ADVERTISEMENT

Vader: Pitt Stuns Florida State, and Pitt Recruiting Momentum Continues

Vader_Storm

Sophomore
Dec 16, 2018
What more needs to be said. Pitt has now blown out #11 Florida State, beat #26 Louisville, and beat the predicted A10 champion St. Louis. If you aren’t on the bandwagon yet, you should be jumping on very soon as the gas has been punched to the floor and Pitt is making the jump to lightspeed into hyperspace. Jeff Capel is not playing around and neither are the players.

The 3 headed freshmen monster continues to flex hard on the court, Vader style. 57 points from the 3 frosh blasting Florida State tonight. Mcgowens with another 5 steals, and he is trying to become the best defensive player ever at Pitt. His running mate continues to shut down players, Au’diese Toney, who remains playing at hyper speed. The X man needs to play with a lot better control in the future as he has too much Krauser in him forcing the play when it doesn’t have to be forced with careless turnovers. Regardless, this trio is something very, very, special and they are only freshmen! The defense from Mcgowens and Toney is unbelievable for 2 freshmen.

Its time for a little more love for T. Brown too. With 6 points, 7 boards, and another 4 block game against a massive Florida State frontline, the true sophomore continues to improve game by game. A proper nickname should be the flying eraser as this guy wants to be the best shot blocker in the country. Brown has 26 blocks his last 5 games, 4 of which are against ranked ACC teams, an average of over 5 blocks per game. Yea, its time to wake up and smell the coffee. Brown is starting to become real good and reliable. He still gets beat on defense and rebounding and gets caught out of position with his footwork but he is only a sophomore which is exciting. It also won’t show up on the stat sheet but Kham Davis also played nice defense once again. Florida State shot 34% on the floor, as a team. Their size did nothing to score consistently.

My friends, does it not it not feel good to win again? Does it not feel great to beat ranked teams again in our house? Teams and fans are going to learn real soon the Zoo is our house and other teams aren’t coming into our house any more bossing and bullying us around. The force is strong, very strong again right now back in the Zoo. And Florida State just got stunned by Pitt’s 3 headed freshmen death star,.Welcome to the Real Oakland Zoo, Seminole fans. I clearly said to watch out in the future 2 games ago in my posts and BOOM, a Top 11 win in the country.

Onto recruiting

Getting John Hugley is not going to be easy. There are a lot of schools sniffing around him, most of the big ten including Ohio State and Michigan State, plus he took an unofficial to Louisville. And he took a visit to Kansas too on his own doing. The only thing missing are offers. Pitt offered. Chet Mason is handling his recruitment and is his coach. This is the one potential trump card Pitt and Capel have. Mason likes Pitt and Capel a lot and acknowledged how good our freshmen are after the North Carolina game. Mason was also sitting front row, with Hugley, on his visit to Pitt right behind the Pitt bench. So since the question was brought up about coaches and handlers, Hugley’s was on Pitt’s campus with him. This kid is rising quickly. He is a bruiser in the paint and can knock down 3’s. He needs a major strength and conditioning program and he could maybe transition to PF and be a major weapon in college. Expect many schools to get and stay involved. Also expect Pitt to remain on the short list. We want him.

Seaborn is now off the board. A nice get for Keatts and NC State. The question becomes, how does this impact if any Christian Brown and Cameron Thomas, 2 more targets Pitt is looking at that NC State is targeting. Its always interesting how people see things differently. Corey Evans had reported yesterday Seaborn was taking his time and was months out from a decision and would visit Pitt and Georgia. I also got the information he would visit Pitt. I said a commitment was on the near horizon from Seaborn (different from Evans) and he would not sit around like Evans predicted. Seaborn visits NC State and they get the verbal a day later. A nice target now off the board, but not all is lost.

The Champagnie brothers REALLY like Pitt. And will be officially visiting Pitt in the near future. Its quite possible Pitt leads for both of them.

Gerald Drumgoole is also supposed to be visiting. He is a shooter with interest from a few other majors. Pitt has not offered as of yet.

The Big Fish is obviously Hunter Dickinson. Yea, Wahab announces his plan in 16 days. And we need Wahab, he would do very well here as a defensive force on the backline. But Dickinson is the top dog on the big board. If Pitt is able to land a class along the lines of something like Dickinson, Morton, and Timberlake, or something close to it or a long those lines with the same caliber of talent, book your tickets for the Final 4, we are going.

Pitt is back. And the Force is getting Very Strong, Very quick. And it feels really, really, good.

6155950-3436703863-giphy.gif

I like the recruiting enthusiasm, but we need players for next year, not just for 2020

Ellison, Frame, and N'dir are in the rotation and are gone after this season

Ellison is a redshirt junior this season so he will be back next year ..... but you are correct, we do need to get some players for next season ..... we will !

Dickinson is a junior. Any chance to reclassify?

That has been rumored as a possibility but may only be recruiting rumor mongers wishful thinking. There has been no actual hard info on whether either the two DeMatha guys (Dickinson and Timberlake) or the two Loughlin (NY) guys would consider it. There was a rumor that the Loughlin guys (Champaign twins) were supposed to not be interested in reclassifying. Bottom line--no one in fandom really knows anything on anyone possibly reclassifying.

Last edited:
I like the recruiting enthusiasm, but we need players for next year, not just for 2020

Ellison, Frame, and N'dir are in the rotation and are gone after this season
I definitely hear you! In the back of our minds, I'm sure many of us are slightly concerned that these 3 freshman are not going to get any legitimate help until they are juniors or seniors. But, we are just going to have to trust that Capel won't allow that to happen. Yes, we have 5 (or more) scholarships for next year, but Stallings showed us exactly what happens when you throw scholarships at non P5 players.

Reactions: Phil_93.7 The Fan
Dickinson is a junior. Any chance to reclassify?
This is the guy I want most. It has been reported his grades are really good. Dickinson on this team almost completes it. I see the Drumgoole guy is now visiting Pitt. He is supposed to be a shooter, so could be a good add. We need a 3 point shooter. Frame is inconsistent and not a real shooter. Thoughts on these players? Also I wonder with all the Dickinson momentum if it could impact Wahabs decision. It certainly may. Vader?

Last edited:
Reactions: DiehardPanther
I definitely hear you! In the back of our minds, I'm sure many of us are slightly concerned that these 3 freshman are not going to get any legitimate help until they are juniors or seniors. But, we are just going to have to trust that Capel won't allow that to happen. Yes, we have 5 (or more) scholarships for next year, but Stallings showed us exactly what happens when you throw scholarships at non P5 players.
None of the “three freshman “ were signed at this time last season ....relax .

This is where I am at. I dont even pay attention to 2020 because we need guys next year. It would be ashame if these 3 dont get any help. With some nice additions, this could be a Sweet 16 team next year and potentially more than that as juniors.

I am guessing that Capel is going to try to have some of these 2020s reclassify and also land a few good grad transfers.

What more needs to be said. Pitt has now blown out #11 Florida State, beat #26 Louisville, and beat the predicted A10 champion St. Louis. If you aren’t on the bandwagon yet, you should be jumping on very soon as the gas has been punched to the floor and Pitt is making the jump to lightspeed into hyperspace. Jeff Capel is not playing around and neither are the players.

The 3 headed freshmen monster continues to flex hard on the court, Vader style. 57 points from the 3 frosh blasting Florida State tonight. Mcgowens with another 5 steals, and he is trying to become the best defensive player ever at Pitt. His running mate continues to shut down players, Au’diese Toney, who remains playing at hyper speed. The X man needs to play with a lot better control in the future as he has too much Krauser in him forcing the play when it doesn’t have to be forced with careless turnovers. Regardless, this trio is something very, very, special and they are only freshmen! The defense from Mcgowens and Toney is unbelievable for 2 freshmen.

Its time for a little more love for T. Brown too. With 6 points, 7 boards, and another 4 block game against a massive Florida State frontline, the true sophomore continues to improve game by game. A proper nickname should be the flying eraser as this guy wants to be the best shot blocker in the country. Brown has 26 blocks his last 5 games, 4 of which are against ranked ACC teams, an average of over 5 blocks per game. Yea, its time to wake up and smell the coffee. Brown is starting to become real good and reliable. He still gets beat on defense and rebounding and gets caught out of position with his footwork but he is only a sophomore which is exciting. It also won’t show up on the stat sheet but Kham Davis also played nice defense once again. Florida State shot 34% on the floor, as a team. Their size did nothing to score consistently.

My friends, does it not it not feel good to win again? Does it not feel great to beat ranked teams again in our house? Teams and fans are going to learn real soon the Zoo is our house and other teams aren’t coming into our house any more bossing and bullying us around. The force is strong, very strong again right now back in the Zoo. And Florida State just got stunned by Pitt’s 3 headed freshmen death star,.Welcome to the Real Oakland Zoo, Seminole fans. I clearly said to watch out in the future 2 games ago in my posts and BOOM, a Top 11 win in the country.

Onto recruiting

Getting John Hugley is not going to be easy. There are a lot of schools sniffing around him, most of the big ten including Ohio State and Michigan State, plus he took an unofficial to Louisville. And he took a visit to Kansas too on his own doing. The only thing missing are offers. Pitt offered. Chet Mason is handling his recruitment and is his coach. This is the one potential trump card Pitt and Capel have. Mason likes Pitt and Capel a lot and acknowledged how good our freshmen are after the North Carolina game. Mason was also sitting front row, with Hugley, on his visit to Pitt right behind the Pitt bench. So since the question was brought up about coaches and handlers, Hugley’s was on Pitt’s campus with him. This kid is rising quickly. He is a bruiser in the paint and can knock down 3’s. He needs a major strength and conditioning program and he could maybe transition to PF and be a major weapon in college. Expect many schools to get and stay involved. Also expect Pitt to remain on the short list. We want him.

Seaborn is now off the board. A nice get for Keatts and NC State. The question becomes, how does this impact if any Christian Brown and Cameron Thomas, 2 more targets Pitt is looking at that NC State is targeting. Its always interesting how people see things differently. Corey Evans had reported yesterday Seaborn was taking his time and was months out from a decision and would visit Pitt and Georgia. I also got the information he would visit Pitt. I said a commitment was on the near horizon from Seaborn (different from Evans) and he would not sit around like Evans predicted. Seaborn visits NC State and they get the verbal a day later. A nice target now off the board, but not all is lost.

The Champagnie brothers REALLY like Pitt. And will be officially visiting Pitt in the near future. Its quite possible Pitt leads for both of them.

Gerald Drumgoole is also supposed to be visiting. He is a shooter with interest from a few other majors. Pitt has not offered as of yet.

The Big Fish is obviously Hunter Dickinson. Yea, Wahab announces his plan in 16 days. And we need Wahab, he would do very well here as a defensive force on the backline. But Dickinson is the top dog on the big board. If Pitt is able to land a class along the lines of something like Dickinson, Morton, and Timberlake, or something close to it or a long those lines with the same caliber of talent, book your tickets for the Final 4, we are going.

Pitt is back. And the Force is getting Very Strong, Very quick. And it feels really, really, good.

You are right on point with your team assessment. What is the source of your recruiting update? You seem to
have a connection to the coaching staff.

Incredible work. Really enjoyed the increased use of the Star Wars theme. Excellent and fun read as always.

That has been rumored as a possibility but may only be recruiting rumor mongers wishful thinking. There has been no actual hard info on whether either the two DeMatha guys (Dickinson and Timberlake) or the two Loughlin (NY) guys would consider it. There was a rumor that the Loughlin guys (Champaign twins) were supposed to not be interested in reclassifying. Bottom line--no one in fandom really knows anything on anyone possibly reclassifying.

This kind of information can be difficult to ascertain. Don’t think there was much of a hint about McGowens or Toney considering reclassification either, until HCJC came on the scene at Pitt.

Just have to wait and see.

It always seemed that Morton reclassifying was mentioned as a possibility, not a likelyhood.

Onto recruiting

Julian Champagne has been retweeting a bunch of Pitt stuff after beating Florida State. He added a bunch of Pitt people on twitter including multiple coaches and Capel. This is 3 recruits on twitter activly tweeting about Pitt. Dickinson and the Champagnie brothrrs. It would be awesome to get these 3 players and would get the ball rolling . It has to be a great sign to tweet about Pitt and no other teams. Thanks for your posts, vader

Reactions: lilspainishflea
True.
So to summarize this thread. Still no commitments. Pitt remains tied at zero with Notre Dame as the only teams without any.

Our last coach would have had settled for several below ACC ability level guys and had them signed to LOIs by now condemming us to several more years of non-competitiveness in the ACC. I like it better this way and won't be concerned unless the situation has remained unchanged when classes begin next September.

So to summarize this thread. Still no commitments. Pitt remains tied at zero with Notre Dame as the only teams without any.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Pitt will have multiple quality commits within 30 days. I'm not sure what that other person is talking about in regards to Morton. Whether he comes to Pitt in 2019 or 2020, who cares. I didnt see anything implied in the op but again who cares. Its about getting good players, not Stallings type players. I believe Pitt is on the inside track to get some good players. I even read today Christian Brown might visit here.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Pitt will have multiple quality commits within 30 days. I'm not sure what that other person is talking about in regards to Morton. Whether he comes to Pitt in 2019 or 2020, who cares. I didnt see anything implied in the op but again who cares. Its about getting good players, not Stallings type players. I believe Pitt is on the inside track to get some good players. I even read today Christian Brown might visit here.

You're not going out on much of a limb IMO. For anyone to believe that Capel won't bring in talent, they must believe in at least one of the following two statements:

1) that Pitt is such a terrible program that nobody can recruit talent here consistently

and/or

2) that Capel, who has recruited extremely well everywhere he's been, suddenly forgot how to do his job

They're both absurd suggestions. The first is just categorically false and indicates an astonishing degree of insecurity. The second is, I suppose, theoretically possible, but goes against all logic.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
You're not going out on much of a limb IMO. For anyone to believe that Capel won't bring in talent, they must believe in at least one of the following two statements:

1) that Pitt is such a terrible program that nobody can recruit talent here consistently

and/or

2) that Capel, who has recruited extremely well everywhere he's been, suddenly forgot how to do his job

They're both absurd suggestions. The first is just categorically false and indicates an astonishing degree of insecurity. The second is, I suppose, theoretically possible, but goes against all logic.

Correct-
There is absolutely no reason to worry about capel bringing in talent -
Patience.

The next signing period is in April. No committed player is allowed to sign until then per NCAA rules and everyone is a free agent until then; committed or not. When coaches get fired or change jobs after the season, some currently committed guys may decide to change their minds and sign elsewhere. (Remember Xavier Johnson?) Plus there are still some good uncommitted 2019 players. Maybe some will be able and choose to re-classify from 2020 to 2019 (like McGowens and Toney did after Capel was hired by Pitt in 2018). There will also be lots of grad transfers after the season is complete.

Believe things will work out fine for Pitt. Just as they did last April when they signed 4 players (3 FR and a grad transfer) who are playing pretty well for Pitt. Just my opinion. So we'll see what happens.

The next signing period is in April. No committed player is allowed to sign until then per NCAA rules and everyone is a free agent until then; committed or not.

So does this mean that Cockburn who just signed with Illinois can change his mind and sign with someone else? I dont think he committed during the period where he could officially commit. If that is true I suspect Capel and company still may be recruiting him.

So does this mean that Cockburn who just signed with Illinois can change his mind and sign with someone else? I dont think he committed during the period where he could officially commit. If that is true I suspect Capel and company still may be recruiting him.

Yes. He committed but cannot have signed a LOI.

Reactions: PittMan 72

Cockburn is only committed to IL. He can’t sign anything binding until April.

Until he signs he is able to change his mind. No clue if Kofi has any intention of doing that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT