ADVERTISEMENT

Various thoughts on the game and season

gary2

Athletic Director
Jul 21, 2001
I have been right about some things, wrong about others, didn’t get what I wanted and have some yet unrealized expectations.

What I was right about: I said Parker Stewart could play. I said Milligan could not. I said we needed a point guard.

What I was wrong about: I said I felt Samson would play and contribute. He has not(though I would like more proof that he can't contribute).

I thought Peace needed a redshirt. That being said, I thought he would be a better rebounder, stronger and move in a more coordinated manner. It is crazy to say this but I thought he looked his best in the Geo.Tech game. He played 7 minutes and fouled out. He had no stats, but he seemed to move and defend better. I wonder why he did not get into the game tonight. He is a developmental big. There is some athletic ability there that you can try to develop.

I wanted Zegarowski, Golden and Thamba as the recruiting class. We only managed one of the three. No scholarships remain but I have to think one or two might open.

I wanted a healthy season for Luther. That did not happen.

Carr needs to stay out of foul trouble and contribute more. He needs to cut down on turnovers and quit forcing things.

Stevenson appears to either be at a crossroads or has hit a wall. Things could go either way. I hope they go the right way as I think he can be an important player moving forward. He needs to cut down on turnovers, quit forcing things and convert more of his layups. He has provided glimpses of what he can be. Stallings needs to be careful with Stevenson. I do not want to see Stevenson transfer.

I was happy to see Brown play 32 minutes tonight. I know he was only 2 of 9, but he had 6 points, 6 rebounds, 1 assist, only 1 turnover, 2 blocks and 2 steals. If he plays like he did tonight and against Towson, I see Brown as a player moving forward.

I thought Kene played well tonight. Maybe we are starting to see the player he is in practice. If he has found his shot, he has to shoot more. We need the points.

If Davis is to play 32 minutes, he needs to look to do more. He shoots at a decent percentage and rebounds fairly well. He needs to cut down on turnovers. I see him as more of a 7 or 8 rotation guy rather than a 32 minute guy.

On a team like ours, with an absence of scoring, Frame has to play (unfortunately). He needs to drive more and shoot threes less. He is way too careless with the ball (5 assists 14 turnovers in conference). He contributes nothing on the glass. I think he plays much less next season.

We went into this season expecting how many ACC wins with Luther? We expect how many now without him?

Last edited:
I have been right about some things, wrong about others, didn’t get what I wanted and have some yet unrealized expectations.

What I was right about: I said Parker Stewart could play. I said Milligan could not. I said we needed a point guard.

What I was wrong about: I said I felt Samson would play and contribute. He has not(though I would like more proof that he can't contribute).

I thought Peace needed a redshirt. That being said, I thought he would be a better rebounder, stronger and move in a more coordinated manner. It is crazy to say this but I thought he looked his best in the Geo.Tech game. He played 7 minutes and fouled out. He had no stats, but he seemed to move and defend better. I wonder why he did not get into the game tonight. He is a developmental big. There is some athletic ability there that you can try to develop.

I wanted Zegarowski, Golden and Thamba as the recruiting class. We only managed one of the three. No scholarships remain but I have to think one or two might open.

Carr needs to stay out of foul trouble and contribute more. He needs to cut down on turnovers and quit forcing things.

Stevenson appears to either be at a crossroads or has hit a wall. Things could go either way. I hope they go the right way as I think he can be an important player moving forward. He needs to cut down on turnovers, quit forcing things and convert more of his layups. He has provided glimpses of what he can be.

I was happy to see Brown play 32 minutes tonight. I know he was only 2 of 9, but he had 6 points, 6 rebounds, 1 assist, only 1 turnover, 2 blocks and 2 steals. If he plays like he did tonight and against Towson, I see Brown as a player moving forward.

I thought Kene played well tonight. Maybe we are starting to see the player he is in practice. If he has found his shot, he has to shoot more. We need the points.

If Davis is to play 32 minutes, he needs to look to do more. He shoots at a decent percentage and rebounds fairly well. He needs to cut down on turnovers. I see him as more of a 7 or 8 rotation guy rather than a 32 minute guy.

On a team like ours, with an absence of scoring, Frame has to play (unfortunately). He needs to drive more and shoot threes less. He is way too careless with the ball (5 assists 14 turnovers in conference). He contributes nothing on the glass. I think he plays much less next season.

We went into this season expecting how many ACC wins with Luther? We expect how many now without him?
Very well said. Rational post for our board for a change.

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
I'm trying to be rational. And your post was fantastic and touched on alot of stuff I think I think.

When the OOC season was going on, in descending order the Fr and their abilities looked like Carr, Stevenson, and those two seperated themselves from Stewart, Davis and Brown, with Kene and Peace being the biggest question marks.

Now a quarter way through the ACC, it looks like Stewart and Brown have moved past Carr and Stevenson.

Carr, as I remarked in another thread, I still think will be a good player, just we need him to be good now. I compare him to Krauser as he is definitely a dribble drive, fearless PG who is really a combo guard and will score more and not have the typical Assist to TO ratio that is coveted. Just when Krauser was handed the reigns, he was 21 years old, having 1 RS season battling Brandin and Julius everyday in practice and then having his Fr year playing backup to those guys. For Marcus, he does not have that luxury.

Terrell Brown is a guy I am getting more excited about. He definitely has upside and is exhibiting much more than Gary McGhee did at this stage. I think by the time he ends his career here, he will be a good ACC player.

Stewart is now as advertised. As he gets stronger, he will start to drive more, play better defense, but while not having the same length, his FR year is as good or better than Cam's.

Stevenson is a conundrum. Early on, he was invoking Sam Young comparisons. Now he looks completely lost. I am a bit worried, very low BB IQ, but some physical gifts. Definite coaching needed here.

The other guys, I think will be some serviceable role players. Hopefully with Luther coming back, and Golden, either redshirt Peace or have him move on. He does nothing.

Definitely need some guard help, especially at the lead guard. Hopefully the JuCo coming in can play the point.

Agree with most that everyone has posted , but I think with JWF I don’t think he’s careless with the ball I just think his handle is just bad . He always appears to me to be on the verge of losing the ball every time he touches it . This team is hesitate to shoot the ball and it looks like when he’s in there he forces up too many shots because no else will put it up very similiar to JRob .
I like Peaces athletic abilities just think he’s incredibly raw , a redshirt next season would be nice . Unless there’s a guy ready to step in and play I want him on the roster .

Reactions: gary2
Watching the game yesterday I had a similar thought/ concern for Stevenson being a potential transfer candidate. I wouldn’t call it a bad attitude but he definitely looked annoyed or frustrated a good bit yesterday. The losses and futility may be getting to him more than others, of he’s just hitting that freshman wall more so than the others.

Watching the game yesterday I had a similar thought/ concern for Stevenson being a potential transfer candidate. I wouldn’t call it a bad attitude but he definitely looked annoyed or frustrated a good bit yesterday. The losses and futility may be getting to him more than others, of he’s just hitting that freshman wall more so than the others.
Maybe the kid is sick , maybe he has some injury , maybe he’s having some personal problems or maybe he’s hit a wall . Why concern yourself when we don’t know the facts ?

I still really like him and losing him to transfer would be very disappointing.

Reactions: Pitt5593 and gary2
Wow ! You like something are you aware that KS recruited him ?

So many of you SIGers are clouded by your disdain for honest reactions that you totally miss that most Pitt fans both praise and criticize when warranted. We just have very little to praise right now.

Stevenson, Stewart, and maybe Brown are all good pieces. They just aren't great pieces, and the pieces around them are often downright bad. I still have faith that Carr can improve into a good player, but he is not good right now. I feel better about Brown because bigs are notoriously slower to develop than guards. Carr should look better now than he does.

So many of you SIGers are clouded by your disdain for honest reactions that you totally miss that most Pitt fans both praise and criticize when warranted. We just have very little to praise right now.

Stevenson, Stewart, and maybe Brown are all good pieces. They just aren't great pieces, and the pieces around them are often downright bad. I still have faith that Carr can improve into a good player, but he is not good right now. I feel better about Brown because bigs are notoriously slower to develop than guards. Carr should look better now than he does.
No , my problem is with those that forget the situation that exists right now with Pitt bb . KS didn’t creat this mess all on his own , is he the anwser , I doubt it , but it’s not entirely of his making . For whatever reason recruiting at Pitt has sucked since the Y/A class . One of two veteran players he was counting on runs away and the other is out for the season with injury . Like it or not this is the best recruiting class in yrs and unfortunately without any upperclassmen this is what you get . I don’t have unrealistic expectations of what this bunch can do and when they lose another game I’m not going to be researching stats and badmouthing 18 year old kids who are in over their heads right now .
All you basically do is criticize , guess what we all know Pitt sucks right now no one needs to keep reminding us of this .

Reactions: TreesHero

I still really like him and losing him to transfer would be very disappointing.

Of the players that show promise, I'd say Stevenson and Brown are more likely to transfer than Carr, Davis, and Stewart. I don't know why exactly. Just a guess

Of the players that show promise, I'd say Stevenson and Brown are more likely to transfer than Carr, Davis, and Stewart. I don't know why exactly. Just a guess
I would agree with that. Watch how their minutes played raises and falls. I think our coach is doing what the board has preached: Use playing time as both a carrot and a stick.

Davis playing time has started to see fluctuation as well.

I think a Carr - Stewart - Ellison - Stevenson - Brown starting 5 - 1 SR and 4 JRs - Can be a middle of the pack ACC team (with additional help) - I think Davis can be a useful member of the rotation on that team.

He did not get a chance to do much yesterday. When he was in and did get the ball he was usually surrounded by taller players.

I don't know how well he is handling criticism. I think he felt he would be featured more. I really don't think it is a wall. I think it is more a reaction to Stallings coaching. I think the attitude and frustration you are seeing have been present for a while now.

I think Stallings needs to determine pretty quickly what he wants to do with this team: What style to play and who to use and how much.

It can't just be passing it around the perimeter and having Stewart or Frame take a three. Other players need to be involved.

Last edited:
What's wrong with Samson George? Is he too short? Honestly, in short spurts, he seems like a player, scores, dunks, gets rebounds, is shooting 100%, but doesn't play much at all.

Stevenson appears to either be at a crossroads or has hit a wall. Things could go either way. I hope they go the right way as I think he can be an important player moving forward. He needs to cut down on turnovers, quit forcing things and convert more of his layups. He has provided glimpses of what he can be. Stallings needs to be careful with Stevenson. I do not want to see Stevenson transfer.

With Luther maybe 1 win- outside shot at 2 wins. Without him zero seems guaranteed! Neither outcome is fan acceptable--ever!

I wouldn't mind seeing him transfer to the South Side facility if he so wants to transfer. Looks like a kid who could be a helluva a TE or DE. :-0

I really like Shamiel and his athletic ability. I think he is a bit frustrated that his minutes have begun to shrink. This is likely due to the fact that his handle is just not good enough to get to the goal against ACC competition, and KS knows they need to cut down on turnovers. I am sure it will improve over time.

He does his best work down along the baseline. Stallings needs to keep him down low in the offense as much as possible. He can excel there, and he should be a decent offensive rebounder, and should be encouraged to hit the offensive glass more. It wouldn't hurt for him to work on the 8-12 foot baseline jumper, as this is a shot he could get in our offense. I think KS will eventually get him down close to the hoop where he can help us.

I also think Marcus Carr is still on track despite his poor start in ACC play. He has had to do way to much ball handling for this team. I think lately, he has done too much thinking while out there, and now he is not only making too many turnovers, he seems to have lost his shot. I do believe he is quick enough to take guys off the dribble, but, our spacing and lack of scoring ability(except for Parker lately) have left him in way to many high pressure situations.

Last night was a game we could have been in right to the end had anyone of our other guys chipped in to help Parker. Had JWF done anything, that would have been a damn close game. If JWF is going to be that bad, then Davis has to look for his shot.

Anyway, I still like these freshman. I think KS can better define some of their roles and try to simplify some things for them. These kids have talent and are just in a tough position to compete as freshman in a league this good. Lets hope things get better for some of these kids, at this point I don't want to see them transfer.

Last edited:
He does his best work down along the baseline. Stallings needs to keep him down low in the offense as much as possible. He can excel there, and he should be a decent offensive rebounder, and should be encouraged to hit the offensive glass more. It wouldn't hurt for him to work on the 8-12 foot baseline jumper, as this is a shot he could get in our offense. I think KS will eventually get him down close to the hoop where he can help us.

That might all be true, but that simply is not the way that this team plays offense. We are not going to keep Stevenson down low, because this offense does not involve having it's four (or three) play down low. He isn't going to be encouraged to hit the offensive glass more, because that isn't the way that we play offense. And he isn't going to get a ton of 8-12 foot baseline jumpers, because this offense is not geared towards creating or take a lot of 8-12 foot jumpers anywhere.

What you are talking about is for Kevin Stallings to throw his whole offensive philosophy out the window and start playing completely differently. And while I suppose that is, theoretically, possible, I would not suggest anyone hold their breath while waiting for it to happen.

That might all be true, but that simply is not the way that this team plays offense. We are not going to keep Stevenson down low, because this offense does not involve having it's four (or three) play down low. He isn't going to be encouraged to hit the offensive glass more, because that isn't the way that we play offense. And he isn't going to get a ton of 8-12 foot baseline jumpers, because this offense is not geared towards creating or take a lot of 8-12 foot jumpers anywhere.

What you are talking about is for Kevin Stallings to throw his whole offensive philosophy out the window and start playing completely differently. And while I suppose that is, theoretically, possible, I would not suggest anyone hold their breath while waiting for it to happen.
You are certainly right about the Stevenson part of his post.

Stallings believes the game is won at the rim, the 3 point line and the foul line.

Stallings believes the game is won at the rim, the 3 point line and the foul line.

Exactly.

And there actually are good reasons for thinking that way. More and more teams are playing that way because more and more people are coming to realize that mid-range jumpers are simply not a good idea statistically. People simply do not shoot mid-range shots at a high enough percentage to make up for the fact that three pointers are worth an extra point.

The problem isn't our style of play, it's that we aren't good enough to execute that style of play. And we don't really appear to be built to play most other ways.

Exactly.

And there actually are good reasons for thinking that way. More and more teams are playing that way because more and more people are coming to realize that mid-range jumpers are simply not a good idea statistically. People simply do not shoot mid-range shots at a high enough percentage to make up for the fact that three pointers are worth an extra point.

The problem isn't our style of play, it's that we aren't good enough to execute that style of play. And we don't really appear to be built to play most other ways.
Part of the problem is that JWF has taken more shots than anyone else on the team, by a large margin, yet he has the worst shooting percentage, overall and on 3's, of any player who is taking more than 2 shots per game. Our worst shooter is taking the most shots.

Reactions: TreesHero and gary2
Exactly.

Agree

Part of the problem is that JWF has taken more shots than anyone else on the team, by a large margin, yet he has the worst shooting percentage, overall and on 3's, of any player who is taking more than 2 shots per game. Our worst shooter is taking the most shots.
Agree and that has to/had to end - Frame took less shots against Syracuse

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT