ADVERTISEMENT

UT/OU just informed that they will not extend their GOR

grab ok state and wvu and call it a day at 16. no one moves the proverbial needle outside of ND and unless you give them a very large and unbalanced piece of the revenue, they arent joining. if you do give them the lion's share, you piss off clemson...

so go with ok state and wvu and hope the big 10 picks off a few, pac 12 pick up 4 and you have 4 major conferences with pitt having a seat at the table
If we had to take Big 12 teams, this would be the order:

1. TCU (DFW market, really good football)
2. OKSt (not a great market but Pickens money ensures they'll always be good)
3. Texas Tech (large state school with state-wide fanbase, probably 3rd biggest fanbase in Texas)
4. Houston (not Big 12 I know) - 4th largest city in the country, new football and bball venues
5. Kansas
6. WVU

3. Texas Tech (large state school with state-wide fanbase, probably 3rd biggest fanbase in Texas)
4. Houston (not Big 12 I know) - 4th largest city in the country, new football and bball venues
5. Kansas
6. WVU
I still don't see any of those teams adding more than they would take in the way of shared money. Even if the ACC were able to renegotiate their TV deal.

If the ACC could have added Texas and OU like the SEC if expected to, then I could see it. They would add more than they would take. But any of the rest of the conference would not add more than they would take. It would be a net reduction for each current school.

Plus, it's not as if any of those teams are also going to add playoff game money.

5. Kansas
6. WVU
1. Good football? Averaging 6 wins the last three years.
2. Pickens is dead and they aren't consistently good by anyone's measure.
3. 9th largest school in Texas - Roughly the same size as North Texas.
4. If Houston is a great addition, why didn't the Big12 add them when they had the chance? Oh, they're not.
5. Kansas? I mean, why?
6. The most logical addition is last on your list but your list is garbage.

I still don't see any of those teams adding more than they would take in the way of shared money. Even if the ACC were able to renegotiate their TV deal.

If the ACC could have added Texas and OU like the SEC if expected to, then I could see it. They would add more than they would take. But any of the rest of the conference would not add more than they would take. It would be a net reduction for each current school.

Plus, it's not as if any of those teams are also going to add playoff game money.
yeah, no one really adds anything to the point where we can go back to espn and demand more money, enough to even break even with two additional programs. does adding 16 teams, switching to a 9 game format, getting more "live games" content warrant an expansion in the acc? Not sure, you can still do that with the existing 14 members.

i know everyone hates the strategy of waiting to see what happens but i really dont think being proactive here makes any sense. outside of nd of course. best wait to see if this is it and if so, just stay where we are. If all hell breaks loose then you react.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
Wvu makes the most sense imo. People want to watch the backyard brawl, black diamond game and people will accept old acquaintances with Miami, cuse and bc.
Even if people want to watch those games (and I'd suggest that number isn't very large outside of the markets affected) adding WVU would not bring more money to the ACC than they would take in equal shared benefits.

It would be a net loss for each of the existing member schools.

1. Good football? Averaging 6 wins the last three years.
2. Pickens is dead and they aren't consistently good by anyone's measure.
3. 9th largest school in Texas - Roughly the same size as North Texas.
4. If Houston is a great addition, why didn't the Big12 add them when they had the chance? Oh, they're not.
5. Kansas? I mean, why?
6. The most logical addition is last on your list but your list is garbage.
I wouldn't add any. I'm saying if we had to.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Even if people want to watch those games (and I'd suggest that number isn't very large outside of the markets affected) adding WVU would not bring more money to the ACC than they would take in equal shared benefits.

It would be a net loss for each of the existing member schools.
That's the question that we will find the answer to over time. They will not be invited unless financially it makes sense.

The only obvious add that is somewhat although minimally realistic is nd.

You can also almost guarantee that no school will leave the ACC either before 2036.

SO, what happens next is anyone's guess.

I wonder how iron clad that ND agreement is. Something about them not joining a conference unless it’s acc for awhile.

I’m always skeptical that lawyers guns and money can get them out of this. Sorry, giving song lyrics. But lawyers and money if the big 10 and ND wanted to merge.
It's as iron clad as everyone else's. I believe it's three years of revenue. Problem is the sec is going to be near double the acc so even if they have to pay the full amount it doesn't matter much.

The SEC doing this makes sense because they are poaching two schools that couldn't lure anyone to the conference they are in and they add value.

I don't know what other schools in the ACC are thinking. There is all of this wild speculation out there but none of it makes sense. This didn't just happen overnight. Clemson could have easily heard offers to join from other places before the TV deal was done. Same with FSU or UNC or any of the other names being tossed around. But they did the deal and locked themselves in. You'd think that if jumping was on their minds, they would have at least tried to get the "triple penalty" for leaving early out of the league's rules. My guess is that if the Big12 does in fact implode, there may be a good reason to go get one or two of those schools. There may not. If it matters, the guy who is the liaison to ESPN that also runs Clemson is a WVU guy. The league commissioner came from the B1G. You'd think the ACC would be pretty knowledgeable about what makes sense and what doesn't. We'll see.
I think wvu on its own is a solid addition they don't add a ton but they add some the problem is there isn't anyone else that your likely to even come close to breaking even on. I would hazard to guess that even ok st doesn't have as good of tv ratings as Pitt and they played the last 10 years on a historical uptick for them. So if wvu is getting in it's likely as number 15 with no one else. Only caveat is if the addition of two teams is enough for ESPN to up the contract just for the extra inventory or teams leave the acc

It's as iron clad as everyone else's. I believe it's three years of revenue. Problem is the sec is going to be near double the acc so even if they have to pay the full amount it doesn't matter much.
Here's the deal. No ACC team would turn down the Big Ten or SEC. You can't. Yea the buyout is a lot but you'd make that back tenfold.

The big question remains, will the Big Ten and SEC want to offer ACC teams who MAY NOT be able to get their TV rights back until July 1, 2036. Without their TV rights, a Clemson or FSU dont add a ton of value and are 2 more mouths to feed.

Yep but the sec will be making 60. If the acc is paying half it will only take three years to break even and then big money after that
I’m still wondering where we came up with 3 since they have a contractual obligation for 13 years. Letting them off the hook of a decade is quite a sweetheart deal.

They are estimating ok and Texas have to dish out 75m fir two years. DONT think acc leadership will just forget about 10 years.

I’m still wondering where we came up with 3 since they have a contractual obligation for 13 years. Letting them off the hook of a decade is quite a sweetheart deal.

They are estimating ok and Texas have to dish out 75m fir two years. DONT think acc leadership will just forget about 10 years.
The contractual obligation is their TV rights. They signed over their TV rights to the league and cant get those back if they swith leagues

Yep but the sec will be making 60. If the acc is paying half it will only take three years to break even and then big money after

Yep but the sec will be making 60. If the acc is paying half it will only take three years to break even and then big money after that
So those schools would have zero bills to pay for 3 years and put all of their revenue towards a massive buyout??

The exit fee is 3X the annual distribution, which continually is going up. The grant of rights, and what is needed to buy out the decade plus of media rights owned by the conference, is a different issue. I do not know what Notre Dame's status with a grant of rights is compared to the other membership, but they are a full partner in the ACC Network, so it likely isn't nothing.

The exit fee is 3X the annual distribution, which continually is going up. The grant of rights, and what is needed to buy out the decade plus of media rights owned by the conference, is a different issue. I do not know what Notre Dame's status with a grant of rights is compared to the other membership, but they are a full partner in the ACC Network, so it likely isn't nothing.
They did share their TV revenue with the ACC last year in exchange for playing in the conference. Makes me think they’re tied in deep enough. If something is going to happen to move ND into the conference, it will happen in the next couple of years. Their NBC deal ends in 2025.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT