ADVERTISEMENT

VB: Exhibition DUB...

Didn’t seem to be any video or recaps available. Any insight on how Fish was running his rotations?

Didn’t seem to be any video or recaps available. Any insight on how Fish was running his rotations?
There’s a thread on volley talk from a Michigan perspective. Hard to glean much other than Michigan fans are excited they were competitive vs Pitt. Michigan is predicted to finish close to the bottom of their league.

My guess based on how I’ve seen Fisher use exhibitions is that a variety of lineups were used and everyone played .

I have a feeling this team might start a little slower than everyone hopes - but will find an elite groove quickly. We are breaking in new MBs , Torrey is still coming off of pretty significant off season surgery , and likey our best MB missed essentially all of last season with a serious ankle injury.

Edit: reading the Michigan perspective volley talk post - Fairbanks didn’t play in sets 3-5 in an abundance of caution after tweaking her ankle in S2 ( post said she’s fine) . Our MBs were inconsistent ( predictably given inexperience ) and Fish used both a 6-1 and 5-2 ( Sets 1-2) and experimented with 2 liberos at times. Post also said Babcock was absolutely dominant and scored at will.

Last edited:
There’s a thread on volley talk from a Michigan perspective. Hard to glean much other than Michigan fans are excited they were competitive vs Pitt. Michigan is predicted to finish close to the bottom of their league.

My guess based on how I’ve seen Fisher use exhibitions is that a variety of lineups were used and everyone played .

I have a feeling this team might start a little slower than everyone hopes - but will find an elite groove quickly. We are breaking in new MBs , Torrey is still coming off of pretty significant off season surgery , and likey our best MB missed essentially all of last season with a serious ankle injury.

Edit: reading the Michigan perspective volley talk post - Fairbanks didn’t play in sets 3-5 in an abundance of caution after tweaking her ankle in S2 ( post said she’s fine) . Our MBs were inconsistent ( predictably given inexperience ) and Fish used both a 6-1 and 5-2 ( Sets 1-2) and experimented with 2 liberos at times. Post also said Babcock was absolutely dominant and scored at will.
Was he running two setters when Fairbanks was playing? That’s such a huge mistake if he does that this year. Never take your best players off the court unless you have to.

Unfortunately we don’t have the luxury of being able to start slow this year. The OOC isn’t a death trap but we still play good teams on the west coast to kick it off. We can’t afford to drop more than one game in the OOC if we want a shot at a 1 seed and home court up to the final 4

Was he running two setters when Fairbanks was playing? That’s such a huge mistake if he does that this year. Never take your best players off the court unless you have to.

Unfortunately we don’t have the luxury of being able to start slow this year. The OOC isn’t a death trap but we still play good teams on the west coast to kick it off. We can’t afford to drop more than one game in the OOC if we want a shot at a 1 seed and home court up to the final 4
There’s no video evidence of the match -

Quoting directly from vollley talk

“Lineups: Pitt ran a 5-1 with Fairbanks in S1; 6-2 with Fairbanks and Buzlutepe in S2 and a 5-1 with Buzlutepe in S3-5. “

Scores were
25-23; 15-25; 25-17; 15-25; 15-13

Reactions: Chaos and HOF Coach
There’s no video evidence of the match -

Quoting directly from vollley talk

“Lineups: Pitt ran a 5-1 with Fairbanks in S1; 6-2 with Fairbanks and Buzlutepe in S2 and a 5-1 with Buzlutepe in S3-5. “

Scores were
25-23; 15-25; 25-17; 15-25; 15-13
This makes me feel a little better reading the Michigan fan's recap, assuming Faribanks is fully healthy. Always going to be some kinks early, but they won the one set where Fairbanks set all the way around. Buzlutepe has been on the team for what, 3 weeks? Setting is all about timing and there's no way she has the timing down with the team yet.

"Passing was really the name of the game for both sides. Michigan put a lot of service pressure on the Panthers, with VVG and Stafford as the primary targets. And I lost count of how many points Blue scored on tips and dinks, something Pitt really needs to work on. In the end, Babcock was the best player on the floor and pretty much scored at will when they could get the ball to her. Scoring from the middles was pretty nonexistent."

Sounds like passing and coverage defense needs to improve from that scrimmage but that's fixable. Like what I said about setting, using the middles correctly is also all about timing - play Fairbanks for a full match and that will improve. Orgeon will be a good challenge to start in terms of passing because they always serve tough - Mimi Collyer has killed us the past two years with her serve. We'll see how we look for real on Friday

Reactions: PittMBA
I wouldn't lose sleep over this result. In a lot of ways, going up and sweeping a scrimmage is a waste of time. Getting young players some action and working some of your #2's at some positions is what you need, even if it doesn't always go well.

Other thing to remember about volleyball is that chemistry is a huge part of the game. Hearing that the middles weren't great makes me think that the timing was off with a different setter running the offense. That doesn't worry me too much. Especially if passing wasn't sharp. Very hard to set a middle if you're not squared up or trying to run the play from behind the 3m line.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT