ADVERTISEMENT

VB 1st and 2nd Rounds at The Pete

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Heather just said on the football pregame. It obviously wasnt an "official announcement" but said something like if everything works out, that's what they are planning. This would be really cool. I'd wonder if they can fill the lower bowl. I've never been to a volleyball game and I'd go.

Reactions: H2P28 and cabe23
I am sure they can. Pitt probably wants it at the bigger venue
I understand that.But why give up the atmosphere they have at Fitzgerald? I you go you'll enjoy it.I saw Pitt play volleyball at Ohio U.a few years back and I've seen various local high school games in my area.It's a sport that dosen't get it's due in my opinion.At least in this area of the country.

Might there be some seating minimum for a regional? I assume that is what you (and Heather) were referring to?

The players are used to playing at Fitzgerald as well. Don’t mess with what is working. Open up all the bleacher seats if a certain number of seats are required.

Reactions: Black Panther
The players are used to playing at Fitzgerald as well. Don’t mess with what is working. Open up all the bleacher seats if a certain number of seats are required.
I see why they (ath.dept) would want to do it, but I'm like you they would kinda make themselves a neutral host by playing at the Pete.Yeah they will have all fanfare but lose some of the home court advantage.

Might there be some seating minimum for a regional? I assume that is what you (and Heather) were referring to?

There is a minimum seating requirement. The Field House at full "capacity" easily meets that requirement, but can they actually put 4,000 people in there any more?

There are also requirements about things like locker room facilities and camera positions, as well as a requirement that an arena have a system in place that meets the NCAA's requirements for instant replay calls. Again, I have no idea if the Field House as it is currently constituted meets those requirements or not.

Reactions: ThePanthers
Yeah. It's more than where they want to play. There are requirements and they have to bid even if they are a top team.

Yeah. It's more than where they want to play. There are requirements and they have to bid even if they are a top team.

Well, they do have to bid. However if their bid meets the minimum requirements and they are a top 16 seed they will host the first two rounds, and if they are the highest seeded team remaining in their regional they would host the third and fourth rounds. It's not like the NCAA would determine that Pitt is the higher seed but someone else had a "better" bid so Pitt has to play on the road even if they are the highest seed.

There is a minimum seating requirement. The Field House at full "capacity" easily meets that requirement, but can they actually put 4,000 people in there any more?

There are also requirements about things like locker room facilities and camera positions, as well as a requirement that an arena have a system in place that meets the NCAA's requirements for instant replay calls. Again, I have no idea if the Field House as it is currently constituted meets those requirements or not.

Considering that many VB teams play in old bball gyms, its hard to imagine Fitzgerald not meeting whatever minimum requirements there are. For example, the Big West is a good VB conference and their facilities suck. I would guess they still host

I went to the Regionals at University San Diego back in 2016 - Jenny Craig Pavilion only seats 5,100 - it's tiny. That's regionals - not the opening rounds.

Considering that many VB teams play in old bball gyms, its hard to imagine Fitzgerald not meeting whatever minimum requirements there are. For example, the Big West is a good VB conference and their facilities suck. I would guess they still host

I agree in that as far as I know the Field House does qualify. But it being an old basketball arena means that it may very well not have the required camera position and it may not have the NCAA mandated replay system in place. And then again it may. I'm just pointing out that there is more to it than a minimum number of seats, but also that if you do meet the requirements and you are the highest seeded team in your group you are the host.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT