ADVERTISEMENT

VB RPI and SOS

plcp

Assistant Coach
May 29, 2001
After an exciting weekend Pitts rpi is at 5. What i think is more telling and may explain why pitt may have reached the highest avca ranking (6) they can hope to achieve in the regular season (unless teams ahead of them start losing) is our sos ranking. We are currently at 24. That said, byu sos is 20 but they did beat stanford and and are undefeated.... and ped state is 37 but that will climb the more they play in conference games. Unfortunately ours will not climb as the acc is not nearly as strong as the BIG or PAC.

Hope to get to 5 today but wisconsin may take the spot probably vacated by nebraska after losing to wisconsin.

Rankings come out around 245 today.

Disclaimer..... im just learning all this so i may be full of kaka.

Last edited:
Reactions: HOF Coach
After an exciting weekend Pitts rpi is at 5. What i think is more telling and may explain why pitt may have reached the highest avca ranking (6) they can hope to achieve in the regular season (unless teams ahead of them start losing) is our sos ranking. We are currently at 24. That said, byu sos is 20 but they did beat stanford and and are undefeated.... and ped state is 37 but that will climb the more they play in conference games. Unfortunately ours will not climb as the acc is not nearly as strong as the BIG or PAC.

Hope to get to 5 today but wisconsin may take the spot probably vacated by nebraska after losing to wisconsin.

Rankings come out around 245 today.

Disclaimer..... im just learning all this so i may be full of kaka.
If we win out, could the NCAA send pitt to PSU in the tourney?

As others have xaid, if pitt wins out (which is possible or even if we lose one) pitt should host first rounds.

Reactions: ThePanthers
Yes but somebody who knows a lot more than me stated pitt will host if they win out or lose one. Hope he is right. Wonder if they would move the 1st round to the pete?

Pitt is now #5 in the updated rankings:

Rank School (First-Place Votes) Total Points Adjusted 2018 Record Previous Week
1 BYU (58) 1593 20-0 1
2 Stanford (6) 1542 18-1 2
3 Minnesota 1472 16-2 3
4 Penn State 1341 17-3 4
5 Pittsburgh 1297 22-0 6
6 Illinois 1260 18-3 7
7 Wisconsin 1205 14-4 9
8 Texas 1182 12-4 8
9 Nebraska 1127 15-5 5
10 Creighton 1016 18-4 10

If we win out, could the NCAA send pitt to PSU in the tourney?

OK, here's a scenario for you. We win out and get the fifth seed in the tournament. The nitters play well enough down the stretch to get the fourth seed. So this year, instead of playing them in the second round of the tournament in nitterville, we play them in the Elite Eight, once again in nitterville.

OK, here's a scenario for you. We win out and get the fifth seed in the tournament. The nitters play well enough down the stretch to get the fourth seed. So this year, instead of playing them in the second round of the tournament in nitterville, we play them in the Elite Eight, once again in nitterville.

yep, 4,5 would be in same regional with 4 home court.

ADVERTISEMENT