don’t some of you wait for the facts before you come to conclusions? He says it was simply kicking her in the leg. Danielle Reyna, who was the wife’s roommate at the time, says it was far more serious.

I don’t know whose telling the truth. I do find it hard to believe that he underwent what he himself refers to as “extensive counseling” over a simple kick. I also think it is clear she has a lot of anger towards him because of the treatment of her son, so her veracity might also be an issue.

I don’t know where the truth lies. I’m going to wait to see what the investigation concludes.

My observation of this Board is that when these stories arise, as they unfortunately do too often, the immediate knee-jerk reaction of far too many here is to blame the woman. No wonder so many women still are afraid to come forward in these situations.
What woman is being blamed? I think most are posting theories of why it came out now. 25 plus years later. Nobody, and especially me ever sides with the abuser, see my post about Dior. I think many are confused by the timing especially knowing the issues with Gio.

I totally understand that. I’d be the same with loyalty if I had the ability to pick a job. Look for Henry to make a move somewhere. Dude has started to put in many years as assistant with Belgium.
If the US wants a "name" coach, shouldn't it be a name coach who actually has national team managing experience? People keep throwing out names of big name club coaches but this is a four year project, and it calls for very different tasks and skills.

If the US wants a "name" coach, shouldn't it be a name coach who actually has national team managing experience? People keep throwing out names of big name club coaches but this is a four year project, and it calls for very different tasks and skills.
It’s not an easy gig. And the US hasn’t gotten it right at most levels for men and women. The women have been lucky because the rest of the world didn’t care about women’s soccer. Now that is changing. US better come up with a long term strategy to develop coaches, develop players, find players, and attract top coaching talent. Sadly, global respect for US soccer isn’t high, and few are willingly to take on the challenge.

It’s not an easy gig. And the US hasn’t gotten it right at most levels for men and women. The women have been lucky because the rest of the world didn’t care about women’s soccer. Now that is changing. US better come up with a long term strategy to develop coaches, develop players, find players, and attract top coaching talent. Sadly, global respect for US soccer isn’t high, and few are willingly to take on the challenge.
There just aren't a ton of big name national team coaches anywhere and most end up coaching the national team from their home country. There aren't a large number of accomplished national team coaches available anywhere, not just for the US. If people want a name, it makes more sense to look at a Luis Enrique or Joachim Low.

Well, they just let a soccer mom undermine the existing coach over personnel decisions. No accomplished coach wants to deal with U12 bullshit.
Berhalter should tell them he'll stay on but no Gio, public apology, $15 million guaranteed and he gets to punch Gio's mom in the face. Twice.

Well, they just let a soccer mom undermine the existing coach over personnel decisions. No accomplished coach wants to deal with U12 bullshit.
Berhalter should tell them he'll stay on but no Gio, public apology, $15 million guaranteed and he gets to punch Gio's mom in the face. Twice.
So if a new coach comes in and Gio leads us to win the Worled Cup dies Gio’s mom get to kick GGG in the nuts straightaway?

• Haha
I hope your wow isn’t about that he turned it down but more wow that we offered him. Gregg is gone and if he isn’t it will be a great embarrassment.
It’s a wow for me because in spite of what SMF says (he’s wrong) the guy is known as one of the top handful of coaches in the world. So I say wow because it appears the US is aiming high. You can’t offer ZidAne and then settle for Derp. That would be like going after Mark Few, being told no, and then settling for Kevin Stallings.

That said, cronyism got us Stallings and the same kind of bullshite can get us Berhalter for another cycle or two. I wouldn’t be shocked.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
It’s a wow for me because in spite of what SMF says (he’s wrong) the guy is known as one of the top handful of coaches in the world. So I say wow because it appears the US is aiming high. You can’t offer ZidAne and then settle for Derp. That would be like going after Mark Few, being told no, and then settling for Kevin Stallings.

That said, cronyism got us Stallings and the same kind of bullshite can get us Berhalter for another cycle or two. I wouldn’t be shocked.
You are spot on, and unfortunately the next coach might just be exactly what you mention. Another crony in the US soccer boys club. We have more talent and players being exposed to some excellent club teams, and need a good national team coach who has high level experience. I’m ok with someone who has been on a national team staff, not necessarily head coach, but has been very successful. I’d rather take a chance on Henry than go with someone in the US soccer boys club. I’d rather find a solid club coach that knows how to find talent and build a team.

You are spot on, and unfortunately the next coach might just be exactly what you mention. Another crony in the US soccer boys club. We have more talent and players being exposed to some excellent club teams, and need a good national team coach who has high level experience. I’m ok with someone who has been on a national team staff, not necessarily head coach, but has been very successful. I’d rather take a chance on Henry than go with someone in the US soccer boys club. I’d rather find a solid club coach that knows how to find talent and build a team.
Your boy Martinez just took Portugals job and some yanks are upset. I’m not. He underachieved with your Belgium team. Although maybe even Pep would not have won with that dysfunctional locker room.

And US Soccer should tell Burp that he can stay on, but the janitor's job doesn't pay nearly that much.
They won't keep him, but going to be difficult to get someone who wants that job. High level coaches have many options. They can choose to avoid organizational dysfunction.

They won't keep him, but going to be difficult to get someone who wants that job. High level coaches have many options. They can choose to avoid organizational dysfunction.

That's true, and nothing screams organizational dysfunction like giving the job to a not particularly well qualified family member of one of the people doing the hiring in the first place.

Burp's whole tenure has been one giant monument to organizational dysfunction.

Reactions: USN_Panther
I think it could be tough to get a high quality coach in here. People sure are seeing how petty U.S. Soccer can be and what kind of interference can be had. Not to mention the federation overall is incompetent and corrupt.

I do feel for Derp-a-Derp on this topic. The elder Reyna's are true scumbags in this. Hopefully Gio can learn from his temper tantrum at the WC and improve in all aspects and the program can move past it as well.

I do feel for Derp-a-Derp on this topic. The elder Reyna's are true scumbags in this. Hopefully Gio can learn from his temper tantrum at the WC and improve in all aspects and the program can move past it as well.

I don't. If he just didn't air behind closed doors team business in a public forum then none of this happens. People would just assume that he didn't play Reyna more because he's incompetent as a game manager and that would have been the end of it. Instead, because of his actions, people think he's an incompetent game manager and he doesn't know how to manage the team in the locker room either.

I don't. If he just didn't air behind closed doors team business in a public forum then none of this happens. People would just assume that he didn't play Reyna more because he's incompetent as a game manager and that would have been the end of it. Instead, because of his actions, people think he's an incompetent game manager and he doesn't know how to manage the team in the locker room either.
He's terrible in both senses I agree. But for the Reyna's to dig something up that had been buried many years ago...then say it was worse than Derp stated, I say to the elder Reyna's, grow up. Two wrong never make a right. Your kid was a petulant child at the WC and that's not up for debate.

Overall it just makes the job not as attractive as it could be.

He's terrible in both senses I agree. But for the Reyna's to dig something up that had been buried many years ago...then say it was worse than Derp stated, I say to the elder Reyna's, grow up. Two wrong never make a right. Your kid was a petulant child at the WC and that's not up for debate.

Yeah, I agree. No one looks good from this whole thing. Not Burp. Not the Reynas (any of them). Not US Soccer. No one.

I thought I read somewhere that he was essentially being blackmailed with the threat of releasing the information about the "assault" if he didn't play Reyna more. These are professional athletes. Can you imagine Mitch Trubisky's mom doing this to Tomlin? It's ludicrous.

I thought I read somewhere that he was essentially being blackmailed with the threat of releasing the information about the "assault" if he didn't play Reyna more.

That isn't what happened. The supposed blackmail didn't happen until AFTER the Cup was over, in response to Burp talking at that leadership forum about the whole Gio situation.

And I say "supposed blackmail" because the Reynas didn't go to Burp and say play my son or we'll release this, which would have been blackmail. Instead she was talking to a couple US Soccer higher ups and said something to the effect of, yeah, well if he thinks what my son did is bad maybe he should remember what he did 31 years ago.

That isn't blackmail, it's spite.

Your boy Martinez just took Portugals job and some yanks are upset. I’m not. He underachieved with your Belgium team. Although maybe even Pep would not have won with that dysfunctional locker room.
He was good 4 years ago. But he allowed the dysfunction this year and brought a team totally I’ll prepared, and much of that was on him.

I wonder if Henry stays at Belgium, follows him to Portugal or gets his own coaching gig.

ADVERTISEMENT