ADVERTISEMENT

VB: "Setting is an art..."

Easily the most important position on the floor. A great setter makes all of the difference no matter how great the hitters or liberos are in my opinion.
The rule change will make setting more about getting the ball to a spot -- similar to an out of system play -- than forcing the setter to make a good play after a bad pass. The best setters will still be coveted but you're going to see some awkwardly sloppy stuff in the name of extending rally's and making "great" plays.

The rule change will make setting more about getting the ball to a spot -- similar to an out of system play -- than forcing the setter to make a good play after a bad pass. The best setters will still be coveted but you're going to see some awkwardly sloppy stuff in the name of extending rally's and making "great" plays.
Man, I don’t like that at all. So it seems like they’re watering things down a bit. Are they eliminating doubles and carries?

Man, I don’t like that at all. So it seems like they’re watering things down a bit. Are they eliminating doubles and carries?
Second contact doubles go away for difficult plays. At least that's how it's written. Remains to be seen how that actually looks once the games start. A carry, or lift, is also sort of open to interpretation, now. I'm reading that an open hand motion isn't necessarily to be called but the officials are to consider how long the contact takes. I sort of like that one because I've always thought moving an open hand upward wasn't always a lift. You're starting to see players make contact early in their swing and nearly throw the ball without a whistle (seeing this more in the men's game) and I don't like that at all.

I'll qualify all of that with the notion that many believe a poor set isn't going to be easy to strike because of spin or something but I don't really believe that.

As with everything, have to wait and see how all of this is actually applied. The officials and coaches will all be getting their guidance soon so I will ask and see what that looks like. I know a college official who favors this rule and I'm certain he'll happily explain how it's being explained and even more important, how this trickles down to high school this fall and then juniors over the winter. The current thinking is that high school will informally soften the call for this fall (I'm certain that it will be called differently every night) and that USAV may adopt the same rule as college, soon. Everyone believes that NFHS will make a formal change that aligns with USAV for the season after they make the change since that's usually how it flows. Who knows?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT