ADVERTISEMENT

UT-Martin & Other Dribbles (abridged!!) …

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** With a crashed laptop… I can’t do my regular too-many-words. Too bad. It would have been fun.

** But it’s already easy to see what Head Coach Capel wants this year — attacking defense and let the shots fly.

** The result was a pretty fun game. More importantly, it looked like our guys were having even more fun, maybe more today than at any point last year.

** I’m not sure what more can be said about Blake Hinson that hasn’t already been said. But allow me to recap my favorite Blake play. In the second half, he set a brutal screen to free Nelly at the point to drive to the lane. From there, Nelly kicked back to Nike who then swung back to Blake at the top of the key to drain the three. All made possible by the great screen.

** Otherwise, Nelly was smooth and commanding at the point.

** Want proof about the power of our defense? Parker Stewart is usually a pretty cool mature customer, but the Panthers totally frustrated him to the point that he lost his cool. That’s saying something.

** I’ll wrap up by saying this was an encouraging performance. I’m not going to offer any “let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves predictions.” But it sure beats the alternative, like losing to St Francis or the Citadel.

** I’ll miss Fridays game because the family will be on the road for a college visit. Before tonight, I wasn’t too worried about missing the game. Now I’m bummed because I think it’s going to be a good one, even without John Hugley.

Perhaps I was buoyed by low expectations, but I really enjoyed the game. I watched more than I expected to, partly because my kids went down early. My takeaway is this team isn't dead on arrival. Like I said, low expectations.

I'm not saying they'll win the ACC, or make the tournament, or make the NIT, or finish above .500. Realistically, what that game meant to me is that if I make time to sit and watch Pitt vs. Wake Forest, or Notre Dame, or Clemson, or other mid-tier ACC teams, I'm likely to see a game. Not a win, but a competitive game I'll have fun watching. And right now, that's really all I'm looking for. Maybe expectations will come up, maybe the wheels will again fall off, but I feel like the remaining games aren't foregone conclusions.

Last edited:
Other than the first 8 - 10 minutes, the game was very enjoyable. I loved the defensive intensity and getting into passing lanes to break up plays. The rebounding was very good. If Pitt can find the scorers to go with this style of play, assuming Hinson keeps playing as he is now, we could actually break 0.500 overall this year and maybe get close to an NIT bid.

Reactions: TWPitt
I liked a lot of what I saw.

Somewhat concerned that I don't believe a guard converted (maybe even attempted a layup?)

Burton had an OR put back and a loose ball layup from a ball that rolled to him. Elliott may have attempted 1 Layup.

That is all I remember.

Reactions: Drew1208
** With a crashed laptop… I can’t do my regular too-many-words. Too bad. It would have been fun.

** But it’s already easy to see what Head Coach Capel wants this year — attacking defense and let the shots fly.

** The result was a pretty fun game. More importantly, it looked like our guys were having even more fun, maybe more today than at any point last year.

** I’m not sure what more can be said about Blake Hinson that hasn’t already been said. But allow me to recap my favorite Blake play. In the second half, he set a brutal screen to free Nelly at the point to drive to the lane. From there, Nelly kicked back to Nike who then swung back to Blake at the top of the key to drain the three. All made possible by the great screen.

** Otherwise, Nelly was smooth and commanding at the point.

** Want proof about the power of our defense? Parker Stewart is usually a pretty cool mature customer, but the Panthers totally frustrated him to the point that he lost his cool. That’s saying something.

** I’ll wrap up by saying this was an encouraging performance. I’m not going to offer any “let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves predictions.” But it sure beats the alternative, like losing to St Francis or the Citadel.

** I’ll miss Fridays game because the family will be on the road for a college visit. Before tonight, I wasn’t too worried about missing the game. Now I’m bummed because I think it’s going to be a good one, even without John Hugley.
I had low expectations that were raised with the exhibition victories. I had hopes for Fede Fede after the really good box scores in the exhibitions. Hinson, Fede have far exceeded my expectations. The rest of the team met them, which isn't bad.

Reactions: gary2
I had low expectations that were raised with the exhibition victories. I had hopes for Fede Fede after the really good box scores in the exhibitions. Hinson, Fede have far exceeded my expectations. The rest of the team met them, which isn't bad.
Alittle disappointed in the experienced guards.

Shooting and Taking their man off the dribble

Opinion: This team is not built for the dribble-drive style of play. Maybe you would see it more if Dior Johnson had stayed out of trouble. The offensive design is to shoot the three ball and when that stretches the defense to feed it inside to Hugley, Fredeiko and/or G. D-G and when the defense sags inside to kick it out for the three ball to a guard or Hinson. In other words, a design of offense that fits this teams strengths vs those of last/past year's rosters. Going to play more like Virginia Tech has done recently, IMHO.

Shooting. Lol. It was the first game. Nike can beat anyone off the dribble and Nelly gets where he needs to go to make a play.
The guards did not shoot well in the exhibitions games either.

Nike turned it over both times he tried to go. Nike is not good if he has no angle, frequently loses his dribble in front of him.

Opinion: This team is not built for the dribble-drive style of play. Maybe you would see it more if Dior Johnson had stayed out of trouble. The offensive design is to shoot the three ball and when that stretches the defense to feed it inside to Hugley, Fredeiko and/or G. D-G and when the defense sags inside to kick it out for the three ball to a guard or Hinson. In other words, a design of offense that fits this teams strengths vs those of last/past year's rosters. Going to play more like Virginia Tech has done recently, IMHO.

If true, this is trouble as Capel runs a dribble drive/pick and roll offense.

Shooting and Taking their man off the dribble

Gary ... I can see why you might think this but I thought the guards were fine. They did what they needed to yesterday, playing within themselves and making the "right play." Everyone was cold early, but we scored 74 points in the last 32 minutes. Not spectacular but solid.

Gary ... I can see why you might think this but I thought the guards were fine. They did what they needed to yesterday, playing within themselves and making the "right play." Everyone was cold early, but we scored 74 points in the last 32 minutes. Not spectacular but solid.
I am very encouraged, just a small (very small) caveat.

VaTech? How about everyone? Layup attempts are just avenues to kick out passes to the arc. I’ve seen sure dunks turned into kickouts. It’s the norm and probably that “metric thing“ again with coaches.

VaTech? How about everyone? Layup attempts are just avenues to kick out passes to the arc. I’ve seen sure dunks turned into kickouts. It’s the norm and probably that “metric thing“ again with coaches.
Yeah. You never see unbelievably, acrobatic, crazy layup attempts any more. They’re all kick outs for 3. Unless it’s Xavier Johnson.

I am very encouraged, just a small (very small) caveat.

It comes down to personal expectations.

If the expectation is to compete to try to win 15 games this year and be near last in the acc, well, you can say the guards were "fine". If you want to make a push to try to play in the NCAA Tournament and make a true jump this year, the guards simply were not good enough.

1) We had 15 turnovers against a bad team. That number is too high, including from the guards.

2) The guards didn't shoot the basketball well. None of them besides Elliot, and that includes the wings.

3) The ORTG offensive power ratings didnt have 1 single guard or wing on our team over 105 against a bad team on offense. We had only 1 guard over 100 ortg. That simply is nowhere near good enough for a tournament bid. I can understand a few players not being high in game 1 in the efficiency metrics, but all of the guards were under in game 1.

4) The overall team passing looked good for the most part. It shows in the total assist we had vs with total baskets made. Ill agree that it shows we have significant potential on offense if we make open shots and stop turning the basketball over.

It's 1 game, the first game of the season, with a team chalk full of new players still building chemistry and figuring things out without Big John. Sure, Ill buy that argument.

But the guards were supposed to be the strength of this team with years of experience and being seniors. Well, through 3 games, the strength of this team thus far currently is in the frontcourt with the 3 best players last game all being in the frontcourt. And Blake Hinson is far and away leading the charge of our offense. If we want to beat West Virginia, the guards and wings need to step it up, all of them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT