ADVERTISEMENT

UT/OU just informed that they will not extend their GOR

ThePanthers

Head Coach
May 4, 2009

Joint statement that they will not renew/extend their GOR wsa just submitted to the Big XII. Doesn't mean things are final that they are moving, but this is the first step of what is supposed to be a quick agreement.

Joint statement that they will not renew/extend their GOR wsa just submitted to the Big XII. Doesn't mean things are final that they are moving, but this is the first step of what is supposed to be a quick agreement.
So I guess GOR's do have some teeth.

I wonder how iron clad that ND agreement is. Something about them not joining a conference unless it’s acc for awhile.

I’m always skeptical that lawyers guns and money can get them out of this. Sorry, giving song lyrics. But lawyers and money if the big 10 and ND wanted to merge.

So I guess GOR's do have some teeth.
The Big 12 will continue to own the rights to athletic events hosted by Texas and Oklahoma until June 30, 2025 regardless of the league they are playing in.

I would expect Texas and OU to leave the Big 12 on July 1, 2022 and then sue the Big 12 to come to a settlement on those TV rights. This is something to keep an eye on if you're an ACC fan since FSU, Clemson (and others) are signed through 2036. If Texas and OU get most of their TV rights back, it could be bye bye to the Big Ten for FSU and Clemson.

Strangely, that big Alabama at Oklahoma or LSU at Texas football game could end up on FOX (Big 12 contract) until 2025.

They have teeth in that someone would have to sue and settle including ND. That's it. Won't stop any blue blood imo. The ACC having that ill advised long term deal may actually help them.

Reactions: Phillypanther2
They have teeth in that someone would have to sue and settle including ND. That's it. Won't stop any blue blood imo. The ACC having that ill advised long term deal may actually help them.
The reason for the "ill advised" long term deal was if ESPN was going to invest in an ACCN, and be partners with the ACC in it, they wanted long term stability and avoid schools leaving after they invested and launched a network dedicated to that conference. It's why the SEC is also in a similar arrangement until 2032.

Reactions: TIGER-PAUL
The Big 12 will continue to own the rights to athletic events hosted by Texas and Oklahoma until June 30, 2025 regardless of the league they are playing in.

I would expect Texas and OU to leave the Big 12 on July 1, 2022 and then sue the Big 12 to come to a settlement on those TV rights. This is something to keep an eye on if you're an ACC fan since FSU, Clemson (and others) are signed through 2036. If Texas and OU get most of their TV rights back, it could be bye bye to the Big Ten for FSU and Clemson.

Strangely, that big Alabama at Oklahoma or LSU at Texas football game could end up on FOX (Big 12 contract) until 2025.
OU and Texas straight up said they are willing to stick it out in the Big XII until the end of the 2024 season. The question will become, will the other 8 schools just settle to move on in life.

OU and Texas straight up said they are willing to stick it out in the Big XII until the end of the 2024 season. The question will become, will the other 8 schools just settle to move on in life.
Yeah, they have to publicly state they will honor their contracts. I'm sure they certainly want out sooner, but they can't publicly state that or it would essentially signal a breach. But since they have taken the public position to honor it, it forces the B12 to let them play it out or negotiate their early exit which will mean likely compromising on buying out the remaining value of their GOR and full exit fee.

Last edited:

I'm assuming you know as much about contract law as you do most other things so I'm not even going down that rabbit hole with you. You don't breach a contract with someone and then sue them. You'd literally be offering to throw open all of your communications to discovery.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
Yeah, they have to publicly state they will honor their contracts. I'm sure they certainly want out sooner. But since they have taken the public position to honor it, it forces the B12 to let them play it out or negotiate their early exit which will mean likely compromising on buying out the remaining value of their GOR and full exit fee.
It's reasonable to assume that they waited until the last minute to do this because they know getting out early won't be easy or cheap.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce

Yes, the first formal step In the process. Certainly signifies intent. Imagine Bevo & OU have been getting their legal ducks in a row to put themselves in the best position to make things happen ASAP. There will be costs involved to both departing schools, but they must be convinced the rewards are worth it.

Posturing. There will be a settlement and Texas, OU, and their media rights will be in the SEC on July 1, 2022 or 2023.

Reactions: TIGER-PAUL
Maryland had to pay 31 million to leave , what a year or 2 early ?
UMD and the ACC settled on $31 million from the $52 million "owed" because the ACC implemented the 3X annual distribution exit fee a year an a half earlier than it should have according to when the conference bylaws should have let them. The grant of rights was not yet implemented when UMD left.

And yes, ACC has something like 13-14 years left on its contract. To buy out that grant of rights at this time, on top of the 3X annual distribution exit fee (currently around $97million), would be very cost prohibitive. It's not like a school could play the game UT and OU are playing by saying they'll play in the ACC for the next 13 years and then leave. Leaving the ACC right now would require the conference to dissolve pretty much. It would be otherwise prohibitively expensive and very ugly.

Yeah, they have to publicly state they will honor their contracts. I'm sure they certainly want out sooner, but they can't publicly state that or it would essentially signal a breach. But since they have taken the public position to honor it, it forces the B12 to let them play it out or negotiate their early exit which will mean likely compromising on buying out the remaining value of their GOR and full exit fee.
That makes sense because otherwise the Big 12 could probably sue OU, TX, and even the SEC for tortuous interference. There would be some major payments being made to the Big 12 in that case.

from an espn article...
An SEC official told ESPN this week that the league's current scheduling format would have to be revamped with the addition of Oklahoma and Texas. Some sort of "pod" system would likely replace the current East and West divisions, and the league would likely play more than eight conference games each season in the future.

Would love to see the 4 pods in the ACC.
Never liked Coastal and Atlantic
I would like to see
Pitt
Notre Dame
Syracuse
Virginia Tech

Posturing. There will be a settlement and Texas, OU, and their media rights will be in the SEC on July 1, 2022 or 2023.

Oh, I'm sure they will settle. It will be extremely expensive though.

But there is a big difference in breaking out of a 3 year agreement vs a 15 year agreement. That is why ESPN wanted long term deals with both the ACC and SEC going into 2036 and 2032 respectively. They have a large investment going into both the ACCN and SECN, something the Big XII didn't have.

Nothing is impossible, and quiet honestly, I"m not surprised by anything anymore. But I find it hard that ESPN will allow some of their most prized inventory in the ACC to jump ship to the BIG w/o a fight, especially since it seems ESPN is all in on the SEC and has a significant investment in the ACC for a conference that is aligned closely with FOX.

ACC should work on TAM and Penn State. That's if Michigan and OSU are in discussion with the SEC.

Oh, I'm sure they will settle. It will be extremely expensive though.

But there is a big difference in breaking out of a 3 year agreement vs a 15 year agreement. That is why ESPN wanted long term deals with both the ACC and SEC going into 2036 and 2032 respectively. They have a large investment going into both the ACCN and SECN, something the Big XII didn't have.

Nothing is impossible, and quiet honestly, I"m not surprised by anything anymore. But I find it hard that ESPN will allow some of their most prized inventory in the ACC to jump ship to the BIG w/o a fight, especially since it seems ESPN is all in on the SEC and has a significant investment in the ACC for a conference that is aligned closely with FOX.
Disney/ESPN has also has just invested in the linear ACC Network and is in the middle negotiations to cram it down Comcast's throat. I'm sure doesn't want any trouble in the ACC world right now that would endanger its negotiations or investments.

That said, I wouldn't expect ESPN to rescue the ACC with any generosity. But the ACC schools left behind by any theoretical departure aren't going to just let schools walk when survival is on the line. It would turn very ugly very quickly.

Reactions: ThePanthers
from an espn article...
An SEC official told ESPN this week that the league's current scheduling format would have to be revamped with the addition of Oklahoma and Texas. Some sort of "pod" system would likely replace the current East and West divisions, and the league would likely play more than eight conference games each season in the future.

Would love to see the 4 pods in the ACC.
Never liked Coastal and Atlantic
I would like to see
Pitt
Notre Dame
Syracuse
Virginia Tech
4 pods with 4 teams each works nice. play everyone in your pod once (3 games) and then 2 in each of the other three pods, equals 9 games. then the following year, you play the other two teams in the other pods. so you play every team in your conference every other year, host them once every 4 years..

Disney/ESPN has also has just invested in the linear ACC Network and is in the middle negotiations to cram it down Comcast's throat. I'm sure doesn't want any trouble in the ACC world right now that would endanger its negotiations or investments.

That said, I wouldn't expect ESPN to rescue the ACC with any generosity. But the ACC schools left behind by any theoretical departure aren't going to just let schools walk when survival is on the line. It would turn very ugly very quickly.
Agree, ACC in different situation depending on who would leave and who's left and probably would mean a block of schools meaning ACC dissolving.

I don't think schools leaving the ACC is feasible. What I do think is likely is that if Oklahoma and Texas leave the Big 12, ESPN downgrades the Big 12 contract and shifts those funds to the ACC. It would just make logical sense for ESPN to bolster the two leagues of which it owns all of the rights.

Once again your God has failed me. I prayed to never hear the phrase "Grant Of Rights" again be discussed on there forums only be drug right back into this hell.

Reactions: Ski11585
I'm the ACC I grab OK ST,TAM,CINCY & WVU Or ND
grab ok state and wvu and call it a day at 16. no one moves the proverbial needle outside of ND and unless you give them a very large and unbalanced piece of the revenue, they arent joining. if you do give them the lion's share, you piss off clemson...

so go with ok state and wvu and hope the big 10 picks off a few, pac 12 pick up 4 and you have 4 major conferences with pitt having a seat at the table.

Reactions: Phillypanther2
grab ok state and wvu and call it a day at 16. no one moves the proverbial needle outside of ND and unless you give them a very large and unbalanced piece of the revenue, they arent joining. if you do give them the lion's share, you piss off clemson...

so go with ok state and wvu and hope the big 10 picks off a few, pac 12 pick up 4 and you have 4 major conferences with pitt having a seat at the table.

All those moves do is guarantee the desired teams in the ACC are going to be more willing to listen if/when the Big Ten and SEC come calling.

We don't know what the TV people would think of that either. Adding, just to add, was a big "no" for the Big12 when they looked at it.

We don't know what the TV people would think of that either. Adding, just to add, was a big "no" for the Big12 when they looked at it.
ok, and i agree. i did ask a few days ago what this ou/ut rumor has to do with the acc expanding. maybe its just assumed (right or wrong) that it will make other conferences react when in reality, it wont..

sec is really really good, now it will be really really really good. doesnt change the acc.

ok, and i agree. i did ask a few days ago what this ou/ut rumor has to do with the acc expanding. maybe its just assumed (right or wrong) that it will make other conferences react when in reality, it wont..

sec is really really good, now it will be really really really good. doesnt change the acc.
The SEC doing this makes sense because they are poaching two schools that couldn't lure anyone to the conference they are in and they add value.

I don't know what other schools in the ACC are thinking. There is all of this wild speculation out there but none of it makes sense. This didn't just happen overnight. Clemson could have easily heard offers to join from other places before the TV deal was done. Same with FSU or UNC or any of the other names being tossed around. But they did the deal and locked themselves in. You'd think that if jumping was on their minds, they would have at least tried to get the "triple penalty" for leaving early out of the league's rules. My guess is that if the Big12 does in fact implode, there may be a good reason to go get one or two of those schools. There may not. If it matters, the guy who is the liaison to ESPN that also runs Clemson is a WVU guy. The league commissioner came from the B1G. You'd think the ACC would be pretty knowledgeable about what makes sense and what doesn't. We'll see.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT